My New Favorite Cookie

by HEAB on January 23, 2012

Today, we baked cookies with a new ingredient.

Caramel Bits.

We made Christin’s Cocoa Caramel Chickpea Cookies, and although Oaties will always hold a special place in my heart, Christin’s cookies are my favorite for the time being.  I followed her recipe, but subbed coconut milk for the almond milk, walnuts for the pecans, and used Hershey’s Dark Cocoa Powder.  Christin, I made sure to toast the walnuts. :)

The melted caramel center is what makes this cookie.  They remind me of the turtle brownies my mom used to make, which I always enjoyed warm with vanilla ice-cream…

Yep, just as good as I remembered.

I know a lot of my posts are sugar heavy lately, but I’m just going with my cravings these days.  You could always leave the caramel bits out…but you really shouldn’t. ;)

Christin, thanks again for such a delicious recipe!

liz dean January 23, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I’m going to have to make these pronto.

I’m so happy you have preggers cravings…they totally let me off the hook with my resolutions…I mean really, how am I supposed to withstand between HEAB and Pinterest? :)

Alyssa January 23, 2012 at 8:02 pm

YUM!
Summer looks so cute, sitting up there!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List January 23, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Now I MUST make cookies!! Like right now at 8:29pm. I’ve got some Breyer’s Oreo to go with!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 23, 2012 at 8:36 pm

You know I agree that you have to go with the cravings! I have had those cookies bookmarked forever! I have chickpeas soaking right now for treats! Look who’s helping you bake now! I miss those days of little helpers. Summer is getting so big! She’s gonna be a great big sister!

tracey January 23, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Those look so yummy! Hope you are feeling better this time around! I haven’t posted in awhile, but today’s post has a picture of the Owl Cake http://365daysofsugarfree.com/2012/01/23/gone-too-long-and-confessions/. I made a different cake for Evelyn to eat- Mama Pea’s carrot cake with 1/2 the sugar and maple syrup blended with cream cheese for the frosting. It turned out very well!

Lou January 23, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Dinosaur tights!! Summer sure is a groovy gal… I like her style.

Must make these… have been meaning to bake up some of Cristin’s goodies for ages – she’s such a gem :)

Oh yes, the pregnancy appetite… I found sugar helped me feel better during those first 20weeks – lime cordial over ice was my cure for morning sickness, weird but it worked.

It’s going to be interesting reading about your TWIN preggo-journey :) argh, so flippin cool!!

Katie January 23, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I used to love those little bits as a kiddo – we melted them and dipped apples in that gooey deliciousness. Love the idea of adding them in cookies!

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood January 23, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I love caramel… absolutely insanely in love with them. Your desserts make me happy :-D <3

Pure2raw Twins January 23, 2012 at 9:58 pm

yum yum caramel is one of my favorite childhood flavors! I ate it all the time, I have not had it in years. I am living my love of sugary things through you, as I am avoiding it till my face calms down, though each day it is getting better!
and love the little kitchen helper you have :)
xoxo
Lori

Mary @ Bites and Bliss January 23, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I saw these and mentioned they would be awesome stuffed with chocolate, too! They look delicious!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 23, 2012 at 10:22 pm

She’s beyond cute helping you bake!

And I blogged about those caramel bits last week. I.want.them.

I still haven’t bought them because I have one or two bags of chocolate, toffee bits, chunks, chips, candies, sprinkles, etc…to use up but soon…the caramel bits.

Your cookies look awesome!

Ameena January 23, 2012 at 10:32 pm

There is really no such thing as a sugar-heavy post. Really, can anyone have enough?

Summer is too cute on the counter. Maya and I spent many hours baking away! Our interest in utilizing chocolate was/is one of the few things we have in common. :)

Nancy January 23, 2012 at 11:00 pm

Yum! Must make these cookies soon! :)

Tangy January 23, 2012 at 11:08 pm

I had my baby almost 5 months ago and the sugar cravings still have not stopped! I recently ran out of white sugar and brown sugar and I refuse to replace them because if I do, I will surely bake.

j3nn January 23, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I have a bag of those caramel bits and I want to make them melt in my mouth right now! These sound delish. :)

Julie January 23, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Heather,
These look amazing. Must make them asap. Tonight for dinner I had the ultimate pregger meal:Mac and cheese with a side of peanut butter and jelly on an english muffin. With 2 baby carrots for my veggie portion. Just thought you might relate. I am hoping you are not as nauseaus this time around. Also, I love the pic of Summer with her bag of candy.

