The Evolution of PB Cup Oats

by HEAB on January 30, 2012

Bear with me.  Lots of peanut butter and chocolate cravings happening around here…

Happiness:

A pre-dawn bowl of oat bran with 1 TBSP Brewer’s yeast stirred in after cooking & topped with Trader Joe’s milk chocolate mini PB cups.

Sadness: Running out of  Trader Joe’s mini PB cups.

Happiness: Attending a baby shower where the party favor is a box of milk chocolate covered peanuts…

Oat bran with vanilla protein powder stirred in after cooking & topped with some darn good chocolate covered peanuts.

Sadness: Finishing off the chocolate covered peanuts and wishing I had grabbed two boxes on my way out the door.

Happiness: Finding leftover Christmas candy in the freezer…

Oat bran + Brewer’s yeast + Reese’s Christmas Tree = Bliss In A Bowl

Margarita January 30, 2012 at 2:36 pm

You should consider changing your name to Heather Eats Peanut Butter! ;) Of course, HEPB does not really roll off the tongue as well as HEAB. :)

I just cought up with all your posts and found out you’re pregnant again, with twins!!! How exciting! Congratulations!!! :)

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Thanks so much Margarita, and yeah, HEPB just doesn’t work quite as well, does it? ;)

Clemmy January 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I’ve been catching up on your blog, I’m a fellow AB enthusiast and absolutely LOVE oatmeal – your concoctions are amazing! Anyways, I wanted to comment and suggest putting the mini PB cups in the freezer – that’s the only way I eat them now. Amazing!!

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Clemmy,
From one fellow AB enthusiast to another, thank you. :)

And yes, PB cups straight outta of the freezer are amazing!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) January 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I am in total love of my peanut butter chocolate “fudge” on my evening dessert oat cakes. There is no shame in loving your chocolate and oats!

Are you still doing Jay Robb protein powder or do you have any suggestions on any others? I need to find some others to use…other than my beloved peanut flour that is.

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Sarena,
If only TJ’s sold pb flour. I’ve looked into ordering it online, but what I really want is some PB2. Need to order some from Amazon!

Jay Robb no longer makes rice protein powder. He’s supposedly coming out with another non-dairy protein powder, but I haven’t seen it. I’m not a fan of his egg white powder. It’s funky. Besides, since I’m no longer working at the Dr.’s office, I no longer can get Jay Robb or Sun Warrior at cost. Miss my discount! So, for now, I just have some generic whey stuff from Costco. Been loving on some dairy these days, and my body seems to be doing okay with it.

Emily Smallcomb January 30, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Oh my goodness Heather this is sooo funny. I love chocolate from the freezer. I have got to try frozen chocolate on hot oatmeal asap!!

Penny @ Big Spoon, Little Spoon January 30, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Heather this cracked me up! My brother and his wife had twins over a year ago (they did survive it!) and every care package I sent them contained a huge bag of Reese’s. I mean the pb/choc combo is amazing regardless…. but I wonder if its a twin-specific craving?

And I wonder if that would mean a woman pregnant with quins would crave peanutbutterchocolatecaramelmarshmellowcoveredstrawberries or some such?

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Penny,
You are too funny. Not sure if the PB cup craving is twin related as I craved them just as much during my first pregnancy and always in the 2nd trimester. Love those little cups! :)

Mandy A January 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Best.Post.Ever – Oat bran, chocolate, peanut butter! YES! :)

erika bryant January 30, 2012 at 3:22 pm

This cracks me up, because with 2 teenagers and a 9 and 5 year old you have to be very creative where to put the “good stuff.” I’m always stashing goodies here and there and forget where I put it and then I stumble on a chocolate treasure and say, Yes!! I’m notorious for shoving goodies in the back of the freezer for later eating. I feel like a squirrel storing for winter. It’s survival at it’s best in a family of 6! You will see one day:) Do you like you could make the sour dough bread with gluten free flour? Have you? I would like to try it, but wanted to check first to see if you know of anyone who has yet.

Rachel January 30, 2012 at 4:15 pm

HA! I definitely had to hide things from my brothers and dad when I was growing up. Empty tea tins were a favorite place to stash chocolate.

