Birthday Cupcakes Take 2

by HEAB on October 31, 2011

On Friday night, we had our friends Mark and Erin over for our favorite dinner party meal as of late…

MillerDinner.psd

This salad with goat cheese, candied walnuts, and apples, Butterfied Burgers, and goat cheese potato salad with fresh chives. Dessert was the Ultimate Vanilla Cupcake

VeryVanillaCupcakes.psd

We’re holding off on giving Summer whole eggs and wheat, and so taking Sarena’s advice, I subbed 1/2 all purpose gluten free baking flour and 1/2 brown rice flour + 1/2 tsp xanthan gum for the cake flour, and for the eggs, I used 2 TBSP flax seed gelled in 6 TBSP warm water.

The frosting was vanilla bean buttercream, and I loved how you could see the vanilla bean specks…

VeryVanillaCupcakes2.psd

The verdict from our cupcake taste testers?

MillersTryCupcakes.psd

Really good but a little floury tastying. CD and I liked them, but thought they were too sweet, especially the frosting.

Stay tuned for Round 3…we have a winner!

Jennie (the gf-gf) October 31, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I can’t wait! I’ve had exactly one cupcake since I went gluten-free two years ago, and it was just okay … I’m looking forward to the HEAB approved cupcakes!

HEAB November 1, 2011 at 9:44 am

Coming soon Jennie. It’s one of Sarena’s (The Non Dairy Queen). Do you read her blog? She’s not gluten free but her husband is. So she has tons of great gluten free recipes.

katie @KatieDid October 31, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I tend to think baked goods are too sweet usually too. Some people don’t understand. But when people say things are too salty… that’s what I don’t understand ;)

HEAB November 1, 2011 at 9:42 am

Katie,
You are a girl after my own heart. Bring on the salt!

Lou October 31, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I think I must have similar tastes to Katie! Can always add salt to things, but generally I find baked goods ridiculously sweet. I’m trying to work out what to make for Misty’s first birthday party (how quick has the first year gone!?!) Cake? Cupcakes? Cookies? Think I’ve got some experimenting to do too. mmmm goats cheese salad, yummo. Anything topped with creamy salty goodness is a winner in my book :) Hope you guys had a fun Halloween!

HEAB November 1, 2011 at 9:42 am

Lou,
I’ve been having so much fun party planning, and I know you will come up with some amazing treats for Misty’s birthday. Can’t wait to read about them. Make sure there is something salty on the menu for mama! ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 31, 2011 at 3:37 pm

You guys crack me up with the cupcake testing! I want to come be a tester! The vanilla specks always make things seem more fancy and I think the fact that you can smell the vanilla makes the flavor really shine. Sounds like a delicious evening!

Health Bee October 31, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Love the salad recipe! Can’t wait to try out the butterfied burgers. :-)

Happy Halloween. What’s Summer going to be dressed as?

HEAB November 1, 2011 at 9:41 am

Health Bee,
A Jack-O-Lantern! :)

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City October 31, 2011 at 4:57 pm

That salad sound like it is right up my ally! What kind of dressing did it have (if any?)

HEAB November 1, 2011 at 9:40 am

Caitlin,
Oh my gosh, I am in love with the dressing I made and have been pouring what was left all over everything. I used the following recipe but subbed maple syrup for the honey and used regular balsamic vinegar. So good!

Eleanor@eatinglikeahorse October 31, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Those cupcakes look like winners to me, and I reckon I could handle the buttercream :-)
I wanted to say, on your last post, I can’t believe how big Summer is – and how gorgeous! She looks just like you :-)

HEAB November 1, 2011 at 9:38 am

Eleanor,
I know – she’s growing up so fast. Thank you! :)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather October 31, 2011 at 5:48 pm

What a great dinner party! Can’t wait for round 3 :)

Hannah October 31, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Too sweet and a bit floury? I think that’s when you need to cut them in half and sandwich them back together with tahini ;)

HEAB November 1, 2011 at 9:38 am

Hannah,
Wow, I love you. That is all.

joelle (on a pink typewriter) October 31, 2011 at 6:45 pm

These cupcakes look marvelous, as does the rest of your meal! What did you dress Summer up as today?? Happy Halloween, Heather! :)

HEAB November 1, 2011 at 9:38 am

Joelle,
We dressed Summer up as a Jack-O-Lantern, and I posted a pic of her today. So cute! :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free October 31, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Love Love Love using vanilla bean!!! Gives it so much more flavor and I love the specks, too!!!

Happy Halloweeeeen!

HEAB November 1, 2011 at 9:36 am

Alex, I agree. So much more flavor than vanilla extract!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List October 31, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Ok…how long do I have to wait around for round 3?! Want it now! ;)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 31, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Nothing is too sweet! You’re one of those people who I don’t understand. Kidding :) I know you don’t like your desserts super sweet. But I do and I loveeee buttercream frosting!

And many times with GF baking…things can get that floury taste in a hurry. I’m excited for the Round 3 verdict and recipe!

HEAB November 1, 2011 at 9:36 am

Averie,
If we ever meet up, I think we should go Mexican. I’ll eat the chips, and you can have the fried ice-cream. ;)

lindsay October 31, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Sometimes GF flour is too sweet for me too. I usually have to add garbanzo or coconut flour. They look good to me though!

Jen October 31, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Why are you avoiding the whole eggs? And do you still allow her egg whites…er, part of the eggs? ;) You eat whole eggs correct?

HEAB November 1, 2011 at 9:35 am

Jen,
It is advised to hold off on egg whites and wheat for the first year as babies often have a hard time digesting the proteins contained in both, and yes, I eat the whole egg. The yolks are the best part!

Ashley October 31, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Hey Heather,
This really isn’t directly related to cupcakes, but I really wanted to share it with you. This is an article from the local paper. I thought the study at Berkeley was particularly interesting…

Btw, your cupcakes look delicious and the buttercream… YUM!

HEAB November 1, 2011 at 9:47 am

Hi Ashley,
Thanks for sharing the article – that woman is doing cool work, and I totally agree that there is such a mind-body connection when it comes to yoga. Loved that her students rest in Savasana between each pose, and reading that really made me miss my practice – it’s a challenge for me to get to the studio these days, and I haven’t been doing much at home. Thanks again for thinking of me, and yeah, you really can’t go wrong with buttercream. ;)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiascof October 31, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Can’t wait to see the winner! So excited! ;)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli November 1, 2011 at 8:15 am

I LOVE that vanilla bean paste. I found a jar at TJ Maxx and have been adding it to everything. So much better (I totally just typed butter! Haha!) than liquid vanilla extract! That’s quite the spread there girl! I really need to try that goat cheese potato salad…you must be a fan with as many times as I’ve seen it pop up here lately! ;)

I’m loving this cupcake recipe testing…can’t wait to see round 3!

HEAB November 1, 2011 at 9:32 am

Heather,
Well, I bet you paid a lot less than I did at Williams-Sonoma! I really need to start going to TJ Maxx, and yes, you must try the goat cheese dressing – I add it to chickpeas, chicken, salmon – anywhere where you use mayo. It’s so yummy!

Marie-Sophie November 1, 2011 at 8:46 am

Wow, Summer looks so grown-up in your last post, Heather!! :-) Amazing, how fast time goes by! Hope you’re having a great fall over there! A chocolaty hello from Germany!!

HEAB November 1, 2011 at 9:29 am

Hi Marie-Sophie. Just ate some chocolate in your honor. :)