Early AM Outings

by HEAB on November 23, 2011

I’ve decided that I need to go out for breakfast more often. After all, breakfast food is my favorite, and it’s nice to get out and about and see people. Nothing like the hustle & bustle of a busy local coffee shop early in the morning – I love people watching, and it makes for a great distraction until morning nap time!

Yesterday, Summer and I went out for coffee at The Frothy Monkey. Well, I had a coffee, a vanilla cafe au lait to be exact, and Summer snacked on raisins.

FrothyBreakfastDate1.psd

This morning, I met my friend Rayna for breakfast at Sky Blue Cafe, a fun little neighborhood restaurant on the east side of town, and I was so excited to see that they serve Drew’s Brews, my favorite local coffee!

SkyBlueBreakfast.psd

Along with my cafe au lait, I ordered a toasted jalapeno and cheddar bagel with cream cheese. So yeah, that’s not mold on my bagel – it’s a jalapeno. I love toasted bagels, and I love a good cup of coffee smothered in foam. Happy morning to me.

BreakfastWithRayna.psd

I never take my jacket and scarf off throughout the winter months. Seriously, I don’t.

So, that’s where my Chucks and I have been this week – at breakfast. Such a great way to start the day!

Happy Chuck Taylor Tuesday (one day late), and Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Americans!

Lucy @ Porridge and Parsnips November 23, 2011 at 11:51 am

Mmm, love the sound of that bagel – I wish we had such interesting bagel flavours here in the UK!

Also love the photo of you and Summer – too cute – you look so similar & both seem to be looking at the camera in a not-too impressed way!! :-D

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Lucy,
Ha, I thought the same thing. Both Summer and I have the same look on our faces. Too funny. :)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 23, 2011 at 11:56 am

A toasted bagel craving is one that I don’t get often, but a jalapeno one sounds delicious right now! Happy Turkey day!

Health Bee November 23, 2011 at 12:17 pm

The breakfast outings sound fun! Summer is super adorable at the coffee shop.

Happy Thanksgiving!

katie @KatieDid November 23, 2011 at 12:26 pm

very cute picture of you and summer, she is looking more like you each picture I see! mmmm a spicy bagel sounds so tasty right now! Glad you’re enjoying your morning outings.

Tabitha November 23, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Breakfast is my favourite too, I could eat breakfast foods three times a day.
The problem is I can’t go out for breakfast because I am starving within three minutes of waking up, my husband thinks there’s somethings wrong with me – hmm, perhaps on many levels. ;0

Whole Foods has opened here, we had one of your beef recipes for dinner let night – thank you!

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Tabitha, you’re welcome. Glad you enjoyed the recipe! :)

Meagan November 23, 2011 at 12:38 pm

That first photo is adorable. You look so pretty and Summer looks just like you! What a pretty little girl :) AND SHE’S GETTING SO BIG! Happens fast huh?

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Meagan,
Yes, too fast! How do I make time slow down?

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City November 23, 2011 at 12:40 pm

i love bagels too! within walking distance of my apartment, i have h&h bagels & pick-a-bagel. so dangerous!
that is a great pic of you with your daughter. you have the same grin :)

Meghan @ StruggleMuffins November 23, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Mmm breakfast. Couldn’t agree more about breakfast outings.

And I’m the same with with coats and scarves! I was just grappling with my decision to stay bundled up yesterday whilst working in a Panera Bread – it was sooo cold in there, but I didn’t want to leave myself without any extra layers to pile on once I went outside into the (real) cold.

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Meghan,
Cold coffee shops are the worst. I sometimes wonder if they crank up the AC or keep the heat turned down low so that you’ll buy more coffee. My favorite coffee shop (the one pictured above) is always warm and cozy, one of the main reasons I love it there.

Rose November 23, 2011 at 12:52 pm

My god. She looks just like you. Blue eyes unite!

natalie (the sweets life) November 23, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Summer is just the cutest! I bet it’ll be so fun celebrating the holidays with her this year :) You have much to be thankful for–enjoy!

ps. i live in my coat and scarf too..basically from october to may ha

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Natalie,
Yes, lots to be thankful for this year, and I can’t wait for Christmas. Summer was only 6 weeks old last year and doesn’t remember much from her first Christmas. ;)

the delicate place November 23, 2011 at 1:33 pm

summer and her lil smile! i love the smell of coffee in the morning. it just puts me in a good mood! i love your scarf in the last photo! also, i never take my coat off either hah. i hate being cold more than anything!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance November 23, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Oh, those beautiful blue eyes are to DIE for! Both of you are gorgeous :)

