Melted Cheese For The Win

by HEAB on October 22, 2011

A couple of days ago, I made a batch of Denise’s chickpea flour pancakes with vanilla rice milk instead of water and fried them in butter.

ChickpeaPancakeIngredients.psd

ChickpeaPancakeCooking.jpg

These make wonderful pancakes for both child and parent and are easy to reheat. For Summer, I cut one up and spread it with Sunbutter.

ChickpeaPancakes.psd

She ate it alongside steamed sweet potato chunks. She then proceeded to throw most of the pancake on the floor at the dogs. Happy pups.

SumEatsChickpeaPancake.psd

So, Summer’s second pancake was topped with melted Kerrygold butter and sharp cheddar.

GrilledCheeseChickpeaPancake.psd

Pups didn’t get one bite. ;)

Heather @ Bake, Run, Live October 22, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I don’t know, Heather. It might just have been that yummy butter (she is your daughter!!!)! By the way, thank you for turning me on to Kerrygold butter. I have to go out of my way to buy it, but I have using it for a few weeks now- and love it!

HEAB October 24, 2011 at 10:10 am

Heather,
You are so welcome. Best butter ever! Really does make a huge difference in recipes…and makes toast very addictive. :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood October 22, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Those darn lucky pups ;)

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee October 22, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Mmm cheesy pancakes!! I’d never thought of that but hey, might be good!! I usually us chocolate nut butter mixed with a little milk for on top of my pancakes. :)

Krystina (Organically Me) October 22, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Butter and cheese – girl after my own heart!

Susan October 22, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I wonder how messy that high-chair got post-picture ; )

I think people are always intimidated by pancakes from scratch but the beauty of pancakes is that they reheat so well! Not nearly as well as, say, eggs…though I’ve tried.

HEAB October 24, 2011 at 10:09 am

Susan,
Messy…but the dogs are so helpful when it comes to clean up. ;)

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 22, 2011 at 2:33 pm

love a good savory pancake!! and anything fried in butter is bound to be delicious :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 22, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Lucky pups. And lucky summer.

I love the shot of her in her highchair. I think that her little hands and feet peeking out are precious :)

As is that last shot with the Kerrygold cheese melted. Just yesterday I made cookies (will blog about it sometime soon) with KG butter. Omg. The best cookie dough I have ever eaten. Their butter just was like…well…heaven in the dough. I am a believer!

HEAB October 24, 2011 at 10:09 am

Averie,
Kerrygold is by far our favorite butter – like “I want to lick the wrapper” favorite…never been that way with butter until I tried the Irish green. ;)

Denise @ Kumara Mash October 22, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Thanks so much for posting about my recipe :-) I am glad you enjoyed them, and they are a regular feature on the breakfast menu in my home. My son gets pretty excited when I cook these, and he was a little upset that I wasn’t making them this morning aas I ran out of coconut oil (I buy mine from a food co-op).

I might try using vanilla almond or soy milk next time to see what the flavour and taste is like :-)

HEAB October 24, 2011 at 10:07 am

Denise,
Thank you for reminding me of the goodness of chickpea flour pancakes! I’d never added baking soda, and it really did make them more pancake-like. So good, and the rice milk added a really nice flavor. Hope you were able to restock the coconut oil. :)

Bid October 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm

It’s the foot!!! My favorite one…

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco October 22, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Thank goodness I have something to do with that chickpea flour now! Summer is so cute.

Lou October 22, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Ha! HEABlet has the same little booster seat as Misty… how great is it!?! Misty also enjoys a chickpea flour pancake (with Vegemite and cheese melted on top, of course). These days Misty is such an eating beast, our dog only gets feed the broccoli – everything else gets gobbled up, even peas, he LOVES peas. Sweet little peas. Love those little HEABlet tootsies peeking out from under the tray, so cute :) I love eating baby food.

