Keg ‘O Ketchup

by HEAB on November 21, 2011

In high-school, my friends and I all loved ketchup, and Keg ‘O Ketchup was one of our favorite phrases…however, I’m not even sure why we started saying it. Cristy, do you remember? Anyway, Carrie, my best friend since the age of six, probably loved ketchup more than any of us. In fact, whenever she was at my house, which was usually everyday, she’d fix herself a small dipping bowl of ketchup and proceed to eat it with either Doritos or Ritz crackers. Doritos and ketchup you ask? Yep, she even got me hooked on it. My ketchup combos have matured a bit since my Doritos days, but I am still of the opinion that ketchup need not be paired with french fries only.

Today, I enjoyed a favorite combo from years’ past: ketchup + eggs. CD cannot believe I grew up eating eggs covered in ketchup, but I did. My scrambled eggs came with lots of cheese and ketchup…always, and today was no different.

KetchupOmelet.psd

Goat cheese omelet with ketchup, Ezekiel cinnamon raisin toast and brown rice toast, both with butter and Vegemite. I know I’m always going on and on about Marmite, but I’m a fan of Vegemite as well. Nothing like a piece of toast with lots of butter and a little yeast spread from Down Under. Right Lou?

Ketchup fan? If so, what’s your favorite way to eat it, and what’s your strangest ketchup combo to date?

Ty November 21, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Biiiggg ketchup fan. Emma @ Microcosm of Life started me on kale chips with ketchup. Yummm.

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:50 am

TY,
Love dousing my kale chips with ketchup. Definitely steps things up a notch!

Shelby November 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I could not live without ketchup. My cousin doesn’t eat it and it pains me to watch her eat fry after fry, ketchup-less. I love dipping my grilled cheese in ketchup, oh and kale and ketchup is good too, and of course sweet potato fries!

I’ve yet to find Vegemite or Marmite :( I’m hoping to find some soon though, your combos make my mouth water!

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:50 am

Shelby,
Amazon! :)

Hannah November 21, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Darn tootin’! Having recently blogged about the wonders of vegemite raisin toast, I can safely say that my name is Hannah from Wayfaring Chocolate, and I approve this message.

(Although I’ve never been a tomato sauce [okay, okay, "ketchup"] fan. I blame that on my tomato-allergic mother.)

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:49 am

Thanks Hannah,
Your approval means a lot, and yeah, I think that is my favorite Vegemite combo to date…although the tiger toast was pretty darn amazing. :)

Alyssa November 21, 2011 at 5:31 pm

LOOOOOVE ketchup! Especially on eggs!
One of my faves is hard-boiled eggs with brown rice, spinach, and Jufran, which is a Filipino ketchup. Yum!

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:49 am

Alyssa,
I’d like that meal right now – at 9:45 in the morning. Yes I would. Yum!

Marisa @ Mind Over Booty November 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I’m glad to know I’m not alone with my ketchup obsession! I love ketchup and popcorn. It’s seriously delicious!

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:48 am

Marisa,
Two of you mentioned the popcorn ketchup combo. I never thought to pair the two together, but now I must try it! :)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) November 21, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I loveee ketchup and eggs. I also love it with baked cod, potatoes, cottage cheese (yes, random but is even better if you add eggs) and with potato pierogie is a good one :)

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:47 am

Felicia,
I can see pairing ketchup and cottage cheese, especially with eggs. I gotta remember to try that combo. :)

Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. November 21, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I haven’t tried vegemite but LOVE marmite!

As far as ketchup…I have never really used it in strange combinations BUT when I do use it on the basics (burgers, fries, etc) I use a TON. Like a keg o’ ketchup ;)

Heather @ Bake, Run, Live November 21, 2011 at 5:59 pm

I’m pretty boring. French fries, hotdogs, or cheeseburgers- oh, and bologna sandwiches. I can’t think of anything else that I put ketchup on.

LaceyAnn November 21, 2011 at 6:03 pm

When I was a kid, I’d eat (canned) green beans with ketchup. It was one of the only ways my mom could get me to eat vegetables! They were my green french fries :)
I have since matured and FRESH green beans are my favorite vegetable ever. WithOUT ketchup.

katie @KatieDid November 21, 2011 at 6:03 pm

oh I absolutely ate it on eggs growing up! Now I love tomato paste with eggs, I think that’s where that came from now that you mention the eggs and ketchup. And I have an incredible street vendor sausage today in Denmark with lots of toppings including ketchup!

