I Like To Make Things

by HEAB on October 19, 2011

Because I’m a girl and like pretty things, I thought about buying a tiered food serving thingy, but after pinning this, I figured I could make my own.

So, after a trip to Goodwill for the candlesticks and trays/pans ($6 total!), Michael’s for the glue, and Home Depot for the spray paint, it was DIY time.

BuffetSupplies.psd

I painted…

SprayPaintedCandleSticks.jpg

I then glued and allowed to dry for 48 hours, and voila…

BuffetDIY2.psd

I now have a 3-tiered buffet serving thingy or a coloring/art project caddy sort of thing. Fun, no?

Holly October 19, 2011 at 11:13 am

A-freaking-dorable. I guess spray painting the pans wouldn’t make them food safe, huh? Still amazing and shabby-chic as is. It makes me want to do some “upcycling” of my own. Gorgeous!

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Holly,
Probably not, but you could always use one with fully spray painted pans for non-food items. Would be all colorful and super cute. :)

Annie October 19, 2011 at 11:13 am

So clever and cute!

Mama Pea October 19, 2011 at 12:07 pm

So cute! I can’t even fix a hole in Gigi’s sweater this morning. You’ve got mad skillz, girl.

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Mama Pea,
Two words for you: duct tape.

J3nn October 19, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Very cool! I used to love my Crayola spinning art caddy when I was little. It makes artsy stuff extra fun. You are going to have a blast introducing Summer to all of those great things; colors and art supplies are so fascinating the first time around. :)

Rosa - Fitness Food Fulfilled October 19, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I love that idea! I love how you can totally customize it to how you want it to look. Very cool!

lindsay October 19, 2011 at 12:29 pm

resourceful, i like it! lets see what else you got up your “pinning” sleeves.
;)

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Lindsay,
So many pins, so little time. ;)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate October 19, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Cuuuuute!!! I love crafty home decorating!

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness October 19, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Very cute!!!!

robyn jones clark October 19, 2011 at 1:17 pm

super cute!! love it! ;)

charlotte October 19, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I love making stuff like this! I’m a thrift store junkie and love doing this kind of project – yours turned out sooooo cute!

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Charlotte,
Yes! You inspired me to look for sheets for curtains at Goodwill. Still haven’t found any I love, but always on the lookout.

the delicate place October 19, 2011 at 2:03 pm

um. i have this special spot near my place called ‘construction junction’ if you ever come to pittsburgh, you are coming with! it’s brought me loads of inspiration and nate & i both tons of projects. we actually have a small gallery/work space in our basement (he screenprints & i pretend i’m an artist haha) the walls are push pin so it’s great for us to storyboard our ideas!

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 9:24 pm

DP,
Yes, I think I would love the Construction Junction. Sounds like my kind of place…as does your basement. ;)

Health Bee October 19, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Great creativity! Love the colors & lighting in the last photo!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 19, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I love stuff like this! It definitely gives things more of your own personality! Too cute!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 19, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Cute DIY project. And between Pinterest and Etsy, I pretty much have a full day’s reading if I want to…love it all :)

And thrift stores & Goodwill. Just posted about some dishes I found. 7 pieces for 7 bucks. Gotta love thrifting. And DIY’ing.

Love your creation!

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Averie,
Yes, totally thought of you when I walked by the dishes at Goodwill b/c I know you’ve purchased some really cute ones there. When I have more time to shop around, I’m going to go back and stock up!

Nolita @ Morganic October 19, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Oooh! I have one of those I picked up on a great sale from Dillard’s a few years back – I used this for desserts but I think I need one “for the kids”:

Love the colors and the term “upcycling” that Holly used…so true and your tiered trays look so cute. I seriously might have to make something similary for the kids’ crayons and other small play things. Thank you for the inspiration!

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Nolita,
Yes, you totally need to make one. So easy, and I want to make more using different colors. Would also make a great gift!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count October 19, 2011 at 4:03 pm

What an incredible idea! Thanks, Heather!

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Fran,
Welcome. Not mine originally, but happy to help spread the idea. So cute and easy!

katie @KatieDid October 19, 2011 at 4:30 pm

All it needs are mounds of HEAD oaties and other yummy creations and it will be complete! LOVE it, I really want to try making something like this, but I never make baked goods so I’d have to find something else to fill it.

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Katie,
So many possibilities – no baked good required. :)

Lou October 19, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Cute! I love DIY projects (when they turn out good!) it’s fun to experiment + you end up with something no one else has. Man I love goodwill stores :)

Lauren October 19, 2011 at 5:05 pm

So cute, Heather! I love your pins :)

Samantha October 19, 2011 at 5:57 pm

yay for Dunkin’ Donuts! (previous post w/ closed comments). Although like you, I love to find a little local place. Starbucks abounds here, but there’s a tea shop in a mall closeby and while their food is good but PRICEY, their cafe au lait is insanely good…this coming from the black coffee lover!