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Thanks Brittany. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving! :)

Lou November 23, 2011 at 2:40 pm

You and Summer look too cute :) Me and Misty go through far too many raisins… mmm tiny little nuggets of sweetie yum yum. I have to get my Mum to send over the Sunmaid California raisins from New Zealand, because for some stupid reason you can’t get that brand in Aussie, and they are the BEST. I grew up with those little red boxes, Mum used to bribe us with them. Love breakfast outings, best way to start the day, morning missions :)

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Lou,
Ahh, no Sunmaids in Australia? That is so wrong. My favorite raisins are those huge Thompson juicy ones. Oh my gosh, so addictive, but we usually just buy the little boxes of Sunmaid. Let me know if you ever need some, and I’ll send them your way! By the way, did you get the package I sent? It should have arrived last week.

Shelby November 23, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Jalapeno-cheddar bagel?! Joy to the world.

sarah November 23, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Ahh, you look GLOWING, a yummy mummy for sure:)
I live in a scarf and many many layers basically all year, we’re not too familiar with the sun in Scotland.
I love bagels, but I just can’t handle jalepenos- too burny!

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Thanks Sarah, and truth be told, I am so NOT a jalapeno girl either – too hot for my taste buds, but for some reason, when our server told me the bagel flavors for the day, I thought the jalapeno cheddar would taste amazing with cream cheese, and it did. Not too hot – wondering if they removed the jalapeno seeds?

onehealthyapple November 23, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I love perfectly toasted bagels too! I haven’t been following along with the blog lately but wanted to say how CUTE Summer is!

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Thank you onehealthyapple. She is pretty cute. :)

Liz @ Southern Charm November 23, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I love breakfast outings! I think I need to do more, too!

Christin@purplebirdblog November 23, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I haven’t had a bagel in far, far too long! Deliciously dense magical carbs :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 23, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Friend meetups, drinking vanilla cafe au laits, while Summer eats raisins…and OMG she is SO CUTE!!! Just like her mama :) But seriously…so happy you are carving out this time to recharge your batteries and connect with friends. It’s really…so important and wonderful. Happy you’re making the time!

kristen @ verbs and vignettes November 23, 2011 at 4:56 pm

happy thanksgiving! summer is looking even more adorable recently, if that’s at all possible. i bet she loves people-watching, too. :-) i’m so excited for these four days off… even if i just had a vacation this month. leisurely mornings top my list of favorite things.

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Thanks Kristen, hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving and the next few mornings are full of leisure and perhaps a little people watching of your own? :)

Heather @ Bake, Run, Live November 23, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I love breakfast food any time of the day! Actually, my boyfriend and I are making scrambled eggs and fried potatoes for dinner!
I am a freeze baby, so I layer up during this time of year. It is common for me to be wearing 4 shirts- and still be cold :( I have a heated blanket in my car, one on my bed, and I have a heater that runs non-stop under my desk at work.
I think I need to move south!
Happy Thanksgiving Heather!

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Heather,
We would get along splendidly as I love any artificial source of heat! Totally jealous of your heated blanket in the car. That is brilliant!

tracey November 23, 2011 at 6:43 pm

tracey November 23, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Heather- I was laughing the other day because I am totally a ketchup on eggs girl (well not right now b/c of the sugar)! Also, I always keep my jacket and scarf on in the cold months, even for about an hour after I get home! I just like to be really WARM! Happy Thanksgiving!

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Tracey,
Sitting here typing this with my scarf wrapped around my neck. There is just something about a good thick scarf that keeps you so warm. Love them! As far as ketchup goes, Westbrae makes an unsweetened and fruit sweetened version. You can buy them at Whole Foods or Amazon, or it’s super simple to make your own – tomato paste + stevia + water to thin. :)

jennifer November 23, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Heather and Family :)

I haven’t had a chance to comment lately on a day when comments on a post with her were open but I just wanted to tell you that Summer is so precious. She just gets more adorable every time you share a new picture. :)

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Jennifer,
Thank you, and Happy Thanksgiving to you as well – I hope you’ve enjoyed the day! :)

Alyssa November 23, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Cute!!!!!
The breakfast outings sound fun. And just what the doctor ordered for a SAHM.
When my kids were toddlers, I strapped them in their stroller and went for coffee just to talk to another person who was taller than my kneecaps, lol! Even if it was just to say “Medium soy mocha.” :)

Michaela November 23, 2011 at 9:25 pm

y┬┤all look so pretty :)
and happy!
Have a great Thanksgiving!

