Fudge & Frames

by HEAB on January 11, 2012

Remember my butternut squash/pumpkin fudge phase? You know, the trick where you add nothing but a can of pureed squash to brownie mix and bake?

Well, I decided to try it with the sample of XO Baking Company’s brownie mix I received a few weeks ago.

Looks good, doesn’t it?

Well, after eating 1/4 of the pan, I decided that next time, I’ll stick with the directions on the back of the bag.  My apologies to Libby’s canned pumpkin, but Kerrygold butter makes a much better brownie!

In other news, I finished my craft project…

Yarn wrapped frames.  The photo in the frame on the left is blurred because it’s a gift, and I’m afraid the recipient might be reading. :)

For directions, click here.  It was a fun project, although each frame took about two hours to complete. Well worth it though as I love the finished products.

katie @KatieDid January 11, 2012 at 1:34 pm

You have the crafty gene that I wish I had. So very cute!
My mom used to make spice “diet” bred of sorts using just cake mix and canned pumpkin but I can’t say I was ever a fan. Let them eat cake! hehe.

HEAB January 12, 2012 at 11:31 am

Katie,
Really, I’ve had others tell me to try the pumpkin with a spice cake mix…but I think I’ll stick to Funfetti instead. ;)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free January 11, 2012 at 1:54 pm

The frames are utterly adorable. I’m sure your friend will be thrilled! (I would be thrilled!!!)

HEAB January 12, 2012 at 11:30 am

Thanks Alex. :)

janetha January 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm

You are speedy with your pinterest projects! I saw you pin this–yours turned out soooo cute!!!

HEAB January 12, 2012 at 11:29 am

Janetha,
Ha, well, there are 100′s of other things I’ve pinned that I’ve completely forgotten about, but for some reason, this one screamed, “Make me now!” :)

Penny @Big Spoon, Little Spoon January 11, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Haha, I was considering doing the exact same thing last night with some leftover butternut squash puree. Im glad I didn’t now! Thanks for taking one for the team Heather! ;)

HEAB January 12, 2012 at 11:29 am

Penny,
It’s funny. I used to love the squash fudge trick, but this batch just came out funky. Although, it’s pretty good mashed up in a little Greek yogurt or with a dollop of whipped cream. ;)

STUFT Mama January 11, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I’ve never tried the brownie mix and pumpkin thing. Funny how butter and original ingredients make things that much better sometimes. Ha. You and your projects. I’m starting to feel like I need to step it up around here. :) you’re amazing!

HEAB January 12, 2012 at 11:28 am

STUFT,
You have twins. Trust me, if there were two of Summer, I don’t think I’d be doing as many projects. ;)

Mimi (Gingersnaps) January 11, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Aww, those frames are so cute! Heh, I do add pumpkin to my brownies…but I also add butter and almond butter. It’s a trinity of nutrients!

Actually I found the coolest use for butter – adding some to coffee along with a bit of coconut oil. You mix it up in a blender and it becomes the creamiest latte ever! It’s called Bulletproof Coffee. I thought it would taste rank but it’s actually very good.

HEAB January 12, 2012 at 11:27 am

Mimi,
Oh my gosh, I have friends that have been trying to get me try the Bulletproof coffee for months, and actually sent me a Bulletproof coffee care package for Christmas. Cracked me up. The couple prefers their’s with coconut milk and ghee. I promise to try soon. :)

Tracey January 11, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Very cute! Echoing your sentiments from yesterday… My hubby never travels and he is out of town too! We miss him. I’ve also decided not to get too crazy healthifing Evelyn’s birthday cake… I’m attempting to make an owl cake! I’m hoping she can learn moderation better than her mommy!

HEAB January 12, 2012 at 11:26 am

Tracey,
She will – I’m hoping the same for Summer, and that’s why I don’t want to say any food is off limits.

I bet the owl cake is going to be so cute. Please let me know how it goes!

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood January 11, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Wow, what creativity in such a cute person! ;) Speaking of crafts, I actually made soap for the first time yesterday… Hoping it turns out well :-D

HEAB January 12, 2012 at 11:25 am

Sylvia,
Me too. Keep me posted!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 11, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I need fudge and I want to be crafty! Love the frames! I have a huge pumpkin that I just roasted…I need to make fudge and see if the boys can tell that I made it with pumpkin.

HEAB January 12, 2012 at 11:24 am

Sarena,
Um yeah, I have a feeling they’ll be able to tell. ;)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 11, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Oh wow… just a few days ago, I made a pan of brownies with KG Butter. And holy moly. They are some of my best brownie work ever. Actually, they probably are my best. I figured out the perfect brownie recipe, for me, i.e. realllllly dense, fudgy, not cakey in the least; and then combined with KG butter…life is great.

Congrats on finishing your craft project!

