Giving Thanks A Little Early

by HEAB on November 17, 2011

I can’t believe Thanksgiving is a week from today. Next week, I’m sure we’ll all get bombarded with Why I’m Thankful type posts, and so I’m going to write one today because I like to be first.

Why I am thankful today…

• Coffee – we have a teething toddler in the house. ‘Nuff said.
  • Sunshine – it’s cold but sunny and dry. That past few days have been filled with rain, rain, rain, and my body was in major need of some vitamin D.
  • A husband who gets up with said teething toddler at 5:30 AM and plays with her until it’s time for breakfast, which he then fixes and feeds her so that mama can sleep in until 7 AM on occasion. Thanks CD!
  • My mom, who is willing to get down on the floor and play with her granddaughter for hours. Thanks Nonna!
  • Love Grown Foods granola – the ultimate snack after middle-of-the-night cuddle sessions with a teething toddler…well, at least I try to cuddle. Teething toddler would rather laugh and play…at 1 AM…perhaps we should call Nonna.

201111171037.jpg .

The above image looks nothing like my 1 AM mugs of granola…picture a few handfuls of granola eaten straight from bag with a few more added to a mug of unsweetened coconut milk. So good nuked in the micro for 30 seconds by the way.

• Nonna’s vegetable beef soup that she makes in a huge pot and always puts some aside for our little family  Nothing but veggies and beef simmered on the stove-top for hours. So simple, but I know it would never taste as good if I made it myself.
  • An empty laundry basket. There are two reasons I am thankful for this: 1) The laundry is done. 2) Summer loved scooting it all over our downstairs while I ate lunch…which also makes me very thankful for our hardwood floors.
  • Leftovers atop a bowl of cooked spinach with tortilla chips, sour cream, and salsa for lunch…got about 3/4 of the way through this before the laundry basket game got old. ;)

MarmiteChickpeasSalad.psd

That would be the last of my Marmite Baked Beans and a few spoonfuls of Sarena’s lentil burger batter. I rarely bake it into burgers anymore as Summer loves the batter, and it makes a great chip dip for me.

• A peacefully sleeping toddler…nap time is a beautiful thing.

A quick shout-out to Laura & Matt. So nice to meet you both yesterday and best wishes for an amazing, safe, and blessed trip to Africa!

lauren @ spiced plate November 17, 2011 at 3:10 pm

An empty laundry basket — YES. That is such a good feeling, isn’t it? And how quickly it fills up again….
I love reading the thankful posts, but sometimes wish that we had a thanksgiving every month so that not only would we have a monthly excuse to feast, but also so that everyone would take the time to be thankful for all they have…gratitude is so important!
Thanks for sharing this with us — it was a lovely post to read.

kathleen @ the daily crumb November 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm

i love this post! i’m thankful for a husband who gets up with our 4 month old puppy who thinks they day starts at 5:13 a.m. on the dot every single morning.

HEAB November 18, 2011 at 10:04 am

Kathleen,
Your husband is going to make a wonderful dad someday. :)

Laura Bray November 17, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Hey Heather! I thought I should definitely comment since 1) I met you oh-so randomly the other two, and 2)You shouted out to me! Made my day… It was such a pleasant unexpected surprise to run into you and I can’t wait to see what your future holds! God Bless!

HEAB November 18, 2011 at 10:03 am

Hi Laura,
Thanks for the comment, and so cool to meet you and Matt. Again, I’m so glad you said something to me. Made my whole day. Please let me know if you guys are ever in Nashville again!

Health Bee November 17, 2011 at 3:37 pm

That’s a lovely post. It’s so wonderful that your mom lives close by.

HEAB November 18, 2011 at 10:02 am

Health Bee,
Yes, beyond wonderful. Seriously do not know what I’d do without her!

Sarah R November 17, 2011 at 3:40 pm

First of all–I love this post. You’re so good about seeing the little things to be thankful for,

Second–If I hadn’t convinced myself already, this post confirmed my suspicious that our little guy is probably teething as well. What is it that makes them want to get up and play in the middle of the night?!

HEAB November 18, 2011 at 10:02 am

Sarah,
Teething – ahhh. I blamed any sort of extra fussiness on teething for months, but trust me, you’ll know when the actual teething hits. We felt Summer’s teeth before they seemed to hurt her, but when the pain set in, she let us know. Poor thing – it’s been hard, but she’s been a little trooper!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 17, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Great post Heather! I’m thankful for coffee too!

I’m definitely thankful for Tony…I swear he is the best thing that’s ever happened to me. Nothing better than a soul mate that supports you and loves you unconditionally!

Oh and I’m thankful for you too HEAB! I need lentil burger batter now! You are a genius!

HEAB November 18, 2011 at 10:00 am

Sarena,
Summer is the genius. I just started feeding her the batter one day before baking and she loved it. So, that’s about as far as get nowadays. Love all your recipes, and I love your relationship with your husband and sons. Something I’ve always admired about you. :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 17, 2011 at 4:00 pm

“The above image looks nothing like my 1 AM mugs of granola” <—when does ANY of the food really look like what we eat…do I eat my cookies stacked 6 high with perfect crumbs trailing off or almonds that are artfully staged with herb garnishes tucked on the side…ummm, no. That's called food photography. I eat the food; it just looks nothing like that when I am actually ingesting it. It's called random handfuls and messy bites. lol

Sunshine, and a helping husband…that alone is worth many thanks!

