Hearty Chicken Soup

by HEAB on December 8, 2011

CD and I have been busy trimming the tree, wrapping presents, etc. My mom has been busy in the kitchen and as always, is happy to share. She brought over a huge pot of her homemade chicken soup, enough to last several days she said. Um, not quite. CD, Summer, and I finished if off in about 24 hours. Thanks again mom. I grew up eating this soup – so good and very good for you!

Mom'sChickenSoup2.psd

Mom'sChickenSoup.psd

Lou December 8, 2011 at 2:47 pm

So simple, so homely, so comforting. My Mum used to make this chicken casserole for us as kids… while I was pregnant I couldn’t get the thought of it out of my head, so rang her begging for the recipe. I think I was literally feeding my ‘inner child’ (!)

Yay for Mums!

Lou December 8, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Or Mom’s as you guys say ;)

HEAB December 9, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Lou,
Haha – same thing happened to me when I was pregnant, but I craved all of my mom’s not so healthy dishes, like these little toasty things covered in sausage and Velveeta. She made a batch when I was pregnant with Summer, and I devoured them. Never tasted so good! ;)

Jennie (the gf-gf) December 8, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Ah, I love any kind of chicken soup in the winter – it’s the perfect comfort food :-)

HEAB December 9, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Jennie,
Agreed! :)

katie @KatieDid December 8, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Just made a thick healthy chicken broth for myself the other day and used it in a chicken soup that came out amazing. Homemade broth is simple and SO incredibly delicious. And I love thick hearty soups too!

HEAB December 9, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Katie,
And so good for you too! :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm

your chicken soup DOES look so hearty.

And I am digging the orange fiestaware bowl. Am I the only person who doesn’t own any of these adorable bowls? I think so :)

I grew up eating my grandma’s chicken noodle soup…what I wouldn’t give to be able to go back in time two decades and have a bowl with her next to me.

HEAB December 9, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Averie,
Bowls are from Anthropologie. I buy one or two new ones every year. Think I have about 8 now. My favorite bowls!

Erica December 8, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I am soup crazy right now!! Yum yum! Is summer looking forward to santas visit? Hope youre doing well ;)

HEAB December 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Erica,
Hope you are doing well. Will you guys be in Nashville anytime soon? Would love to meet the Peanut and see you and Josh again! It’s funny – we thought we would have to gate off the Christmas tree and presents with Summer’s baby gate, but she hasn’t even gone near it. I’m so surprised. She’d rather just play with my cell phone. ;)

Health Bee December 8, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Yum, mom’s chicken soup sounds so good. I need to make some to fight off the cold. :-)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) December 8, 2011 at 3:57 pm

That looks like something that should be in my belly. :) I’m surprised by the omission of celery in it, though!

HEAB December 9, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Jenn,
Yeah, I know others add celery but not my mom. It would be good but not necessary in my opinion. So yummy on its own.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 8, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Chicken soup is so good for the soul and your belly! Always a winner. This sounds delicious!

Lara December 8, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I love your mom’s soup style–thick and chunky! That’s just how I like my soup…especially over rice or filled with rice :)

Michelle December 8, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Sounds so simple and yummy! Added it to my pinterest board!

Thanks for sharing!
xo

HEAB December 9, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Thanks Michelle. Always an honor to get pinned. :)

Shelby December 8, 2011 at 5:13 pm

This is what we make with the leftover turkey bones from Thanksgiving. My mom made a HUGE vat of it and we add rice, carrots, celery, kale, and peas. I’ve been eating it everyday since, so yummy!

STUFT Mama December 8, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Aww… chicken soup. Such a mom thing and sooo delicious. :) I’m jealous! I’m also jealous of the fact that you’re already wrapping Christmas gifts. I have yet to get my decorations out of the closet. oops. :) I better get on it! :) Love all your gift giving ideas too! Your blog calms me for some reason, is that weird? :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free December 8, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Chicken soup has to be the most comforting, warm, healthy food. I just made a huge batch last week and finished off my last bowl yesterday.

HEAB December 9, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Alex,
And it lasts a long time too. Flavor gets better every day. :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb December 8, 2011 at 6:03 pm

mmmm thanks for sharing! and i like the orange and blue in that last picture… bears colors :)

HEAB December 9, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Kathleen,
Yes. Go BEARS! :)

PT December 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I made something similar in the crockpot. I threw in a whole chicken in the crockpot and cover it 3/4 way with water, some garlic cloves, handfuls of shredded carrots and a cup of rice and let it simmer all day while I’m at work. It’s so nice to come home to the aroma of chicken soup and have dinner ready!

HEAB December 9, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Thanks PT. Good to know. Love my crock-pot!

kalli December 8, 2011 at 7:05 pm

i love how this soup is less soupy and more grainy!

Joelle (on a pink typewriter) December 8, 2011 at 8:32 pm

That chicken soup looks thick and yummy! I hope all is well for you and your fam, Heather!

HEAB December 9, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Thanks Joelle. I hope the same for you. :)

Anita December 8, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Chicken soup is great but I can no longer wait 2 hours. I go to the health food store. Everyday they roast chickens. I take the roasted chicken, throw it in some spring water, throw in some low sodium chicken broth for good measure, and all the vegetables I can fit in. Soup done in like 30 minutes? I always like using roasted chicken, gives it a richer flavor. Also can throw in some mini meatballs with the rice. The chicken we eat separately or sometimes, I just make a salad with it. Sometimes I’ll get a roasted turkey breast from Stop and Shop and do the same. ‘Tis the season to eat soup, I agree. Last weekend I got beef bones with the marrow and all and made soup out of that. My favorite growing up although very primal. There is a restaurant called Prune in NYC. She makes a dish with marrow. This beef soup I have to refrigerate overnight and skim the fat off in the AM. It’s all good. Thanks for everything.

HEAB December 9, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Anita,
Chicken soup quick fix. I like it. :)

Hannah December 8, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Can you please come wrap my presents? Also, you know, buy them? GAH CHRISTMAS PANIC.

HEAB December 9, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Hannah,
I know. This month is flying by. You’ll get it all done!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco December 8, 2011 at 11:30 pm

If this were vegetarian it would be right up my alley.. oh well. More for you! ;) It looks amazing.

Marty December 9, 2011 at 1:10 am

Kelly, I agree, it sounds sooooo comforting nonetheless! How’bout tofo or tempe in a pot with veggies? Nothing like soups this time if year, hmmmm, so soothing and warms the soul!

Marty December 9, 2011 at 1:14 am

The photos are beautiful too. I love the fiestaware too!

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City December 9, 2011 at 1:47 pm

i bet my bf would love this!

Christin@purplebirdblog December 9, 2011 at 3:41 pm

My mom’s chicken soup was pretty much this, minus the rice, plus some celery. It was always simply perfect, like I just know this is. I need to buy me a chicken. :)

Meagan December 9, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Oh I love chicken soup – that looks great. My mom always put celery in hers.