Fill ‘Er Up

by HEAB on November 30, 2011

I’ve discovered the perfect use for donut holes…

Lou'sChocolateCakeDonut.psd

Fill them with ice-cream!

For the chocolate cake donuts, I followed Lou’s chocolate banana birthday cake recipe. So easy, and it made 7 yummy donuts. They taste taste like dark chocolate banana bread cake. Thanks Lou! If you would like to try Lou’s recipe in donut form, I baked mine in a 350℉ for about 12 minutes. Now onto the ice-cream…

HomemadeCoconutMilkIceCream.psd

I know I just posted about the fact that I hate being cold, but that never stops me from eating ice-cream, and the other day I was scoping out the pints of coconut milk and kefir ice-cream at my local grocery store. $7.00 for a pint of ice-cream?!? I just couldn’t do it. So when I arrived home, I made the following…

Perfect donut hole filler I tell ya!

Jennie (the gf-gf) November 30, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I guess I’d better add an ice cream maker to my Christmas wish list – the coconut milk ice cream is so expensive but too good to give up!

Shelby November 30, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I’ve been scoping out the ice cream at the health food store and the prices are just ridiculous! Definitely adding this recipe to my “to-make” list!

Health Bee November 30, 2011 at 3:43 pm

What a creative way to use the donut hole! :-)

Thanks for the recipe for the coconut ice cream. Can’t wait to try it out. Yum…. Which brand of coconut milk do you use for this?

HEAB December 1, 2011 at 9:24 am

Health Bee,
Any full fat canned coconut milk should work. Personally, I like Whole Food’s 365 brand.

Heather @ Bake, Run, Live November 30, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I have been trying to add more healthy fats into my diet. I believe this coconut ice cream recipe will help! I too will eat ice cream even if I’m cold (that’s what an electric blanket is for, right?)!

HEAB December 1, 2011 at 9:24 am

Heather,
Ha, right! :)

Lou November 30, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Hooray! What a great idea… hmmm maybe I need to get a donut pan, they are a lot more fun to eat. I do have a waffle maker that makes penguin-shaped waffles though :) there is a little hole in their belly for a scoop of ice cream… Oh my golly gosh I am so trying this recipe… totally can’t justify buying coconut ice cream (can you believe it’s almost $12 for a half litre tub over here, madness!) If it gets too cold for ya… I’ve got the sunshine over here on the Gold Coast… just sayin’ :)

lindsay November 30, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Lou, i will go buy you a pan if you make these for me! hehe

HEAB December 1, 2011 at 9:25 am

Lou,
Yes, get a donut pan. They cook up so fast, and I know you would come up with some amazing donut recipes – sandwiched together with a little flax seed almond butter perhaps? :)

Addy November 30, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Oooh, Heather, these look so delicious!! For your donuts, do you have a donut pan or just kind of shape them by hand? I’ve been debating whether or not to get one, but these just look so darn good!

HEAB December 1, 2011 at 9:26 am

Thanks Addy, they were pretty tasty. I recently received this donut pan as a gift, and I’m having so much fun with it! http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Nonstick-6-Cavity-Donut-Pan/dp/B004CYELOQ

kathleen @ the daily crumb November 30, 2011 at 4:22 pm

delicious!! i’m pretty sure ice cream is the only thing that could make donuts better than they are. well… and whipped cream!

HEAB December 1, 2011 at 9:26 am

Kathleen,
Agreed. Love me some whipped cream. :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com November 30, 2011 at 4:43 pm

That looks yummy!! Donuts and ice creams are my huge weaknesses. I can never get enough of coconut ice creams ;) Ben & Jerry’s has a great coconut ice cream that makes me drool, just thinking about it :)

HEAB December 1, 2011 at 9:26 am

Kiran,
Everything by Ben & Jerry makes me drool. :)

Alyssa November 30, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Oh my.
Sigh.
That looks…SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!

Rose November 30, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Homemade ice cream? You amaze me.

sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) November 30, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Perfection! I’ve used arrowroot and cornstarch before, but I think I’ll try tapioca next time. This sounds amazingly delicious…I just have to put on a few more layers before I eat it!

Meagan November 30, 2011 at 5:32 pm

What a great idea… using a Bell jar to hold ice cream.

Erica November 30, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I knew donuts had holes for a reason ;)

katie @KatieDid November 30, 2011 at 6:04 pm

gahh the ice cream looks so dreamy. I’m not a huge sweets girl but I’ll never refuse ice cream, ever. It’s definitely my vice! I need an ice cream maker.

The Delicate Place November 30, 2011 at 7:28 pm

i had some island vanilla coconut ice cream this weekend but something tells me this would taste even better! i need to get some brown rice flour in my life…i find just using coconut tends to make dry, dense bricks of dessert cake ha. i haven’t hit the magic gluten free flour blend yet!