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:46 am

Katie,
There is nothing like a street vendor sausage. NOTHING! Please enjoy another for me soon…with lots of ketchup! :)

Jennie (the gf-gf) November 21, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I used to LOVE ketchup on scrambled eggs! Also, macaroni and cheese – my mom taught me those :-) I also went through a BBQ-sauce on everything phase, but then one day discovered salt and pepper and have been a devotee ever since. Still love ketchup on burgers, tho!

lindsay November 21, 2011 at 6:13 pm

if you came to our house right now, that meal would be on our table. Its a standard! I think we are are on the same brainwave HEAB. Ketchup, vegemite/marmite, kerrygold, and toast, and eggs. Staple HEAVEN!

Whitney November 21, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Yeah, same here. Throw some avocado and dairy in there and sounds good.

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:45 am

Lindsay,
Yay – thanks for the comment. Now CD won’t think I’m totally crazy. Hope you guys have a wonderful time in NZ!

Meagan November 21, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one with a ketchup love :)

robyn jones clark November 21, 2011 at 6:51 pm

although my dad will eat any kind of ketchup, he prefers heinz. i swear if you did a taste test, he could tell the difference. our family loves ketchup. my husband doesn’t understand it either. i grew up putting ketchup on everything.. still do… love grilled cheese, macaroni, mashed potatoes, lima beans, green beans,etc…

by the way, i officially mailed your package today! p.s. the little elephant needs batteries.. i was going to put them in there, then i taped it up and forgot! darn it :) should be there wednesday and hopefully not broken!

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:45 am

RJC,
You make me feel normal in regards to my ketchup lovin’. We ate it on everything growing up, and some people find that so strange. Good to know that other families did the same – so thank you for making me feel better, and thanks so much for sending the package, and no worries about the batteries. We keep them stocked. So excited, and I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} November 21, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Oh, yes, I love ketchup. I love to dip my grilled cheese in it.

Whitney November 21, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I love ketchup. My sister won’t touch it (because she thinks it is full of sugar, and god forbid she eat sugar), so more for me.

I’m loving that brown rice bread lately. I eat a lot of it at night-time snacking, its so good!

J3nn November 21, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I love ketchup! Especially on scrambled eggs. I eat mostly the no salt added variety these days, it tastes just like the original. I have a jar of marmite in the cupboard, unopened. I’m afraid I’ll like it too much and it’s super salty, lol.

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:43 am

Jenn,
It is super salty, but you just use a smidge. So good – definitely give it a try on some toast with lots ‘o butter. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) November 22, 2011 at 11:11 am

It’s on my to-eat list :) I love nutritional yeast mixed with (Kerrygold!) butter on rice. So good. I imagine on toast is similar. Yummm

Sarah November 21, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I have to say it – “a little yeast spread from down under”? Was that intentionally funny or just a slip?

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:42 am

Sarah,
Haha – totally didn’t mean anything by that. It was a slip. Oops. ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 21, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I LOVE ketchup! I actually start to crave it. I don’t care for french fries, but I used to eat them occasionally just to eat the ketchup. My favorite way to have it now is with a baked potato, nooch, salt, pepper and ketchup! It’s so good!

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:42 am

Sarena,
I love mustard and nooch, but have never tried ketchup + nooch. Will be eating that very soon! :)

Christina November 21, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I love ketchup too!!! Eggs for sure, also I am with Serena – love ketchup on baked potatoes. People always look at me weird when I eat that, but why is it so wacky when we douse french fries in it? I also love to mix it with yellow mustard, McDonald’s style, on my veggie burgers :)

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:41 am

Christina,
Exactly! I put some ketchup on my baked potato the other night at dinner, and CD commented that he thought it was odd. I brought up the french fry thing, and he was quiet after that. ;)

steph November 21, 2011 at 8:22 pm

ketchup on my eggs! so yummy!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 21, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Scrambled eggs and ketchup was served AT LEAST once a week in my house growing up. And putting ketchup on hash browns or other pan-fried potatoes was common.

As recently as….last year…I blogged about using a dash of ketchup & mustard as salad dressing. And as a marinade, ketchup is great for all things from bbq meats to tofu to beans and lentils. It’s really versatile.

And I adore it!!!

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:40 am

Averie,
I don’t think I’ve ever used ketchup as a marinade. Good call!

Marty November 21, 2011 at 8:52 pm

An appetizer I thought was very unusual and yummy was a ritz cracker covered with peanut butter with a dollop of ketchup on top, salty and sweet! It’s very good! Ketchup on almost everything maybe cereal. I love mustard and ketchup mixed together used as a dipping sauce for carrots when I needing a hurry up healthy snack…organic sugar-free ketchup is my choice.

nicole November 21, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Ketchup on my eggs is a must! I always get picked on for it too. mac and cheese, grilled cheese, potato salad sometimes …. although just scrolling through the comments apparently i’m not alone at all!