HEAB January 24, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Julie,
Haha, love it. I went to town on some mac & cheese the other night with a side of chicken apple sausage, and I’m sure I’ll be repeating that dinner often. :)

Laura @ She Eats Well January 23, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Mmm. Looks so so yummy. Also, love that spoon. It’s too cute. Honestly, everything is better with caramel these days…

HEAB January 24, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Thanks Laura. The spoon is from this artist on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodenHive

Hannah January 24, 2012 at 3:48 am

Looks incredible! Alas, caramel chips are yet another of those things we simply don’t have in Australia. Ah well, a girl can dream :)

Meagan January 24, 2012 at 8:41 am

Oh that vanilla-cookie combo is the bomb. I bet summer really enjoyed snacking on one :)
Last night I had some coconut flour brownies and homemade vanilla ice cream (supplemented with vanilla haagen daaz) OMG. Brownies + vanilla = fav combo!!

HEAB January 24, 2012 at 7:17 pm

OMG indeed Meagan. Warm brownies + ice-cream will never fail to make me happy. :)

Erika - The Teenage Taste January 24, 2012 at 10:20 am

I’m a firm believer that anything with caramel bits in it has got to be good! Warm, freshly baked cookies a la mode has got to be one of the best desserts in the world, by the way! :-D

HEAB January 24, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Erika,
I concur. Ice cream + melted caramel is a match made in heaven. :)

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City January 24, 2012 at 10:38 am

yummy! i think it is so great that you and summer bake together. too cute :)

Christin@purplebirdblog January 24, 2012 at 11:17 am

YES! Your version looks fantastic… I need to pick up some more of that dark cocoa powder as I’ve been out for a while… that stuff is just so good! Your little helper is the cutest around, and I really need a pair of dinosaur leg warmers for myself ;) I made a mega-peanutty version for this week’s chickpea cookie which are my personal favorite so far.

HEAB January 24, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Christin,
I would like some dinosaur leg warmers too…and I CANNOT wait for this week’s recipe. Loving on some PB lately!

Christin@purplebirdblog January 24, 2012 at 7:21 pm

New recipe is up ;)

Jessy Keim January 24, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Many thanks for this recipe! I may try it with peanut butter cup centers (recipe from Spoonful of Sugarfree) though! Much love to your family and congratulations!!!! Summer is SO adorable. I’m sure the twins will be just as precious, if not loud!

HEAB January 24, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Thanks so much Jessy, and I think the addition of pb cup centers is brilliant. They will be so good!

Jennie (the gf-gf) January 24, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Aw, I wish I could find dinosaur leggings in my size!! So cute.

I wish I could find caramel bits, too, but considering how much I love caramel everything, maybe it’s a good thing that I haven’t … ;-)

HEAB January 24, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Jennie,
I know – someone needs to make fun adult leggings!

Em (Wine and Butter) January 24, 2012 at 1:23 pm

WOAH – that little baby of yours is growing up!!! so pretty :)

I love the idea of craving excuses (not EXCUSES but, you know…). Im thinking that could totally negate the challenge of a wine free 9 months…

xox

HEAB January 24, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Em,
The cravings are so bizarre. Yesterday, I literally wanted to stick a straw in a jar of olives and drink the juice. Today, all I can think about are enchiladas. :)

julia kim January 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Hi,
May I get your direct email address so that I can send you some information about my client’s new book. Dr. Mark Hyman who is a best selling author is coming out with another wellness book this February.
Hope to hear back from you soon. Thank you for your time.

Best,
Julia Kim

HEAB January 24, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Julia Kim,
No thanks. I’m no longer doing product or book reviews on my blog.

charlotte January 24, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Sooo excited to read your pregnancy announcement! I’ve been waiting for that one:) Your little tummy is so adorable! And thank you for this recipe – I just bought a bag of caramel nibs on clearance after the holidays and was trying to think of what to make with them. Perfect!

HEAB January 24, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Charlotte,
I think you will love the cookies – the melted caramel is so good. They’re not very sweet either. Perfect in my opinion. :)

Alex @ Raw Recovery January 24, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Wow those cookies look delicious! I’m such a huge fan of caramel and chocolate. I also love mint and chocolate, so sweet and refreshing :)

Jennifer January 24, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Oh my goodness Heather love summers outfit. :) (Does she pick out her favs already?)

I’m going to have to try these as the turtle brownie is one of my all time favorites.

HEAB January 24, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Jennifer,
Nope, Summer has shown no interest in clothes thus far. So, for the time being I dress in her outfits that I would totally wear myself. :)

Angel7 January 24, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Summer is sooo adorable!!! I bet she enjoyed the yummy goodness :)

{ 1 trackback }