Bars & Balls

by HEAB on October 24, 2011

Following is the best HEABlet snack thus far…I’ve already eaten half of them. Sorry Summer!

HeabifiedNutriGrainBarsCropped.psd

Please click here for the recipe.

Over the weekend, I made some salmon ball bites – great for toddlers as well as moms and dads.

SweetSalmonBallBites2.psd

You can click here for the recipe.

Something else I did over the weekend was consolidate all my baby food recipes and quick meal/snack ideas for Summer into one post which you can access here. Hope it helps some other parents out there, and I would love to hear about your favorite baby foods so that I can add them to the post.

Happy Monday.

Anna @ On Anna's Plate October 24, 2011 at 8:22 am

Thanks for consolidating all of the recipes– I’m not due until March, but I’m already bookmarking baby food recipes!!

HEAB October 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Anna,
You’re welcome. March will be here before you know it. Hope you’re feeling well. Such an amazing time. :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free October 24, 2011 at 9:30 am

That looks amazing! And I love how they are sugar-freeeeeee :D I bet you could customize them in soooo many different flavors. Do I see an unsweetened chocolate-coconut in the near future?

HEAB October 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Alex,
Um, yes. Yes, you do…although Summer probably wouldn’t get much of that batch…’cause they’d all be in my belly.

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City October 24, 2011 at 9:54 am

nice! i’d like some salmon balls for lunch please :)

i had crab cake eggs benedicto this weekend, and the salmon might be a nice sub for the pricier crab cakes. thanks!

HEAB October 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Caitlin,
Yes! As much as I love crab, it is so pricey and usually sub salmon.

Lara October 24, 2011 at 9:58 am

I can’t wait to try the salmon/sweet potato balls! I buy that same brand of salmon from Costco :)
I thought of you recently when I poured some vegetarian chili over a baked sweet potato…it was an out-of-the-blue urge but it totally worked and was so delicious! I thought, “I think Heabie would be proud.” :)

HEAB October 25, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Lara,
Yeah, definitely sounds like my kind of meal. Love me some Jacket Potatoes, chili style. :)

kalli October 24, 2011 at 10:50 am

you are sucha great momma! summer is so lucky to have a mom who is making her good, clean food with no sugar from the beginning :)

Errign October 24, 2011 at 11:55 am

That is one healthy eating kid. :) Love how focus you are on giving Summer healthy foods :) Happy Monday!

the delicate place October 24, 2011 at 12:03 pm

toddler food or not, i want to eat those salmon balls! i’ll be making those soon for sure!

HEAB October 25, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Melissa,
I’ll trade you one batch of salmon balls for a Shepherd’s Pie, TDP style. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 24, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I need to organize my recipes again. I’m so bad about that, but I never seem to have the time for organizing anything. I get so frustrated by that.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 24, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Great looking balls there :)

And nice work on consolidating your recipes. Nothing like a “small” blog project to take up a bit of time, eh?

Timesuck indeed. But a worthy one. Not only for your readers but for you…now you can find things better when YOU need to. One year on a vacay in Aruba I spent tons of time organizing my recipes thinking it was only for my readers but in the end, I helped myself too :) Hope that’s the case for you too!

Katie October 24, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I’m SO excited for Adrienne to start solids…she’s 5 and a half months and we’re planning on doing BWL. I am ready to make food for her – thanks for the good recipes (and that page of food ideas is awesome!).

HEAB October 25, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Katie,
I cannot believe Adrienne is already 5 1/2 months. I’m sure you can’t either. We were excited to start solids too – took Summer a while to get the hang of them, but by about 8 or 9 months she was loving her “meals”. :)

katie @KatieDid October 24, 2011 at 4:17 pm

She is one lucky Heablet!!

Felicia October 24, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Such good ideas! Those bars look so good, what a lucky girl that heablet is :)

Stephanie October 24, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I love your blog! I recently came across it, and I can’t stop reading it. I eat real food every day. I have been very gassy. Are there foods that you suggest I take out of my diet? I want to get this under control.

Thanks!

HEAB October 25, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Stephanie,
Thanks so much for reading, and I’m sorry to hear about the gas issues. No fun – trust me, I’ve been there. My problem was soy, and at the time I was eating a lot of soy burgers, soy milk, etc. Turns out I’m intolerant, but the whole time I figured it was all the veggies I was eating. I would just try and be really aware of foods that trigger the gas – you could keep a food diary or try and elimination diet. Problem with elimination diets is that it can take 4 to 6 weeks to truly discover if a particular food is bothering you or not. Usual suspects are soy, dairy, & gluten. I had a friend who used to get horrible gas – turns out it was an egg allergy. Some people simply can’t handle vegetables, especially cruciferous veggies. Others can’t handle a lot of fiber and do better on more of a meat/protein based diet and white carbs (white rice, white potatoes, etc). Again, it can take a while to figure it out, but I’d rather do the investigating than live the rest of my life taking Beano before every meal. Hope this helps!

