To All Fellow Peppermint Mocha Addicts

by HEAB on December 18, 2011

Know why I’m smiling in this photo?

Because I did not pay $4+ for a tall Peppermint Mocha!

For a less expensive version, request a peppermint mocha Misto, which is coffee + steamed milk instead of espresso + steamed milk.  Just as good if you ask me.  Still cheaper even if you order a grande.  So, more peppermint mocha flavor to love and less cash leaves your wallet. Happiness.  However, I have two suggestions for the folks at Starbucks:  Your size tall should go by another name as it is not tall at all in my opinion.  Please offer skinny versions of your peppermint mochas year-round. Thank you.

Sincerely,

HEAB

Katie December 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm

That’s the best news! I have never had a peppermint mocha…but I am going to try your version for sure. Thanks for the tip!

Heather December 18, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Brilliance. Tomorrow I may have to crack open to wallet again. ;)

Side note, you are so beautiful! Such a happy glow.

HEAB December 19, 2011 at 11:30 am

Thanks Heather. Peppermint + chocolate always makes me glow. :)

The Delicate Place December 18, 2011 at 4:25 pm

haha that’s like my ‘latte’ trick ordering 1 shot espresso over ice and then hopping over to the milk bar to fill ‘er up! i adore that hat! unfortunately i look rather troll like with hats…big hair and small forehead do not a flattering hat head maketh.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) December 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Someday, I’ll be hip to all of this cool coffee lingo. For now, I’ll be as confused as ever, lol.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 18, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I rarely, rarely pay for Starbucks b/c I am 1. cheap and 2. can suck down a coffee (hot…and iced is a big fat joke how fast I can drink those) sooo fast so I brew and drink at home. But…if I am ever forced to break down and buy a ‘Bucks, I always use the Misto trick. Works every time.

Glad you discovered it.

Adorable picture of you!

Jenn (eating bender) December 18, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I will cheers to that. Great tip, Heather!

Love that picture – cute hat!

Tara December 18, 2011 at 5:57 pm

If you get a Starbucks gift card and register it online, the peppermint syrup (and any other syrup for that matter, as well as soy milk) will be free. You’ll also get a free drink every 15 times you use it, plus a free one on your birthday!

HEAB December 19, 2011 at 11:31 am

Tara,
Really? I did not know this – thanks for the info. Makes me very happy! :)

sarah December 19, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I always do this. Pay with my bucks registered card. I order a vanilla soy americano misto. You still get the espresso but less milky and way cheaper, like under 3 bucks! Love!

Alaina December 18, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I love my misto’s!! It’s so much better than a latte and definitely less expensive. :-)

tea-bagginit December 18, 2011 at 6:56 pm

i agree with the misnomer “tall” label. i think i will start ordering “shorties” :) i’ve never had the peppermint flavor but i love, love, love the sugar free cinnamon dulce!!!

Lou December 18, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Best smile ever!

jenna December 18, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Oooh; THANKS for the tip Heather! I think it should be available year round too. I had a sugar free peppermint mocha the other day and got hives in return. Another lesson that sugar is probably better for us than anything unnatural that we substitute for it – or that a little stevia in the purse will never be a bad idea.

HEAB December 19, 2011 at 11:33 am

Jenna,
Oh no – hives? So sorry. Yeah, if only Torani made their syrups with stevia. I’d buy them in bulk! ;)

Erica December 18, 2011 at 7:49 pm

You are too cute! Im a mistoaholic!

Bridget December 18, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Heather — good news (or possibly bad!), you CAN get a peppermint mocha at Starbucks year round. Even though it is only featured on the menu at xmas time, they carry the peppermint syrup and the mocha syrup all the time. I order iced peppermint mochas all the time in the summer — one to try!

