Not My Typical Lunch

by HEAB on November 15, 2011

Guess what? I did not eat a peanut butter/banana/Marmite sandwich today for lunch…which is kind of a miracle because I’ve ¬†been eating them almost everyday since Emmy told me about her beloved combo. It’s just easy to throw together and so darn tasty.

Today’s wet weather prevented Summer and I from going on our usual morning stroll. ¬†Therefore, I cooked, and Summer entertained herself with her favorite toy, aka any large cardboard box. I haven’t prepared a lunch that requires the oven in quite some time, but now that it’s getting cooler out, I’m sure I’ll be using it more often. Lies, lies, lies – these days I’m all about the toaster oven or microwave. However, I will be making this meal again as it was delicious.

MarmiteChickPeaTater2.psd

I made Steph’s Marmite Baked Chickpeas (had to get the Marmite in there somewhere). Loved this recipe Steph, and I should never have waited this long to make it! I changed things up a bit by using 1 can of chickpeas and 1 can of kidney beans. I only used about 1/2 TBSP Marmite and subbed 1/2 packet of stevia for the brown sugar in the seasoning blend. Then with about 5 or 10 minutes of cooking time left, I stirred in a few handfuls of spinach.

Ate it all atop a baked potato with a dollop of sour cream and lots of fresh pepper.

MarmiteChickPeaTater.psd

Such a good salty/sweet combo, and it paired well with the sour cream, but then again, what doesn’t? Still fear the Marmite? If so, try Steph’s recipe. It will convert you, and then you can join me for a PB/naner/Marmite sandwich. See you soon?

caroline November 15, 2011 at 3:45 pm

i still love cardboard boxes. i don’t blame summer… she’s just getting her creative juices started :)

Jennie (the gf-gf) November 15, 2011 at 4:05 pm

For a minute, I thought that was a blob of goat cheese on top of your potato. I’ll bet that would be good too!

One year when my sister was 2 or 3, she got a play kitchen for her birthday with plastic food, plates, etc. She thought the kitchen was pretty cool, but the enormous box it came in was the best present she’d ever gotten!

HEAB November 15, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Jennie,
Goat cheese is good on any and everything! Might have to try it atop my potato and beans tomorrow.

Growing up, my favorite toy was the box our refrigerator arrived in – my brothers and I played with it down in our basement until it fell apart. Hours of fun. :)

Katie November 15, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Are you kidding? That has HEAB written all over it!! :D

I bet you could make that in microwave easily. I’ve nuked potatoes many times, and the rest, for sure. It won’t get crispy, but you could just broil it in the toaster oven for a bit.

I may have to bribe Lindsey into sending me some marmite when she gets to New Zealand. Isn’t there a British version too? My friend still lives in London….

HEAB November 15, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Katie,
Well, truth be told, I did nuke the tater, but had to bake the beans. :)

I buy the British Marmite. I’ve never tried the New Zealand version, but I hear it’s sweeter as it has added sugar. I buy my Marmite at Harris Teeter, a grocery store chain here in Nashville, but you can also order it on Amazon or probably find it at most health food stores. I think you would love it as I know you’re a fan of savory condiments. :)

Lou November 15, 2011 at 4:11 pm

You know I love this. You know I’m going to make it, but with Vegemite (ha).

HEAB November 15, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Lou, I knew you would. Oh, and I’ve been doing some damage on the Vegemite too – I love my PB/naner/Vegemite sandwiches just as much as the Marmite version. Love the squeezable tube!

The Delicate Place November 15, 2011 at 4:11 pm

i still fear the marmite. i did pick up 2 Okinawan purple yams today at an asian grocer so maybe the chickpeas + cultured creme with make an appearance ;)

HEAB November 15, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Melissa,
Now that sounds delicious, Marmite or not. :)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate November 15, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I’ve never had marmite– I’m a little scared of it :-) Although, I have to admit…I AM curious about it!

nicole November 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I will never be able to let you live down the fact that you used to hate your microwave!! ;)
I still haven’t tried the Marimite…however, I’ve let you convince me to try many, many, many things that are much, much more strange…xoxoxo hence I still eat roasted kabocha squash with PB and have made many dishes that resemble baby poop. All out of love. I’ll go buy some this weekend. Have an awesome day my friend!!

