Donuts With A Savory Twist

by HEAB on November 10, 2011

One of my good friends included a donut pan in Summer’s birthday gift so that she and I could play around with donut recipes together. Thanks Jessica – such a thoughtful gift (I mentioned wanting a donut pan in a post a few months ago). We’ve been playing catch up all week, but I decided today would be donut experimentation morning. So, after playing stack the rings and knock them down and chasing Summer around the nursery for an hour with her stuffed dog (her favorite game), we needed a change of scenery. Donut time!

I didn’t have anything prepared for Summer’s lunch today, and I’ve had Sarena’s Cheesy Filled Muffins on my mind ever since she posted them. Hmm, savory donuts…why not?

SavoryDonuts.psd

For lunch, I planned on serving the donuts with hummus and goat cheese, but both Summer and I enjoyed them plain. We each took a few bites as soon as we got home from our morning walk, and before I knew it, 4 donuts were gone (thanks mostly to me). So good, and I can’t wait to experiment with various ingredients. I’m thinking fresh basil & sun dried tomatoes…Mmm, Italian donuts dipped in pizza sauce! Yep, I see lots of savory donuts in our future. Sarena, thanks for the inspiration, and Jessica, thanks for the donut pan.  We love it!

steph November 10, 2011 at 2:21 pm

those sound very yummy!
…i’m guessing Summer can walk now? sry I dont know much about babies so im a little ignorant haha

HEAB November 10, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Hi Steph,
Nope, Summer isn’t walking yet. Some babies are at 12 months, but she’s still crawling everywhere, although she will stand up on her own but never for long. :)

Jennie (the gf-gf) November 10, 2011 at 2:22 pm

A savory doughnut sounds delish. I have a little wedge of sundried tomato & basil goat cheese in the fridge, and I was thinking as I was reading this how good that would be. So a sundried tomato & basil doughnut with plain goat cheese – same idea, sounds equally awesome!

HEAB November 10, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Jennie,
Yes, it does – all my favorite ingredients! :)

Marian November 10, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Heather what a great recipe! I’ve honestly had no desire for a doughnut pan up until now:) looks like I’ll be putting that on the list for this weekend. Have a blessed day heather!

HEAB November 10, 2011 at 7:53 pm

You too Marian, and I hope you enjoy your weekend donuts! :)

tracey November 10, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Thanks for the sweet thoughts on my about page! I just bought a donut pan on Friday (date night and I buy a donut pan) and have been itching to use it. Even better that this is not a sugary donut recipe…love it. I may try out the recipe and sub in some nooch for the parm. I love quick “lunches” these days! Evelyn’s favorite game these days is chase the lotion bottle across the hardwood floor. Sometimes I wonder why I buy toys!!!!

HEAB November 10, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Tracey,
Toys are completely overrated. We’ve already received so many that we requested no gifts for Summer’s birthday. She still got a few, but they were mostly books or clothes for later on – practical stuff we really needed. Her favorite toys are cardboard boxes. :)

tracey November 11, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I made a variation of the donuts! They were awesome!
I have been reading some of your old posts about eating low sugar etc and I just really echo those feelings. It is giving me inspiration! I could go on and on! Again and as always I really enjoy following you and your blog. Happy Friday!

Christin@purplebirdblog November 10, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Oh my goodness YES!! I can’t even imagine how amazing these are. I still haven’t gotten on the donut pan wagon yet, but this might drive me to get one. I’d take a savory donut over a sugar-laden one anyday!

Felicia November 10, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I never even thought of making savory donuts! Such a good idea. Now the wheels are turning… :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 10, 2011 at 3:03 pm

YES! Oh my gosh with sauce to dip! Brilliant! Definitely making this one this weekend!!!

kathleen @ the daily crumb November 10, 2011 at 3:12 pm

never thought to make savory donuts… these look lovely!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate November 10, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Yep…the donut pan needs to happen for me soon. They’re EVERYWHERE lately!!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 10, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Ok love the savory donut recipe! I just got my donut pan about 2-3 weeks ago and in that time have been on a donut making (sweet) bonanza. I bet the savory donuts are great and I think donut making is more fun than muffin making…they cook quicker! And are cuter in the end :)

HEAB November 10, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Averie, agreed, but the pan isn’t nearly as easy to fill as a muffin pan. I made a mess – maybe I’ll try “piping” next go around. :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 10, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Just go slowly…I use a spoon and kind of dollop a big scoop in and then spread it/smooth it/”push” the batter within the loop. And top off with a little more batter as needed. Wipe any excess with a paper towel before baking. I hate to waste batter by putting it into a piping bag…seems like waste. Just use the “push it around” with the back of your spoon method and I bet you’ll have luck :)

Jen November 10, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Healthiest donuts I’ve ever seen! :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 10, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Cheesy filling?! Ohhh Michael would love these!!

lindsay November 10, 2011 at 5:02 pm

so you know what i am thinking right? savory donut with maramite and goat cheese, maybe a little tomato or avocado? mmmm, back me up here.

