Crafts and Condiments

by HEAB on January 10, 2012

CD is away on a business trip, and Summer and I are really missing him.  Makes me grateful he doesn’t have to travel for work very often.  Anyway, we’ve been trying to keep ourselves busy until his return.

Our latest craft project has taken over the dining room table.

In-between wrapping yarn and getting hot glue everywhere, I did manage to try the bacon jam from we received for Christmas.

OK, bacon jam is my new favorite condiment. I want to eat it on EVERYTHING!  The above was this morning’s breakfast, a tortilla filled with one scrambled egg, cheddar, and bacon jam, toasted.  Wow.  The jam is tangy and sweet with a savory kick, and if you can’t find bacon jam in your area, Katie recently pinned this recipe which contains the same ingredients as our jam (minus the whiskey).  Go ahead, make it.  I dare ya.

Time to jump in the shower before nap time ends, but if you missed it, please check out my guest post about my motherhood surprises over at The Fitnessista and many congrats to Gina and the Pilot on the birth of their beautiful baby girl. So happy for you guys! :)

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life January 10, 2012 at 11:21 am

Bacon jam? Wow that sounds good! I eat breakfast sandwiches almost every morning and think that would be a great little extra on the sandwich!!!

I read your post yesterday and thought it was great! Being a mom is such a special experience but like you said, you can’t plan everything out especially when it comes to giving birth!

katie January 10, 2012 at 11:31 am

Hi HEAB!

I wanted to pop by and say hello! After seeing your beautiful guest post yesterday, it made me think of you and I wanted to pop by!

Summer is getting so big, and she is adorable! Glad you and the family are well!

HEAB January 11, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Hi Katie,
Thank so much – hope all is well with you too! :)

Jen {The Wholehearted Life} January 10, 2012 at 11:32 am

Right?!?!?! Isn’t it delicious!!!! I love eating it straight from the jar /grin.

HEAB January 11, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Jenn,
YESSSS! Oh my gosh, I did the straight up thing too. Cannot keep the spoon out of that jar!

Cameron January 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I had two tortilla wraps at lunch too: one with cheddar cheese, egg, and raspberry jam; the other with hummus, avocado and dipped in a big bowl of yogurt. I love bathing the tortilla wraps in olive oil first.

I have been enjoying The Fitnessista’s posts (her weekend announcement was so great). She’s a great blogger with her 2-egg-ritos wraps :)

HEAB January 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Cameron,
I love Gina too – such a sweet girl and so intelligent. She writes a great blog. Love the way you eat your wraps. I’m such a dipper at heart. :)

Katie January 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Okay, this review has finally convinced me. I’m making that jam.

This is such a Katie post! Yarn! Bacon! Condiments! Crafts! I’m freaking out over here. :D

HEAB January 11, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Katie, YES, make it. So good. Wish we could hang out together and eat veggie stir-fry with bacon jam and make crafty things. Someday. :)

Angie January 10, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Do you know if any stores in Nashville/Franklin carry bacon jam? If not, I think I’m going to have to make some.

HEAB January 11, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Angie,
I tried googling it, but had no luck. I’m hoping someone might sell it at the Franklin Farmer’s market or another local market in town. If not, I’m going to have to make some as well as our current jar is going to be gone very soon! :)

Laura @ She Eats Well January 10, 2012 at 2:02 pm

That bacon jam wrap looks so tasty! A perfect breakfast in my opinion!

Ashley @ For Two Fitness January 10, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Heather, loved your new mom advice on Gina’s blog. So true, about the nap schedule especially! The Fitnessista is one of our very favorite mamas, and now she’s introduced us to you! Thank you :)

HEAB January 11, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Thanks so much Ashley. Gina is one of my favorites too. :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb January 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm

bacon jam sounds very intriguing… and delicious at the same time!

i hate having my hubby away. hope the rest of the time flies by!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 10, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Katie is my bestie. Love that girl. I don’t love bacon but I do love hot pepper jelly, chutneys, any kind of chunky jam (other than with bacon in it…lol) I am so down for.

I hope you and Summer have a girls night in doing your nails and watching Real Housewives marathon episodes…or sing the ABCs and watch Barney or something like that :)

xo

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free January 10, 2012 at 5:04 pm

It does sounds absolutely amazing!!! MMmm…

And I can’t wait to see what you made with the yarn and hot glue-nothing better than some good ol’ craft time.

