Don’t Throw Out The Seeds

by HEAB on October 26, 2011

Roast them!

This past weekend, we visited a local pumpkin patch and came home with two big pumpkins and five wee ones. Summer and I spent today carving and painting. After cleaning out the pumpkin, we rinsed, drained, and dried the seeds. To speed up the drying process, I spread the seeds in a single layer on a silpat lined baking sheet and put them in a 200℉ oven while we ate lunch. After lunch, they were dry and ready to be spiced.

RoastingPumpkinSeeds.psd

After transferring the seeds to a foil lined baking sheet, I added a few dollops of coconut oil, 1/2 packet of stevia, lots of cinnamon, and a pinch of sea salt. Into a 325℉ oven they went.  After 10 minutes, I checked on the seeds, gave them a good stir, and then roasted them for another 10 minutes or so. I just kept them in until I heard a few pop. The kitchen smelled so good!

After an afternoon walk, I enjoyed some of my cinnamon sweetened seeds atop a bowl of pumpkin and Love Grown Foods Cocoa Goodness (best granola ever!). The seed + chocolate granola combo was perfect. Salty + sweet + crunchy + chocolate. Doesn’t get much better than that.

PumpkinSeedGranola2.psd
PumpkinSeedGranola.psd

We still have another pumpkin to carve, and I can’t wait to make a batch of savory seeds. What do you do with your pumpkin seeds?

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 26, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I roast them, but I roast so much pumpkin that I only roast from the first couple of pumpkins. I love them salty! Sounds like a great time this weekend. We did that too and really, it’s something I look forward to all year!

Samantha October 26, 2011 at 8:31 pm

The mini painted pumpkins are adorable! I love pumpkin seeds with cayenne pepper! We had a scouting camporee last weekend and it occurred to me, much too late in the day, while gutting a scouts pumpkin, just how awesome it would’ve been to collect the seeds from the 200+ pumpkins that were carved that day and make months worth of snacks!

HEAB October 27, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Thanks Sam, and wow, I would have been in seed heaven. Hopefully you can save some of them next year!

Liz @ iheartvegetables October 26, 2011 at 8:35 pm

My friends and I literally just did this tonight!!! The seeds are so good!

Jennie (the gf-gf) October 26, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I like to roast the seeds with TONS of garlic. Yum!

Shelby October 26, 2011 at 9:18 pm

My mom salted the CRAP outta the seeds this year so I can’t even eat them (which I’m pretty sure is why she did it…) but I still haven’t carved my pumpkin so when I do, I’m making your sweet version! I’ve never had sweet pumpkin seeds before!

HEAB October 27, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Shelby,
I have a feeling you’ll love them. :)

Andrea@WellnessNotes October 26, 2011 at 9:24 pm

We’ll definitely roast them! Hubby has been talking about roasted pumpkin seeds for weeks now… I roasted curried delicata squash seeds yesterday, and they were delicious.

HEAB October 27, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Andrea,
I’ve thrown out way too many squash seeds in my past. Never letting that happen again!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 26, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Your seeds turned out wonderfully. A couple years ago I tried to roast the pumpkin seeds, well, dehydrate them. They took…forever. I finally scrapped that idea and popped them in the oven :)

Your coconut, cinnamon, stevia blend = what I put on popcorn every night :)

HEAB October 27, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Yes, Averie’s popcorn – you know I love it! I think the pumpkin seeds would go great with a batch of chocolate protein powder popcorn! :)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco October 26, 2011 at 11:54 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever roasted pumpkin seeds! I really should! I wonder if this would work with butternut squash seeds? Thanks!

HEAB October 27, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Kelly,
Yep. It would. :)

Hannah October 27, 2011 at 12:18 am

Even though it’s been eighteen years, cutting into pumpkin and smelling the fresh aroma still takes me back to being in America and carving jack o lanterns :)

STUFT Mama October 27, 2011 at 1:05 am

I’ve never done anything with the seeds. You’re inspiring me. I would totally do this sweet/salty combination. Maybe this year will be a first……. :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 27, 2011 at 1:46 am

Oh that last photo is GORGEOUS!!

I have never thrown away a squash seed ever! Too cheap! haha. No, the truth is that they remind me of my childhood because that’s what my mom used to do every halloween- roasted the seeds- and they were sooooo soooo good. Love the idea of the cinnamon & stevia … haven’t done that one yet.

Miss you heabie- hope you’re well <3

HEAB October 27, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Thanks Deb! P.S. You look amazing in your push-up video. AMAZING.

Emmy (Wine and Butter) October 27, 2011 at 3:02 am

I put tamari and curry powder on them – totally overload the seeds so the tamari forms this kind of crisp around them … which is totally delish and strangely reminiscent of marmite (!!!!!!).
I guess its not an option for people concerned about salt intake, but totally amazing for me!!
Also for a moment I thought that was a salad bowl you had topped with chocolate and sweet pumpkin seeds – and I thought ‘wow- shes really pushed the boat flavour-wise this time….’

