I Do Not Like Being Cold

by HEAB on November 28, 2011

Therefore, CD has been cooking up some lovely warm and comforting meals that last us a few days.

FallChiliWithChips.psd

Above is a big bowl of CD’s Almond Butter Chili with tortilla chips and sour cream. Oh how this meal makes me so happy because it’s about the closest thing I’ll ever get to eating Mexican with my husband. CD is not a fan of endless bowl of chips, salsa, guac, and beans, but I am. Mmm, Mexican food – my favorite! Anyway, we love this chili, and it always tastes even better the next day.

We’ve also been enjoying copious amounts of my mom’s vegetable beef soup, and after mooching off her every time she makes a batch, we finally asked her for the recipe and made it ourselves. It’s so simple.

BeefSoupAtopTater.psd

Last night, I poured my (very chunky) soup over a baked potato. So warm, comforting, and filling, and I’ll probably have the same exact dinner again tonight. Leftovers are the best.

For another comforting winter meal, please check out the Trufflehead website. My version of crock-pot red beans and ham is the featured recipe of the week.

201111281338.jpg

lauren @ spiced plate November 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Woah! That soup and the tortilla chips look like a match made in heaven! I’m thankful that here in Maine it hasn’t gotten unbearably cold yet…but I know winter will come!

HEAB November 29, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Lauren,
My dad grew up in Maine and still shivers whenever he talks about the winters there. It gets cold here too, but nothing like what you guys experience. Take care and stay warm!

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City November 28, 2011 at 3:17 pm

mmm I love mexican food too. particularly the guacamole aspect. i could eat it every day!

HEAB November 29, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Caitlin,
Me too!

Shelby November 28, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Ah I’m cold right now and everything looks so yummy and hearty! I’ve definitely got to make that beef soup, it looks so flavorful!

Don’t even get me started on Mexican food. I could eat it all day everyday, especially guacamole!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 28, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Leftovers are the best. <– Yes, I agree! As busy moms, the motto cook once, eat twice..always comes to mind for me.

Your food looks hearty and perfect and I HATE being cold too. Despise it!

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving :)

kristen @ verbs and vignettes November 29, 2011 at 7:38 am

or cook once, eat allllll week… as i am doing with my lasagna from sunday. ;-)

HEAB November 29, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Kristen,
Lasagna is one of my favorite leftover dishes. So much better the day after, and the next day, and the day after that. :)

HEAB November 29, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Averie,
Yes, totally jealous of your Southern Cali lifestyle at the moment. Snowed here this morning. Yuck! Hope you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving as well! :)

Rose November 28, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Thanks, HEABmom! I’m excited to pour a stew/soup over a potato. Heaven!

Health Bee November 28, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Yum, these dishes look delicious! Hope you’ve had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free November 28, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I am with you-I hate being cold. That’s why I’m in Florida :D

And I love leftovers, too!!! I like making extra large batches of everything just for the leftovers.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 28, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Me too HEAB! I feel like I’m always cold so when it’s cold (and wet outside), I love big bowls of hot stew to warm me from the inside. Everything looks delicious!

Lara November 28, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Hey Heabie! I hate being cold, too. I’ve noticed lately that I always tend to get really cold after I eat. Isn’t that weird? Someone told me it’s because the body is working to digest your food, so it stops warming your body.
Your mama’s soup looks so yummy! I like that’s nice and thick, almost like a stew. I’m with you on leftovers! We are still having turkey sandwiches from last Thursday, and last night I made turkey soup to freeze. We’re all turkey-ed out now. Hope you had a great holiday!

HEAB November 29, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Lara,
I’ve heard the same thing about our digestive systems. So, I take it your turkey turned out well – I know you had quite the plan mapped out for preparing it.

Hope the new business is going well. So excited for you – after all, you are my favorite crazy dog lady, and I know several. ;)

Lara November 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Aww thanks Heabie. Yes, it did turn out well! I was pretty proud ;)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate November 28, 2011 at 4:50 pm

These do look like PERFECT cold weather dishes!!!

And– not a fan of Mexican food?!? How is that even possible??? :-)

HEAB November 29, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Anna,
I have no idea, but it’s very sad.

Katie November 28, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I’m giggling to myself right now, as I sit in my office with my space heater blowing at my face and my fingerless mittens on as I type. yeah, I kind of hate being cold too. ;)

Your mom’s soup sounds like something I’d make – lots of veggies straight from the freezer with some meat thrown in for taste and heft. YUM.

HEAB November 29, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Katie,
We are soul sisters. I love my artificial sources of heat and would be happy to have a space heater blowing on me all day long throughout the winter months. I really need to get some of those fingerless gloves too. CD likes to keep the house on the cooler side. :(

STUFT Mama November 28, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Mmm… love comfort food. I hate being cold too. Luckily I live in Southern CA, but I’m still one to always have to eat warm food and bundle up. :) In fact, it’s in the 70′s outside right now, but our house is a bit chilly. ha ha! :)

HEAB November 29, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Kristin,
One word: jealous! It snowed in Nashville this morning. :(

scate November 28, 2011 at 5:30 pm

<3 thanks for the recipes!

HEAB November 29, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Scate,
You’re welcome. Enjoy! :)

Hannah November 28, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Congratulations! But you’re always the recipe of the week in my heart.