Lou January 10, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Hope you and Summer are hanging in there – really sucks when your other half is away… you appreciate them so much more when they return! Viper works away all the time… think he was away for 6 months all up last yeah, boo.

It is true the old, absence makes the heart grow fonder though – thank Heavens for Skype too!

Am totally making the bacon jam for Viper :) Happy crafting!

HEAB January 11, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Lou,
Oh gosh, I had no idea Viper traveled that much. That’s hard, especially when it’s just you with Misty. Although CD is gone most of the day, it’s so nice having him around to help out in the mornings and evenings. Plus, he always comes home for lunch. He was only gone 2 days, and I missed him like crazy. Can’t wait to hear what Viper thinks of the jam!

Hannah January 10, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Hurrah that it’s awesome! Chocolate bacon jam toastie next? :P

HEAB January 11, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Hannah,
Perhaps. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 10, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Congrats to Gina! That is amazing news!

I have a feeling I need to make some bacon jam for the boys…

Pure2raw twins January 10, 2012 at 8:46 pm

bacon jam?? what will bacon be in next LOL

we loved your post on Gina’s blog!!

HEAB January 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Thanks girls. :)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco January 10, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Mmmmm. Bacon jam. I’ll have to make a vegetarian version!

Samantha January 11, 2012 at 12:24 am

I will DEFINITELY be making that jam, YUM!

It’s tough when they travel. Sometimes I think us in the mil world get so used to it that we forget how challenging it can be for those families that DON’T endure it regularly.

HEAB January 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Sam,
I know – I thought about you. CD was only gone for 2 days. Military life would be really hard at times, but think of all the amazing places you and your family have experienced. That’s one really cool aspect.

Stephanie January 11, 2012 at 12:30 am

You’re SO right—that looks *way* better than composting. ;) I’m not usually very imaginative about thinking about things that would be so amazing together… so I never would have combined all the stuff in bacon jam—and then where would I be?!? (well, largely in the same place I am now, but if I come across it, now I’ll have to try it!)

HEAB January 11, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Stephanie,
I would have NEVER thought to put those ingredients together either, but the end result is quite amazing. Hope you find some soon!

Marty January 11, 2012 at 2:30 am

Heather, I can’t wait to see what you and Summer are crafting! I hope CD comes home soon. David is in Alexandria, LA (in the rain!) for 3 weeks and I get to do all the chores, one is which surviving the -40 to -50 we’re supposed to get this weekend! Agh! But hey, I’ve got plenty of filing to do, so it’s a time to be inward and inside! Can’t wait to see what you do with that picture frame!?

HEAB January 11, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Marty,
Filing is one of my goals for the next few months. I have our family files spread out over one filing box and about 3 or 4 expandable file folders. I want to get a file cabinet and consolidate. It’s driving me nuts!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 11, 2012 at 6:44 am

Aww, I want to learn knitting finally! My mom is good at it, and I hope there’ll be some time so that she can show me this year. :)

Have a lovely time with Summer, just the two of you! :)

HEAB January 11, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Kath, yes, I know about your mom’s knitting talents. She makes really cool socks. :)

Ameena January 11, 2012 at 9:21 am

I want to learn how to knit! I feel like it will help me with my very high-strung lifestyle….but then again, maybe I’ll get frustrated and more uptight? :)

I usually love it when my hubby travels because then I don’t have to cook!

HEAB January 11, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Ameena,
I sometimes want to learn, but it seems like all my friends already know how to knit, and they keep my scarf collection stocked. So, I figure I’d rather be doing other stuff. ;)

Olivia January 11, 2012 at 9:46 am

I was waiting the hear how that bacon jam was! So glad it turned out to be yummy. Sorry to hear that CD is away. I know what a bummer is can be when your other half is out of the picture for a little while. At least you’ve got Summer, crafts, and bacon jam to keep you company!

I can’t wait to see what you guys are making! Don’t forget to show us in a later post. :)

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City January 11, 2012 at 9:53 am

oh man, i have to get this for my boyfriend!

Christin@purplebirdblog January 11, 2012 at 11:45 am

Oooo, I’m working through my reader and hadn’t got to Katie’s post yet… but I’ll rush right over and pin it too!! Baconnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! :D