Sandwich Kick

by HEAB on October 14, 2011

Something has shifted…I’m not really sure when or why or how, but it hit me the other day when I decided to eat lunch. I made a sandwich and snapped a photo.

PBMarmiteChickenSammie.psd

Peanut butter, diced chicken breast, and marmite on sprouted grain toast. Weird? Probably, but my odd combos is not what this post is about. It’s about just eating and not putting much thought into it. Dare I say, I feel almost normal? Ever since I lost weight, food and I have had a weird relationship, but come on, don’t most food bloggers have a weird relationship with food? I mean we take photos of what we eat and post it for the world to see. That’s just odd. Anyway, a couple of years ago, this is what a typical lunch looked like…

The above is a random photo from October 2009. Gosh, I’m not even sure what it was…some kind of broccoli salad with shrimp and roasted spiralized sweet potatoes? Sounds pretty good actually, and it’s not that I wouldn’t eat something like this now, but sandwiches are just so much easier. Used to freak out if my meals weren’t 75% vegetables. Used to plan out lunch and dinner before breakfast even ended. Used to eat 3 meals a day and 1 snack, nothing more, nothing less. The other day, it was a little after 12-noon. I’d just finished feeding Summer and thought, hmm, I’m hungry, guess I’ll eat something myself. So, I made some toast, decided peanut butter and Marmite is always a good combo and then added Summer’s leftover chicken. Afterwards, I was still hungry and snacked on some Twin Cakes Bakery bites and then made a smoothie about an hour later. My days are now filled with all sorts of things. Meals just kind of happen when they happen and are usually thrown together at the last minute…and I like it that way.

Enid J. October 14, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I read your blog often but have never posted a comment until now, because at this exact moment in time, I find myself eating Emily’s Potato Goat Cheese Salad, with chicken instead of potatoes, inspired by you!

I wanted to leave this comment on your dip post but it was already closed. Anyhow, my point is to tell you that I’m glad you’re back, since you so often make my lunch break entertaining and give me great ideas for new things to try!

HEAB October 16, 2011 at 10:44 am

Thanks Enid. Glad you enjoyed the salad – thus far, I have made it with potatoes, salmon, chicken, and and chickpeas. Summer and I are both addicted to the goat cheese salads! :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats October 14, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I really appreciate this post – as someone who has also lost a lot of weight and has always had a contentious relationship with food,it is so helpful to see someone get past it all and for food to be fuel and enjoyable, and feel good about it. Thank you Heather.

Jennie (the gf-gf) October 14, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I know I didn’t start popping in and leaving comments until this summer, but I found your blog sometime in late 2009, and I remember that post! I agree that relationships with food change – hopefully for the better. I know I was the same way, I had to eat tons of veggies, three square meals, freaked out if I didn’t eat at exactly the same time everyday … my life doesn’t quite fit that schedule anymore, but I’m trying to just relax and go with it.

katie @KatieDid October 14, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I definitely relate to this… I think when I got busy and threw myself into new passions and things I love to do.. that’s when food took a back seat. Yes I blog about it and love to cook, but when it comes to meals these days… I eat when I have time or when I think of it, and I really don’t stress about what it is… mostly whatever I have in the fridge that looks like it’ll fill me up, make me feel good, and keep me going on to my next activity.

Kellie October 14, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Sounds like you have intuitive eating down. I strive to eat like that. I lost weight, then took it to an extreme and developed anorexia. After treatment it is still so hard for me not to plan out every meal and eat the same things everyday (at the same time). Someday I hope to get to a place like you have.

Meagan October 14, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Kellie – google Weston A Price foundation and Marks Daily apple

It get’s easier. You can enjoy food again!

HEAB October 16, 2011 at 10:49 am

Kellie,
You will. Trust me, I still struggle some days – probably always will, but it gets better and easier all the time. Also, I’m not telling you to go out and have a baby or anything, but I must say that having a child has totally changed my perspective on food – & so much for the better! It’s been amazing. I’m so grateful for all that Summer has taught me already.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 14, 2011 at 3:59 pm

YOU’RE BACK!! SO glad!! Missed you!