Your project turned out splendid, that blue is just gorgeous!

Denise @ Kumara Mash October 19, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Long time reader, first time commenting on your blog!

Just wanted to say that you need to try Marmite made in NZ, not that horrid british stuff ;-) I’ve always been a Marmite girl, can’t stand the taste of Vegemite.

I also love that DIY project, I like the contrast of the baby blue to the stainless steel :-)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com October 19, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Pinterest brings out the inner-DIY of everyone! Nice piece, honey :)

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Kiran,
Ha, so true. :)

Patti October 19, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Lovely!

liz dean October 19, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Very fun!!!!

And WELCOME BACK!!!!!! You’ve been dearly missed! For some reason my feed hadn’t loaded…and then BAM! there you were!!! I was thinking of you the other day when I literally bought 6 bottles of soul seasoning when they were bogo! lol

xoxo

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Liz,
Thank you and really enjoying my Soul Seasoning – think of you every time I use it. So yummy on eggs! A reader informed me that my blog was not being posted via email, and I fixed it today. Happy to hear I made it to your inbox. :)

caroline October 19, 2011 at 8:39 pm

oh my!! this is soo cute! i really want to make something like this.. i love good-will for cheap objects that anyone can turn into masterpieces.. this is what i plan on doing for my home when i am older! :) thanks for the inspiration

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Caroline,
Your welcome. Huge fan of Goodwill myself.

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Caroline,
*YOU’RE welcome. Oops. ;)

Kilee October 19, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I still haven’t totally figured out Pinterest, let alone create something that I saw on there. Such a fun idea for your pretty project! I will devote some time to getting the hang of Pinterest and then probably spend WAY too much time on there haha!

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Kilee,
Yes, beware, Pinterest is highly addictive! ;)

~Christy @ wonderofallthings October 19, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Very fun! Question for you…I’ve been looking through your site for a while and I’m curious about all the links you have in addition to your foodbuzz ads…for example, yoga download. Are those links ads, partnerships, sponsorships? Just curious if they are money makers as well…any info you can provide would be great! Thanks!

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Christy,
Under my current contract with Foodbuzz, I’m allowed no other paid advertisement on my blog. However, I do have affiliate accounts with iherb, Goddess Leonie, and just recently added YogaDownload to my sidebar. I was asked to be a Love Grown Food Blogger and agreed b/c I love the company’s granola, and the Emily Smallcomb Family Photography ad is simply because I think Emily takes beautiful photos, and I wanted to help spread the word.

HEAB October 19, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Christy,
P.S. Let me know if you’d like to more about how the affiliate accounts work, and I will email you. Honestly, I’m not in blogging to make money, and most of my blog income comes from the foodbuzz ads, but I do make a little from the affiliate accounts. That being said, I only sign up to promote businesses I truly believe in and used or shopped from myself before I agreed to be an affiliate.

~Christy @ wonderofallthings October 19, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Thanks, Heather! I would love to know more about affiliates and how that all works…I really appreciate your time.

Emmy (Wine and Butter) October 19, 2011 at 11:46 pm

YAY! Youre back!! You only showed up in my RSS feed just know though!
Read your first post and it’s brilliant. AND your second which I loved as well. I also had a really funny conversation with Louis and our new housemate the other day (yes, us newlyweds have a housemate – can you say financial downturn!?). Anyway we all used to live together about 4 years ago and she was asking who did most of the cooking now (for a while we never used to cook). We said us at weekends and me during the week, and Louis said ‘Im now allowed to cook during the week’. Our roomie (well not QUITE), who is also a good friend of mine, said ‘oh ha ha…. because of all the fat, Louis you do like to add butter to EVERYTHING’. and me and louis looked at each other and he sort of laughed and was like ‘no, not because of THAT… because I make too much mess in the kitchen’. How things have changed!!
And defo for the better. Love you, look forward to reading more! xoxo

Emmy (Wine and Butter) October 19, 2011 at 11:48 pm

uh that should read *NOT allowed…. otherwise the story totally loses it point!

HEAB October 20, 2011 at 10:11 am

Hi Emmy,
Yes, I’m back! My feedburner feed was messed up, but I fixed it yesterday. So, happy to hear I made it to your inbox. So funny about Lou – I don’t fear CD’s generous usage of butter, but yeah, his cleaning skills could use a little work. ;)

Sami October 20, 2011 at 7:56 am

totally pinterest worthy ;)

xo.