I Ate A Vegetable

by HEAB on February 1, 2012

I have not eaten anything green in months.  Just like during my first pregnancy, I’ve craved chicken and cheese, and when my sweet tooth pays a visit, I want chocolate and peanut butter.  My usual dinner of stir-fried veggies?  Ugh, can’t think about it without gagging.  Honestly, the only vegetable I’ve eaten is a potato, usually fried and salted.  However, I seemed to have turned a corner this week and managed to get in some greens.  In fact, I cannot stop eating the above bowl.

My new favorite lunch contains 1/2 cup quinoa cooked in the rice cooker with 1 cup chicken broth and 1 cup water.  As soon as it’s done cooking, I stir in 1 TBSP Kerrygold butter and a handful of spinach.  While the butter melts, I chop leftover grilled chicken or a cooked turkey burger and add that to my bowl along with a spoonful of Brewer’s yeast.  The salty broth flavored quinoa coated with melted butter is so good, and the Brewer’s yeast adds such a nice flavor.

Several of you have asked about Brewer’s yeast.  I started eating it back when I was breastfeeding as it’s thought to increase milk supply in nursing moms.  It’s an inactive yeast leftover from the beer brewing process and has a slightly bitter nutty taste. I love it and sprinkle it on everything from oats (sweet or savory) to eggs to veggies…when I’m eating them anyway.  It’s also great in Oaties!  Brewer’s yeast is a good source of B-complex vitamins, chromium, selenium, and protein, and this is my favorite brand.  It’s similar to nutritional yeast, but I actually prefer the taste of the Brewer’s.  Plus it’s not as messy – not a fan of those dusty nooch flakes.

If I remember correctly,  last time around my love of veggies returned towards the end of my 2nd trimester.  We shall see…

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 1, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Don’t tell Tony about the Kerry Gold in the quinoa at the end! I’ve been using the not chickn broth and he loves it…if you tell him this he will demand it. He totally grabs on to your bits of genius with that stuff! I would say you have some brains forming inside of you with all that protein. Spinach is good though! Now I need to get my hands on some brewer’s yeast! I’m glad you’re feeling a bit better. I would say enjoy eating now whatever you can. With two in there, I imagine room for food with be less than plentiful later on.

PS, I’m still craving cold bean burritos…I blame you! I was hoping it would go away! Good think I know there’s no bun in the oven or Tony would get suspicious!

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Sarena,
Make yourself some cold bean burritos! Have you ever tried TJ’s refried beans with salsa? I think they would work great rolled up in some corn tortillas with melted Daiya.

Oh, and make the buttery quinoa for Tony one night – surprise him after a rough day. He’ll love you forever. ;)

meghan @ struggle muffins February 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Oh my my, that bowl of quinoa-y, buttery, chickeny, yeasty goodness is making me drool. What a perfect mixture of things!

I’m super late to the party here but just wanted to say congrats on your good news, soo…CONGRATS! :_

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Thanks so much Meghan. :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 1, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I remember when I was pregnant, the 1st tri, and most of the 2nd…all I could think about was Saltines, pizza (crust!), or white bread or white crackers. It was the only thing I could keep down and had any interest in eating…definitely nothing fresh, raw, or green. By the time my interest returned, I was about 38 weeks :) Seriously had so little interest in fresh/raw produce, which is not normal for me. Glad your greenery appetite returned.

I just bought more KG butter yesterday with a coupon…such a treat that stuff!

Cara February 1, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Good for you for getting down the quinoa! At the beginning of my pregnancy, I swear the only things I could eat were In ‘N Out milkshakes and fries (I was being encouraged to gain weight for the twin pregnancy so I took it to heart! ;) ). It’s funny how the healthy stuff just doesn’t sound appetizing AT ALL. Hope you’re feeling well!

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Cara,
I know – I told my husband now that I’m feeling better, Operation Weight Gain starts now. I lost weight during my first trimester and need to start putting on some poundage. Sadly enough, Nashville is no where near an In ‘N Out as I hear they have the best burgers and shakes. However, I’m sure I can find a good substitute.
P.S. Loved your post re. pink princess overload. When others ask me about buying clothes for my daughter, I have two rules I for them: no pink, no words – like “Mommy’s Princess” (gag), and nothing cat themed. Oops, I guess I have three rules. ;)

robyn jones clark February 1, 2012 at 10:50 pm

this looks so yummy. :)

Samantha February 1, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Better than nooch? Must see if the commissary has it! Hats off to you, I am not a fan of cooked greens unless its in something like quiche. Try this recipe, I made quesadillas with it last night and both my kids came back for ends (one for thirds!) http://www.onceuponacuttingboard.com/2012/01/southwest-sweet-potato-dip.html

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Sam,
Yes, I prefer the Brewer’s – good stuff! That sweet potato dip looks GOOD. However, I cannot eat garlic at this point in time…and usually I love it. Very sad for me. Hopefully, it will be back in the rotation soon! :)

katie @KatieDid February 1, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I find cravings and aversions fascinating to read about for some reason! I just can’t imagine what a strong aversion to something you once loved feels like since I’ve never felt that and I’m very rarely nauseous. Glad you’re slowly working those veggies back in!

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Katie,
It’s crazy, and I’ve never experienced anything like it. Foods I usually love make me want to gag. I even have a hard time drinking water. Ready to feel like my old self again soon, and hopefully that is right around the corner.