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Erika,
Yes, I learned long ago to hide things from CD, and now I’ll have to learn to be even more sneaky. ;)

I looked into making the sourdough gluten free, but the recipes I found were pretty complicated. Lots of different flours, etc. If I come across a good one, I’ll be sure to share!

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City January 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I LOVE peanut butter and chocolate! I don’t think a better flavor combination exists.

What is brewer’s yeast? How does it affect the oat bran?

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Lindsay,
Brewer’s yeast is a bi-product of the beer brewing process and is chock-full of vitamins and minerals, especially chromium and B vitamins. Also provides a good bit of protein. I started sprinkling it on everything back when I was breastfeeding as I read it could help increase milk supply. I fell in love with the taste – it’s kind of nutty, and now I still sprinkle it and on everything. Love it on oats, eggs, veggies, etc.

Jenny January 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Heather! your oats always look so creamy and thick. What is your trick?!?!

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Jenny,
Thanks but no trick. I always cook 1/2 cup oat bran with 1 cup water on stove-top with a pinch of salt. Just bring it to a boil and then reduce heat and let it simmer for about 2 minutes or so. I like it thick! :)

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad January 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Oh man, you know what I haven’t had in ages – oat bran!! I finally made oats at home for the first time in a long time the other night. But those were regular oats, not my beloved oat bran. I think dinner tonight will be a big pot of it. Brewers yeast is on my grocery list. If I don’t go today I’ll get it one night this week.

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Maggie,
Hope you enjoyed your oat bran dinner. :)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate January 30, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Haha…I’m always amazed by people who find leftover candy months after the holiday it was purchased for (Halloween, Easter, etc.)…when we have candy in the house, I have EVERY piece counted and accounted for :-)

Susan January 30, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I eat a similar version as a nighttime snack – oatbran cooked with nooch and curry powder, topped with peanut butter and Baker’s chocolate!

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Susan,
Love it. That sounds delicious!

the delicate place January 30, 2012 at 3:38 pm

i love this post. i totally can get behind the sweet/savory nutty goodness of this chocolate covered post. i had a wicked craving last night and hit up the local happy berry self serve station. they have the chopped up chunks of pb cups that i love to pour over tart frozen yogurt mmmm. bliss. side note: laughed at the ‘pre-dawn’ bowl ;)

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 9:27 pm

DP,
I love topping tart yogurt with PB cups or brownie bites…and whipped cream. And now I want fro-yo!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm

This might be the most perfect montage of oatmeal that I have ever seen! I just so happen to have some reeses minis in my freezer, too…

katie @KatieDid January 30, 2012 at 3:55 pm

You lucked out huh! I’m in loveeee with that middle bowl. Anthro I’m guessing??

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Katie,
Yep, Anthro. :)

TheFoodGospelAccordingtoRuth January 30, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Hey Heather,
We did a food photography class at Fido together last year and I was hoping to pick your brain about some blogging questions I had. If you have a chance to discuss I would really appreciate your help!
Thanks,
Ruthie

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Ruthie,
Sure, I’ll email you. Good to hear from you!

sarah January 30, 2012 at 4:08 pm

This reminded me of when I was pregnant with my daughter. I had such bad nausea, that the only thing I craved was chocolate pb milkshakes from the local cone shoppe. The owner was so nice to me. Many a night I showed up after closing and would tap on the window. She always opened up for me and made me a mean choco pb shake! I was so grateful to her!

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Sarah,
I love that story – very kind of the cone shoppe owner. That is some good customer service for sure!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes January 30, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Those are too cute. I’ve never had brewer’s yeast…is this a thing, putting it in oatmeal? May have to look into this..

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Stories,
Well, it’s a thing for me. :)

Rachel @ I'm Loving Today January 30, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I’m so sorry you had such a candy-induced roller coaster of emotions as of late. But I’m so glad you seemed to have stumbled across a special chocolate-peanut butter fairy who visits you when you need it most. (Where can I get one of those?!)

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Rachel,
I will send the fairy your way in exchange for sewing lessons. :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 30, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Glad you’re enjoying the PB Cups and surprise freezer stashes (from Xmas) are pretty much the best thing since sliced bread. Or since Santa Claus :)

Shelby January 30, 2012 at 4:28 pm

HEAB! After going a year without, I finally live within walking distance of Trader Joe’s!!!!!