HEAB December 19, 2011 at 11:34 am

Bridget,
Yes, but I don’t think they carry the sugar free mocha & peppermint syrups year-round which is what I always order, or maybe they do. I’ll inquire as an iced peppermint mocha sounds lovely. :)

Health Bee December 18, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Great idea! On the days when I don’t have time to get to the coffee shop, I add a couple drops of peppermint flavoring to some hot chocolate and coffee for a peppermint mocha substitute. :-)

HEAB December 19, 2011 at 11:35 am

Health Bee,
Sounds like a perfect (& much cheaper) substitute. Good thinkin’! :)

Pure2raw twins December 18, 2011 at 8:44 pm

love this picture of you!!

Sarah (I Dream of Beets) December 18, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Yes, this is what I need to spend my Starbucks gift cards on! I received at least 15 for teachers gifts! Super cute photo!

HEAB December 19, 2011 at 11:39 am

Sarah,
15 gift cards? Lots of peppermint mocha Mistos coming your way. I’m jealous. Enjoy! :)

chris December 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I love skinny sugar free vanilla mistos! My daughter is addicted to skinny peppermint mocha lattes!

Denise Billings December 18, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Wow! I really see Summer in this photo of you!

HEAB December 19, 2011 at 11:40 am

Denise,
Yeah, everyone has been saying she is looking more and more like me. I still see Chris in her though – she has her daddy’s eyes and amazing eye lashes. Hope you and Tom are doing well. Merry Christmas!

Jen N. December 18, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Yep, I’m one, too! I always order mine with 2 pumps, so I feel a little better about consuming all that sugar! Still super yum. Thanks for the $ saving tip. Will they do that with de-caf?

HEAB December 19, 2011 at 11:41 am

Jen,
Yes, but Starbucks (at least the ones around here) don’t brew decaf after 12-noon, and so I can only get decaf mistos in the morning. Kind of lame, but better than nothing.

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 18, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I’ve never tried one of these before…mostly because of the price! I’ve been wanting to make a homemade version though since so many bloggers are tempting me with visions of this delicious hot creamy beverage…

HEAB December 19, 2011 at 11:42 am

Jamie,
Another blogger told me she makes hers with Trader Joe’s candy cane green tea + cocoa powder + stevia + milk of choice. I plan to try it soon myself.

Jen December 18, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I’ve yet to have a peppermint mocha! Have you ever tried the extract (like vanilla extract?) That might work too. I usually add stevia and maple extract to my tea and coffees (sometimes with a little milk) – so good!

And – you actually look like CD in this photo! The eyes :)

Finally, just read your bagel post – I heart bagels and english muffins – but what kind do you buy? I thought you stayed away from wheat for some reason (which I think is way OVER-hyped in blogs and stuff at times – unless you have a diagnosis). Everything within reason right?

HEAB December 19, 2011 at 11:44 am

Jen,
I usually just buy the Thomas brand whole wheat bagels. I’m not a huge fan of wheat, but I’m a less of a fan of how expensive gluten free bagels are. So, I eat the wheat ones. They’re super good and much cheaper.

Jennie (the gf-gf) December 19, 2011 at 12:44 am

HEAB, you’re a genius! I’ll have to try that.

Also, Starbucks does indeed have peppermint mochas year round – they just won’t have the chocolate shavings on top :-)

HEAB December 19, 2011 at 11:45 am

Jennie,
I know, but I don’t think they offer the sugar free version year-round which is what I always order. I need to inquire or at least put in a request for them to carry the sugar free mocha and peppermint syrups year-round. Love them so, sucralose and all. ;)

Tara December 19, 2011 at 1:01 am

I’ve never had starbucks or coffee before and I don’t have a coffeemaker. Is it possible to make coffee without one and how so? I’ve heard coffee can be a good stimulant in the morning for uncooperative (ahem) bowels. Any thoughts?

I’ve been away and unable to read some of your posts and think your breakfast idea is wonderful. I was on a smoothie kick for a while, but I think smoothies are over-rated in my opinon. Unless they include a lot of granola and oats ;) I’ve heard the Udi’s bagels are nice? I usually pick up bagels from Dunkin Donuts!

