The Winning Cupcakes

by HEAB on November 3, 2011

This past Sunday, I had some girlfriends over for a granola party. There was a lot of Love happening…

GranolaWigParty6.psd

GranolaWigParty4.psd

There were also bananas, candied walnuts, and roasted cinnamon pumpkin seeds for toppings…

GranolaWigParty5.psd

HEABified Nutri-Grain Bars

HEABifiedNutrigrainBarsForParty.psd

and for Birthday Cupcake Taste Test Round 3, I made Sarena’s Lemon Pound Cake Muffins with Kerrygold butter and subbed flax seed meal for the eggs. They were loved by all will be served at Summer’s birthday party with cream cheese frosting. ¬†Thanks Sarena!

CupcakeTasteTestRound3.psd

Last but not least, there were wigs and PJ’s as both were required if you wanted any granola. :)

GranolaWigParty.psd

Jennie (the gf-gf) November 3, 2011 at 10:06 am

What a great idea for a party! Love the picture of Summer grabbing at the blue wig :-)

And thanks for passing on the link to Sarena’s blog, too!

HEAB November 4, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Jennie,
You’re welcome. Hope you try the cupcakes soon as they are so good! Love Sarena’s recipes.

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness November 3, 2011 at 10:28 am

Cupcakes for birthday parties are the best ideas!!! I think I’m going to start doing that instead of giant cakes from now on, it just makes everything from start to clean up so much easier.

HEAB November 4, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Jen,
I agree. Cupcakes just so fun and EASY, and you can make mini ones in mini muffin pans for little kiddos.

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City November 3, 2011 at 10:36 am

summer is getting so big!!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 3, 2011 at 10:40 am

Not that sounds like a fun and delicious get together! I’m so glad you found the winning cupcakes! These sound perfect!

HEAB November 4, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Sarena,
Thanks again for all your help!

nicole November 3, 2011 at 10:46 am

granola party!! with wigs? and pjs??? so wish i lived near you! xoxo

HEAB November 4, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Nicole,
Me too! :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free November 3, 2011 at 10:55 am

What an adorable idea for a party! Love it! And relatively simple…….and yummmy, of course!

Health Bee November 3, 2011 at 11:09 am

That looks so fun! Love the idea of the granola party.

Kristie November 3, 2011 at 11:28 am

Granola party?! I’d be SO down. The wigs add a nice touch ;)

lindsay November 3, 2011 at 11:43 am

Thats my kind of party. Should we have a marmite party next and invite Lou?

HEAB November 4, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Lindsay,
Um, yes!

LG November 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Hey Heather,

My husband and I just finished a road trip from New Orleans to Chicago (we’re from Alberta, Canada so flew to Louisiana and rented a car). We missed staying in Nashville but we did make a special stop on our way at the Loveless Cafe per recommendations in your blog. Thank you SO much!!! The wait wasn’t too long and yes, the biscuits were A-Mazing. Geesh, people are so friendly in the States, too. Great customer service compared to here. Anyway, thanks for posting about it because it was YUMMY! :0)

HEAB November 4, 2011 at 8:42 pm

LG,
No way – that makes me so happy you stopped at Loveless! Oh my gosh, they’re biscuits are the best, and I don’t think you could have gotten a better taste of a true southern breakfast anywhere else. Happy to hear you enjoyed it and that you were treated well along your journey. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Kelly November 3, 2011 at 12:38 pm

My 20 month-old daughter has loved, loved, LOVED the “nutri grain bars”….thank you so much for the recipe!!!

HEAB November 4, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Kelly,
Oh, I’m so happy to hear it. Love that recipe myself – more so than Summer. Please don’t tell her I keep eating them all. ;)

katie @KatieDid November 3, 2011 at 12:50 pm

mmm kerrygold :) You sure know how to throw a party. Where’s summer’s wig?! ;)

Ana November 3, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Ho fun!! I would love to sport a wig to try some granola, I love granola!!
And how exciting that Summer is turning one! I also did all the decorations and all the goodies for my son’s 1st birthday, I had the best time planning and preparing everything, and from the cupcake testings I see you seem to be having a blast with the party prep too. You are an awesome Mama Heather!

Ana November 3, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I meant to say “How fun”!! (oops!)

HEAB November 4, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Thanks Ana as are you. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 3, 2011 at 1:03 pm

What a great idea! Sounds like a fun party. :) Love the wigs, too!

