Christmas Foodie Finds

by HEAB on January 8, 2012

While in Arizona, Alice, my mother-in-law, gave us some really cool locally made foodie gifts for Christmas.  Since our suitcases were packed to the brim, Alice was kind enough to ship our Christmas gifts back  to Nashville.  They arrived last night, and I can’t wait to try them.

From the Tucson Farmer’s market, CD received a jar of Bacon Jam.

Check out the ingredients: Bacon, maple syrup, sugar, coffee, onions, garlic, and spices.  Intriguing, no?  Can’t wait to try it on some homemade sourdough!

Also from the farmer’s market, these Hiker Biker Bars.

Can’t beat the ingredients, and I love the flavor combinations.

Next up, Mexican drinking chocolate sticks from XOCOATL.

Each stick contains cacao, cane sugar, cinnamon, almonds, and spices. To prepare the drinking chocolate, you simply melt one stick in a cup of milk.  I’m most excited about this one!

And last but not least, we got some Justin’s almond butter.  Justin’s isn’t local to Arizona (made in Colorado), but you can never go wrong when giving me Justin’s. Thanks again Alice!

Have you ever tried any of the above foods?

robyn jones clark January 8, 2012 at 3:36 pm

bacon jam and coffee sticks? sign me up!! :)

Tabitha January 8, 2012 at 3:47 pm

OK, I am completely intrigued by bacon jam – report back soon!

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:40 am

Tabitha,
Reported in today’s post. Amazing!

Marisa @ Mind Over Booty January 8, 2012 at 3:50 pm

This post makes me homesick for the Tucson Farmer’s Markets! I grew up there and have yet to experience such a unique market. Lots of venders with unique cool handmade products.

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:39 am

Marisa,
My MIL lives in Scottsdale, but drives down to Tucson for the farmer’s market. She told me it’s her favorite, and I hope to go some time when we’re out there.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 8, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Your mother-in-law is an amazing shopper! All of those foods sound wonderful- the only thing I’ve had are the Justin’s Nut Butters (pretty sure I’ve tried every flavor :) ). The hiker/biker bars look awesome- just from the rustic packaging! I’m a total sucker for packaging and logos- it’s the graphic design nerd in me.

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:38 am

Lauren,
I agree – I love the packaging of the Hiker Biker bars. Really eye catching.

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon January 8, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Hiker biker bars? Love the name!!
I’ve never tried justin’s nut butters before but I’ve been wanting to for a while! They are always there at the register just asking to be slipped in with my groceries. One of these days…

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:38 am

Jamie,
Do it, and make sure try the chocolate almond butter. So good and definitely my favorite!

Lou January 8, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Man, all of those look awesome… even the bacon jam! Well, the idea of it, at least – might have to try making some of that for Viper. Those little biker bars look just like my kinda thing, as do the hot chocolate sticks – what great pressies! Love foodie finds :)

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:37 am

Lou,
Oh my gosh, you must make the bacon jam for Viper. I linked to the following recipe in today’s post, which is very similar to the jam we received (minus the whiskey). I think Viper would love it as I know want to eat it IN and ON everything! http://foodpluswords.com/2011/06/bacon-jam/

tea-bag January 8, 2012 at 4:52 pm

is it just me or do thumbprint cookies filled with bacon jam sound rather intriguing? :)

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:36 am

Tea-bag, no, it’s not just you. Bacon jam filled thumbprint cookies sound amazing. I tried the jam this morning, and now I want to eat it in and on everything!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 8, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I’d be most excited about the Mexican drinking chocolate sticks. That sounds awesome!

Great foodie finds and I like that you’re doing your Xmas goodies wrapup, NOW. It’s like I get to re-live the holidays over again.

I hope you guys had an awesome time in AZ, as I’m sure you did!

Liz January 8, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I love Justin’s Chocolate Almond Butter and eat it on Wheatabix for breakfast almost every morning. I’ve never heard of the hiker/biker bars but they sure sound good!

Erica January 8, 2012 at 5:39 pm

LOVEEEEEEEEEE Justin’s! I saw an interview with him too- such a cool, down to earth dude. I want to try those Mexican drinking chocolate sticks- yum! Your MIL rocks

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:35 am

Erica,
I hear only good things about Justin. Sounds like a cool guy and a very cool company. I think I need to move for Boulder and work for them! ;)

Jen {The Wholehearted Life} January 8, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Nice haul! I adore bacon jam and like making it myself with pretty much the same ingredients….perfect on top of a fried egg sandwich, lol!

