‘Bout Time

by HEAB on October 18, 2011

I’ve always been jealous of my friends living in Boston and Chicago since they have a Dunkin’ Donuts on every corner. What do we have on every corner in Nashville? Walgreens, and you simply cannot get a good cup of coffee at Walgreens.

I love Dunkin’ Donuts Coffee, and the company finally decided to add one of their establishments to our neighborhood.

DunkinDonutsCoffeeCropped.psd
DunkinDonutsChucks.psd
WhatAreYouDrinking.jpg

What are you drinking on this lovely Chuck Taylor Tuesday morning?

P.S. Dearest Frothy Monkey, you are and will always be my favorite coffee shop in town.

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City October 18, 2011 at 10:55 am

I was totally new to Dunkin Donuts when I moved to NYC. They’re freaking everywhere!

This morning I had a skinny caramel macchiato from Starbs. Immediately after I bought it, I remembered that spending $5 on a coffee is so stupid! I should make the switch.

HEAB October 18, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Caitlin,
Yeah, DD is much cheaper, but no caramel macchiatos available. However, they do offer some espresso drinks, just nothing super fancy.

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat October 18, 2011 at 10:56 am

I’ve always been jealous too! We have the coffee in Thornton’s gas stations but it’s not the same, especially after I visited a “real” one in New Jersey. I keep waiting for us to get one. It seems like Louisville has that same Walgreens problem. Oh and McDonald’s!

HEAB October 18, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Sarah,
At least McDonald’s serves decent coffee. ;)

Tabitha October 18, 2011 at 10:57 am

I have always loved their coffee – with cream. When I lived in the US, me and my two beagles ( ah, another life now) would drop by every morning and the cute pups always scored doughnut holes for free!

HEAB October 18, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Tabitha,
Really? My dogs would be oh so happy to receive donut holes…perhaps a little too happy. They already beg and beg for walks…I cannot imagine what they’d do if donut holes got involved. ;)

Health Bee October 18, 2011 at 11:17 am

Hi Heather,

I love coffee! I love the hand-brew coffee from our local coffee shop that uses the Chemex coffee maker. Yum….. I should stop by there soon. :-)

HEAB October 18, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Health Bee,
Yes, you should. :)

Health Bee October 18, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Thanks. BTW, thanks so much for the Joyva tahini recommendation. I finally tried it and it tastes sooooo good. I must say that roasted sesame seed butter is delicious!

Pamela | Girl Gone West October 18, 2011 at 11:26 am

Nothing beats Frothy Monkey!!!!!!!

Where is the new Dunkin’ Donuts? I feel so out of the loop since I moved!

HEAB October 18, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Pamela,
Village at Vanderbilt – where Roly Poly used to be. :)

Kaneil October 18, 2011 at 11:32 am

hey! Where is the new DD going?? I haven’t seen the signs! I am equally excited for the donuts as I am for their coffee. :)
Kaneil

HEAB October 18, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Kaneil,
Village @ Vanderbilt – where Roly Poly used to be. Go get your preggo belly a big donut! :)

Kaneil October 18, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Nice! I bet that will be quite the successful location! I will have to head that way soon :) Baby Ritt is a HUGE fan of baked goods. haha

Kate October 18, 2011 at 11:33 am

Dunkin donuts hot chocolate. I’m 39 weeks pregnant and their hot chocolate has been my number one craving for the past month or so. Can’t. Live. Without. It!

HEAB October 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Kate,
Hot chocolate was the only beverage I wanted when I was pregnant. Well, that and OJ. We have Keurig coffee maker, and I made CD order so many Green Mountain hot chocolate K-cups. If there should be a HEABlet #2, I will have to try out DD’s hot cocoa!

kalli October 18, 2011 at 11:36 am

i am drinking a good cup of joe from a local small coffe shop with some almond milk…..heaven for sure! you know i have never tried DD coffee. is it that good?

HEAB October 18, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Kalli,
I like it, but I’m not super picky when it comes to coffee and actually prefer McDonalds coffee over Starbucks. I prefer my coffee a little weak.

Jennie (the gf-gf) October 18, 2011 at 11:40 am

Very cute! I have actually never tried Duncan donuts coffee, but I hear it’s excellent. I’m a Starbucks girl myself :-) but today, coffee sounded bleh, I’m sticking with black tea!

HEAB October 18, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Jennie,
If you’re a Starbucks girl, I don’t think you’d like Dunkin’ coffee. It would be too weak for your taste buds. ;)

Jennie (the gf-gf) October 18, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Thanks – good to know! It’s true, I like my coffee very strong :-)

lindsay October 18, 2011 at 11:49 am

Would you believer that I am actually drink tea right now, green tea. WHO AM I?? We just got a dunkin donuts too. I like but I’ll still to my local coffee shop, java dive.
;)

katie @KatieDid October 18, 2011 at 11:59 am

Wo I can’t believe they are expanding down south, I thought we were the only lucky ones. I actually prefer starbucks or other small coffee shops to Dunkins, I find their coffee is a little weak for me. Although their iced coffee is another story… love that!
I’m drinking hot chocolate on this lovely tuesday… been off and on the joe lately but today was an off day! I’m glad to not be dependent on it, but I still enjoy it when I do decide to drink.