Pure2raw twins November 3, 2011 at 2:24 pm

too cute, love that idea for a get together with friends!! and so glad that you found the winning cupcake!!

Christin@purplebirdblog November 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Love the wigs!!!!! And those cupcakes sound absolutely divine! :D

Kath (My Funny Little Life) November 3, 2011 at 2:38 pm

What a lovely idea! I now want a food party ASAP! :D

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 3, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Oh it all looks awesome! Love the pics of everyone with their colored wigs and love those Fiestaware bowls. Makes me want to have a fiesta :)

With the cupcake/muffins of Sarena’s…did you make them GF? I am wanting to dabble more with GF flours and blends but in the past never had good luck finding a GF flour that I truly loved and wasn’t gritty. I need to try her recipe and give it a shot…you made them look sooo droolworthy! :)

HEAB November 4, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Averie,
I followed Sarena’s exact recipe (except real butter instead of Earth Balance and flax instead of eggs), and used Bob’s Red Mill AP gluten free flour and his brown rice flour as well. I’ve tried making my own brown rice flour, but it turned out funky. I’ve also made Sarena’s nutmeg muffins, which is basically this recipe plus xanthan gum, and I liked the lemon pound cake version better with no gums. They were so moist (eww, I know), and the ones with the xg were heavier. Good but more dense. Serena told me she prefers a mix of the AP gluten free flour and brown rice instead of just all AP flour b/c you can usually taste the chickpea flour in baked goods. Also, she usually adds more baking powder to her gluten free baking.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm

funny, I require wigs and pajamas for every meal. Doesn’t everyone?

HEAB November 4, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Cat,
If not, they should! :)

Lou November 3, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Oh man, I am so jealous of the Granola party…. looks like a blast (particularly the wigs… looking HOT ladies!) Cupcakes look great – man this Kerrygold butter must be great stuff, all the US bloggers seems to rave about it. NZ butter is where it’s at for me, considering the amount of cows over in New Zealand, you’d have to hope they make some decent butter!

HEAB November 4, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Lou,
Kerrygold is amazing, but if you’re eating butter straight from the pastured cow, I have a feeling all is right in the world of NZ butter. :)

Samantha November 3, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Just more proof that I don’t belong in this world. I’d much rather be at your ‘top it yourself and grab a wig’ laid back get together than have to put on heels and make sure my hair and makeup are ‘just so’ and try to ‘fit in.’

Your pick for the cupcakes sounds fabulous, pound cake is the best! We’ll have to try that recipe for the black friday bake sale. Yum!

HEAB November 4, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Samantha,
You belong – just sounds like you’re partying with the wrong crowd. Come hang out with me. We’ll go to Target, do yoga, eat granola, and Chucks always win out over heels!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List November 3, 2011 at 8:25 pm

oh man! I want to come to a wig party!! I have one that’s made of like hot green streamers – wore it for quite a few Halloween’s as a “punk rocker”.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli November 3, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Aww, this looks like it was so much fun! Love the wigs…and I especially love the look on Summer’s face as she grabs for the blue one! Haha!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco November 3, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Granola party? GENIUS!!! ;)

Hannah November 3, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I KNEW Johnny Depp would be a fan of cupcakes!

HEAB November 4, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Hannah, did you know he also likes Vegemite? ;)

Desi@ThePalatePeacemaker November 4, 2011 at 8:24 am

THIS IS MY IDEAL PARTY. Really. I want to go… :)

Felicia November 4, 2011 at 8:51 am

I spy anthro bowls :) I just treated myself to some white + brown ones, and maybe a few plates…. and mugs. Hehe.

HEAB November 4, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Felicia,
LOVE my Anthro bowls. They have the best bowls as well as mugs and they’re not too expensive either. I’m always shocked to see an $8 bowl next to a $300 pillow.

Rebecca @ All-American Vegetarian November 4, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I love this idea for a get-together! Once a month I meet with a few childless moms (our kids are all in school now!) breakfast and coffee…and to chat uninterrupted. This will definitely be the theme for the next month I host! TY!

P.S. Your HEABified Nutri-Grain Bars are on my To-Bake List!

HEAB November 4, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Rebecca, You’re welcome. Hope you enjoy your get-together next month. You really can’t go wrong with granola and wigs. Also hope you enjoy the Nutri-Grain bars. Kind of obsessed with them myself. :)