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:34 am

Jen,
You were so right. The bacon jam + egg combo = happiness. :)

Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 8, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Handmade foodie things are the best! :D I don’t know any of those above, but chocolate on a stick to put into hot milk or water are high fashion over here as well and come in many different flavors already. The bacon jam sounds intriguing in an eerie way. :)

Ana January 8, 2012 at 6:10 pm

The Mexican drinking chocolate sticks sound awesome! Let us know how it is Heather, I would love to try that sometime!
The hiker bars also sound delicious, and Justin’s nut butter… there is no wrong way with that, I love it too!
What an awesome box of goodies you got, I wish my family got me like yours do! (my parents simply don’t get my love for good healthy food… they don’t even try to)

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:33 am

Ana,
Most of my family doesn’t get my way of eating either – just a select few. ;)

katie @KatieDid January 8, 2012 at 6:42 pm

My cousin actually got me bacon spread for christmas because she knows how much i love bacon. It has quite a smokey flavor, its pretty good on eggs but I haven’t figured out how else to use it just yet. I’m thinking stirring it into soups and chili would be good, and maybe stir frying veggies in it too.

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:32 am

Katie, I ate some of the jam this morning in a toasted wrap with egg and cheese. Oh my goodness, so good, and I think it would be amazing in a veggie stir-fry or on a grilled cheese sandwich!

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad January 8, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I had something similar to the chocolate sticks at the chocolate museum in Paris – holy yum! It had a bit of chili in it too.

Mmm… Bacon jam :) :):) Never had it but would love to try.

Kim January 8, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Fred or I have tried all the above. Love!

Sarah (I Dream of Beets) January 8, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I love Justin’s nut butters, especially his new vanilla flavor. If I’m feeling particularly spendy, I get it to mix into my oatmeal. Otherwise, I just hope the local Whole Foods is sampling it:) I live right outside of Boulder, so the nut butters are often the samples. The bacon spread looks AWESOME.

Happy New Year!

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:31 am

Sarah,
Why did I know Justin’s is now making vanilla nut butters?!? Oh my gosh, can’t wait to try them as I LOVE Naturally Nutty’s vanilla almond butter. Jealous of your sample availability. ;)

Fallon January 8, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Bacon jam!!! I tried this in Georgia, it was so amazing!

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:30 am

Fallon, agreed. Just tried it this morning. So good!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 8, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Justins is awesome! I haven’t tried the others though. Looks like you loaded up on some goodies!

So, will you be around February 25th? Looks like we may be coming to Nashville. If you have a few minutes, I would love to catch up over a cup of joe!

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:29 am

Sarena,
Marking your visit down in my calendar right now, and I wish I could say that I would give you some of the bacon jam for Tony to try, but it’s never going to last that long. Oh my gosh, so good. He would love it!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats January 8, 2012 at 10:09 pm

That bacon jam sounds jammin! I hate to say it but… I have never tried Justin’s nut butters! I want to so badly but as a college student its hard to bite the bullet and spend almost 10 bucks on it!

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:28 am

Kerry,
Instead of buying an entire jar, just buy an individual packet, and make sure it’s the chocolate almond butter. My favorite. ;)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood January 8, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Oh my, the Mexican chocolate drinking sticks look the most intriguing to me too! I looked at the first picture and I cocked my head and said, Are those twigs? Why would you receive twigs? ;) And of course that bacon jam looks jammin’ as well <3

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:28 am

Sylvia,
Nothing wrong with receiving twigs, as long of they’re made of chocolate, I’ll take ‘em! ;)

Katie January 8, 2012 at 11:58 pm

I just posted about bacon jam last week! I pinned a recipe for it – same ingredients as this one, but with molasses in addition to the other stuff. Can’t wait to hear what you think!

Em (Wine and Butter) January 9, 2012 at 1:57 am

Beautiful Heaby,

Happy Christmas, New Year and Bday! Im so sorry Im so late for all of them. In Cali at the moment… soaking up time with my mama but also getting some nasty flu thats left me a mega zombie the past few weeks. BUT I meant to wish you big time Xmas wishes and much happiness for the NY!

LOTS of love, Emmy. xox

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:27 am

No worries Em. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well. Hope you’re feeling better and that you get to enjoy some of that California sunshine!