HEAB October 18, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Katie,
I know, I like the weak stuff, and I LOVE DD iced coffee, especially b/c when you ask for a large, you really get a large. 12 ounces does not = large in my opinion. ;)

Lara October 18, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Hey Heabie, just catching up on your posts, and I am so glad you are making some changes to the blog that work for you. I have always wondered how you don’t go out of your mind interacting so much with you readers, and always being so genuine about it, too! I hope this is a good compromise that allows you to have that interaction and still have time for the Heab family :) Love ya!

HEAB October 18, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Lara,
Me too – I did leave my mind several times this past year…getting closer and closer to finding it again. Thanks for the support. :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood October 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Hehe, luckily for me I have a Dunkin’ Donuts and Starbucks on almost every corner here in New York ;) I’ve tried their apple cider and it tasted like glorified apple juice :( However, I’m super excited to try their pumpkin spiced latte and see if theirs taste better or my future homemade version will! :-D

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 18, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Tim Hortons

HEAB October 18, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Samantha,
I’ve only had Tim Horton’s once – when I was in Vancouver. Fond memories of that coffee. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) October 18, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Congrats on your first neighborhood DD! Their coffee is so good (better than Starbucks!)

We had DD long before a Starbucks here in upstate NY, so I felt the same way when everyone had a Starbucks and a Krispy Kreme and we didn’t. :D (We still don’t have a Kirspy; it went out of biz 2 years after opening the only one in the area!)

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 11:33 am

Jenn,
What? No Krispy Kreme? Oh well, perhaps that’s a good thing? ;)

Bid October 18, 2011 at 2:15 pm

“What are you drinking on this lovely Chuck Taylor Tuesday morning?”

…Diet Pepsi… not proud… ;-)

Alyssa October 18, 2011 at 2:22 pm

We used to stop at Dunkin’ Donuts after swimming lessons. Ah, memories!
Now if only they’d open some on the west coast…

Jen October 18, 2011 at 2:56 pm

No DD around here :( – but…I really just wanted to say that I LOVE, love, love your hair!! Tres belle :)

Katie October 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm

No DD here either, but you can buy the coffee in the grocery store. Its so good…makes me wonder what they put in it.

Jill October 18, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I’m sooo happy about the DD. I love their caramel coffee with a little milk. I actually don’t think it’s super sweetened w/sugar or anything (just somehow caramel flavored?). Definitely makes my orthodontic appts a little better to know I can “reward” myself with DD after!

My drink this a.m. was green tea. Fail! I keep trying to psych myself into thinking that I get a nice “calm” burst of energy after I drink it and that I like the “delicate” flavor. Both are false-I should have just done my pts. a favor and had my usual coffee!

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 11:31 am

Jill,
Yes, they don’t add sugar to their flavored coffees. Never had teh caramel but will try it next time. Still trying to get my schedule worked out with my mom, and Summer is now napping once a day instead of twice. Really, these babies should come with manuals. ;)
Will email you soon about lunch/Jeni’s!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Glad you got a Dunkin’ !

It’s funny that in Aruba, there are a few Dunkin’ Donuts coffee shops and I end up in DD’s more often than I can tell you over the holidays :)

Sally October 18, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Yeah that! I can’t live without my Dunkin Donuts K-Cups!

Eden October 18, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I always get jealous of the Chi town/NYCers too!

Rumor is LA is getting one. But so far, no Dunkin. just tons of this little coffee shop called “Starbucks”. Have you heard of it? Any good? ;)

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 11:30 am

Eden,
Startbucks – yeah, we have a few of those. Not a huge fan. Tastes burnt to me. ;)

cynthiasolc October 18, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I am SO jealous!

We used to have 4 in my city, one near work and one on the side we were going to move to. Needless to say, both the one at work and the one close to our new house closed within a month of each other. I was a bit devastated :(

Luckily, I can always swing by when I’m on the other side of town!

BTW, have you tried the new Salted Caramel Mocha at Starbucks? It is highly addictive and such a great combo I would have never thought of!

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 11:28 am

Cynthia,
That’s a bummer, but at least you still have a DD within driving distance, and no, I have not tried the new salted Mocha, but that sounds divine. LOVE a good salty sweet caramel. My new favorite ice-cream is the Gravel Road flavor from Jeni’s Ice-Cream here in Nashville – it’s salted caramel with smoked almonds. AMAZING, and I think you’d love it. :)

janetha October 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm

We have Walgreen’s.. and no DD. I don’t want a DD, but I do want a Trader Joe’s!

