I’m A Bread Eating Nerd

by HEAB on December 21, 2011

This is my go-to lunch as of late…

First, let’s talk about the bread.  It’s my mom’s homemade sourdough.  She’s famous for it among friends and family, and I am beyond excited that she got some more starter and is now making it again.  She brings over a fresh loaf every three days, and I can’t seem to get enough of it.  I usually load up one slice with pizza sauce and cheese and the other with crunchy peanut butter (has to be all natural crunchy PB, preferably the unsalted (red label) from Trader Joe’s).  I then broil both pieces until the cheese melts and afterwards add a spoonful of hot pepper raspberry preserves to the PB half.  Yum. Yum. Yum.

Here’s the nerdy part of the post.  Since we’ll be spending Christmas Day with family, CD, Summer, and I had our own little Christmas celebration last night.  These were two of my favorite gifts:

A label maker and Sharpies.  LOVE Sharpies.  Thanks CD!

I’m taking the next week off from the blog, and so I’ll see you guys in 2012.

Many blessings to you this Holiday Season!

P.S. The winner of Goddess Leonie’s Guidebook & Planner is Pamela C.B. Pamela, Congrats!  Expect an email from me soon.  If you didn’t win but would like to purchase a Guidebook of your own, you can do so here.

Rachel December 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Ummm… I am incredibly jealous of your label maker. I’ve already got the Sharpies and I will confirm that, yes, it is extremely necessary to have permanent markers in all those colors….

Have a very merry Christmas! :)

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Rachel,
Isn’t though? Thanks for understanding. :)

Ann Claire December 21, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I LOVE sourdough. I’ve always wanted to make some myself. I’m so jealous that your mom brings it to you regularly!
Merry Christmas!

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Merry Christmas to you as well Ann Claire. I’ll eat an extra slice of sourdough in your honor. :)

Abby December 21, 2011 at 5:32 pm

A woman after my own heart–bread, natural nut butter and office supplies. I’m a huge nerd because my gift this year is a new veggie/rice steamer. I use mine at least twice a day and I need a backup. Yes, I am ridiculously excited.

I am also ridiculously jealous of homemade sourdough bread.

Happy Holidays to you and yours, my friend!

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Thanks Abby. Happy Holidays to you as well, and I hope you enjoy your new rice/veggie steamer. I have a feeling you will. Nerds unite! :)

Jennifer December 21, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Merry Christmas Heather and family (immediate and extended) :)

I bet it will be an even more special Christmas for you and CD – getting to see it through Summer’s eyes for the first time since she was so little last year. Enjoy. :)

P.S. see if you can coax mama HEAB into sharing the sour dough recipe to go with the stew. :)

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Jennifer,
This is the same recipe my mom uses (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sourdough-bread-i/detail.aspx. ), but you have to either make the starter or get some from someone who has been feeding it and making the bread. My mom gets her’s from another baker. The bread itself is fairly easy to make, and my mom subs light olive oil for the corn oil. Works great.

Shelby December 21, 2011 at 5:43 pm

LOVE sourdough bread! It’s definitely one of my favorites :)

I see you’ve been eating those preserves a lot recently and was wondering if the sugar was doing anything negative (as in puffiness you’ve described from eating sugar before)? I’ve been trying to ditch the sugar but I crave little things like a spoonful of jam on oats or some chocolate that I don’t know if I can do it!

Laura December 21, 2011 at 11:42 pm

I really don’t think the odd spoonful of jam or square of chocolate is going to hurt you!

Admittedly, I really SHOULD kick the severe candy cane habit I’ve developed this month, but that’s probably a bit worse than fruit preserves! :)

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Shelby,
I have been eating a bit more sugar here and there, but I haven’t really noticed a huge effect. When I eat the preserves, it’s probably only a tsp or so at a time, and so not much at all. However, the frosted sugar cookies I’ve been eating…now that’s a whole other story. Hehe. But no, I have been enjoying a bit more of the white stuff around the Holidays, and I feel okay. Besides, I know I’ll get back into my non-sugar groove soon. Just trying to enjoy it in moderation, and it’s good. :)

katie @KatieDid December 21, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Hmmm I recognize that lunch ;) Possibly from your favorite breakfast post the other day hehe! Hey, when I find a combo I love, I stick to it too!
Merry Merry Christmas to you and your family Heather!