Lou October 14, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Listen to you – ‘peanut butter and Marmite is always a good combo’ (!) hehehe, you sound like a seasoned pro – love it that you are sharing the yeast spread love (ew sounds SO wrong!) Great post – sometimes a little shift in perspective (read: becoming a new mum) and be SUPER busy and not having all the time in the world simply to think and plan is enough to help realise the bigger picture. Food is fuel. Food is enjoyment. Food is food, just go with it. I hear ya!

HEAB October 16, 2011 at 10:54 am

Lou,
Please know that I will always hold a special place for you in my Marmite/Vegemite lovin’ heart. :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 14, 2011 at 4:05 pm

“My days are now filled with all sorts of things. Meals just kind of happen when they happen and are usually thrown together at the last minuteā€¦and I like it that way.” <– AMEN!

Sort of amazing how motherhood seems to facilitate that, too. Something about having someone else to care for and all the responsibilities that thinking too much about food (or exercise) just isn't the same as it tended to be pre-baby. For me at least.

And I remember so many of your brock salad and spiralized or roasted sweet tater creations :) Feels like just yesterday. And a lifetime ago, all in one :)

I think

J3nn October 14, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Awesome! Sounds like you are at peace with food; it’s a great place to be. I’m getting there more and more each day. Perhaps Summer’s food innocence and simple, yet effective way of eating is rubbing off on momma. We could all learn a thing or two from a baby’s perspective. :)

I’m always on a sandwich kick. A day isnt normal unless I have one! Or two, hehe.

HEAB October 16, 2011 at 10:56 am

Jenn,
Yes! Summer has already taught me so much. It’s amazing what we can learn from babies!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 14, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I completely understand this! I feel liberated in a lot of ways when it comes to food. I never let it control me, but I now let me freak flag fly when I eat and I LOVE it! I’m glad you’ve found another groove. You sound so happy and relaxed by it. I love that!

lindsay October 14, 2011 at 7:53 pm

haha, i am with sarena, i let my freak flag fly. But I also get to use the excuse I married a foreigner. Their eats are better anyway.
Like that combo is totally normal in our house.

HEAB October 16, 2011 at 10:57 am

Lindsay,
Yes…if only CD would accept the Kiwi ways. ;)

Bid October 14, 2011 at 8:44 pm

…you downshifted…

… it’s a good day…

Meagan October 14, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I feel like this happens when you become a mother – or so I’ve heard – just eating what you can when you can.

Hannah October 15, 2011 at 12:05 am

*jumps up and down, cheering* I’ve lost track of the number of food blogs I’ve stopped reading because, to me, they skew too far over the line into disordered eating, no matter ho much it’s clothed in talk of “healthy living”. Thank you for embracing the gloriousness that is a life *not* determined solely by what we put in our mouths, no matter how wonderful food is :)

HEAB October 16, 2011 at 10:58 am

Hannah,
You’re welcome. Thanks for the cheers. :)

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts October 15, 2011 at 4:58 am

Sounds like a pretty healthy, and wonderful, shift to me! Congratulations :)

Lindsey Gump October 15, 2011 at 8:46 am

I am totally looking forward to the day that my life looks a little more like that. I am still in the losing weight stage and being careful and disciplined is required for me right now, and truthfully I am kind of enjoying it too. Each season has it’s own blessing I guess. But it is always nice to enjoy where you are and feel good about it.

HEAB October 16, 2011 at 11:00 am

Lindsey, You’ll be there before you know it…sounds like you already have a positive outlook, and that’s what matters most – in any season. :)

Miava October 15, 2011 at 9:15 am

I was the same way with my babies… I just didn’t plan meals much. But that changed a lot, a lot, when they started school … Quick and healthy seem to be key. Mia ate soup for breakfast almost everyday in kindergarten.

In fact, I started following your blog quite a bit because your meal ideas are always interesting, tasty, and fuss free. I once gave a box cake away because it had 7 steps. Who ever heard of a box cake with 7 steps!!!!

Enjoy your time with Summer… :)

HEAB October 16, 2011 at 11:01 am

Miava,
Thanks so much for reading…soup for breakfast. I must remember that one, and yeah, 7 steps for a boxed cake mix?!? So very wrong! ;)

Samantha October 15, 2011 at 9:48 am

What a rockin’ post! I have a similar style going on. I am all too happy to be over the obsession and just a normal person listening to my body. Not eating what I “should” be eating. But eating what my body wants. Whether it be veggies or bread. YeeHaw!

