Back In The Kitchen

by HEAB on January 26, 2012

My first trimester was no fun, but I’m starting to feel better and have been spending more time in the kitchen.  In fact, I have actually prepared dinner for the whole family twice this past week – a huge step for me.  For the past few months, CD has been fending for himself every night, and Summer has been eating a lot of baked sweet potatoes and other easy to prepare meals. However, this week, I made my favorite lasagna, and after seeing Sarena, Kristin, and Rachel all loving on some enchiladas, I started craving Mexican.  So, since I’ve had Jenna’s chicken enchilada recipe bookmarked for over three years now, I decided it was time.

I stuck to Jenna’s recipe but used sprouted corn tortillas and regular sour cream and cheese.  For dinner, I slopped two of the enchiladas onto my plate and thoroughly enjoyed every ooey gooey bite. Then CD and I both went back for seconds.

I also managed to keep my mom’s bread starter alive and made my first batch of homemade sourdough.  For the recipe, please click here.  It makes three loaves, and the plan was to keep one loaf and give the other two away.  Well, CD arrived home from work just as I was pulling the bread from the oven.  He started eating our loaf before I could snap a photo, and this is what he left me…

So, I guess we can consider my first solo attempt at homemade sourdough a success! :)

Rachel January 26, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Wow… I had no idea when I made mine that it was blogger enchilada week! ;) I’ve also had Jenna’s recipe bookmarked for a while… it looks amazing! And that sourdough looks fantastic, too. I’m one of those people who is terrified to bake my own bread, for whatever reason – I need to bust out of that fear, because I could eat your bread photo right off the screen.

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Rachel,
Oh gosh, you must try Jenna’s recipe. So easy and so very good…and not nearly as much chopping involved. ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 26, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I want more enchiladas now! I’ve been cravin them ever since I made them last week! I want them with pintos now. Why am I having pregnancy cravings for you? Sounds about right on the bread…fresh bread is never safe when pulled out of the oven. I bet it was amazing! I’m glad you’re feeling a little better.

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Sarena,
Because you love me. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog January 26, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Sourdough is one of those things that I’m incredibly intimidated by, but I’ll conquer that fear sooner than later. I just conquered my fear of sauerkraut to deliciously amazing results. I’ve been reading up on gluten-free sourdough recipes, so it’s only a matter of time. :)

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Christin,
Let me know if you find a good one. I searched around and the gluten free sourdough recipes I found seemed so complicated and had a list of 5 different flours. I should just make kraut – much easier! :)

the delicate place January 26, 2012 at 3:25 pm

::cries:: that is the one food i miss the most since i got diagnosed celiac. sourdough! poor nate loves it too and tries to buy a mini circle loaf or baguette so as not to taunt me with it when the craving strikes. i’m happy that you’ve found your way back in the kitchen, i look forward to the unique combos! i eat like a pregnant lady normally/random!

katie @KatieDid January 26, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Glad you’re feeling better and able to play around in the kitchen again! Both of those look and sound incredible right now!

Katie January 26, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Oh sourdough, I miss thee.

Your enchiladas look super gooey and perfect! I’m always so lazy when I make them -I make them casserole style. All that rolling and mess-making drives me bonkers!

Libby January 26, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Lately I’m loving tortillas with my evening meals. And chocolate. Lots of chocolate :)

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Libby,
Have you ever melted chocolate in a tortilla? So good, especially with peanut butter! :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb January 26, 2012 at 3:58 pm

those chicken enchiladas have been on my list forever as well!! thanks for the nudge… definitely trying them soon!!

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Kathleen,
Make them. So easy and so very good!

Ameena January 26, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I’m very late in saying this but congratulations Heather! I am so excited for you…and you are one amazing mother to be able to do it all over again. :)

Homemade sourdough must be a total dream…

Ameena January 26, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Just catching up on your old posts and I found out you are having twins! Congratulations again. :) So happy for you.

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Thanks so much Ameena. :)

Jessica@Fruit and Veggie Tales January 26, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Just wanted to say congratulations! Summer and my baby boy are only about a month apart and we are expecting again as well! Funny how that happens when you have one close in age, the others seem to follow the same way! I’m only 8 weeks though and this will be our third baby, we also have a 3 year old daughter. So excited for your family! Do twins run in your family or are you the first? *If you get a chance, you should read our most recent blog post called, “A Healing Journey.” It’s long but it’s quite the miraculous story and tells how I was able to actually get pregnant with this baby without medication! :-)

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Jessica,
No way! So exciting, and it makes me happy to know that there are others out there having babies so close together in age. We can do this together. :) Twins do not run in our family – the first set on either side, and I will definitely be checking out your blog post. Thanks!