HEAB December 19, 2011 at 11:49 am

Tara,
Never tried coffee, huh? Coffeemakers are pretty inexpensive – you can one for under $20 at Target or you could just use a French Press to make individual cups. Coffee does often help get things moving in the morning – I think it’s the caffeine. But I know others say a hot mug of water with lemon will do the same thing. Personally, I like my coffee with lots of cream and slightly sweetened. If you’ve never tried it before, I would recommend doctoring it up a bit. Black coffee is really bitter – I’m not a fan at all, but I love coffee with cream. Next time you’re at Dunkin Donuts, try a small cup of their coffee. It’s good. Never had the Udi’s bagels. I always look at them in the store, but they’re so pricey compared to other brands.

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco December 19, 2011 at 2:15 am

Amen. I wnat to save every single penny, especially at the ‘bucks, that I can. Thanks for the tip! ;)

Hannah December 19, 2011 at 4:30 am

In response to your reply to my comment in your last post…. I totally agree. I would never go to Starbucks for real coffee (Australia does far-too-awesome coffee for me to be able to stomach Starbucks in that regard; to be honest I’ve never even really found any coffee in America that compares, sorry!! :P ) but I go there for what I call “coffee candy”… things like this. Or, for me, a plain coffee frappuccinos that makes my heart sing. One day I’ll be there for these seasonal flavours…. AND IT WILL BE AMAZING.

HEAB December 19, 2011 at 11:50 am

Hannah,
Haha – coffee candy. That is so me. Love it. See you next Christmas then?

Hannah December 19, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Or perhaps even sooner…. ;)

HEAB December 19, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Yes please! :)

shannon j December 19, 2011 at 4:57 am

I too frequent starbucks. Here is my litle tip to save money. I got a gift card and registered it online. And, i constantly reload money on it. The perk? if u keep using your regestered card( it has to be registered) you accumulate points. Once you get enough points you start earning free things. I no longer have to pay for my upgrade in breve style- but it will also included freee soy milk. I also do not have to pay for syrup flavoring. I also think once u hit so many points u get a free drinkon your birthday and free coffee refills. once you earn 50points you are a gold member- which i am now!
hope this helps. oh.. does your sbux have the skinny peppermint mocha- less caloried and less sugar.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning December 19, 2011 at 10:29 am

Whoa- awesome! Thanks for sharing that tip! I’m on it!! (And I will be passing this word on to many of my friends!)

HEAB December 19, 2011 at 11:52 am

Shannon,
Yes yes yes!! So excited about this – another commenter mentioned registering the gift card. I so rarely go to Starbucks, that I didn’t know about this. Wish I would have known when the holiday cups first made their appearance! I always order the skinny mochas, and I so wish that Starbucks would carry the sugar free peppermint and mocha syrups year-round. I always do the sucralose thing when it comes to my coffee shop beverages. :)
Thanks again for the info!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning December 19, 2011 at 10:28 am

Brilliant! I do the same thing with lattes- I just ask them to fill it up halfway with coffee and half with milk. Not as strong as with espresso, but good enough for me!
And I never say “tall” or “grande”- just “small” or “medium.” They know what I mean.

HEAB December 19, 2011 at 11:53 am

Lauren,
Yeah, not a fan of the Starbucks lingo either. ;)

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City December 19, 2011 at 11:52 am

gosh i love starbucks. i allow myself to go get a latte about once every 2 week, usually on pay day when i’m feeling wealthy tee hee

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness December 19, 2011 at 12:17 pm

My wallet thanks you for this bit of news!!!

Christin@purplebirdblog December 19, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Thanks for the pro tip, friend! And thanks for your smiling face… good lord woman you are gorgeous! Happy Monday, sweet Heabie!

Alyssa December 19, 2011 at 12:37 pm

GREAT idea!
I’ll have to try a soy misto…

Laura @ She Eats Well December 19, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Amen, HEAB. Amen! LOVE mint anything, really.

Also, Starbucks. Please please offer almond milk or something as an alternative to soy :) . Peppermint almond milk misto…would be aahhhmazing.