HEAB November 10, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Lindsay,
You know I got your back. Always! :)

bobbi November 10, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Hey girl love the recipe! What widget did you use to insert it into your post? Thanks!

HEAB November 10, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Thanks Bobbi. I use the Print This Section Plug-In: http://twodeuces.com/wordpress-plugins/wordpress-print-this-section. It’s so easy – just highlight the section you want printed and click on the print icon that appears in your toolbar after you download and activate the plug-in.

Shelby November 10, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Wow.

liz dean November 10, 2011 at 6:39 pm

YAY!!!!! So glad you love it!!! Let me know when you’re ready for more!!! lol…I’ve been stocking up apocalypse style lately…so have plenty! :)

Now…I’m off to make donuts for dinner :D

HEAB November 10, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Liz,
So sorry that I did not link your name to your blog. I am a space cadet these days and cannot keep up with who has a blog and who doesn’t. When in doubt, assume there is a blog these days, right? Will edit and link up right now.

Thanks again for adding some soul to my life. LOVE THAT STUFF, and love you for stocking up. Will let you know when I need another fix. :)

liz dean November 10, 2011 at 8:03 pm

lol…no worries!!! I have been such a slacker about updating lately! :)

Three cheers for some soul!!!

katie @KatieDid November 10, 2011 at 7:29 pm

These are MY kind of donuts! I’ve loved the donut trend but they always look too sweet for me. I never thought about a savory donut before but this is brilliant! I bet an apple donut with melted cheese on top would be divine.

HEAB November 10, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Katie,
I have no doubt it would. Reminds me of my dad always requesting melted cheese atop his apple pie. I always requested ice-cream. ;)

Cammie November 10, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Now you need a donut cake pan to make one big cake with a whole in the middle.

Try something with chocolate sprinkles (inspired by the donuts I see in donut shops) or maybe something with shredded coconut and raisins.

HEAB November 10, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Cammie,
Wouldn’t that be a bundt cake pan? I do need one of those – one XL donut please! ;)

Love the idea of a raisin donut with lots of cinnamon and perhaps with melted coconut butter “glaze”. Yum – Much fun tol be had with our new pan!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List November 10, 2011 at 8:55 pm

NEED donut pan!

michelle November 10, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I love my donut pans and now I love you :0) I haven’t tried savoury yet but now I will.

Tara November 10, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I love the idea of savory donuts! I’d love to try different kinds – perhaps a mexican one with cheddar and cornmeal or beans or something? Or an indian one?! OH the possibilities…

Ameena November 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I find donuts too sweet so this is the perfect compromise. What a clever idea…and dipping them in marinara would just be the most fantastic combination!

Pure2raw twins November 10, 2011 at 10:40 pm

donuts now are on my mind haha
love savory donuts – these ones remind me of when Lori and I made our savory avocado donuts, ok now I really need to go make some donuts :)
HUGS

HEAB November 12, 2011 at 11:04 am

Pure2Raw,
I have several of your donut recipes bookmarked, and I can’t wait to try them, especially the chocolate mint! :)

Samantha November 10, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Your savory ones sound delicious and yes, a pizza one would be a huge hit! A donut pan could be dangerous in our house!

HEAB November 12, 2011 at 11:06 am

Sam, I thought the same thing, but think about all the yummy wholesome donuts you can make – so much better than a trip to Krispy Kreme or Dunkin’ Donuts…but sometimes DD coffee is totally necessary! ;)

Health Bee November 11, 2011 at 1:22 am

Love the savory donut idea. BTW, what does a donut pan look like? Is it a smaller version of a muffin pan? :-)

HEAB November 12, 2011 at 11:03 am

Health Bee,
Here is a photo of the donut pan I have: http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Nonstick-6-Cavity-Donut-Pan/dp/B004CYELOQ. Love it!

STUFT Mama November 11, 2011 at 1:51 am

Okay, really? Savory donuts? Who would’ve thought. Those look fabulous. One more reason I need to get a donut pan. The boys and I go through lunch pretty fast all the time (and it’s usually thanks to me). ha ha!

Hannah November 11, 2011 at 5:21 am

Hurrah! I can’t wait to see what else you create! I won a mini donut pan months ago and haven’t made a single thing in it yet :S

HEAB November 12, 2011 at 11:02 am

Hannah,
Mini donuts? Oh so fun – I love all things miniature. :)

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness November 11, 2011 at 7:56 am

I’ve never really been a fan of the sweet donuts, but savory donuts?! Yes, please!!!!

Alyssa November 11, 2011 at 12:17 pm

MMMM….donuts!
Even better, cheese-filled donuts!
Thanks for the recipe!

natalie (the sweets life) November 11, 2011 at 12:42 pm

i LOVE the idea of savory donuts! can’t wait to try this!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free November 11, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Those look really clever! I bet you could puree a whole bunch of spinach in it to make ‘em green!

The Teenage Taste November 11, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Savory donuts…I like the sound of that. :-)

{ 1 trackback }