WIERDGREENMAN January 26, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I really need to make enchiladas…
I have raised several traditional sourdough starters, but last year, when I tried using whole wheat flour instead of white, it failed…do you know if whole wheat sourdough starter works?

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Wierd,
No, I’m not sure as I’ve only ever made the sourdough with regular bread flour, but I know there are whole wheat recipes floating around out there. Found this one for you: http://www.sourdoughhome.com/100percentwholewheat.html

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 26, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Wow, congrats on homemade sourdough!! That’s amazing. I don’t make bread other than quick breads, or donut-ey types of bread, banana breads; never worked with sourdough but you clearly have it mastered already if CD left you just a tiny sliver :)

And good for you for cooking. When I was pregnant, unwrapping saltines and pouring a ginger ale were my idea of cooking.

Felicia January 26, 2012 at 7:15 pm

i’ve actually never had or made enchiladas before…they always look so good! i think i’m missing out here… haha! and nice job with the bread!

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Felicia,
Yes, totally missing out. Make them soon! :)

anon January 26, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Ah, you have my sympathy. I am 17 weeks now, and for the first 14, I cooked almost nothing. I did manage to do a little bit on the weekends, but not my normal self. Then a switch flipped and I’ve been cooking like MAD the last few weeks.

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Anon,
Can’t wait to feel completely normal again…I’m almost there. I can feel it! :)

Samantha January 27, 2012 at 1:57 am

I think sourdough starters must somehow grow little bits of crack because that stuff is addicting and store-bought sourdough can’t touch homemade from a starter. We made the 7up biscuits recently that have been floating around pinterest and they were pretty awesome too!

Glad to hear you’re back in the kitchen. Although I doubt Summer minded living on baked sweet potatoes…who would?!

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Sam,
I’ve always wanted to try the 7up recipes I read about. I think there is one for cake as well. Good to know the biscuits were a hit!

Hannah January 27, 2012 at 3:13 am

So sorry to hear you were feeling rotten in the first trimester! Here’s to smooth (and delicious) sailing from now on :)

STUFT Mama January 27, 2012 at 5:28 am

Ha ha. Love that that’s what he left you. Definitely a success. And happy enchilada week! :) Oh… I have so much other stuff to write to you. Will be emailing you soon! :)

Colleen Stewart January 27, 2012 at 7:38 am

hmm not sure where I just left a comment but I don’t see it! lol
I’m going grocery shopping this morning and needed one more dinner idea. This looks so yummy! Plus I’ve never tried a recipe from you I haven’t liked :) Thanks Heather!

Pure2raw twins January 27, 2012 at 10:46 am

great job with the bread! it looks great! and now seeing these enchiladas I am going to have to make them for Gary :)
HUGS
and Happy Friday dear friend!
xoxo
Lori

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City January 27, 2012 at 11:01 am

i’m glad to hear that your pregnancy is now going smoothly! i’m so excited for you. Happy friday :)

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Thanks Caitlin, we’re excited too. :)

Deirdre @ Oh Well Whatever January 27, 2012 at 11:58 am

Nice job on the dinners! Does Summer eat stuff like the lasagna and enchiladas?

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Deirdre,
Yes, she loved both, especially the lasagna. I used brown rice noodles, and they cooked up nice and soft. Not a fan of crunchy noodles in my lasagna. For the enchiladas, I just cut her portion into tiny pieces as she still doesn’t have many teeth, and she ate them right up. :)

Nora @ Natural Noshing January 27, 2012 at 2:27 pm

AHHHHH! I have been out of the loop the past week – WHOA twins! CONGRATS TO YOU AND CD! I am thrilled for your precious little family!
Oh yeah, and that sourdough looks delicious too! :)

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Thanks so much Nora. :)

Paula January 27, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Glad to hear you are feeling better and able to do what you enjoy. Your sourdough looks great- all nice and fluffy inside. The instant potatoes in the starter is something I’d like to try.

TeenyLittleSuperChef January 27, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Haha, that’s such a coincidence because just this morning my friend had asked me if I had tried making any bread with the sourdough starter she’d given me. Unfortunately, my answer was a big fat, NO! The idea of making my own bread for some reason still scares the crap out of me. Surely, it can’t be that difficult but I’ve built it up in my mind that I’ll be a totally failure. Any helpful tips or words of encouragement?

