Munchie Madness

by HEAB on October 27, 2011

Nashville’s fall is amazing…

HappyFall1.psd

You know what else is amazing?

MilletBalls2.psd

Lou’s Millet Munchies.

I whipped up a batch for Summer today and rolled half in Foods Alive black sesame seeds and the other half in unsweetened shredded coconut.

MilletBalls.psd

While carrying both Summer and the bowl of Munchies, her little hand kept grabbing ball after ball and shoving them in her mouth. Ever seen a baby’s face covered in black sesame seeds? Pretty darn humorous. Personally, I loved the coconut covered ones. Seriously Lou, you are becoming my go-to blog for baby recipes – she also has amazing recipes for the parents. In fact, I’m dying to try her sweet potato mayo, and the Millet Munchies are definitely going on my list of favorite HEABlet foods!

HappyFall3.psd

Happy fall…or spring to all my Vegemite/Marmite lovin’ readers.

Ty October 27, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Yay fall!

I always swore to myself if I had kids I would make all the foods they eat myself. Love that you do this for your baby. Such a good mama!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 27, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I just tried millet for the first time a few weeks ago and fell in love. I’m definitely making these! They remind me of the pumpkin corn cakes you made (that I then made). Those were so good. I know the boys would like these. They are going on my family finger food night’s menu. I can’t wait to try it!

HEAB October 28, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Sarena,
Just so you know, CD preferred your nutmeg muffins to tonight’s cupcakes. Love that you do a family finger food night. That is great!

Emilia @ Namaste Gurl October 27, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Happy, happy fall sweet HEAB! Hope your well dear friend :)
I can only imagine how beautiful it is down in near your way…. we don’t really get a fall here, but I won’t entirely complain :) Say hi to Summer for me!

HEAB October 28, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Emilia,
Yeah, we’ve had a beautiful October, but I’d take your entire winter any day over Nashville’s…your summer too!
P.S. My Summer says “hi”.

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco October 27, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Your pictures here are gorgeous! Happy fall! (Although being in LA I don’t really get it.)

HEAB October 28, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Thanks Kelly, and LA is beautiful all year round from what I hear. Enjoy it…trust me, I won’t be posting pics of Nashville scenery come January.

Lou October 27, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Yay, I’m so glad Summer like them…. hehe I am cracking up imagining black sesame coated HEABlet :) Thanks for the shout out (Go team Vegemite)

Alyssa October 27, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Cute! So great that Summer loves good food:).
Enjoy the Autumn!

Christin@purplebirdblog October 27, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I will continue our conversation here since the comments are closed on the previous post… I passed my state exam!!! I have internship appointments Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday, and then I’m officially done with school and can send in to the state for my actual license (that lovely 4-6 weeks of waiting, woohoo). We have a graduation ceremony on 11/19. I am loving life super big time right now. :) I’m also trying to blog more often again… I’ve missed this community so very much! <3

HEAB October 28, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Christin,
Fantastic news – could not be more happy for you. We’ve missed you too – good to have you back! :)

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count October 28, 2011 at 5:11 am

Your photos are beautiful, Heather! I have a question for you. I tried almond butter for the first time today. I got the Naturally More brand. Do you have a favorite that you recommend? Thanks!

HEAB October 28, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Thanks Fran, and as far as the almond butter goes, I rarely meet one I don’t like. I’ve never tried Naturally More almond butter, but I have had their peanut butter. I prefer a jar of nothing but peanuts and crunchy. So, Naturally More isn’t a brand I normally buy. For almond butter, my favorite is Trader Joe’s unsalted roasted crunchy. Whole Foods 365 brand is good too (they’re probably made by the same company and just sold under the different store’s generic labels). It’s $4.99 a jar at TJ’s which is hard to beat. Our Costco sells the Maranatha brand at a great price as well. However, I’m a crunchy girl, and Costco only sells creamy Maranatha. If you’re a fan of flavored/sweetened nut butters, I love Justin’s chocolate almond butter. Delicious as is Naturally Nutty’s vanilla almond butter. Addictive stuff! I wrote a post about my favorite nut butters here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2011/07/14/my-favorite-nut-butters/

MizFit October 28, 2011 at 5:16 am

It FINALLY feels like fall here too.

Have a great weekend.

xo

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 28, 2011 at 5:21 am

Sweet potato mayo? Just checked. She calls it custard. And omg it sounds heavenly!