HEAB October 24, 2011 at 10:03 am

Lou,
LOVE that booster seat. It works great and is just so easy. Plus, much cheaper than a full highchair. We love it, and I love that we can just pull Summer up to the table right next to us. Summer went through a pea lovin’ stage and then stopped loving them. Need to try them again, perhaps with a little butter, vegemite, and cheese. :)

Jennie (the gf-gf) October 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm

So cute! Summer has good taste :-)

Alyssa October 22, 2011 at 7:37 pm

:) !!!!!!!

lindsay October 22, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Summer has the best mom ever! I hope she knows that.

HEAB October 24, 2011 at 10:02 am

Lindsay,
Aww, thank you…she makes it easy to want to be a good mama. Love that little HEABlet so much. :)

Lara October 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Lulu and Pippa would like you to make Summer some pancakes (sans the butter and cheese, hint hint) over at OUR house, please! :D

HEAB October 24, 2011 at 10:01 am

Lara,
Will do. We’ll bring the Sunbutter. :)

Health Bee October 23, 2011 at 12:23 am

The pancakes look delicious! Love the kerrygold & cheddar flavor.

Hannah October 23, 2011 at 3:50 am

Good girl, Summer. Heather, I think you should keep her. :P

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 23, 2011 at 7:51 am

Gah! Look at the rolls around Summer’s wrists…that’s my favorite baby part!! I kiss Clara’s rolls all the time!

HEAB October 24, 2011 at 9:55 am

Lindsay,
I know, I love her little feet and hands so much!

Michaela October 23, 2011 at 8:12 am

hahahaha! she has got taste, eh? just like her mom ;)

Angel7 October 23, 2011 at 11:51 am

Cheddar makes everything better :)

Juliane October 23, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Thanks for the link to the vegan pancakes. I am currently living in Paris and being vegan here so hard! But I found chickpea flour so the recipe comes very handy!

Juliane October 23, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Thanks for the link to the vegan pancakes. I am currently living in Paris and being vegan here is so hard! But I found chickpea flour so the recipe comes very handy!

HEAB October 24, 2011 at 9:54 am

Juliane,
You’re welcome, but thank Denise. She reminded me how easy it is to make chickpea pancakes, and the vanilla rice milk adds great flavor. Hope you enjoy them! :)

STUFT Mama October 23, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Lucky pups. :) Our dog always know to come in when it’s eating time. ha ha! I think he’s gaining weight.
Summer is one lucky girl too. And her high chair is pretty darn clean. I’m jealous. I better not show you any pictures of the mess we’ve got going on here. :)

HEAB October 24, 2011 at 9:53 am

STUFT,
Haha – looks can be deceiving. I’m scared to remove Summer’s booster seat from our dining room chair as I know there are permanent crustations built up underneath. The dogs simply can’t get to it all. ;)

kalli October 23, 2011 at 6:36 pm

YUM! can i have some of summer’s pancake?

HEAB October 24, 2011 at 9:51 am

Kalli,
Of course. Summer loves to share…and not just with the dogs. ;)

katie @KatieDid October 23, 2011 at 6:45 pm

summer’s little feet poking out- precious! That one would be a win for me too!

Sara October 23, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I’m sorry to be belated about it, but I needed to comment regarding your Vegemite and Marmite post (+ Marmite and avocado?? Mmmmm, so good). My niece lives overseas and talks with me by Skype. She needs regular shipments of Marmite and if I have not sent enough to keep up with her consumption, she tells me that she starts to feel her ‘kiwi-ness’ slipping away. She also had to give a talk to her entire kindy class about Marmite, because it is unheard of in certain parts of Europe and everyone that tries it, hates it!

HEAB October 24, 2011 at 9:50 am

Sara,
Losing her “kiwi-ness” – so cute, but poor thing. I understand her needs. You’re a good aunt to spread the Marmite love to Europe. :)

charlotte October 23, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Funny how quickly kids gravitate to cheese, isn’t it? My kids are the same way. They’ll eat almost anything with melted cheese on top. Good thing I love full-fat dairy again;)
PS. Love Summer’s little dino jammies!!

HEAB October 24, 2011 at 9:44 am

Charlotte,
Even better than jammies – they’re dinosaur leg warmers. Wish they made them in my size!