HEAB December 1, 2011 at 9:28 am

Melissa,
I have eyed Coconut Bliss ice-cream so many times, but it’s just so pricey. I should stock up when they go on sale as I hear it’s the best! Love brown rice flour – it makes the best pancakes, and yeah, I’ve had the same issues with coconut flour, but it worked in this recipe. I think the bananas helped with the moisture factor.

Samantha November 30, 2011 at 7:28 pm

We’re “RACK-ing” folks over the holidays. I think these donuts will be perfect for a treat. The ice cream filled ones look YUM!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 30, 2011 at 7:50 pm

These look awesome. I have been all about donut making lately!

I have chocolate/PB, vanilla, Cinnabun, and most recently one that made me think of you: savory donuts with cheese and cream cheese.

I am way more of a chocolate donut girl myself..and yours look…delish!!!

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood November 30, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Mmmm, that looks sooo delicious! I recently bought a donut maker that was on sale at Sears for Black Friday. Can’t wait to start experimenting with that this weekend! <3

Tracey November 30, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Can’t wait to try the donuts!

Steph November 30, 2011 at 9:06 pm

YUM! I want to make this NOW! I love ice cream and coconut milk!

Pure2raw Twins November 30, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Love filling our donuts with yummy toppings and ice cream sounds perfect!!

Hannah November 30, 2011 at 10:46 pm

You’re just doing this to make sure we southern hemisphere summer folk feel taken care of. Bless.

:D

HEAB December 1, 2011 at 9:29 am

Hannah,
Yep, doing what I can to help you non-scarf wearing people out! ;)

Katie November 30, 2011 at 11:11 pm

I am always cold, I hate it, and I still eat ice cream all winter. I was raised in Wisconsin, what can I say? :)

HEAB December 1, 2011 at 9:29 am

Katie,
You can say “Moose Tracks”. ;)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco November 30, 2011 at 11:24 pm

ICE CREAM filled DONUTS?!?!?!? You, my friend, are a genius. ;)

P.S. LOVE application sent in. Fingers crossed!

HEAB December 1, 2011 at 9:30 am

Good luck Kelly. Hope you’re spreading the Love soon!

juniakk November 30, 2011 at 11:53 pm

ahhh i want to eat this right now. chocolate donuts and ice cream. i really need to get an ice cream maker. which one do u use? ps – your baby girl gets more beautiful every time i see her. what a little girl!

HEAB December 1, 2011 at 9:32 am

THanks Junia. :) As far as the ice-cream maker goes, I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-25-Classic-Frozen-Yogurt/dp/B0009VELUK/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1322749884&sr=1-1, but I hear all Cuisinart models work great. Totally worth the price!

Ashley December 1, 2011 at 1:44 am

I kid you not, I made ice cream today. I’m not entirely pleased with my recipe, so I am excited to try yours. Thank you!

Carol December 1, 2011 at 2:09 am

Can i substitute the Tapioca starch for guar gum or xanthan gum? If so what would be amount? Also, can I substitute stevia to make a low sugar option?

HEAB December 1, 2011 at 9:35 am

Carol,
Hmm, I’d be a little weary of using the gums as it might turn out too gummy and just skip the thickener all together. I’ve made the ice-cream without, and yes, I believe you can make homemade ice-cream with stevia. Here, I found this recipe for you: http://www.sugarfreestevia.net/sugar-free-ice-cream.html

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli December 1, 2011 at 8:11 am

Donut a la mode! I love it! I’m with you, I HATE being cold, but for some reason, I’ve been craving ice cream more now that the temperatures have dropped. Maybe I should invest in more layers! ;)

Hope you’re doing well friend. Sorry I’ve been a little MIA from the commenting! Miss you!

HEAB December 1, 2011 at 9:36 am

Heather,
No worries – I have too. The holidays are upon us – not much time for commenting. Trust me, I get it, but I miss you too! My advice is to eat the ice-cream, just wear your scarf and hat while doing so. :)

Ana December 1, 2011 at 8:43 am

Oh gosh, it looks perfect for sure!
I also hate the cold, and love the ice cream idea :o )
And isn’t vanilla bean paste the best? I love that too!

HEAB December 1, 2011 at 9:37 am

Ana, yes, it is. Should have bought some a long time ago. Just never did b/c it’s a bit pricey, but wow, does it add some vanilla flavor. Love it!

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous December 1, 2011 at 9:14 am

Good thing I have an ice cream maker! Homemade coconut milk ice cream sounds amazing!

HEAB December 1, 2011 at 9:37 am

Rebecca,
An appliance every home should own. Glad you’re on top of that. Enjoy your coconut milk ice-cream! :)

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City December 1, 2011 at 10:51 am

well, i guess i need an ice cream maker now :)
hope you’re having a nice week!

