Least Complicated

by HEAB on October 21, 2011

Applesauce: Bring 4 chopped apples + 3/4 cups water + pinch of Celtic sea salt to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 20 minutes.

CookingApples.psd

During the final 12 to 15 minutes of apple cooking, plop a steamer basket filled with chopped sweet potatoes on top of apple pot and cover…

SteamingSweetPotatoes.psd

For smooth applesauce, allow cooked apples to cool and then puree in blender or food processor. For chunkier applesauce, simply mash with a potato masher. Applesauce and steamed sweet potato chunks are served…

Applesauce&SweetPotatoes.psd

Summer prefers her applesauce mixed with plain whole milk yogurt and ground flax seeds, and the steamed sweet potato chunks make great bite-sized sides to her meals or an easy snack.

Homemade applesauce is so easy, and in my opinion the best recipe is nothing but apples, perhaps cooked with a cinnamon stick.

Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. October 21, 2011 at 11:37 am

Uncomplicated is totally my thing ;) I bought a bag of apples from trader joes that honestly arent the best so I may give my shot at homemade applesauce this weekend. Have a great Friday! :)

HEAB October 22, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Cara,
If I buy mushy apples, I always make applesauce or dried apple rings in the oven. Can’t go wrong with either! :)

Health Bee October 21, 2011 at 11:44 am

Love the healthy and delicious recipe. Nice touch with the sweet potato box background in the last photo! :-)

Meagan October 21, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I agree, homemade is best. I always make my applesauce in the crock pot :) I leave the peels on and mash with masher, but they usually cook down so much it’s not necessary. I wish I had some sweet potato on hand right now, but I have TWO butternut squashes I need to deal with ;)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate October 21, 2011 at 12:18 pm

So easy! I’ve always pictured myself making my baby’s own applesauce…perhaps because of my deep obsession with the movie Baby Boom as a child :-)

HEAB October 22, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Anna,
Yes, was totally channeling Diane Keaton when I made it. Now, if only we lived in that quaint little farmhouse in the movie. So my style! :)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) October 21, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I made a huge batch of applesauce last week and thought to myself of how I’ll probably do this when I have my own kids… 12 jars (old TJs almond butter jars) and they went right to the freezer for later use! Love how your giving Summer flaxseed and homemade food :) what a healthy baby!

HEAB October 22, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Felicia,
You are going to make the most amazing baby food someday – with your garden and all those fresh veggies? That is going to be one very happy baby! :)

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat October 21, 2011 at 2:19 pm

That sounds wonderful. I love the bite-sized sweet potatoes, Summer has good taste ;)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 21, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Heather the last post about the teething biscuits and your comment reply to me, I thought of the brand and what it was. They’re called Go Raw bars.

It’s like a super thick “fruit leather” and b/c of the flax seeds and really thick texture, even WITH teeth they are hard to chew so for a baby, these provided Skylar was tons of “gnawing” time. They used to make them in a few flavors but I think they just have banana bread and plain on their website. 2.49 each or so at WF’s. Worth it!

The fact you mentioned flax seeds and she likes them in this post….serendipity!

Your applesauce looks…perfect. Simple IS good. Same w/ those sweet taters!

HEAB October 22, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Awesome, thanks Averie. Will so be on the lookout for the Go Raw bars. I know I’ve seen them before.

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free October 21, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Funny you would post this today! I just posted a recipe with sweet potatoes and apples, too! Great combo!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 21, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I love homemade applesauce, but I never take the time to make it. I need to do that more often! Great idea reusing the steamer for more steamed goodness! I hope you have a great weekend!

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City October 21, 2011 at 4:07 pm

that would be a perfect snack right now. i used to make applesauce in the microwave, so easy and makes the kitchen smell great!

HEAB October 22, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Caitlin,
I love the smell of cooking apples. Fall smells make me happy. :)

Ameena October 21, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I’ve never thought about making applesauce before…is it really this easy? I wish I’d known when Maya was little…now she doesn’t like applesauce! Go figure.

HEAB October 22, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Ameena,
Yes! I felt kind of silly sharing such an easy recipe. I mean, it’s not even really a recipe, but if you google applesauce recipes, there are some really complicated ones out there, and I wanted everyone to know that it’s really not rocket science. Apples + water = happy kid, happy mom.

Nada (One Arab Vegan) October 21, 2011 at 6:23 pm

This sounds so good and simple! Quick question – are the sweet potatoes meant to add in sweetness or can I make the applesauce without?

HEAB October 22, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Nada,
I didn’t mix the sweet potatoes in with the applesauce. I just talked about them in this post b/c I steamed them while the apples were cooking. Easy way to knock out two dishes in one…although sweet potato applesauce would make a lovely dish. :)

Lou October 21, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Misty loves his apple sauce with flax seeds and yoghurt too. I think him + the HEABlet are a match made in heaven – maybe I should start working on our dowry offer? Is the going rate 2 or 3 donkeys these days? (case of Vegemite anyone?)

The simple things are always the best, in food and in life :)

HEAB October 22, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Lou,
CD always jokes my dowry offering to his family was the Vita-Mix. Hehe. Summer ate Misty’s fruit bars today. I royally screwed up the recipe, but in the end, it all worked out quite nicely. Will post them tomorrow or early next week. Delish!

cynthiasolc October 21, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I love this ideal! I have a 14 month old who would love the homemade apple sauce.

Funny thing is, I never buy the jars of apple sauce because they go bad so fast. It never occurred to me to make the amount I needed from scratch – duh! Can I blame it on mommy brain?

Thanks!

HEAB October 22, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Cynthia,
Yes! I’ve been playing the mommy-brain card all year and hoping to get a few more months out of it! ;)

Hannah October 22, 2011 at 2:08 am

I have this sneaking suspicion that I’m going to want to eat all of Summer’s meals.

HEAB October 22, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Hannah,
Come on over. She likes to share…meaning she throws half her food at the dogs. I’m sure Summer would toss some your way. ;)

Jen October 22, 2011 at 9:48 am

That’s an easy method for adults too :) I agree, I don’t know why I see applesauce recipes that have added sugar in them. They are sweet enough as is!