HEAB November 15, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Nicole,
I know – can’t imagine life without it now. Just makes things so much easier! So glad you’re going to try the Marmite – remember a little goes a very long way! Try it roasted kabocha with lots ‘o butter. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 15, 2011 at 5:44 pm

This makes me wish I had a big potato in front of my right now. Although I did have a huge sweet potato for dinner last night. I had forgotten how good a plain baked sweet potato is!!

HEAB November 15, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Mary,
Nothing like it! :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free November 15, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Ok, I’ll try it. But first I have to find it! Where do you buy it?

HEAB November 15, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Alex,
I knew I could count on you and your adventurous taste buds. I buy the British Marmite (no sugar. New Zealand version has added sugar) at Harris Teeter, a grocery store chain in Nashville. Here is it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0ZC7G/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000JSO18K&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=10VG5V6H736VJBTCP4EP, and I’m sure you could find it in a local health food store.

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free November 15, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Thanks, Heather! I’ll have to check around. If I can’t find it in stores, I’ll order it for sure.

kathleen @ the daily crumb November 15, 2011 at 5:53 pm

very delicious! i’ve been stuffing baked sweet potatoes recently… my favorite combo is brussels sprouts, bacon and sharp cheddar. easy, quick, warm and filling!

HEAB November 15, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Kathleen,
It’s been way too long since I’ve had bacon!!! Must buy some and try this combo. Sounds divine.

STUFT Mama November 15, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Ha ha! My boys can be entertained for hours with boxes. :) I have yet to try the big M. One of these days…….

Samantha November 15, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Oh that looks so good, and yummy on a chilly day! It’d be nice to be in my kitchen long enough to bake a potato! Today I might have to purchase a jar and finally try vegemite. (the specialty store that has it could probably order marmite but my japanese isn’t good enough to figure out how to ask!)

And w/ pb and banana? Well that just sounds too good not to try!

HEAB November 15, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Sam,
Try this with the vegemite. It would be delicious – I also eat Vegemite/PB/naner sandwiches. I know most people like either or, but I love both Vegemite and Marmite.
P.S. Totally nuked the potato, but had to bake the beans. :)

Bid November 15, 2011 at 7:14 pm

very pretty bottom photo.. great light..

Marmite marmite marmite.. still scared to eat it but like saying it…a lot…

Your lunch looks great.. just cooked 4 little sweet tatters in the oven.. hoping they last until tomorrow although i could just snack on them all right now…

HEAB November 15, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Bid,
Think of you every time I eat Marmite…I imagine you cringing at the sodium. ;) It would be really good with some butter on a sweet tater by the way.

HEAB November 15, 2011 at 8:15 pm

P.S. Thanks regarding pic. Taken outside…in the rain. Not pretty here today or tomorrow. Please send coat.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 15, 2011 at 7:21 pm

It’s amazing how motherhood changes us, isn’t it. Finding something that you like and that is EASY, i.e. Eating sandwiches day in and day out, but loving every second of it. I am still not hopping on the Marmite train but glad you’re in Marmitey heaven :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 15, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I NEED Marmite!

HEAB November 15, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Sarena,
Yes you do. :)

Pure2raw twins November 15, 2011 at 10:29 pm

never had Marmite, but all these amazing recipes you are making makes me want to try it

Health Bee November 16, 2011 at 1:49 am

Yum… Marmite. Can’t wait to try the PB+Banana+Marmite combo. Lindsay recommended that combination also.

BTW, have you tried the PB+Banana+Vegemite combo?