I must pick up some mini PB cups, nothing’s better than nut butter and chocolate. I actually just had PB and dark chocolate oats for breakfast.

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Shelby,
Yay, so happy to hear it. When you get a chance, shoot me an email. I want to hear all about life in CA! :)

I Dream of Beets (Sarah) January 30, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Is it bad that I eat this now, when I’m not pregnant?

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Sarah,
Nope, not bad at all. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog January 30, 2012 at 4:40 pm

“Bear with me. Lots of peanut butter and chocolate cravings happening around here…”

I have no pregnancy excuse, but I’m experiencing the same phenomenon. Empathy cravings across the states, perhaps? ;)

I was JUST telling Alex to be on the lookout for the Reese’s PB cup hearts next time he went to the store, and now I know exactly what I’m going to do when I get one.

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Christin,
When I made your PB explosion cookies today (amazing btw!), I thought these would be really good with a mini pb cup shoved right in the middle! :)

Christin@purplebirdblog January 31, 2012 at 10:43 am

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon January 30, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Bahaha this is GREAT!!!

kalli January 30, 2012 at 5:03 pm

yum yum yum! i think everything tastes better with a bit of chocolate or mixed into oat bran. one question for you heather. i tend to use nutritonal yeast. how is brewyers yeast different?

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Kalli
Here is some info. I found on the Net re. the difference between Brewer’s and nutritional yeast: Brewers yeast is a one-celled fungus, and used in brewing of beer. Brewers yeast is actually a by-product of the brewing process. Nutritional yeast is grown on molasses as a nutritional supplement. Neither are the same types of yeast as you use baking bread for example. Brewers yeast and nutritional yeast are not alive; they are deactivated. Brewers yeast has a more bitter taste than nutritional yeast. Many people say that nutritional yeast has a cheese flavor and like to add it to popcorn and pasta sauces…Brewers yeast has always been a good source of the very important B vitamins and chromium. If your main interest is the chromium, you should choose brewers yeast as a good source of chromium. If your main interest is B vitamins, you could choose either, but it does appear that the nutritional yeast has more of the B vitamins. Both of these yeast’s will give you a good source of non-animal protein.

Personally, I prefer the Brewer’s. Love the Lewis Lab’s brand. The taste is nutty whereas I find nutritional yeast to taste more cheesy.

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood January 30, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I think chocolate and peanut butter are my two favorite add-ins for oat bran bowls, mmmm :-D

lindsay January 30, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I think those are your pregnant oats. Same cravings maybe?

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Lindsay,
The same thing happened during the 2nd trimester of my first pregnancy. Could not get enough PB cups into my belly! :)

Emily @LivingLongfellow January 30, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Yes, I love chocolate in my oats. I put Christmas mint chocolate into mine and they were so amazingly delicious.

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Emily,
Well, if CD hadn’t found my stash of Andes mints, I would so be trying that combo for breakfast tomorrow! ;)

Erika - The Teenage Taste January 30, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Never tried PB Cups in oatmeal before, but I must say that a fun-sized Butterfinger bar crushed into a warm bowl of oats is pure bliss! :-)

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Erika,
I’m sure it is – been years since I had a Butterfinger, but now I want one. Must buy some soon and eat atop oats!

Kath January 30, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Haha – those look wonderful!!

Lou January 30, 2012 at 7:17 pm

oooo yeah, love the brewers yeast in there too, Yummo.

Mama Pea January 30, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Do you have a TJ’s nearby or can I send you some more PB cups? I don’t want you digging too far back into that Christmas candy stash. Only the best for the babies! ;)

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Thanks Mama Pea! Yeah, there’s a TJ’s less than three miles from my house. I’m just lazy, but you are right, only the best for the babes. Must make a trip there soon. :)

Monica January 30, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Haha, love the cravings! And Christmas candy that has lasted well into the new year?!? That is impressive!

