What I Do At Home All Day

by HEAB on January 4, 2012

First off, thank you for all the birthday wishes.  It made my whole day reading through all your comments!

These days, my life revolves around playtime, nap time, and our trips to the library for story time.  When Summer is awake, I really try to be completely present for her, but when she’s asleep, I like to do grown-up things. :)

Here’s what I did today during nap time…

I baked…

Using XO Baking Co.’s gluten free chocolate chip cookie baking mix, I made cookie bars (baked at 350°F for 30 minutes).  I packed some to take to my mom and brother, and CD and I got the rest.  At first bite, they tasted a little off – when it comes to chocolate chip cookies, I’m used the Nestle Toll House homemade version.  However, after the 2nd bite, I decided they were quite tasty.

After Summer woke up, we drove over to Nonna’s house to deliver her cookies, and my mom gave me bread baking lessons.  She’s teaching me how to make her homemade sourdough, and I’ll share the recipe soon…if I manage to keep the starter alive.

Tonight after Summer was all tucked in, I finished a product I started earlier in the day…

Homemade thank you cards.  I tried letting Summer help me make them, but she wasn’t so into it.  So, I had to finish them up after she went to bed.

There you have it, what I do while my baby sleeps.  Oh, in I did get in three loads of laundry as well, but no vacuuming.  I really need one of those vacuuming robot thingies!

Lara January 4, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I love the cards! Is that a stamp you use for the wording, or is your handwriting just really consistent? ;)

I saw your baking photos on Instagram and got the urge to bake, too. I just pulled out a few trays of classic oatmeal cookies :)

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:24 am

Lara,
Definitely used a stamp for “Thank You”. Got it at Michael’s and use it all the time. Hope your oatmeal cookies tasted yummy. I’m sure they did. :)

Katie January 4, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Ahhh, naptime! Such a productive time of day. :-) And I love your thank you cards!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 4, 2012 at 10:27 pm

The cards are awesome and in all your spare time you’re handpainting cards? Ok pretty soon you will be churning your own butter and spinning your own yarn…right after that soudough bread gets made. Amazing work, mama!

And yes, as a mom, life revolves around when the child is doing something else or sleeping, that’s when we get everything ELSE done that we have to do :)

Ashley January 4, 2012 at 10:31 pm

OH my word!!! Those cards are completely amazing!! Love them. :) Happy belated birthday!! Can I be on your cookie delivery run next time?

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:25 am

Thanks Ashley, and yes, you’ll definitely be included in my next cookie delivery run! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 4, 2012 at 10:34 pm

You are such a great mom! I miss my guys being little. I love how they are now, but I miss them during the day. Life is just not the same when they’re gone all day. Love the cards! Really cute!

liz dean January 4, 2012 at 10:34 pm

LOVE the cards!!!

And so you don’t feel bad…while Gabby has been home the last couple weeks on break, SHE is the one who had gotten to do the laundry and vacuuming (I love having a teenager). BUT… lol…she went back to school today, now I have no one to do my chores for me. ;)
Remind me to send you my recipe for Roe Cookies…so yummy, taste like Toll House, but are GF & vegan!

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:26 am

Liz,
I would love your recipe and truth be told, I can’t wait until Summer can push the vacuum. :)

Liz @ iheartvegetables January 4, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Those cookie bars look amazing!!!! And your days with Summer sound wonderful :)

Lou January 4, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Oh I love the owl cards, too cute! Love owls.

It’s funny, Misty has this habit of ditching me when I try to play with him… he just runs away with his toy to another spot or room. The only time he follows me is if I have the vacuum cleaner, but he tries to steal it away from me. Crazy kids. Boys are totally a different breed.

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:27 am

Lou,
Really? Too funny. Summer hates the vacuum as well as the broom. She’s scared of them – just like our dogs. In other words, our floors are always filthy! ;)

Katie January 4, 2012 at 11:29 pm

You are more productive than I am and I don’t have a toddler!

I read that as “I didn’t get done any vomiting” I was confused for about a minute why that was a bad thing. :) Time for bed.

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:27 am

Katie, Haha, hope you got some good sleep. :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) January 4, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Those cards are gorgeous! You are very talented. And in between mothering no less. Nice! :)

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:27 am

Thanks Jenn. Love your new photo. :)

Penny @ Big Spoon, Little Spoon January 5, 2012 at 12:00 am

Heather, Ive been a reader for a long time, but this is my first comment which I HAD to write because….iRobots are the best! We call ours Giles. He’s very cute and we like to think of him as being a British butler sort. Weirdness of giving a machine a name/persona notwithstanding, he does a pretty good job considering the mess I make in the kitchen!

Happy Birthday!

P.S. Am Aussie and love that you love vegemite!

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:29 am

Penny,
Yes, love me some Vegemite, and with two hairy dogs, I really do want an iRobot. Good to know they work, and if we get one, I’ll be sure to give him a British butler sounding name. Harvey maybe? ;)

Tangy January 5, 2012 at 12:10 am

I <3 baking. I'm always a little sad to give all my goodies away but I know it's for the best ;)

I'm not sure about you, but I think when I'm home all day with the kids, I am busier than I ever was at work!