HEAB November 18, 2011 at 9:59 am

Averie,
I often wonder if people that put so much time into their food photos actually eat the food. I never put much time into mine – don’t really use props, etc. I’d like to, but I’m usually too hungry. ;)

nicole November 17, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I’m thankful for YOU my friend. <3 Happy Thursday.

Christin@purplebirdblog November 17, 2011 at 4:34 pm

“so I’m going to write one today because I like to be first.” You crack me up, love you lady! xo

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City November 17, 2011 at 5:03 pm

so cute :) god bless coffee eh?

i’m thankful for finally starting a blog after being a big lurker for years :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List November 17, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Aren’t hands-on husbands the best?!?! Travis does the same thing and gives me some much needed morning rest! Love him! Thankful for him!

HEAB November 18, 2011 at 9:57 am

Lindsay,
Yes! Love my hubby. :)

Tracey November 17, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I am ever so thankful for a wonderful husband too! He never blinks to take an early am call from Evelyn when I need a break or some extra sleepy!

HEAB November 18, 2011 at 9:57 am

Tracey,
I’ve heard of some husbands that won’t even change a diaper. What?!? Makes me so grateful for CD. Sounds like we both married good ones. :)

Tracey November 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Heather-Jason actually changed Evelyn’s first diaper at the hospital- he asked the nurse “do I do this or do you?” She just kind of laughed! On another note, I returned my pump yesterday, it was bittersweet.

HEAB November 18, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Tracey,
Really? CD was nervous about even holding Summer at first (she was so tiny!), and had to have several diaper lessons once we got home, but now he’s old pro. That’s awesome you pumped this long. Good for you, and I know how hard it was to let it all go, but also such a relief! Trust me, I get it. You’re an amazing mama Tracey. :)

Tracey November 18, 2011 at 2:55 pm

You are an amazing mama too! I have to say again, I just love reading your blog!

I also have to tell you, I gave Evelyn a tuna version of the salmon cake, I not sure how she feels about it. She does like to squish it!

Jason actually had practice at a few couple showers we went to- diapering a doll blind folded. :)

Erin November 17, 2011 at 11:33 pm

What a beautiful read, Heather! As always…of course. Coffee really is quite glorious, as is your hubcap and peanut. xo

Critty/Orme November 18, 2011 at 1:19 am

I love this post and you need to be callin’ me for the 1am teething session cause ya know I’m a night owl!

HEAB November 18, 2011 at 9:56 am

Critty,
You are now on speed dial…you better answer! ;)

Hannah November 18, 2011 at 3:11 am

Why not burger batter when things like cake batter are so delicious :) If you get sick of Thanksgiving posts, just come down under (at least, in the blog-reading sense). I’m staying true to my Aussie non-Thanksgiving roots :P

Molly November 18, 2011 at 7:51 am

love this heather :) I am right there with you on the teething…Lillian acts as though she is wide awake at 12:30 and I don’t know what I am supposed to do! by 2am I am usually laying in bed with her asleep on my chest just praying we can get a few hours of shut eye. glad to know I am not alone! maybe we should Skype? haha. lots of love to you and summer and cd. oh, and do crazy that she is a toddler now! ah! xo.

HEAB November 18, 2011 at 9:55 am

Molly,
You know I’m always up for a 1 AM Skype session with you and Lillian. Hope you guys have a good weekend! :)
P.S. Yes, “toddler” = crazy. I still can’t believe it.

tania November 18, 2011 at 8:11 am

hi heather!
wanted to ask if you were italian? im guessing you are since you used ‘nonna’ :) – p.s. that little summer is just too precious- she seriously looks like a little porcelain doll with those eyes!

HEAB November 18, 2011 at 9:53 am

Hi Tania,
Thank you for your kind words regarding Summer, and no, we’re not Italian…my mom just wishes she was. She loves all things Italian!

Sarah November 18, 2011 at 9:36 am

Oh my gosh, Julian LOVES the laundry basket, too! I bring it out for him when I’m trying to make dinner or needing a few extra minutes! He’s almost 9 months, and I think we’re going to wrap it up for him to open on Christmas!

HEAB November 18, 2011 at 9:54 am

Sarah,
Ha, that is great. If only I had discovered this sooner. Oh well, better late than never. :)

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness November 18, 2011 at 10:48 am

Naptime is the greatest time of day. I love my little side kick, but those two hours where I can do nothing, but what I want to do is truly amazing.

Scott in Ohio November 18, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Incredibly grateful for HEAB!

You bring good energy, HD. :)

Jen November 18, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Oh…please send Nonna to make me that lovely, simple simmering soup? Beef and vegetables – you just can’t beat it ;)

Ameena November 19, 2011 at 11:22 am

Maya + the laundry basket was endless amounts of entertainment. Go figure!

I am thankful that Maya is able to read. Now she can provide her own entertainment. :)

HEAB November 20, 2011 at 10:57 am

Ameena,
Wish I would have discovered the laundry basket game sooner. All those baby/parenting books I read, and not one of them ever mentioned it. Such a waste. ;)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco November 19, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Thank you for the granola tip! I have like, 12 cups after testing granola recipes.

HEAB November 20, 2011 at 10:58 am

Kelly,
12 cups of granola? I’m jealous as I’m all out of my Love stash. Please enjoy a big bowl for me! :)

Baking Serendipity November 19, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I love your thankful list! It makes me sit back and reflect on my own. Coffee definitely makes my list, and I don’t even have a toddler in the house! You are braver than me :)

HEAB November 20, 2011 at 10:59 am

Baking Serendipity,
Toddler or not, coffee should always be at the top of everyone’s list in my opinion. :)