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 11:26 am

Janetha,
Yeah, if I had to choose between the two, it would be Trader Joe’s, hands down!

Errign October 18, 2011 at 5:54 pm

This post totally made me grin, since I grew up in New Hampshire, where one of the only “fast food” options is DD, and ironically, smelling it in the car makes me carsick since my mom used to always be drinking it with the heat on full blast in the winter. *shudder* :D

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 11:25 am

Errign,
Isn’t it funny how we associate strong smells with various memories. I promise never to drink DD coffee in the car with you! :)

The Delicate Place October 18, 2011 at 6:09 pm

i drank vanilla oolong tea today, i like to mix it up and do coffee on the weekends! i like the smell inside dunkin, it’s kinda irresistible!

blinchiki October 18, 2011 at 8:10 pm

love Dunkin Donuts and usually on their opening day they offer free coffee! Get in line (:

Abi October 18, 2011 at 9:28 pm

My new obesession: iced Jasmine Green Tea (made from looseleaf) :)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco October 18, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Congrats on getting your own DD! Dunkin’ Donuts, won’t you come to LA? ;)

Lisa@ChocolatePBCups October 18, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I’m from the Boston area and you’re right… there is literally a DD every block!! It’s easy to kind of take for granted because I’m so accustomed to it up here!

Brittany @ Pretty Fit, Pretty Healthy, Pretty Happy October 19, 2011 at 2:14 am

I sadly STILL have this problem living in L.A. We have a Starbucks or Coffee Bean on every corner, but the closest Dunkin Donuts is Vegas. That’s a little far for me.

I agree– their coffee is AMAZING. I just have to settle for buying it at the grocery store until my next trip home to Florida. :)

Hannah October 19, 2011 at 2:35 am

Oh my gosh, my Australian heart is so sad that the best coffee in your neck of the woods comes from a Dunkin’ Donuts! Heather, you need to get over here, at least on a holiday, and experience the joy that is amazing coffee in one of our myriad lovely cafes :P

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 11:24 am

Hannah,
Definitely NOT the best, but it’s still yummy. I love my local coffee shop more – but DD is always good for a quick (& inexpensive) caffeine fix! :)

Annie October 19, 2011 at 3:57 am

I think I’ve gotten all of the DD I need in my lifetime, having lived in New England for 25 years. It is good, I’ll admit. I have fond memories of having hot chocolate and blueberry muffins from DD as a kid :)

Krista (kristastes) October 19, 2011 at 7:42 am

I was just in Franklin/Nashville for my best friend’s wedding this past weekend and there ARE walgreens everywhere and no dunkin donuts! And frothy monkey will always be in my top 5 neighborhood coffee shops!!! :)

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 11:22 am

Krista,
Oh, I hope you enjoyed your stay. What a beautiful weekend it was for a wedding! :)

emily October 19, 2011 at 9:19 am

Heather, love your blog.. am a long time reader. I couldn’t find any way to contact you so I hope you don’t mind me just doing it in the comments. I have tried to make home made peanut and almond butter and while the taste is usually good, the consistency is always like a clumpy paste! Last night I roasted my almonds, let them cool, stuck them in the food processor and when it got creamy, I added about 2 T. of agave (I was using about 2 cups of almonds). It suddenly got so clumpy and hard! No matter how long I kept processing… I can cut it with a knife.. its kind of weird. It tastes good but i’m so discouraged! What am I doing wrong? Why is it that as soon as the agave hit it, the consistency changed?

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 11:22 am

Emily,
I’m not sure, but I’m thinking it might be your food processor. What brand are you using? The nut butter should not clump up like that, especially after letting it process for a while. It can sometimes take 10 to 15 minutes, and with nuts that are higher in fat (like macadamia or Brazil), it should take less than that. If you want to sweeten your nut butter, you could always try adding the sweetener to it in a blender, but again, it should work in the food processor, and I’m not sure why it’s not. Sorry, I don’t feel like I’ve been much help. I’ll keep thinking!

emily (a nutritionist eats) October 19, 2011 at 10:24 am

I am obsessed with DD – but they are never around me either! Such a bummer!
Coconut coffee + cream is my fave!

Emma October 19, 2011 at 10:27 am

Hey Heather,
I “found” you a few months ago and have enjoyed reading your blog ever since– I love your protein ice cream and make a spin-off of your ABU sauce nearly every week. I subscribed via Feedburner but have missed the past several posts for some reason, and when I tried to re-subscribe it says that I am already signed up. I have checked my spam folder and the emails aren’t there– do you know what is going on?
Thank you!

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 11:18 am

Emma,
Thanks for reading and for letting me know about the Feedburner problem. Apparently, it was no longer picking up my feed, and I think I fixed it…I hope. Will you please let me know if you still aren’t receiving my posts via email. Thanks so much!
In ABU love, Heather :)