Glad that you’re rockin’ the camera and your pics are becoming more and more beautiful with every post :)

HEAB October 28, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Averie,
Yes, Lou’s sweet potato custard sounds amazing, but if you scroll down, you’ll see the sweet potato mayo recipe at the end of that post. Must make and soon! Thanks for your compliments on my photos – means a lot coming from you! :)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 28, 2011 at 5:42 am

Oh my goodness, Heather, that first picture is amazing! I’ve been out a couple of times in the last month to get some pictures of the fall leaves, but have been a little disappointed in the variety of colors…there was still too many green leaves out there too. That is until yesterday (funny how stuff like that seems to change overnight). Now all the trees are the most beautiful shades of yellow, orange, and red. I’m hoping we have some sunshine this weekend so I can go for a walk in the park and play with my camera. Oh, that reminds me, what was the name of that book on DSLR’s? I was hoping to find it on Amazon because this girl needs some pointers…you’re developing quite the knack for photography and I don’t want to be left in the dust! ;)

And I just read your last post about the pumpkin seeds. I’m horrible about roasting the seeds because I had washing them and then waiting FOREVER for them to dry…putting them in the oven to speed up the process is GENIUS! Definitely going to remember that!

Happy Friday love! I hope you have a great weekend!

HEAB October 28, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Hi Heather,
We need to catch up soon. I miss you! The book I read was Understanding Exposure (http://astore.amazon.com/heaeatalmbut-20/detail/0817463003), and it taught me so much. Still a lot to learn, but that book really helped. Hope you have a great weekend as well. Call or text me if you come to Nashville anytime soon!

Casey Lorraine October 28, 2011 at 8:05 am

I can’t wait to see fall in the US or Canada one day. Looks stunning! Welcome back lovely xo

Pure2raw twins October 28, 2011 at 8:49 am

love millet!!! it has been awhile since we have enjoyed it though.
I would love the ones covered in coconut!!! YUM

NC has a pretty good fall as well :) this is when I wanted to get married, but did not really work out in the schedule — haha oh well, it is still Gary and I’s favorite season! HUGS
~Lori

HEAB October 28, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Pure2Raw, I love fall weddings too, but anytime of the year is a good time to get married if you ask me. :)

Emmy (Wine and Butter) October 28, 2011 at 10:28 am

I think I want to move to Nashville!!
SO beautiful… and Im also so down with country music, cute accents… not to mention the jack daniels. Whats the job market like there at the moment!? Louis always telling me he is up for a change!! xox ps – still not sure about millet. I think I need to give the cooking it in coconut milk thing a go. Or covering it in Feta Cheese!!!

HEAB October 28, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Emmy,
Yes, move here!!! It really is a great city. Summers are hot, and winters are kind of gloomy, but fall and spring totally make up for it. Job market is okay – not the greatest at the moment but better than other cities. I definitely think you and Louis would like it here, and the accent is so easy to pick up. :)

Millet is delicious, but coconut milk or feta makes everything better.

kalli October 28, 2011 at 10:43 am

yum those munchies look so good! lucky summer…..enjoy your weekend heather :) and the beuatiful fall weather.

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City October 28, 2011 at 11:26 am

I can’t believe fall is almost over! It is definitely my favorite season.

We are supposed to get snow in New York tomorrow, it makes me want to cry!

HEAB October 28, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Caitlin,
Snow already?!? Yeah, that’s kind of wrong. :(

Ellie@fitforthesoul October 28, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Hehe~babies covered in any kind of food are sooo darn adorable!!!! Even though it was drama with my nephew, he looked so cute with carrot puree all over his eyelid and [barely there] hair. :P And Nashville’s fall does sound amazing! I wish we had that here in socal, hehe.

HEAB October 28, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Ellie,
Nashville is perfect and amazing for about a month every fall and spring. The rest of the year? Not so much. Wish I could have So Cali’s November – August, and Nashville’s September & October. My perfect climate!

Ana October 28, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I love all your ideas Heather, these munchies sound delicious! Sweet potatoes are just too good.
I am not excited about fall though, I like summer time, hot weather, I hate the cold and get a bit down during fall/winter. On the other hand I love pumpkin and butternut (winter) squash so I am always in for a big treat during fall season. And believe me when I say that this season barely started and I am already turning myself a good shade of orange :-)

HEAB October 28, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Ana,
I crave warm sunshine too – love being able to walk outside in a skirt and short sleeves and be comfortable. I get it…love that orange glow as well.

the delicate place October 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm

the leaves haven’t really turned yet up here! i love fall it’s my fave season and i’m nearly 29 eeps only a few more days! haha i bet those little seeds looked like ants! i’m so happy summer has brought you so much joy! x

HEAB October 28, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Thanks Melissa, me too. :)