Lena November 23, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I love Breakfast too!!! the highlight of my day, especially eating in a Hotel, that’s why i love vacations, warm toast and oats :P

Summer’s looking more and more like you :)

Happy Thanks Giving! :)

Hannah November 23, 2011 at 10:27 pm

But do you have the problem at the end of winter where you take off your scarf and feel completely naked? I do. It’s a struggle, indeedy it is.

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Hannah – yes! I totally get it. Whenever I take my scarf off at the end of the day, I feel like something is missing.

Jill November 23, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I guess I never go out for breakfast because I seem to be hungry IMMEDIATELY when I get up and can’t wait to eat (which is kind of weird). I do love breakfast foods but dinner/supper is definitely my favorite meal.

East Nashville really does have so many unique and fun places to eat. I ate at Rose Pepper last weekend (glad you recommended it!) and we followed it up with Jeni’s. Oh my gosh-their limited edition Black Forest flavor is to die for. Super chocolaty with a cream layer and tons of cherries thrown in. My roommate and I keep thinking of different “occasions” that merit a Jeni’s visit. LOL. Have an awesome Thanksgiving!

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Jill, that Black Forest flavor sounds right up my alley, and I hear amazing things about the sweet potato + toasted marshmallow ice-cream. That Jeni is one brilliant girl. Oh, and any occasion merits a Jeni’s visit. :)

Cherie November 23, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Awww, you all look so cute! I hope you and your whole family have a wonderful Thanksgiving Heather!!!

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Thanks Cherie – same to you! :)

Marty November 24, 2011 at 3:35 am

Oh how I long for a GF bagel, with almost anything on it and a latte, I’ll be over in a jiff! I know it’s relative, but at -38 on Monday, anytime it’s 0 and colder I’m in long underwear, two shirts, and def a scarf and hat all winter long! We had a heat wave today, 0-degrees, a welcome relief!

Like her Mother , Ms Summer is beautiful! Happy Thanksgiving from across the miles, love and blessings for friends far away!

Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement November 24, 2011 at 5:17 am

Summer looks exactly like you in that first photo!

Kimberly November 24, 2011 at 7:04 am

Happy Thanksgiving Heather!! Many blessings to you and your beautiful family! ;)

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Thanks Kimberly. Same to you sweet friend. :)

Ameena November 24, 2011 at 7:49 am

Going out to breakfast is such a luxury! One that I’ve been indulging here on vacation.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your beautiful family Heather. I hope you have a wonderful day!

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Thanks Ameena,
I hope you guys are enjoying your time in NYC. Can’t wait to read about your adventures. Happy Thanksgiving!

Anita November 24, 2011 at 9:44 am

I’m glad you girls are out and about Heather. When you have such a young child, sometimes it’s easier to hibernate. As Summer becomes more independent, things will get easier. Your daughter looks wonderful so all of your beliefs and methods of caring for her are certainly working. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with health, happiness, prosperity, laughter, love, easy good times and big hugs. Somewhere on your table today, I know there will be marmite. Turkey and marmite sounds really good now that I think about it. I think I’ll add some to the gravy. Be well.

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Thanks for all the encouragement Anita. Hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving! Believe it or not, there was zero Marmite involved in mine, but the day isn’t quite over…

Anita November 24, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Always time for a late night snack involving marmite and possibly bananas. Butternut squash and/ or sweet potatoes, also all good possibilities. Have a great day !

Scott in Ohio November 24, 2011 at 11:56 am

Happiest of Thanksgivings to you and your family!

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Thanks Scott, same to you! :)

liz dean November 24, 2011 at 6:28 pm

happy thanksgiving!!!! Hope you had a wonderful one! :)

btw…Summer is getting soooo big!!!! <3

HEAB November 24, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Thanks Liz. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving as well!

~Christy @ wonderofallthings November 24, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I LOVE breakfast — out or otherwise :) Looks like you’ve got some great places to frequent. You ladies are way too cute!

HEAB November 25, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Thanks Christy. :)

Jen November 25, 2011 at 10:01 am

Hope you had a great T-Day! You always have the best smile in your photos – whether it’s the early morning or late evening :) (Love the bagel!)

Bid November 25, 2011 at 11:00 am

good hair at breakfast!

(on your melon, not your food)

STUFT Mama November 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm

YOu and Summer are adorable in that first picture! I would love to be able to tkae both my boys to breakfast by myself (breakfast is my favorite also). Maybe I’ll have to get brave one of these days. :)
Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Heather! :)

HEAB November 25, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Thanks Kristin, and yeah, I know outings must be a lot more difficult with 2, but hey if you can survive Costco, perhaps a quick trip to the local coffee shop would be a success as well! :)