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:29 am

Tangy, tell me about it. I go go go – never seems to be enough time to fit it all in, and nap time goes by way too fast!

Laura @ She Eats Well January 5, 2012 at 12:11 am

Those cards are so beautiful! I think homemade goods, like those cards, are so rare now in our time.

Also, re: sourdough. My roommate is in Pastry School and for the past like, 2 weeks, we’ve had a sourdough starter in our fridge. She takes it out occasionally and removes/stirs/adds to it. I had NO idea sourdough took so much work. Must be why it tastes so delish!

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:30 am

Laura,
Yes, it involves some work, but the end result is so worth it. Lucky you – a roommate in pastry school. :)

STUFT mama January 5, 2012 at 1:22 am

You are one productive lady during nap time. I’m so impressed. Just wait until Summer gets a little older and you really will have to be in the moment because she’ll be getting into everything. Ha! And those cards are amazing! who needs vacuuming with amazing cards like that ( and clean clothes). :)

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:31 am

Stuft,
Agreed. Our floors are filthy. :)

Hannah January 5, 2012 at 4:18 am

My mum was always a little bit draconian with making my brother and I write home-made cards and thank-you letters to our friends all over the globe, and whole at times it felt like a chore, I’m so glad she instilled those values in us. Receiving a thoughtful card like this is so, so much lovelier than an email. Bravo, dear Heather!

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:32 am

Hannah,
Good mum. The cards I made are actually thank you notes from Summer. For now, I write them, but some day I will turn them over to her. I think it’s so important to teach kids to acknowledge kindness, and yes, definitely better than just an email. I’m so scared that letter/card writing is becoming a lost art. :(

Hannah January 5, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Not as long as people like us keep it up! :)

Erika - The Teenage Taste January 5, 2012 at 6:54 am

Glad you’ve been keeping busy, Heather! Those homemade thank you cards are BEYOND cute! Do you write/draw everything by hand or use a stamp? Everything looks so perfect! :-)

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:33 am

Thanks Erika. I used a stamp for the “Thank You” (got it at Michael’s), and then I drew the rest of the card, and used watercolors and colored pencils to color them. :)

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 5, 2012 at 7:04 am

So jealous you get to bake when you’re at home! I loved doing that when I could work from home.

Erica January 5, 2012 at 7:35 am

I so hear you on the being present! Its easy to get distracted. I feel like I’m constantly on a balancing it all see saw….Anyways. The baking all looks SO yummy! And I think you are super crafty.

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:35 am

Erica,
Yes, it’s such a challenge, but I’m getting better. When Summer was younger, it was easy to get other stuff done because she basically just sat there, but now she warrants my full attention. It’s so fun playing with her, but I really have to focus or else I’m thinking about my to-do list/peeking at emails on my phone, etc.

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free January 5, 2012 at 7:48 am

Those thank-you cards are so darn adorable!!!! Much better than mine. I love owls, and your are super cute. I made some “cloth” owls to give to my little cousins this year….

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:36 am

Thanks Alex, and I love the idea of cloth owls. What a great and thoughtful gift. I bet your cousins loved them!

LEna January 5, 2012 at 7:57 am

HAppy Belated Birthday! Am glad you have a great day! :)
I wanted to comment but i was a little late and the comments for your post was closed….

Those cards are lovely, are they for sale someday? :)

BTw, Summer’s growing up real fast! :)

Have a Great day ahead!

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:36 am

Thanks so much Lena, and no, no plans to sell the cards. Just making them for Summer to send out for some of her Christmas gifts she received. Hope you’re enjoying your New Year thus far! :)

LEna January 6, 2012 at 4:27 am

I am looking forward to a brand new start, a fresh take on things this year, hopefully it will go well.

I hope you have a fantastic and exciting year ahead, plenty of blessings and all good things to come for you, CD and Summer! :)

Meagan January 5, 2012 at 8:15 am

Hi Heather! Did I miss something or did I incorrectly think that you used to avoid gluten?

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:38 am

Hi Meagan,
I like to avoid gluten and wheat, but sometimes, I really like to eat it. I’m not gluten intolerant or anything, just like experimenting with gluten free baking. CD isn’t a big fan of wheat, and we don’t feed it to Summer due to some skin issues (eczema). So gluten free recipes are popular around our house. :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 5, 2012 at 8:49 am

Wow- those cards are impressive!
And that reminds me- I’ve got to get my Christmas thank-you’s out. I still write thank you’s (my mama raised me right) but have to say- I never get any- except from my mom. :)

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:39 am

Lauren,
Keep it up. Your mama was a wise soul, and like her, I really hope to teach Summer the importance of acknowledging kindness from others. :)

Jonna January 5, 2012 at 9:31 am

Hi Heather,

Hope all is well. Just had to comment on your Mom’s sourdough…my neighbor gave me a starter over a year ago for one called “Sweet Colorado Sourdough” and I’ve kept it going since. She’s had the starter for over 30+ years! It’s really easy to do and I typicallyl make 4 loaves every time (2 starters). I’ve started to make 2 of the 4 with a cinnamon swirl (by rolling out that dough, putting 1T butter and cinnamon/sugar combo, you can also add raisins, but my kids like it with just the butter/cinnamon/sugar combo). The bread itself is not overly sweet, but it’s not your typically sourdough. It’s got a great denseness to it without being overly heavy. I’ve don’t french toast with it and even grilled cheese/bacon. It freezes/defrosts great. You will love it!!!!