HEAB November 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Aww, thanks Hannah! :)

Lou November 28, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Oh Mexican is my fav too… luckily Viper loves it even more than me! Hooray I can make some Almond Butter Chilli now (with a few tweaks to make it Vego for me… Viper would LOVE CDs version, so I will make that one for him!)
I reckon leftovers are better than the original meal, the flavours have time to develop. Have you ever made “Bubble and Squeak”? It’s basically a fry up (in butter, of course) of leftovers (meat, roast veges etc) I think it’s an english thing, but big in NZ too – delicious way to use up leftovers :)

HEAB November 29, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Lou,
Yes, I love meals after the flavors mingle for a day or two. So much better! I have never made “Bubble and Squeak”, but if it involves frying in butter, I’m pretty sure both CD and I would love it. :)

Pure2raw twins November 28, 2011 at 6:06 pm

soup sounds wonderful! full of all those hearty veggies. soup making is on my list this winter.

lindsay November 28, 2011 at 6:27 pm

i hate being cold too. I’ve had 3 cups of tea and 1 cup of coffee already. It should be warmer tomorrow. But if I am going to be cold, i’m gonna eat some stew to warm me up! love CD’s stew. Oh and have you tried guinness stew?

HEAB November 29, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Lindsay,
No I haven’t, but I think I need to. :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb November 28, 2011 at 6:49 pm

yum! this all looks delicious. it has gotten very chilly in chicago… dropping to temps that do not agree with me. i’ll have to try the soup!

Erica November 28, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Im a huge fan of soups,stews & chili! And almon or PB is so so good in chili! Stay warm!

Christin@purplebirdblog November 28, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Stew on a baked potato… best idea everrrr! I’m conjuring up a tomato-y veggie chili soup thing in my head for dinner after yoga tonight, and I just may toss a spoonful or two of almond butter up in there a la CD. :)

HEAB November 29, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Christin,
Hope you enjoyed your post yoga dinner! :)

Christin@purplebirdblog November 29, 2011 at 2:54 pm

It was PHENOMENAL! I’m blogging about it right now actually. :) AND I’m rocking my Chucks for Chuck Taylor Tuesday! :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 28, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I just had some vegetarian chili today! Definitely a good thing to help warm you up. :)

Jennie (the gf-gf) November 28, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Have you tried chili on top of a baked potato? It’s delish! I can’t say that I’ve tried stew on a potato, but it’s a great idea!

HEAB November 29, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Jennie,
Yes, and it is delish! So are baked beans – really good atop a sweet potato too. :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood November 28, 2011 at 8:37 pm

That’s crazy, it actually feels like summer here in New York City! Sunny day, clear skies… me in a bubble jacket. -_-;;

But I love chili and that food looks amazing, yumm :)

HEAB November 29, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Sylvia,
Really? It snowed this morning in Nashville. Yuck.

The Delicate Place November 28, 2011 at 8:49 pm

i was just gonna ask about the tomato (i love adding canned tomatoes to hearty soups) but your mom beat me to it! i have a chuck roast and i think this soup has it’s name written all over it! i must add smoked paprika and cumin in large amounts. i don’t know why but i can’t get enough of either one of those spices right now.

HEAB November 29, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Melissa,
Yes, the smoked paprika and cumin would taste amazing in that soup with a chuck roast. Hope you tried it! :)

katie @KatieDid November 28, 2011 at 10:11 pm

love how chunky that soup is- i love mine like that and not so runny. And I always pile chilli on baked potatoes too, such a perfect combo.

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco November 29, 2011 at 12:37 am

Congrats, Ms. Featured Recipe! But now I want that almond butter chili.

Hey Heather, I’m applying to be a LOVE blogger. Do you mind giving me any suggestions? Thanks! ;)

HEAB November 29, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Kelly,
I never had to apply, and so I’m not sure what types of questions they ask. My advice would be to be yourself and be honest about why you love their granola. Personally I love the big clusters and chunks of ingredients. It’s not too sweet and perfectly salted. The best!

Ameena November 29, 2011 at 10:31 am

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that your husband cooks. Things that are edible. And attractive.

This has not happened in my 11 years of marriage!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 29, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I forgot that you close your comments! I kept wondering why I couldn’t comment on your previous posts- then I remembered DOH! So in order of what I can remember: Happy to see you wearing the scarf!! And you can’t go wrong with a baked potato- ever.

Love you. And you look absolutely fantastic! Slim, happy, radiant. motherhood was meant for you!

HEAB November 30, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Deb,
Your scarf is one of my all-time favorites. Wear it all the time. Thanks so much for your kind words. Needed them today. Love you too sweet friend. :)

Eden November 29, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Oh I hear ya! I hate being cold too and it doesn’t help that I lack body fat so even in 80 degree weather I can get chilly! And the really weird thing is I always cold foods when it gets cold! I’ve had ice cream nearly every night this season! I need to start getting on the warm food bandwagon.

HEAB November 30, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Eden,
Nah, I’d probably choose ice-cream over beef stew any day. ;)

esmemerrie November 30, 2011 at 12:43 am

I am constantly cold during the winter!!! Warm food and hot tea are such lovely ways to warm up! Now all I need is a handsome man to prepare them for me! ;)