Christin@purplebirdblog November 21, 2011 at 9:06 pm

My mom always ate ketchup on her eggs and I totally picked that up and still love it to this day. I slathered ketchup all over my roasted asparagus the other night and it was a-ma-zing! :)

michelle November 21, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Of course eggs and ketchup! Growing up my favourite though was kraft dinner with loads of ketchup…so good.

Ami @ parsnipsandpears November 21, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I’m a huuuuuuuuge ketchup fan. I eat it on tons of stuff that people think is weird… is it considered weird to eat it on eggs?? lol that is like one of the most normal things I eat it on… or so I thought. I often eat toast with just butter and ketchup… I take a lot of heat for that.

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:39 am

Ami,
I don’t consider it weird at all. Eggs + ketchup = normal for me, and I would never judge you for the toast butter ketchup combo. We grew up eating burgers on buttered toast with ketchup, and I always took mine apart so that I could enjoy the toast all on its own. So yummy!

VanessaG November 21, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I Love ketchup and eggs! I’m a huge fan of ketchup. I’ d say one of my favorite ways to eat is is with a baked potato. I use ketchup instead of butter and sour cream. :) I ate so much ketchup when I was little that we always got the ginormous bottles of it. I remember riding my bike up to mamas house (.5 miles away) to” borrow” hers, hehe.

Katie November 21, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I mean, ketchup is a vegetable according to the school system, so why is that so weird?

I love a good plate of veggies and ground beef stir fried in ketchup, mustard and nooch. It’s like deconstructed meatloaf. Because my mom always made meatloaf with ketchup in it. And on top of it. Oh, now I want meatloaf.

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:37 am

Katie,
OK, I must try the ketchup + mustard + nooch beef stir-fry combo, but definitely NOT taking a photo. Ha, bet it looks disgusting…like most everything I eat. ;)

Katie November 22, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Its a very HEAB-type meal, but surprisingly it isn’t as gross looking as it sounds. I think you’ll love it!

critty November 21, 2011 at 11:06 pm

LOVE THIS POST & LOVE ME SOME KETCHUP! If I remember correctly, we were sitting around your kitchen table trying to think of names for a pet or something. I of course was looking at everything around me and just using that as a name – I saw KEG O KETCHUP printed on the bottle of Ketchup and yelled that out as a suggestion. Then I proceeded to bust out laughing at myself as usual & kept repeating the phrase. ;)

Do you remember ya’ll giving me a blind ketchup taste test?? You guys didn’t think I could tell the difference between Heinz and Hunts. I did. HEINZ always wins….

I put ketchup on all kinds of things, including eggs. DELICIOUS.

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:36 am

Critty,
Ha, that story sounds about right…why did we always sit around and try to come up with pet names all the time? We were strange kiddos but had a lot of fun, no? Love you!
P.S. Don’t remember the blind ketchup taste, but it doesn’t surprise me. I do however remember the blind taste test with the Toaster Strudel frosting vs the Pillsbury Cinnamon Roll frosting, and just like you said, the Toaster Strudel stuff came out the winner. You and your taste buds! ;)

Critty November 22, 2011 at 11:18 am

I have no idea why we did whatever it is we were doing – very odd birds but definitely FUN. I totally forgot about the frosting test! That’s awesome. Man, it’s been ages since I’ve had a toaster strudel. I wouldn’t mind trying one again but I don’t wanna be stuck with an entire box.
Love you too!!

Amy November 21, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Oh, I love ketchup! I’ve always eaten it, but only recently in my late 20s have I developed cravings for it! Since I was a kid, I have put ketchup on fries, burgers, steak, chicken, eggs, white fish, or even better fish sticks!, and plain bread. These days, I will also put ketchup on broccoli, carrots, salad, crackers, and sometimes even oatmeal (with mustard, too)! I’ve also done ketchup and cottage cheese before. I love ketchup!

Monica November 21, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I’ve never been a huge fan of ketchup, and we didn’t have it in the house often when I was growing up. Probably because my parents came from Europe and I don’t think they were big on ketchup there at the time. I do love tomatoes though!

I have yet to try vegemite but don’t know if I want to after watching this video… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtPUbsnnYW4
Go watch it!

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:34 am

Monica,
That guy went about it so very wrong. Yes, Vegemite is super salty, and a serving size is literally the just a smidge – like enough to cover the tip of a knife. Spread it with butter on toast, and it’s magical. Eating a big dollop straight straight from a spoon would leave me gagging too. Don’t let that video scare you!