HEAB October 27, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Emmy,
Yes, Marmite reminds me of tamari…wonder what Marmite roasted pumpkin seeds would taste like…Marmite peanut butter roasted pumpkin seeds to be exact. ;)
P.S. Never thought to top a salad with chocolate granola and pumpkin seeds. Yeah, don’t think I’ll be pushing that boat anytime soon. ;)

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness October 27, 2011 at 5:45 am

The best part of carving pumpkins is saving the seeds for roasting :) I have 3 kids with giant pumpkins, so i’m going to do 3 different sets of seeds (sweet, savory, spicy) and I can’t wait!

HEAB October 27, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Jen,
I like it. We still haven’t carved Summer’s pumpkin yet, and it’s a big one. Looking forward to some savory seeds for sure!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count October 27, 2011 at 6:58 am

Great idea. I bought some pumpkin seeds recently not realizing that they were raw. They taste ok, but this would taste better! Thanks for the suggestion!!

HEAB October 27, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Fran, oh yes, roasted seeds are much betta. Enjoy! :)

Heather October 27, 2011 at 9:25 am

We roasted them with red pepper flakes, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Spicy and delicious!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 27, 2011 at 9:31 am

LOVE the last pic!! Summer is a pretty decent painter!!

HEAB October 27, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Thanks Linsday – yes, Summer is super talented. You should see what she can do with the glue gun. ;)

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City October 27, 2011 at 10:32 am

Gosh I love pumpkin seeds! last week i roasted the seeds from a carnival squash – pretty good :)

I also love that last picture, its beautiful.

HEAB October 27, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Thanks Caitlin, I do too. You know, I have thrown out way too many squash seeds in my past. Kind of sad about that, but I promise never to let it happen again!

Christin@purplebirdblog October 27, 2011 at 11:13 am

Pumpkin seeds rule, and your spice combo sounds perfect. That last photo in this post is totally frame-worthy… absolutely gorgeous!

HEAB October 27, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Christin,
Hi! Missed you, but I know you’ve been super busy. Gosh, I’m so behind on your life – how did your exam go?!? Thanks for the compliment – I’m diggin’ that photo as well.

Cat @ Breakfast to B October 27, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I glitter polka dotted some of my pumpkins but I am STEALING THIS IDEA! You’ve been warned. I am IN LOVE. IN LOVE WITH THOSE TEENY PUMPKINS!!

HEAB October 27, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Cat,
I know – they’re so cute, but I might have to steal your glitter idea for next year. That sounds so fun – whimsical little pumpkins. :)

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine October 27, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Pumpkin seeds are one of my all-time favorite snacks! Here’s what I do, and it produces the most flavorful, yummy seeds:

Don’t wash or rinse them at all–washes away some of the flavor. Instead, I just separate them from the pumpkin fiber and goo, then coat them in melted butter and salt. Then I bake them till toasty, stirring every 15 minutes. So yummy!

HEAB October 27, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Casey,
Really? So good to know! Will use your method next time.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 27, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Mike and I carved a pumpkin and through all the guts onto the cookie sheet to roast! His favorite part were the seeds and mine was the squash itself. Granted, it was all gone within 10 minutes.

HEAB October 27, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Mary, I like the way you and Mike think. I must try roasting the guts – I think it would be my favorite part as well.

Janknitz October 27, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I LOVE pumpkin and squash seeds (usually just with salt or garlic salt) but I crack them and eat only the seeds inside–do other people eat the shell as well?? Seems like that would be very hard on your stomach!

Sometimes I end up eating a few in their shells, but I prefer just the seed inside, so I can’t see sprinkling roasted seeds in the shell on other foods.

Cracking them and eating the seed inside does work for portion control–it’s slow work! I love pumpkin seeds when everyone else is eating popcorn at the movies and carry my own in.

HEAB October 27, 2011 at 7:41 pm

JanKnitz,
I’m lazy and just eat the shell. Works for me, and I love the “chew” factor.

Ashley October 27, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Hey Heather,
I’m totally inspired by your way of life. I have been doing yoga at home three times a week. I’m still running occasionally, even though my body is telling me no. I’m still convincing myself that walking is GOOD! I’m taking a harm-reduction standpoint to reduce my sugar intake. It’s a drastic decrease, but it still sneaks in. Anyways, I think my genes are my biggest obstacle to being the weight which I think would be best for my joints/moods/heart ect. I am wondering if you had to overcome genes or if your family is naturally thin.
Thanks for your faithful posting!

HEAB October 27, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Ashley,
Oh wow – you sound like you are on the right path and doing all good things. I know it’s hard at times, but keep it up – you can totally do this! I have overweight relatives on both sides of the family, and my older brother and I have both struggled with our weight. He recently lost 40 pounds – so proud of him! He gave up the sweet stuff and is going amazing. Honestly, I think anyone can lose weight – some of us just have to work a little harder at it. My body does not handle certain foods very well, and I was definitely never the girl who could eat whatever she wanted. Trust me, I get it, and again, keep listening to your body. Walking is so very good! P.S. Thanks for your faithful reading. :)