Hope you are feeling great! :)

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Thanks Monica. Feeling better every week. :)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli January 30, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Haha, I just threw a Reese’s pumpkin into my bowl of oats the other day…hmm, although I don’t have pregnancy to use as an excuse for that one… ;)

Hope you are doing well sweetie! BB and I made a quick trip to Nashville yesterday and stopped by Sweet CeCe’s…couldn’t help but think of you! I get off earlier next week…around 3. Maybe we could meet up for their BOGO deal?

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Heather,
Would love a Sweet CeCe’s date. Just email me whenever you’ll be in town. Can’t wait to catch up!

Alyssa January 30, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Yum! Yum Yum Yummy!!!!
I will also happily send you more PB cups if there’s no TJs nearby!

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Thanks Alyssa,
We have a TJ’s nearby – digging through my freezer was just a lot easier. Hehe. Thanks for the offer!

Natalie January 30, 2012 at 8:50 pm

this post is hilarious!! :)
I think you might need these (or the babies might!):
http://pinterest.com/pin/153403931027103352/ (hopefully the link works!)

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Oh wow, thanks Natalie. The link worked, and yeah, I need those. :)

Cherie January 30, 2012 at 9:35 pm

You’re killing me!! I craved Greek spinach pie and egg drop soup with our twins (poor hubby always came through for me). I like yours better!

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Cherie,
Aren’t hubbies the best…although I think CD is getting a little weirded out by some of my foods. Some of my combos have been a little too crazy – even for me!

Lindsay @ Salt, Sun & Sanity January 30, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I’m completely in love with those Reese’s holiday shapes! Aren’t they 27x better than regular peanut butter cups? I’m pretty sure the magic is in the pb-to-chocolate ratio ;)

HEAB January 30, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Lindsay,
haha, yes, so much better. Definitely a bigger portion of PB in the holiday shapes, and that makes me very happy!

Holly January 30, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Heather, the twins consignment sale is April 13-14 at Calvary United Methodist Church in Green Hills. It’s through POTATO (parents of twins & triplets). Hokey name, helpful sale… I also have a double snap-n-go stroller that you’re welcome to borrow, if you’d like. It’s just the frame that you snap the infant seats into. For whatever reason, choosing a stroller was really overwhelming to me, since there are almost no double strollers for 0-6 month olds.

HEAB January 31, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Holly,
Thanks so much the info. My doctor actually told me about POTATO, and I’ve been meaning to check out a meeting. Still feeling kind of sick at night though, but I have their March meeting written in my planner and hope to be there. Also hope to be at the sale! Oh, and I’m emailing you about the stroller. :)

Laura @ She Eats Well January 30, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Um, finding candy in the back of the freezer you didn’t know you had is pretty much like finding a $20 bill in your pocket. At least in my world, it is. It’s the little things… :)

HEAB January 31, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Laura,
Haha – agreed! :)

Amelia @ Eating Made Easy January 31, 2012 at 1:11 am

Isn’t oat bran the best? I mean, not the best like peanut butter cups of course, but as far as fibrous, oaty, branny things go – it’s so good and creamy! Excited to try your combos.

HEAB January 31, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Amelia,
Yes, it’s definitely my favorite hot grain. Nothing like a creamy thick bowl of oat bran! :)

Hannah January 31, 2012 at 4:10 am

And when you live somewhere where these things don’t exist, Lindt 85% and peanut butter blobbed on top do just fine :)

HEAB January 31, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Hannah,
That definitely works. :)

tracey January 31, 2012 at 10:40 am

Those look delightful!!! I go in phases with peanut butter- right now I’m in one:)
Finally tried Kerrygold Butter- didn’t know what I was missing!

HEAB January 31, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Tracey,
Me too. Actually I’ve been in a PB phase for quite some time. Don’t tell the almond butter, but I think PB is my favorite. :)
And so happy to hear you tried Kerrygold. THE BEST!

Amiee January 31, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Sounds very yummy! Can I ask a silly question? Where do you buy the oat bran? I was looking all over the grocery store this weekend and couldn’t find it to save my life. Congrats on the baby news, very exciting. :)

HEAB January 31, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Amiee,
Not a silly question at all. I can easily find oat bran here in Nashville but sometimes have a hard time finding it when we travel. I actually buy mine in bulk off Amazon as it saves us some money. I love Bob’s Red Mill and Quaker Oat’s. Hope you find some soon, and thanks for the congrats! :)