Health Bee November 21, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Yum, that looks delicious. :-) Which toast do you prefer: Ezekiel cinnamon or brown rice?

Still have to get my vegemite. :-)

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:32 am

Health Bee,
I love both, just depends on what I’m on the mood for. I think Ezekiel makes the best cinnamon raisin bread. Oh gosh – love it, but if I’m in the mood for plain bread, I usually eat the brown rice bread. However, it has to be served warm. Otherwise, it’s too crumbly.

Sara November 22, 2011 at 12:33 am

I’m a traditionalist: on potatoes, especially french fries. I’ll salt the fries, salt the ketchup, and then dip my fries in the ketchup. If that sounds like a lot of salt, it totally is, which is why I eat fries maybe once or twice a year. And since I do it so infrequently, I haven’t felt the need to alter the salt/ketchup/potato ratio. Go hard or go home, I say. ;)

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:31 am

Sara,
I like your attitude. :)

Venus Kalami November 22, 2011 at 1:28 am

I loveeeee ketchup with a garlicky, ooey gooey, cheesy grilled cheese. When I was younger I loveeeed ketchup on plain macaroni (this was my grandfather’s influence haha) also when I wasn’t a vegetarian I adored mini shrimps with ketchup. Man. I never realized how much I loved ketchup….I guess the condiments can truly make the meal sometimes haha ^.^

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco November 22, 2011 at 2:00 am

Mmm. A goat cheese omelet? I love that. As for ketchup on eggs? I’ve never tried, but I think I’ll have to take the plunge. I trust your taste buds. ;)

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:30 am

Kelly,
Trust me on this one – the savory sweet combo of ketchup + eggs is so good. Add a little goat cheese, and it’s perfection. :)

Ashley November 22, 2011 at 2:10 am

AMEN. I love ketchup and eggs. I remember a time when I was younger that I stayed at my aunts house. She served me eggs without ketchup. I didn’t eat them…
As far as weird combos, I know someone who adds ketchup to mashed potatoes.

junieb November 22, 2011 at 9:07 am

so funny! I just told basically the same story!!

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:29 am

Ashley,
Totally done the mashed potato + ketchup thing. Not so weird to me. ;)

Carmel November 22, 2011 at 7:06 am

I always dip my popcorn in ketchup… it’s so good! Anything salty and buttery + ketchup is a win in my book.

Emmy (wine and Butter) November 22, 2011 at 8:26 am

Hi Sweet Potato!

Okay so the fact that I was a ketchup OBSESSIVE as a child doesnt seem to be at all weird on this forum. Lately though I cant stand the stuff – WAY too sweet and its mustard all the way for me.

But, lest u think my tstes have totally matured, I do have another egg combo for you! Crumbled salt and vinegar potato crisps! In eggs they are so freaking good its ridiculous. ALSO have you tried worcester sauce in eggs?? do they have that in the states? That is also seriously awesome. AAAAND im well into getting a bit TB of marmited and stirring it into baked beans with lots butter. Best meal in a can. EVER. Food for thought!

Happy Turkey day to you and all yoru loved oens! xoxox

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:28 am

Emmy,
Baked beans + butter + marmite, huh? I’m so making that soon. Love mustard as well and go back and forth between mustard and ketchup. Also loved them all mixed up together. :)

JunieB November 22, 2011 at 9:06 am

When I was little I wouldnt/couldnt eat my eggs without ketchup. I remember this time I had to stay with the next door neighbors (dont remember why) but the lady would not let me put ketchup on my eggs but made me eat them. I cried the ENTIRE time. I never had to stay with them again. :)

Nolita November 22, 2011 at 10:47 am

I eat my scrambled eggs with ketchup and have since I was a child (but I can eat them without too). I remember when my brother squirted ketchup on his mac n cheese and I thought it was gross, but when I tried it, it was yummy.

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 10:52 am

Nolita,
Too funny, judging from the comments, you and your brother were not alone. Several others grew up dousing their mac & cheese in ketchup as well. I always ate mine with hot dogs and mustard. :)

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City November 22, 2011 at 1:00 pm

i am a former ketchup addict – heinz all the way!
it goes with grilled cheese sandwiches, mac n cheese, fake meat, eggs and anything in the potato family! i’ve tried to switch to hot sauce as of late due to the sugar in my beloved heinz. *sigh*

HEAB November 22, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Caitlin,
Have you ever tried this: http://www.amazon.com/Westbrae-Natural-Vegetarian-Unsweetened-13-Ounce/sim/B000LKVTB8/2. It’s good, and the company also makes a fruit sweetened ketchup I really like. Often times, I’ll just make my own with tomato paste + stevia + water to thin. Yum!