HEAB January 12, 2012 at 11:23 am

Averie,
Everything’s better with Kerrygold. :)

Lou January 11, 2012 at 6:24 pm

You’re such a groovy-Mama! LOVE these frames, beautiful job Heather… it’s so nice to have a project to pick up in the quiet moments hey? Hmmm, these days, don’t get so many of those moments, when the babe sleeps – we craft :)

HEAB January 12, 2012 at 11:23 am

Lou,
Exactly, been doing my crafty stuff at night. My projects are overtaking the dining room table, and we don’t have much room to eat, but they make me happy. :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb January 11, 2012 at 6:26 pm

those frames are so cute!!

i agree, butter is the way to go in terms of taste, but pumpkin’s not a bad alternative if lightened up is your priority.

Samantha January 11, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Great job on the frames, they’re neat! My boy’s favorite brownies are the no pudge box made w/ greek yogurt. I’ve never been a huge brownie fan.

HEAB January 12, 2012 at 11:22 am

Sam,
I’ve never tried the No Pudge, but I try it with yogurt – in your family’s honor. :)

Pure2raw Twins January 11, 2012 at 8:37 pm

love the frames! you are so creative!
and we would have been all over those brownies! yum! rich dense chewy brownies are our favorites.

Olivia January 11, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Super cute frames! I will have to try that!

Why oh why do I always read your blog when I’m hungry?? Now all I can think about having for dinner are brownies! Curse you, HEAB! ;)

Hannah January 11, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Oh yes, oh yes. Butter beats vegetables in the brownie world forever and ever. It makes me sad that there are people who will never let themselves have a proper rich brownie!

HEAB January 12, 2012 at 11:21 am

Hannah, agreed! Sometimes, you just need to enjoy the real thing!

Lindsay @ Salt, Sun & Sanity January 11, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Those frames came out beautiful! What a great idea for an inexpensive homemade gift! I can’t wait to try it out :)

Lindsey January 12, 2012 at 2:00 am

Heather, I definitely have to agree with you that pumpkin is just no substitute for butter in the brownies. About a month ago I tried the exact same thing, but after eating my weights worth of butter filled brownies since the day 1 of development, it’s just not the same ;)
However, if you replace the eggs with 1/4 cup of canned pumpkin and follow the oil/water instructions on the package, it makes one AMAZING vegan brownie!

HEAB January 12, 2012 at 11:20 am

Lindsey,
Still ended up eating all the brownies. I’m not one to pass up fudgey chocolate, even if it does taste kind of funky. So sticking to the directions next time! ;)

Marty January 12, 2012 at 4:25 am

Heather, those frames are so creative and sweet! Perfect gift for a knitter! I’m not sure if your friend is one, but I bet she’ll live her gift, mainly because it’s from you and Summer of course!

The brownies…I agree that butter would prob taste better, tho I might try Lindsey’s option when if I could only get my hands on a GF and SF mix!

Marty January 12, 2012 at 4:27 am

…LOVE her gift, not live it! Have you had those spelling surprises with your 4S yet? So jealous…!!!

HEAB January 12, 2012 at 11:19 am

marty, haha, yes. Darn spell correct! I’ve sent some pretty crazy messages thus far and then always have to compose another one to explain myself. :)

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 12, 2012 at 7:52 am

Those frames look professional!

Ana January 12, 2012 at 8:41 am

Omg, those frames are awesome, I LOVE them!!! You did an amazing job with those and I am sure your friend is going to love that as well!

HEAB January 12, 2012 at 11:18 am

Thanks Ana. :)

Michaela January 12, 2012 at 10:08 am

wow, these look just fabulous!!!!

Em (Wine and Butter) January 12, 2012 at 10:55 am

Apple sauce in muffins is so 2008.

ALTHOUGH I have to say I enjoyed a great deal of frozen yogurt in Cali AND I’m reigning back a BIT on the butter, in favour of olive oil and some lighter meals. Feeling better for it too!

It’s an endless adventure finding what works best isnt it!?

ps – i had a peppermint mocha thingy in the states after reading your post and I have to say I thought it was THE grossest thing ever. Luckily Louis got them free on account of having an English accents (I LOVE americans sooooo much) – otherwise we might be having words. I thought we were taste soulmates :) xox pps – I did LOVE the eggnog lattes though….

HEAB January 12, 2012 at 11:17 am

Em, OK, totally going to try and pull off an English accent on my next trip to Starbucks. So not kidding, and I totally forgive you for not loving the pepp. mocha. At least you ate plenty of fro-yo! :)

Christin@purplebirdblog January 12, 2012 at 11:12 am

I personally think your butternut fudge rocks… I just made some the other day! But yeah, butter RULES and I’ve been using it to saute cabbage lately… the best! Those frames are the cutest ever, and I’ve been working on a photo project that these would work wonders for. Consider it pinned! ;)