Yen October 15, 2011 at 10:02 am

I used to be strict. I thought I couldn’t eat both eggs and yogurt all together in some lunch meal. Or I thought my dinner-time starches had to be potatoes or beans only.
Now I have lunch with eggs and yogurt and toast and more. Now, at dinnertime I always have a slice of bread or two, plus dessert. At night, I eat my snacks with chocolate and cookies and much more.
I’m not perfect and I suffer from a lot of binging and poor food choices. But its better to stop the crazy “rules”.

Jess@atasteofconfidence October 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm

It’s so freeing to not put as much thought and worry into what we eat, isn’t it?

HEAB October 16, 2011 at 11:01 am

Jess,

Kristin @ STUFT Mama October 15, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Heather- so glad you’re back. I totally hear oyu on meals just happening,especially with little ones. Ahh…… And….. sometiems the whole food blogging thing gives me more issues than I need (or ones I don’t want to di up). I’m liking the new HEAB shift. :) That sandwich is a little weird, but just normal enough to make me want to try it. :)

HEAB October 16, 2011 at 11:04 am

Kristin,
Yep, I’ve changed a lot since I started blogging – definitely for the better. I look back at some of my old posts and cringe. Definitely some issues there that I needed to deal with. However, my food has been and will probably always be a little weird. ;)

Samantha October 15, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I hope to one day have a similar outlook on food. Still struggling though. I saw marmite and vegemite last week in a coffee shop / specialty grocery and ALMOST bought some but haven’t gotten up the guts to try it yet!

HEAB October 16, 2011 at 11:04 am

Samantha,
Be brave my friend…try it! :)

Nicole October 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I just came across your blog and I want to try the diet you have been doing but I was wondering your take on dairy, like milk and cheese? Are these good or going to sabotage me? Thanks!

HEAB October 16, 2011 at 11:08 am

Nicole,
I have to watch my dairy intake b/c my body doesn’t handle whey and casein, the proteins found in dairy, very well. You can read more about it in this post: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/04/15/youre-going-to-give-up-greek-yogurt/. Therefore, I try and only eat full fat dairy products since they are higher in fat and lower in protein. Butter and cream don’t seem to bother me at all, and I’ve been eating more cheese lately. However, when I start eating a lot of yogurt and cottage cheese is when my problems usually begin. So, to answer your question, I think dairy is fine if your body has no problems with it – milk and cheese will not sabotage you, but I am a full fan of full fat…the way nature intended dairy to be. :)

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee October 15, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Great post! I’m glad you’re happier with your eating habits now. I find that if I don’t plan my meals in advance, I just open the fridge, see what’s there, and sometimes make a really unexpected, creative and delicious meal out of the most random ingredients! :)

doris @vanillacocoberry October 16, 2011 at 4:07 am

heather, didnt you have a recipe with carob/cocoa powder and peanut butter mixed in??? I cant find it! please help!

HEAB October 16, 2011 at 11:11 am

Doris,
Would love to help – was it a cake or muffin type recipe? Perhaps my 2-ingredient fudge? Ashley made a pb version here: http://edibleperspective.com/2011/01/a-fudgy-treat/. I’ve made PB blondies with carob chips: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/07/05/happy-birthday-einstein/. Let me know if you remember anything specific about the recipe, and I’ll try and find it.

Kristen October 16, 2011 at 6:27 am

What an awesome feeling to have a “normal” relationship with food. I have had my moments of being super obsessive over food and it’s really unhealthy. It’s hard to find the balance though of being a “normal” eater, but still being healthy. Congrats!

Shelby October 16, 2011 at 8:57 am

Sandwiches are making my life right now. I haven’t had them in so long and I’ve been eating them daily now. At first I was like “How am I going to get at least 2 servings of veggies with this?” and then I realized “WHO CARES?!” Sandwiches are delicious.

HEAB October 16, 2011 at 11:12 am

Shelby,
Exactly. AND, you could always add spinach and red peppers to any sandwich. Voila – 2 servings of veggies! :)

{ 1 trackback }