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Katie,
Haha, yes! Totally get addicted to food combos, and then I’ll move onto something else in a few weeks. For now, it’s lots of melted things on bread. Merry Christmas to you as well! :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 21, 2011 at 6:12 pm

See you in 2012…that still sounds far off even though it’s just over a week away. Merry Xmas and a very Happy New Year to you and your family! Hard to believe this is I think the third or fourth? Xmas we’ve known each other?! Where do the years go…

Anyway…the hot pepper raspberry preserves. I remember another time you mentioned those. YUM. That is so me, right there. I am addicted to TJ’s hot mango chutney and a mango jalepeno jelly, too. I need what you have.

Markers, crayons, paper, pens…just gave Skylar all that for Xmas and they are faves of mine, too!

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Averie,
You would freaking love those preserves. Try them, and then create some amazing cookies with them and mail me some. Just kidding…sort of. :)

Erica December 21, 2011 at 6:22 pm

mmmmmmm I’m so jealous of the homemade bread! Sounds just awesome!

Jennie (the gf-gf) December 21, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I don’t think that’s nerdy at all – in fact, I’m jealous! I love sharpies :-)

Have a very merry Christmas!

Heather @ Bake, Run, Live December 21, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Making sourdough with a starter is on my to-do list for 2012! A label maker- oh the damage I could do with that!
Happy Holidays Heather! Wishing you, CD, and Summer a safe, and fun New Year!!

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Same to you Heather, and I hope you enjoy your sourdough making adventures. I want to learn more about the whole process myself. Would love to experiment making it with different flours…but it’s just so much easier when your mom shows up at your door with it. ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) December 21, 2011 at 7:17 pm

My mom used to make a cinnamon sourdough bread when I was a kid and I would just melt into it…unbelivable!

You and Tony with the label maker…he wants one so badly! Also, a heads up, we were at the store today (Tony and I) I picked up a different brand of the grass fed butter and Tony said, “Um, no…get the Kerrygold”…look at what you’ve done. You’ve created a monster.

I hope you’re enjoying the holidays Heather!

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Sarena, someday our families will meet b/c I think we would be the best of friends. Just make sure you bring some of that caramel bacon popcorn, and I’ll bring my label maker for Tony to play with. ;)
Merry Christmas!

Christin@purplebirdblog December 21, 2011 at 7:27 pm

You are my favorite nerd. Sourdough, so good. Label maker, hell yes. SHARPIES, my love for them runs deeeeep. I have a ton, also in a bazillion rainbow colors. Have the happiest Christmas, my sweet friend. <3

Terri December 21, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Yum. My lunch is far bigger than that, but I tend to overeat…everything.

I love bread. I have it often at every single meal; and I have it at snacks. I tend to eat an enormous bedtime snack that will include bread and breadstuffs always. I need to get some sourdough, it sounds great.

Also Heather, I’m a bit of a chocoholic – as in it I eat it every. single. day. I think I need a big bright label on me saying ” eats any kind of chocolate – send help: or more chocolate”.

Jen December 21, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Wait – Carrie? Samantha?!

Terri December 22, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Huh?

Is it that absurd and shameful to eat milk chocolate and bread in large quantities? I really don’t need a stranger making me feel guilty :(

Alyssa December 21, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Label makers rock!!!!!
Living in San Francisco, I appreciate a good sourdough. :) That looks yummy!

liz dean December 21, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I’m so jealous…I would kill for a label maker!!

