Leftover Bits

by HEAB on January 25, 2012

What do you do with leftovers caramel bits from baking your new favorite cookie?

You make salted caramel apple oat bran…

For this bowl, I cooked 1/2 cup oat bran in one cup water with a pinch of salt until nice and thick.  I then stirred in a TBSP of brewer’s yeast – I’m still obsessed with brewer’s yeast and always add it to my oats.  I love the taste, but it also ups the nutritional profile.  After my oat bran was done cooking, I stirred in a chopped Granny Smith apple and topped my bowl off with a spoonful of caramel bits.  After a minute or two, the little bits got all melty.  Loved the sweet warm caramel paired with the crisp sour apple.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 25, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Now that is a perfect bowl of oats!

simple chick January 25, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Yum!

Greta @ Staying Lost January 25, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Caramel on oats sounds delicious!

Coco January 25, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I love that adorable spoon! Where did you get it?!

HEAB January 26, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Coco,
The spoon if from this artist on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodenHive. She’ll personalize her spoons with the word of your choice. :)

Erika @ The Teenage Taste January 25, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Mmmmmm…melty caramel bits on oatmeal. <3 <3 <3
Why didn't I think of that?

HEAB January 26, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Erika,
I don’t know, but that’s why I’m spreading the news. :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 25, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Caramel and apples are a fave combo that never gets old. Like peanut butter and chocolate or coffee and cream.

Good job on the oatmeal and the way I make oatmeal is pretty much dessert in a bowl. Cinn, brown sugar, sometimes choc chips or other random diced candy bits, you know, a “light” snack :)

Alyssa January 25, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Holy yum!!!!!!

Lou January 25, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Love your work, HEABie… salty sweetie bowl of joy right there :)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) January 25, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Does Brewer’s yeast taste anything like nutritional yeast? My parents used to add it in my bottles as an infant for colic and apparently it worked well. :)

HEAB January 26, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Jenn,
It does, but the Brewer’s yeast tastes more nut-like to me. Nutritional yeast is a bit more cheesy, and I like the texture of the Brewer’s better. It’s more grainy, which I prefer over the flakes.

Christin@purplebirdblog January 25, 2012 at 5:41 pm

That’s what I’m talkin’ about. Mmmmmmm, I have a major craving for salted caramel apples now. :)

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness January 25, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Salted caramel is my weakness, this looks picture perfect!

lindsay January 25, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Salty caramel balls are addicting, and I guess the candy is too. haha, i just had to. CD will like that one.
;)

HEAB January 26, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Lindsay,
Yes, I’m sure he will. ;)

Kilee January 25, 2012 at 7:00 pm

This looks so comforting and sweet! I hope you’re feeling good with your pregnancy so far.

HEAB January 26, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Thanks Kilee. The first trimester was rough, but I’m feeling better now. Definitely over the worst of it!

kathleen @ the daily crumb January 25, 2012 at 7:29 pm

amazing idea! looks delicious. i’m sure the two little ones appreciated the extra sugar :)

Gina @ oats and beans and baby grow January 25, 2012 at 8:24 pm

This sounds like such a perfect way tonest a classic combo! You like those bits? I keep meaning to use them…I almost used them in my apple cider cookies, but I hadn’t really heard a verdict on them.

HEAB January 26, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Gina,
The bits are good. It’s been so long since I’ve had anything with caramel in it, and I forgot how much I love it. The bits work great in cookies as they melt and give each cookie a yummy gooey center.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 25, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I need to remember to look for those caramel bits!! I have the worst short-term memory.
And, OMG I’m late and catching up on your posts- CONGRATS on your big news!! That is amazing!!
(I secretly freak out about getting pregnant with twins because my hubby is a twin ;) )

HEAB January 26, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Lauren,
Thanks so much. I freaked out a bit too, but now I’m super excited. Everything I’ve heard from parents of twins or twins themselves has been nothing but positive. Still, I know those first couple of years are going to be hard, but it will be so worth it, watching our kids all grow up together so close in age. That’s what we wanted, and we feel very blessed. :)
P.S. Found the bits in the baking aisle at my regular grocery store.

michelle January 25, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I’m so happy to see your oat ideas again!

Alex @ Raw Recovery January 25, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Oh wow. Caramel and apples in oats? You are the goddess of oats because that sounds AMAZING! Where can I find caramel bits?

HEAB January 26, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Alex,
That bowl was pretty amazing. I found the caramel bits in the baking aisle of my regular grocery store.

Nikki January 25, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Wow, that looks good! Is it breakfast yet?? Yum!

HEAB January 26, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Nikki,
It’s not just for breakfast. Made a pretty darn good lunch as well. ;)

Hannah January 26, 2012 at 2:11 am

This makes me feel better about always adding Lindt 85% to my morning oatmeal :)

HEAB January 26, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Hannah,
Now you of all people should know there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with chocolate for breakfast! :)

katie @KatieDid January 26, 2012 at 8:38 am

Is brewers yeast different/similar/ or the same thing as the vegamite that you also like? What is the taste like??

HEAB January 26, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Katie,
Vegemite is a like a very concentrated brewer’s yeast made into a spreadable paste. Regular brewer’s yeast is like a grainy powder that you can sprinkle atop dishes or use in recipes. It’s not nearly as salty as vegemite and has a nut-like taste. I love it, and it’s chock-full of nutrients including lots of B vitamins.

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood January 26, 2012 at 11:18 am

Hmmm I’ve never tried brewer’s yeast before but it’s certainly something worth putting on my list to try if you like it so much ;)

HEAB January 26, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Sylvia,
I love it – full of B vitamins and has a nut-like taste. So good. Try the Lewis Labs brand if you buy some – I hear it’s the best tasting.

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City January 26, 2012 at 12:49 pm

oh wow what an awesome combo! i bet this was amazing.

Laura @ She Eats Well January 26, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I love the idea of caramel in oatmeal. I’ve put caramel sauce in mine before and it gives it such a nice sweet flavor. A great way to start the day, indeed.

jeralyn January 26, 2012 at 1:37 pm

For even a healthier version I use sugar free caramel syrup in my oats…YUM!