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:40 am

Jonna, thanks so much for the encouragement, and I love the idea of the cinnamon swirl bread. So trying that with my next batch. Cannot believe your neighbor has had the same starter for 30 years. I bet she could make that bread in her sleep! :)

Pure2raw twins January 5, 2012 at 9:37 am

bars looks delicious!! and absolutely love those thank you cards too cute!
and good luck with the bread making, I have heard making ‘true’ sourdough is stuff but so worth it in the end :) I know yours will turn out great!

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 10:41 am

Thanks Pure2Raw. The bread definitely requires a little work, but yes, the end result is so worth it! :)

Christin@purplebirdblog January 5, 2012 at 11:50 am

Oh my goodness, those cards are the cutest ever!!! You are so talented, Heather! Alex and I were just remarking on how we need a Roomba soooo bad… the dog hair is unconquerable! Also, I definitely want to hear more about this sourdough journey.

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Christin, ugh, trust me, I get it and have given up. There is hair everywhere – I can only swiffer/vacuum so much, you know? Bring on the Roomba!

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City January 5, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I LOVE the little owl on those cards. so creative :)
also, you’re making my new years juice cleanse very challenging with your baking pics!

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Hehe, sorry Caitlin. ;)

lindsay January 5, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Sounds lovely and full of purpose. You are so creative both in the kitchen and with crafts. the perfect mom gift!

Alyssa January 5, 2012 at 1:14 pm

You’re amazing! My kids’ baby/toddler days are a big blur. I remember libraries and parks, vaguely. That’s about it.
Oh wait: I remember putting a load of laundry in and getting locked out of the house (the machines were in the garage). Hubby was out of town, the kids were inside, and I’d just taken a shower, so I got to stand outside in my robe while firefighters broke into the house for me.
Ah, memories…

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Alyssa,
Haha, sounds like something I would do. Feel like such a space cadet these days! Thanks for the laugh. :)

Angie @ Sweet Natured Treats January 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Those cards are so cute! I’ll have to look into XO’s baking mixes. I just made gluten free chocolate chip cookies with King Arthur Multi-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour, and they turned out awesome.

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Angie,
I love King Arthur products but have never tried their GF flour. Good to know it works well. Thanks!

Maria @ Maria Makes Muffins January 5, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Happy Belated Birthday! It sounds like you had a great day.

Kilee January 5, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Happy Belated Birthday! I hope that you had an extra special day. I wanted to let you know that I bought Leonna’s Goddess Book and have loved every minute of writing out my hopes and dreams for the year to come. Thank you for featuring it.
Take care,
Kilee

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Kilee,
Thank you and so happy to hear it. I love Leonie. Such a wise soul and sweet spirit. :)

tracey January 5, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Happy Belated Birthday!!!! I love the owl cards- I am doing an owl theme for Evelyn’s birthday (which is tomorrow, but the party isn’t til next week). I was hoping you could direct me back to the cake recipe you used for Summer’s cake!!! Thanks!!!

HEAB January 5, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Thanks Tracey, and Happy (early) Birthday to Evelyn. For Summer’s cupcakes, I used this recipe: http://www.thenondairyqueen.com/2011/09/gluten-free-individual-lemon-pound.html, and for the frosting, I used this vanilla bean cream cheese frosting recipe: http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2011/02/chocolate-coconut-rum-cupcakes-and.html. The cupcakes were a huge hit! Oh, and for the cupcakes, I used real butter, but subbed gelled flax for the eggs.

Rebecca January 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I love your cards, they’re so cute! Baking and artsy stuff sounds like the perfect day at home!

Cherie January 5, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I love those homemade cards!!! You’re so talented!

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple January 5, 2012 at 9:39 pm

those cards are gorgeous!!

The roomba is pretty awesome. We’ve got one. It got replaced by our cleaning lady. Our neighbor has 3 girls and 2 dogs and uses hers constantly.

Anita January 5, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Happiest Birthday Heather ! May this year bring all your dreams to fruition. Thanks for everything you do for us. Be well.

HEAB January 6, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Thanks so much Anita!

natalie January 6, 2012 at 7:27 am

wait a minute, where is the “watched soaps with my feet on the couch” part? isn’t that what sahm do?? haha. You’re so talented Heather! the cards look amazing as do the baked goods.

HEAB January 6, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Natalie,
Haha, I was just joking with a friend that no one watches soap operas anymore. They’ve been replaced by the Internet. Seriously, what did SAHMs do before the Web. Oh right, they watched Days of Our Lives. ;)