As for the sharpies…I LOVE SHARPIES!!!! :) I have them in my purse, every drawer, car, desk, everywhere! And the Sharpie pens are my favorite…they are the only pens I use now, and totally saved me in culinary school…my recipe cards would get totally splattered/wet/nasty…and the writing would still be perfect. :)

Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas! xoxo

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Liz,
We are soul sisters for sure! Love my Sharpies and use them more than regular pens. :)

liz December 23, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Soul Sisters without a doubt. And while going to get a link for my fave pen to show you (because I am a total dork), I discovered that Sharpie has invented the Sharpie Liquid PENCIL. I am now more in love than I was before…and it’s a #2. **Loving Sigh** :)

So…here’s my fave pen:

And here’s what I’ve decided to stuff my stocking with:

Debra December 21, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Merry Christmas! I hope 2012 is the BEST, starting with the happiest New Year’s Eve you’ve ever had!

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Thanks Debra. Same to you. :)

Chris December 21, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Heather, I use to serve the Rothschild hot pepper raspberry preserves with brie or goat cheese, delish! Also, would your mom be willing to share her sour dough bread recipe, I love baking bread and would love a tried and true sour dough recipe?!? Thanks.

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Chris, love those preserves, and yes, they go amazing with goat cheese. I made an omelet with that combo once. YUM! As far as the sourdough goes, this is the same recipe my mom uses (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sourdough-bread-i/detail.aspx. ), but you have to either make the starter or get some from someone who has been feeding it and making the bread. My mom gets her’s from another baker. The bread itself is fairly easy to make, and my mom subs light olive oil for the corn oil. Works great.

Maria @ Maria Makes Muffins December 21, 2011 at 10:09 pm

We love bread for lunch around here as well. Matthew, my 18 month old son, ate a slice of brown rice + raisin bread with almond butter for both lunch and dinner. :)

Have a very Merry Christmas!

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Maria,
Matthew and I would get along great. Once I find a combo I love, I’ll eat it at every meal. :) Merry Christmas to you as well!

Katie December 21, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Good for you for taking the rest of the year off!

Let’s not get me started on my office supply addiction. At work, they only have blue, black and red pens, and I refuse to grade my students papers in red, and I will absolutely NOT touch a blue pen with a 10 foot pole. So that leaves me with black. Not good for grading, so I had the office order me a special pack. They probably mock me still, but I have cool pens, so I win.

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Katie,
I love that you refuse to grade papers in red ink. :)

Lorne December 22, 2011 at 2:24 am

Labelling – I love it!

God’s blessings to you, CD and Summer. I hope this festive season is full of wondering memories for you all.
As I write this Minu is snoring on the floor at my feet, it has been a hard day visiting with present bringers and giving away kisses in return. Oh the life of a precious wee toddler!

Lorne

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well Lorne. Give Minu a squeeze from me and Summer! :)

Monica December 22, 2011 at 4:24 am

A sourdough cooking Mom is the best! My Mom has been starter less for over a year and I have been begging her to get a batch going! Hopefully soon.

And a label maker and sharpies?!? Throw in a paper shredder and call it gift perfection. ;)

Happy holidays to the HEAB family!

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Monica,
Haha – love it. Office supply loving nerds unite! Hope little Wrigley is doing well and enjoying his first Holiday season. Merry Christmas!

Hannah December 22, 2011 at 4:58 am

Merry Christmas and Happy new Year, my darling friend!

Now, I have to sound like a complete fool, but… what do you use Sharpies for?

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Hannah,
Merry Christmas to you as well, and the question is what DON’T you use Sharpies for? Love my Sharpies and use them more than regular pens b/c I’m always decorating cards, envelopes, and crafts. They’re permanent and will write on anything. The best, and you totally need them in every color of the rainbow. That’s in the Bible you know. ;)

Hannah December 23, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I bow to your superior Bible wisdom. Note to self: buy Sharpies. :D

Rose December 22, 2011 at 10:19 am

CD knows the way to your organizational heart. Have a wonderful holiday with your family, Mrs. HEAB.

Samantha December 22, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Sharpies are great! I have a coharu label maker, so much fun! Merry Christmas, enjoy your holidays with your family!

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Same to you Sam! :)

Doris December 23, 2011 at 2:28 am

Merry XMAS HEAB, to you and your wonderful family!!! All the best in the New Year. Best Greetings from Austria
- Doris :)

HEAB December 23, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Doris,
Merry Christmas to you as well. :)