HEAB November 16, 2011 at 10:07 am

Health Bee,
Yes, I eat the PB/naner combo with Vegemite as often as I do with Marmite. I know most people like either or, but I love both! :)

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts November 16, 2011 at 5:39 am

This isn’t my typical lunch either, but now I wish it was! Mind you, I’ve never tried peanut butter + banana + Marmite all at once – I like the first two together and the last component alone, but have now made a note to do all three at once :)

Riss November 16, 2011 at 6:47 am

Okay, you’ve JUST ABOUT convinced me to finally try Marmite, Heather. As someone who’s all about zaney and random food combinations I’m surprised I’ve never given Marmite a shot… I think I had a bad experience as a child, and it’s left me a bit apprehensive.

But you’ve yet to steer me wrong!

HEAB November 16, 2011 at 10:06 am

Riss,
Pair it with butter and cheese on toast, just a tee-tiny bit. I think you might love it.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 16, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Marmite? you are one very, very, brave American. Very brave. I lived in Kew Gardens for a while and I am pretty sure they made me taste it three times, three times I nearly barfed.

HEAB November 16, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Cat,
Oh my gosh, I love Kew Gardens. So beautiful – love that whole area around Richmond.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 16, 2011 at 3:45 pm

such a beautiful and unique area. I want to go back and visit so bad…and skip the marmite.

Emmy (wine and Butter) November 16, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Heaby, that is so funny because I was just thinking about you today, and how much I wanted to check in with you and also tell you how we may be driving across the states next Spring (hoping to heavens our relationship can survive either 10 days or my music and Louis wondering how he ever married someone so uncool, or 10 days of my music and me wondering how I ever married someone so pretentious). IF we do and IF we can make it co-incide with one of your well desrved mornings off I would so love to meet. Or meet you and Summer! I wont make her listen to Guns n Roses I swear…
Oh and also its funny because I was planning on having a M&B&PB sandwich tomo for lunch for the first time in forever. Weird or what!? xoxo

HEAB November 16, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Emmy,
Too funny. If it makes you feel any better, CD and I are very in love and have completely different taste in music. He’s more classic rock, and I’m more folk/alternative. We just each keep our own sets of headphones around. So hope you guys make it to Nashville or somewhere close by and we will do our best to make a meet-up happen. I can’t wait!

Guns n Roses is coming to Nashville on Dec. 4, and I thought about surprising CD with tickets. Would be quite a fun show I’m sure.

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City November 16, 2011 at 2:05 pm

wow – imagine this combination atop of a sweet potato! yummy

HEAB November 16, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Caitlin, don’t think I haven’t. Yummy indeed. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog November 16, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Oh my gawsh yes! Marmite chickpeas are pretty damn brilliant. I’ve been eating PB/Marmite waffle sandwiches and loving them, especially with blueberry waffles!! :)

HEAB November 16, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Christin,
I have never had a wafflewich, and I think the Marmite combo needs to be my first experience with a waffle sandwich. I’ll make a note to buy blueberry – I bet that little touch of sweetness is perfect!

Errign November 17, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I haven’t had a white potato in a hot minute die to my looooove of sweet potatoes but that white potato looks so good! I think I might need to purchase some :)

HEAB November 17, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Errign, I ate sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes for years, but now I like to mix it up a bit. Sweet potatoes will always be my favorite, but sometimes, there is nothing like a white baked potato…especially when cheese is involved! ;)

Nick November 17, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I do enjoy sweet/salty but I do fear the marmite. I don’t even know where I can buy it (perhaps I just never cared to look?). Maybe….

HEAB November 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Nick,
Nothing to fear – I promise. Just keep in mind a little goes a very long way. I buy the British version of Marmite at Harris Teeter, a grocery store here in Nashville, but I hear Trader Joe’s sometimes carries it, and it’s also available on Amazon.

{ 1 trackback }