Easy Homemade Teething Biscuits

by HEAB on October 20, 2011

For my next few posts, I’m going to share some of my favorite HEABlet recipes. We’ve been feeding her solids ever since she was 6 months old and never did the pureed thing. People often email me asking what we’re feeding the wee one, and so I thought I’d share some of our favorite snacks and meals.

Although the babe loves her Baby Mum Mum Rice Biscuits, we needed some more on-the-go snacks that she could easily hold in hand in her hands. Lou’s Teething Rusks to the rescue! I love this simple and quick recipe, and she loves gnawing on them. I followed Lou’s method, but for the brown rice bread, I microwaved it for 30 seconds first to soften it up a bit – otherwise, it breaks apart if you try to roll it. I then spread a tee tiny smidge of My First Vegemite onto the bread (thanks again for sending Lou!), rolled it up, and microwaved again for 30 seconds. That’s all it takes. Easy, and if you don’t have Vegemite, Lou recommends using miso paste. We also enjoy them with sunflower seed butter.

VegemiteTeethingBiscuitsTouchUp.psd

Health Bee October 20, 2011 at 11:35 am

That’s a lovely recipe. Summer is a lucky baby!

Rose October 20, 2011 at 11:52 am

That’s pretty inventive. A double whammy – snack & chew toy!

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City October 20, 2011 at 12:26 pm

awww my first vegemite :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 20, 2011 at 12:29 pm

My kids never did the pureed thing either. I think eating what we eat definitely helps with how they eat now. Max would have loved this.

HEAB October 21, 2011 at 11:36 am

Sarena,
I agree – and hope Summer doesn’t morph into a super picky eater. My brother ate nothing but cereal growing up – he turned out fine, but I’m hoping she love all foods as I am not a fan of cooking different dinners for each family member, you know? Although, I guess cereal doesn’t involve much cooking. ;)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 20, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I used to buy these organic fruit leather type things from the health food store as a teething tool. They were (are) incrdibly thick and chewy and not a choking hazard..spacing on the brand name. But she used to gnaw on those. Kind of like giving a dog a toy filled with peanut butter…they will sit quietly for hours afterward :)

Love your idea!

HEAB October 21, 2011 at 11:37 am

Averie,
Let me know if you remember the brand name…”sit quietly for hours afterward”? Yes please. :)

Holly October 20, 2011 at 2:24 pm

That brown rice bread is seriously the best stuff ever. HEAB Family has great taste (no pun intended?).

HEAB October 21, 2011 at 11:37 am

Holly,
Summer and I both concur. Love that bread! :)

Laura October 20, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Ohhh I make these all the time. The baby loves them. I put whatever he’s loving on the most at that particular time in the middle. I’ve used avocado, applesauce, mashed sweet potatoes, and lentils. They’re all big hits!

HEAB October 21, 2011 at 11:38 am

Laura – great idea on all the different spreads. So many possibilities! :)

Lou October 20, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Yay! Did Summer dig the Vegemite? (if she’s anything like her Mama….) My dog keeps stealing the rusks from Misty – although he does hold them out as if he is offering a treat, so who can you blame? Misty loves a good Vegemite + cheese mousetrap too (cut into tiny squares) he is crazy for CHEESE.

HEAB October 21, 2011 at 11:40 am

Lou,
She totally digs it. I sometimes add it to her favorite baked potato combo at dinner and can’t help but take a few bites myself. That child also loves cheese more than anything! Made her some chickpea pancakes and she fed the one I covered in sunflower seed butter to the dogs, but the one with butter and melted cheese? Well, the dogs did not get ONE single bite. ;)

Hannah October 20, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I’m pretty much even more in love with you right now for ensuring that Summer will be a vegemite kid too ;) She’ll fit right in when you move to Australia :P (Though I must, must ask… when you talked about vegemite in your comparison post, was that with real vegemite, or this My First Vegemite? They’re really quite different…)

HEAB October 21, 2011 at 11:41 am

Hi Hannah,
I’d thought you’d approve, and just so you know, I have my own supply of big girl Vegemite…good stuff too! :)

STUFT Mama October 20, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Ha ha! That recipe is just my style. :) Love it! Summer is one lucky girl. (Is it normal to read “vegemite” with an accent? Everytime I see it on your blog I read it with an accent. ha!

HEAB October 21, 2011 at 11:42 am

STUFT,
Haha, yes, you must say Vegemite with an accent…also helps to sing “A Land Down Under” at the same time. ;)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood October 21, 2011 at 10:17 am

Awww I can’t get over “My First Vegemite” and how cute that is! ;)