HEAB December 3, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Caitlin, yes, yes you do. Hope Santa brings you one. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog December 1, 2011 at 11:03 am

I have one of those ice cream balls that you throw around to get the ice cream to set up… do you have any idea what I’m talking about? A friend gave it to me but I’ve never used it. This sounds like a great recipe to try out in it!! And one of these freakin’ days I’ll acquire a donut pan… knowing me, probably months from now. I literally just tried socca last night for the first time. Definitely going to be making more of that! ;)

HEAB December 3, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Christin,
Ice-cream ball. No, I’ve never heard of them. Must google now.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning December 1, 2011 at 11:50 am

I’m like you: I hate being cold, but will eat ice cream all year long! I got an ice cream maker as a wedding gift and definitely don’t break it out nearly enough- I take the lazy route and pay that ridiculous price for frozen kefir!
I have still yet to make frozen coconut milk ice cream, but need to try this. Does it freeze well? Or does it just stay one hard block (I can’t figure out how to NOT get it to that…)

HEAB December 3, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Lauren,
As long as you use full fat coconut milk, yes, it freezes fairly well. I usually let it thaw for 10 to 15 minutes before serving, and it stays pretty creamy. I find that using light coconut milk or coconut milk beverage will result in an icy block of frozen coconut crystals. No thanks.

charlotte December 1, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Recipe gold mine today!! First, I was just staring at a couple of brown bananas on my countertop and thinking that I am so sick of banana bread. I will totally be making the chocolate version! And second, I adore coconut milk ice cream but they only sell it at one (very far away) store here so you’ve solved that problem for me too!
Brilliant:)

Burnsy December 1, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Hey Heather!
I’ve been following your blog for awhile but this is my first time commenting! I should also say quickly that I have posted your Maple Nut Oaties recipe on my recipe page on my blog – I give the credit to you of course but I absolutely love those cookies! And my husband who could care less about my normal cookies, absolutely LOVES these. He requests them as soon as we run out (yes, I have a constant supply on hand). They are also such a fabulous treat for my ADHD boy that struggles with sugar. THANKS! I am wondering how many servings your version of ice cream makes. It is such a fantastic idea and most likely something else I will be keeping on hand for my kiddos so just wondering if I should double the recipe? Thanks for all of your ideas – your recipes are a tremendous alternative for the junk that is out there.

HEAB December 3, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Hi Burnsy,
I’m so happy to hear the Oaties are such a hit. Whenever I have people over, we always have oaties on hand, and they are quite popular. I love that recipe b/c the ingredients are great, and the recipe is so simple.

As far as the ice-cream goes, this recipe makes 1 quart or about 4 cups.

Kath (My Funny Little Life) December 1, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Very cool idea to make ice cream like this! :D

kristen @ verbs and vignettes December 1, 2011 at 8:22 pm

:-o I just added “ice cream maker” to my christmas list. holla!

kristen @ verbs and vignettes December 1, 2011 at 8:27 pm

too funny! ashley at (never home)maker just put her leftover cranberry sauce with oatmeal, too. http://www.neverhomemaker.com/2011/11/morning-after-oatmeal.html

if only we had any left after i got to it on thanksgiving! but i’m with ralph… it’s gotta be the weird gelatinous kind from a can. :-)

kristen December 1, 2011 at 8:29 pm

whoops… clearly this was not at all meant for this post. i’m sorry, heather!

HEAB December 3, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Kristen,
Haha, no worries. I read your comment via email, and I was trying for the life of me to figure out in which post I mentioned cranberry sauce. Cranberries + oats is a fabulous idea…not the canned stuff though. I’m all about the fresh cranberries! :)

liz dean December 1, 2011 at 8:43 pm

OMG….those look fantastic!!! Cannot wait to make both this weekend~ YUM!!

Kimberly December 2, 2011 at 10:42 am

I did NOT get a donut pan for my b-day so looks like I’ll have to add it to my Christmas list! I did find a local coffee shop that has yummy gluten free donuts. :) Yours look amazingly yummy!!

HEAB December 3, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Kimberly,
My donut pan was only $10 on Amazon, and I saw one at Michael’s yesterday as well. Just think, homemade gluten free donuts all the time – it’s a must! :)

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel December 2, 2011 at 4:55 pm

totally was expecting the usual jam or jelly filling but i should have expected something more inventive since i always know you take your creations to that next level! it’s such a great idea too, like a super delicious edible bowl for the ice cream to sit in :) hey, saves on the extra dish washing! ;)

xoxo <3

Living, Learning, Eating December 3, 2011 at 8:24 am

I agree, ice cream is the best!