Girls On The Run

by HEAB on November 22, 2011

Last night I joined some friends for the Nashville chapter of Girls on the Run’s Evening of Gratitude. It was a way for the organization to give thanks to its local supporters and recognize GOTR volunteers.

GOTRDinner5.psd

If you’re not familiar with Girls on The Run, following is some background information from their website:

Girls on the Run® (GOTR) was founded in 1993 by Molly Barker, MSW and four-time Hawaii Ironman triathlete. Girls on the Run® is a non-profit organization with the mission of educating and preparing girls for a lifetime of self-respect and healthy living. The innovative, experiential program combines training for a 5k event with life-changing self-esteem enhancing lessons that enhance social, physical and mental health in adolescent girls.

Today, there are Girls on the Run® programs in over 150 cities across North America, with tens of thousands of girls and women participating.

GOTRDinner3.psd

Last night’s stories from the participants, coaches, and running buddies were all so inspiring, and I realized that even though the GOTR Nashville chapter was started only four years ago, it has already impacted many lives…including this group of lovely ladies…

GOTRDinner2.jpg

And no event involving runners would be complete without plenty of pasta…

GOTRFood.psd

Even though I haven’t laced up my running shoes in several years, I happily loaded up my plate up with all sorts of goodies, and I must say that the four cheese ravioli was definitely my favorite. Thank you Maggiano’s!

It was a wonderful evening spent with friends…

GOTRDinner.jpg

…celebrating an amazing organization. GOTR, thanks for all that you do. You truly are changing lives.

Chucks will be back tomorrow. :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb November 22, 2011 at 3:29 pm

maggiano’s is the best!! and GOTR is such a great program. i’m getting involved next season here in chicago… glad you enjoyed the night!

HEAB November 23, 2011 at 11:01 am

Kathleen,
That’s awesome – I know you will love working with GOTR, and you’ll be an amazing mentor to those young girls. :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 22, 2011 at 5:58 pm

That’s great that you participated in some GOTR action. Since you and I both have daughters, I’m sure you think about the future, what messages we’re sending, creative outlets for their energy, things that foster self-esteem and all that jazz. My wheels are always turning for Skylar and I’m sure for you with Summer.

Ahhh, Magggiano’s. Reminds me of living in Chicago and going out with friends and fam back there!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List November 22, 2011 at 8:42 pm

My college roommate was involved with GOTR – a phenomenal organization! She always came back to the dorm pumped and with a smile on her face.

christine November 22, 2011 at 9:02 pm

i coach GOTR at the school where i work…it is the absolute BEST thing! I’m jealous that we didn’t have it when i was their age!

Hanunyah November 22, 2011 at 9:12 pm

You received the Triple Cute Blogger Award from me! Check it out here – http://hanunyahssweetcreations.blogspot.com/2011/11/triple-cute-blog-award.html

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon November 22, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Sounds like a wonderful celebration! Girls on the Run is such a cool organization!

Health Bee November 22, 2011 at 11:41 pm

What a wonderful cause and great organization!

Katie November 22, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I did the fall and spring GOTR 5K as a running buddy for 3 years and loved it every time. Those girls were always so awesome!

Hannah November 23, 2011 at 12:40 am

Do you know what I see? SCARVES. *sticks out tongue* The tables have turned! :D

HEAB November 23, 2011 at 11:00 am

Hannah,
Hehe. Love you and your sense of humor. Wearing my scarf as I type this. It never comes off during the winter months.

Em (Wine and Butter) November 23, 2011 at 1:31 am

That sounds like such an amazing charity! It actually brings back a total fantasy I had when I was about 15 of setting up such an organisation (as someone in NEED of such an organisation, rather than a 15 year old with the skills of setting up one). I loved being a teenager but dang it was hard. Hopefully they have a CA branch I can involved with when I come over! (Also hoping not liking pasta wont be a problem… I do LOVE bananas, especially with you know what).
Great days with friends are the best. Hugs! xox

HEAB November 23, 2011 at 10:59 am

Emmy,
GOTR is everywhere these days – so exciting, and I hope you are able to work with them someday. I think you would be an amazing mentor for young girls…and you better teach them about Marmite! ;)

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City November 23, 2011 at 11:06 am

this is such a great program – getting girls thinking healthily about their bodies EARLY is so important. congrats on making a difference :)