Hannah January 9, 2012 at 5:08 am

Oooh, those chocolate sticks look amazing! I’ve seen recipes for Bacon Jam on blogs but never in stores. Will look forward to hearing about that one :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free January 9, 2012 at 8:03 am

SCORE!!! They all look like so much fun! I can’t wait to hear about your reactions to them.

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 9, 2012 at 8:57 am

They all look great!

Olivia January 9, 2012 at 10:05 am

I just went to the Hiker Biker Bar website and they are adorable! They sound delicious, too! Like everyone else, I think I am most intrigued by the bacon jam. Have you ever tried those chocolate bars with the bacon in/on them? I have always been curious about them as well. And you MUST share about the Mexican chocolate sticks!

Ok, all this food talk is making me hungry. Off to breakfast!

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:26 am

Olivia,
I have tried the Vosges bar with the bacon, and as much as I love a good savory/sweet combo, I wasn’t a huge fan. However, I did try the bacon jam this morning, and I loved it! No milk chocolate required. ;)

nicole January 9, 2012 at 11:09 am

I’ve never tried any of the local items but I can’t to hear about those chocolate sticks!!

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City January 9, 2012 at 12:52 pm

wow Mexican drinking chocolate sticks sounds amazing! i can’t wait to hear what the result is like!

Christin@purplebirdblog January 9, 2012 at 3:05 pm

You know I can’t wait to hear about the bacon jam! Happy Monday, gorgeous! :)

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:24 am

Christin,
It’s my new favorite condiment. You must try it – I know you would love.

Sara, Food Blogger on a Diet / Ms. Adventures in Italy January 9, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I definitely love Justin’s – those little packs mean I can finally travel with some peanut butter :)

Would love to hear more about the Hiker Biker bars – I’m always looking for healthy snacks to take with me on the move.

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:23 am

Sara,
The Hiker Biker bars are good – they surprised me b/c they are crisp, and I was expecting something more like a Larabar for some reason.

Rachel @ I'm Loving Today January 9, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Oh my gosh, I want to try EVERYTHING you’ve posted here! Especially that bacon jam… I can’t believe something so amazing actually exists.

I love Justin’s almond butter – my favorite almond butter! I love the individual packets, too – perfect for squeezing out on apple slices!

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:22 am

Rachel, it does, and you must try it. It’s amazing!

Stephanie @ Ultra Ambitious January 9, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I tried Justin’s Maple Almond Butter for the first time after hearing so many great things about the brand, but I was a tad bit disappointed. I only tasted a tiny hint of maple, but I was expecting a bit more. I’m wondering if perhaps that’s not the best flavor to try?

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:22 am

Stephanie,
Try the chocolate almond butter. Definitely my favorite!

The Delicate Place January 9, 2012 at 6:35 pm

i love sweet/savory preserves! obviously have had justins which i love because their butters aren’t too sweet :) i’ve had mexican hot choc with tons of chili now i can hardly eat chocolate without a kick!

Alyssa January 9, 2012 at 6:48 pm

It all looks so yummy!
I’ve only tried Justin’s nut butters. Let us know how it all is!

Felicia January 9, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Bacon jam + banana + almond butter on bread! the HEAB version of elvis’ sandwich ;)

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:21 am

Felicia,
Good thinking. Adding it to my “must try with bacon jam” list. :)

Erica January 9, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Ooohhh I bet the bacon jam would be super yummy spread on top of brie chesse and baked until melted!

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:21 am

Erica,
Um yeah, it would. :)

Tangy January 9, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I have not tried any of the above, Justin’s included. I think if I had those little individual packets, I’d save myself from washing a couple spoons a day ;) Sometimes a little spoonful of almond butter just hits the spot! The bacon jam sounds interesting, but I’d have to pass unless it was onion-free!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco January 9, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I love delicious mom and pop food! It’s like what your eating has a story. Does that make any sense?

Well anyway, everything looks AMAZING and thank you so much for sharing!

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:20 am

Kelly,
Makes total sense. I love local homemade goods – they’re made with so much love. :)

Stephanie January 10, 2012 at 12:25 am

But is it really a *jam* after all that? I read those ingredients and, while all are delicious on their own… together they sorta sound like composting. :D I’m sure it’s WAY BETTER than that, but… I think I need to see it in HEAB action to believe it. :D

HEAB January 10, 2012 at 11:19 am

Stephanie,
The jam is way better than compost. Just ate some this morning. So good in fact, that I could eat it by the spoonful. ;)