Lou October 24, 2011 at 6:15 pm

hehehe, you make me laugh! Love your variation of the bars – love it how mistakes in the kitchen usually end up being DELICIOUS mistakes. That’s my favourite part about cooking/experimenting in the kitchen (and why I’m generally so bad at following a recipe) you are constantly finding new flavour combos/methods etc, so your food is always evolving and changing. Even if I repeat a recipe, I will change it up in some way (hmmm maybe that’s my ADHD kicking in!) :)

HEAB October 25, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Lou,
Yes, a delicious mistake. Really, they are so good and do not crumble at all. We only have one left, and I keep telling myself, “must save for Summer. ” Hehe. Thanks for the inspiration…again! :)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco October 24, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Those bars would make a great school snack! Thanks! ;)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather October 24, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Mmmmm those bars look delish! I’m not due until May so baby food hasn’t been a thought yet, when it is though I’ll be stopping by here for sure!

HEAB October 25, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Heather,
Congrats – so excited for you. May will be here before we know it. Enjoy this time. After the first trimester, I loved being pregnant. Miss feeling those little kicks and hiccups in my belly.

Jen October 24, 2011 at 8:35 pm

I clicked over to the Salmon recipe and thought that you had named them “Sweet Potato Summer Balls” :)

Pure2raw twins October 25, 2011 at 6:35 am

haha been loving all your quick and easy recipe latelys, and I am with you on homemade applesauce with just apples is the way to go

and these salmon bites are calling my name, lori and i have been on a huge salmon kick lately

HEAB October 25, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Pure2Raw, you, Lori, AND Summer. That baby loves her salmon! :)

Ana October 25, 2011 at 7:12 am

The bars look so good Heather, is it weird that I want to make it for me and Matheus? I seriously liked the looks and the recipe too, and I am sure my 9 year old “baby” will love it too :-)

Ps: thought of you today. I made a nice bowl of oat bran, sprinkled with ground flax and then proceeded to the fridge to find out I am out of butter… man I was so sad, you have no idea. I think I need a “buttermyd”!! :-D

HEAB October 25, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Ana, Everyone needs a Buttermyd! ;)

And no I don’t think it’s weird you want to make those bars for you and Matheus. I’m planning on making them for a brunch I’m hosting on Sunday…for all the adults. :)

Sue October 25, 2011 at 11:30 am

Hi Heather!

This is kind of random, but I’ve been following your blog for a little over a year (love it) and I remember a while back after Summer was born, you posted a pic of her on a “platypus” that someone had given you. Now that I’m expecting my first this February, I was wondering if you had any information of where it’s from….I never forgot that image with your adorable girl sitting on top and was hoping to get a similar one to add to our nursery.

Feel free to contact me at splonowski@gmail.com

p.s. I can’t wait to start using your baby recipes next year, motherhood seems like it is treating you well and so fun!

Thanks so much!

HEAB October 25, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Hi Sue,
I emailed you, but wanted to answer you in the comments section as well. Polly the Platypus came from Sam’s Wholesale Club. Not sure if they are still selling them, but I did see oversized teddy bears just today at Costco. So cute, and Summer loves her platypus. Climbs all over that thing! :)

Emmy (Wine and Butter) October 25, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Is it wrong that I now want a baby just so I can cook cute food, and then eat most of it myself…!?

HEAB October 26, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Emmy,
Nope, not at all. :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul October 25, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Hehe…the thought of these being little baby bars is so cute! I hope I’ll still be passionate when i’m a mother someday and cook cute/healthy/delicious foods for the munchkins. :D

HEAB October 26, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Ellie, You will. Your munchkins will eat healthy cute food – no doubt about it! :)

Rebecca October 26, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Hi Heather,
I love your blog; such great recipes! I saw in your FAQ to contact you through your current post & was hoping you might provide some feedback. I recently found your kermit muffin recipe & love the incorporation of protein powder. Now that it is pumpkin season, I am looking for a gluten-free protein pumpkin muffin recipe! I have been making some protein pancakes with a mixture of rolled oats, egg whites, cottage cheese, vanilla protein powder, baking powder & stevia. Similar to your Protein Pancake recipe. I would love to adapt either recipe into muffins, I’m just not sure about the proportions. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

HEAB October 26, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Hi Rebecca,
Thanks so much for reading my blog, and as far as the muffins go, you could try these: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/almond-butter-banana-muffins/, and sub protein powder for 1/2 cup of the oat flour and use pumpkin instead of bananas. Also, I would cut down on the amount of sugar or stevia if the protein powder you’re using is sweetened. Or how about Deb’s protein fudge muffin: http://smoothiegirleatstoo.blogspot.com/2010/11/moist-low-calorie-microwave-protein.html. So quick and easy. Love that recipe! Hope these helps. Enjoy your muffins! :)