No-Bake Granookies

by HEAB on December 12, 2011

I love a good ice-cream sandwich.  I mean who doesn’t love ice-cream sandwiched between two cookies, but more about that in a minute.  First, I must tell you about Granookies.  Gra-what?

GRANOOKIE [grah-noo-kee] noun A cookie made with granola.

The Granookies turned out great and were really easy to make.  They’re soft but contain a little crunch from the granola, and I love their fresh lemon flavor.  Now about those ice-cream sandwiches…

Every single one of my Granookies got sandwiched together with vanilla bean ice-cream and put in the freezer.  AMAZING!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiascof December 12, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Can I eat the whole batch? They look tooooo good. ;)

By the way, could I sub homemade granola? Thanks!

HEAB December 14, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Kelly,
Well, you could, but they’re already all gone. ;)
And yes, any type of granola will work in the recipe. Enjoy!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 12, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Never in a million bajillion years would I have ever thought to put 1/2 tsp Nama Shoyu in cookies! I bet with the lemon though it’s tasty.

I’d still rather load up on cocoa powder and sugar…but ya know :)

Seriously these look great and so creative!

And gives me an idea what to do with the granola I have on hand. Believe it or not, I brought down two bags of Love Grown to Aruba :) not kidding!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 12, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Love the name! I love mixing two incredible ingredients only to achieve something even greater! YUM!

molly December 12, 2011 at 8:48 pm

yum, yum, yum!! xo

Sarah (I Dream of Beets) December 12, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Yes, please! I have to get on this wagon quickly.

Emily December 12, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I’m curious…why the soy sauce? I’ve never used it in a sweet recipe! Does it just add depth?

HEAB December 14, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Emily,
I use Nama Shoyu in my favorite raw pie crust recipe, and that’s where I got the idea. It adds a salty kick, and the flavor works really well with the lemon & nutmeg.

kathleen @ the daily crumb December 12, 2011 at 9:58 pm

yum!! 2 of my favorite things combined into 1… what could be better?!

Tara December 12, 2011 at 9:59 pm

If you’re submitting this for the love grown cookie competition… well you are one good contender! I don’t know if I’ll be able to beat it. Mainly because I want to make these before I make anything else!! They sound delicious!

lindsay December 12, 2011 at 10:15 pm

thats what i was thinking. Plus no bake means i can let go of any patience i have left from cooking. Yeehaw!

HEAB December 14, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Tara, yep, I am. Can’t wait to see what everyone else comes up with! :)

Emily December 12, 2011 at 10:19 pm

i really am dying to figure out why the soy sauce… i love it, i’m chinese, but hey… scratches head.

HEAB December 14, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Emily,

katie @KatieDid December 12, 2011 at 10:27 pm

So creative I can barely stand it! I’m so trying this soy sauce, lemon juice combo in some baked goods soon, sounds right up my ally.

Hannah December 13, 2011 at 1:42 am

Utterly loving your use of tamari instead of salt to give the salt edge with a little more oomph! I think I’d have to make a granola myself in order to make these; have yet to find a store-bought kind in Australia that would be worth turning into cookies. Dark Australia’s lack of granola deliciousness!

HEAB December 14, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Thanks Hannah. Seems a lot of others were confused by the addition of tamari. You always get me…even if you hate the raisin. ;)

Marty December 13, 2011 at 5:48 am

Oh yum, and so easy-peasy!!! Ooh, have some cranberry granola on hand, that sounds good, hmm, maybe with the addition of a little cocoa powder added to the cookie mix? You’re brilliant as ever Heather! Xoxo to Ms Summer…

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous December 13, 2011 at 7:35 am

Those look amazing! I love raw desserts!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free December 13, 2011 at 7:57 am

Haha…there you go making up hybrid cookie names again! I love it…just like your scookies…..only granookies! You need to make a whole new recipe section full of hybrids now.

HEAB December 14, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Alex,
Well, I googled Granookie after writing this post, and apparently, I didn’t come up with it. Now, let’s just hope it’s not copyrighted and I don’t get sued. ;)

Rachel @ I'm Loving Today December 13, 2011 at 10:15 am

Oh wow… those look good enough on their own, but the addition of ice cream sends them over the edge! The best part is how relatively simple they look to make. I will definitely be trying these out sometime soon :)

HEAB December 14, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Rachel,
Hope you enjoy your ice-cream cookie sandwiches while sitting in your new gorgeous chairs. They look great! Been loving all your holiday craft ideas as well. Thanks for sharing.

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 13, 2011 at 10:20 am

Ooh I’m curious to try this! I’ve done the raw cookies/larabars with dates and walnuts and something about the texture and the oiliness from the nuts turns me off. I feel like the crunch from the granola would be so good!

HEAB December 14, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Jamie,
yes, I think you would love the addition of granola. It added a really nice and slightly crunchy texture. Hope you try it soon! :)

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness December 13, 2011 at 10:36 am

Yes, please.

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City December 13, 2011 at 10:44 am

wow these look so good! anything that doesn’t require baking is a-okay in my books :)

Ameena December 13, 2011 at 11:25 am

Soy sauce and dates? What a crazy combo. So crazy it’s probably delicious. :)

Hope you are doing good Heather! I hope your holidays are fabulous.

Alexis December 13, 2011 at 11:32 am

I wish they sold that granola in Canada. For granolas so far I’ve had the Natures Path varieties and the Enjoy Life and I’m curious about others.

HEAB December 14, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Alexis,
I will admit that Love Grown Foods is my favorite, but Nature’s Path is really good too. Love the pumpkin flax flavor!

Christin@purplebirdblog December 13, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Nama Shoyu in cookies?! I imagine that worked out AMAZING! Love the Love! And I’ve been craving lemon stuff like crazy lately, so these would certainly suit my palate just fine. :)

Pure2raw twins December 13, 2011 at 9:09 pm

oh yum! what a great idea to use granola in the cookies :)

Lou December 13, 2011 at 11:18 pm

HEABie… love your work. Love love LOVE your work. That is all :)

HEAB December 14, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Lou, you know the feeling is mutual. :)

Laura @ She Eats Well December 14, 2011 at 1:41 am

So very curious about the use of soy sauce in this recipe. How did you think of that and how does it work taste-wise….(well, I suppose you’ve twisted my arm into making these now :)

HEAB December 14, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Laura,

Meghan @ Struggle Muffins December 14, 2011 at 8:14 am

You had me at ‘no bake,’ but then you really did me in with ‘granookies.’ Amazing. I’ll be whipping up some of these quite soon, pleaseandthankyou :)

Meghan @ Making Love in the Kitchen December 14, 2011 at 9:31 am

These are absolutely adorable and look so delicious! Thanks for sharing this sweet, sweet recipe.

HEAB December 14, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Meghan, you’re welcome. Hope you try them!