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Teeny,
I felt the same way, even after watching my mom make it. Really, there is nothing to fear, and it was so easy. No real tips that I can think of – I followed the recipe exactly. The dough is sticky – and so make sure to have plenty of flour on hand to roll it in and let it rise in a warm area of your house…away from two hungry pups that like to take food off the counter when you leave the room. ;)

Nicole January 29, 2012 at 9:41 am

Glad that you’re feeling well enough to get back into the kitchen! I’ve been wanting to attempt a sourdough starter but it seems to be kind of annoying. Have a good week!!

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Nicole,
It did sound like a lot of work, but really, it’s fairly simple. I was surprised, and the end product is definitely worth it!

JessicaE January 29, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I was lucky to only have nausea until 8 1/2 weeks… and I was SO glad to be able to get back to cooking for my husband and eating vegetables besides potatoes! :) Glad you’re feeling better.

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Jessica,
Potatoes are a staple for sure. I did eat some spinach today though – my first greens in weeks! :)

Leah January 29, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Yum! I love Mexican Food – those enchiladas look awesome!

Ive been out of the loop for quite a while, but I returned to your blog this week & just read your post that your expecting again – Woo Hoo! Twins – how exciting! I wish you a healthy, happy pregnancy & no morning sickness.

Ill be following your updates & posts! I returned to your blog for inspiration on my continued weight loss journey! I have regained all the weight I lost back! I really enjoy your blog :-) Congrats again~So exciting

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Thanks so much Leah. Good to have you back! You’ll get back to where you were – just be patient with yourself. :)

Clair January 29, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I’ve seen your name floating around the blog-o-sphere, but for some reason, this is the first time I’ve visited your site. I love your food philosophy and can relate to so much of your journey with food. Really excited to explore…and you have a new regular reader. =)

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Thanks so much and I’m glad you found me! :)

Kath (My Funny Little Life) January 29, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Must have been a really tasty sourdough! At least you got the last bite. ;)

Kitchen time is sooooo good, I’m happy you have at least some time to cook for your family again. :)

Sara January 29, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Hahaha, it’s always a success in my house when it vanishes *like that*! I’ve mastered the art of secretly hoarding. :D

Do you know anything about this starter in terms of lactobaccillus and other beneficial bacteria that are usually in a sourdough starter? For example do you let it sit in open air so that it possibly picks some up?

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Sara,
I’m not sure exactly what good bacterias grow in sourdough bread, but when I feed the starter, it smells like a fermented drink – a lot like beer, and I leave it out all day after feeding and then put back in fridge. So definitely some good stuff growing in there!

Laura January 30, 2012 at 11:31 am

Hi Heather! I am so happy to hear you are out of the first trimester… it gets much better! Ha! I am 24 weeks pregnant with twins (boy and girl!) and it is like a 180 of how I feel today from weeks 4-14! I never thought I would feel NORMAL. But I do : ) Good luck! PS- Last night my husband had his hands on the top of my stomach and bottom of my stomach and was feeling both babies kick at the same time… it’s pretty awesome! So excited for you!

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Laura,
Thanks so much, and this is so good to hear. With my first pregnancy, I felt bad up through about week 15 or 16, and I’m at 15 weeks now. So hoping and praying to feel normal again soon. That’s so exciting you’re having twins as well – I can’t wait to feel them kicking and also looking forward to finding out their genders. Our ultrasound is at the end of Feb., and I cannot wait!

Colleen Stewart January 30, 2012 at 12:41 pm

OK the enchiladas where a big hit in our house! So easy and fast to put together. This will be another go to meal on a busy day! Thanks again Heather!

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Colleen,
Oh that makes me so happy to hear. I loved the recipe too and will be making again soon!

Holly McCloud January 30, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Heather, congratulations! I live in Nashville, too, and I (think) I ran into you at the U2 concert. If it was you, you took a picture of my group of friends for us – thank you. At the time, I was quite pregnant with MY twins – Ian & Isla are 5 months old now. Lots of parents (of one baby) want to tell you how impossible two babies will be, but having twins is so much fun! You guys will have a blast!!! There’s a great twins consignment sale coming up in April – even though you don’t really need two of everything, it’s fun to look around! Congratulations, again.

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Holly,
Thank you so much for the encouragement and how cool we met at the U2 concert. That’s so funny b/c I remember commenting to the group of people I was with that there seemed to be a lot of pregnant women in attendance that evening, and you were one of them! I love it. :)

Congrats on the birth of Isla and Ian – such beautiful names, and I would love to attend the consignment sale. Where is it? Thanks again!