CD and I have been busy trimming the tree, wrapping presents, etc. My mom has been busy in the kitchen and as always, is happy to share. She brought over a huge pot of her homemade chicken soup, enough to last several days she said. Um, not quite. CD, Summer, and I finished if off in about 24 hours. Thanks again mom. I grew up eating this soup – so good and very good for you!
HEAB’s Mom’s Chicken Soup
- One soup hen or broiler chicken (hen will require longer cooking time)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 lb carrots, chopped
- 4 cups rice (uncooked). This last pot contained brown Basmati. Just use your favorite, white or brown. It doesn’t matter.
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken in a large pot on stovetop and fill with water until water covers bottom half of chicken. Add onion and a few pinches of salt.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat and simmer covered until chicken falls off bone – at least two hours, if not longer.
- Remove chicken from the pot and debone. Set meat aside.
- Add carrots, rice, and 4 cups water to pot of chicken broth and simmer, partially covered, for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. You can add boxed chicken broth to thin out soup if too thick, but we prefer ours on the thicker side.
- Add chicken.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Call your mom and tell her you love her. ♥