Tangy February 1, 2012 at 10:59 pm

That quinoa dish sounds really yummy! I have had some in the cabinet for a long time, but not as long as the rice cooker still in the box from my wedding shower 7 years ago…ooops ;) Good reason to use both of them!

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Tangy,
Yes, time to cook yourself some quinoa…but you might want to buy a new bag. It can spoil easily. However, I bet the rice cooker is still in good shape! :)

Katie February 1, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Moms growing fetuses need protein and fat. I am teaching the metabolism/nutrition section of vertebrate physiology and just gave my lecture on what an energetically demanding process it is – in terms of ATP and how it is made in your cells, not just in reproductive cells but all of them. (I am a nerd. Yes, I know.) Eat that chicken!

And your body converts the fat to ATP much faster. Eat some more butter!

Why not slather the chicken in some butter too? YUM. ;)

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Katie,
Ha – you sound like CD. He’s trying to get me to slather butter on everything. Again, you know I love your nerdy side. Keep the random facts coming!

Stephanie February 1, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Catching up on your blog today and I wanted to say “Congratulations on the pregnancy and twins!” Such an exciting and wonderful blessing. Hopefully your appetite gets back to normal soon. I remember only wanting pizza and bagels with lots of cream cheese during the first trimester of this pregnancy and I also remember the glorious feeling of finding all the things that normally appealed to me appealing again.

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Thanks so much Stephanie. I went through a pizza phase those first few weeks and then overate it one night, and I haven’t eaten any since. Not missing it yet, but who knows? I’ll probably be craving it next week! ;)

Mama Pea February 1, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Ashley and I were talking about your Brewer’s yeast this weekend and now we both want to try it! Maybe it will give me fuller breasts too? Here’s to hoping.

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Mama Pea,
You never know – definitely worth a shot! ;)

Laura @ She Eats Well February 2, 2012 at 12:40 am

You inspired me, a while back, to try nutritional yeast. And I loved it, instantly. And now I am totally curious about Brewers Yeast. And I love quinoa bowls. Quinoa can adapt to lots of different flavors and goes with pretty much any veggie. Yum!

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Laura,
Try the Brewer’s if you get a chance. My favorite! :)

j3nn February 2, 2012 at 1:32 am

Is it time for the annual Kerrygold run yet?! :D I think I may need to try Brewer’s yeast; I’m a huge fan of nutritional yeast, hopefully I’ll like that too.

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Jenn,
Believe it or not, we’re still working on the Buttermyd…not much more to go, and just in time for St. Patrick’s Day at our Costco. That’s the only time of the year they carry Kerrygold!

And yes, try the Brewer’s yeast. I think you would love it. :)

STUFT Mama February 2, 2012 at 1:45 am

That bowl sounds amazing. I think I have to copy it. I used to eat Brewer’s Yeast in pill form because someone told me it would give my thicker longer hair. Ha ha. I may have to revisit it in the powder form.

Eden February 2, 2012 at 2:10 am

I personally love Brewers yeast. There’s this Israeli packaged snack (called Bissli, I think you can order it on amazon) that has brewers yeast as a seasoning. SO good! I’ve actually been eating more gelatin lately too and i must say my hair and nails have never been stronger!

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Eden, Bissli, huh? I must look into this. :)

lindsay February 2, 2012 at 3:11 am

I started eating brewer’s yeast for the amino acid profile and the iron. I sure hope i don’t start lactating. jk. Love the green. you know what you need?
Steamed collard greens stuffed with eggs, marmite, tahini, and brown rice or quinoa.

there a green for ya!

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Lindsay,
Not quite there yet – for some reason, Marmite just doesn’t sound good right now. Nor does tahini really. Ugh, who am I?!?

Lou February 2, 2012 at 5:01 am

mmm yes, you know I like the B.Yeast!

Pregnancy eating is such a funny thing… it’s a real test in listening to your body… not just trying to eat what you think you SHOULD be eating (like me going back to eating meat… I NEEDED it, so I craved it, so I ate it).

I got back into veggies in a huge way in my 3rd trimester, I was seriously eating troughs of steamed veggies with nutritional yeast, tahini and salt. Yummo.

Eat up, Mama, you got 2 little mouths to feed this time round!

Melissa February 2, 2012 at 8:53 am

Isn’t it crazy how you can be turned off by things you always loved and craved? So proud of you for just going with it. You are doing amazing and I can’t wait to hear more about this second pregnancy. Do you find yourself hungrier knowing there are two beans growing?

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Lissa,
This pregnancy has been EXACTLY the same as my first. I still don’t get very hungry, especially in the evenings. I think with my first, I was able to eat a lot more towards the end of my 2nd and definitely during my third trimesters. So, expecting more of an appetite soon I hope.

Jessica@Fruit and Veggie Tales February 2, 2012 at 10:14 am

I completely understand! I can’t stomach the thought of veggies right now either! Thank goodness for green lemonade and green smoothies, otherwise I would be veggie-less! I have actually been craving things like Taco Bell and Digiornos pizza which I haven’t had in years and I couldn’t possibly eat now! It would probably kill me, lol, can’t have gluten OR dairy so the cravings are just awful! Hope it gets better soon!!!

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Jessica,
It will. I’ve been craving taco bell as well and just made some really good enchiladas tonight. CD and I ate the entire dish! I’ll post the recipe soon. It does contain some dairy, but I’m sure you could sub other ingredients, and I used corn tortillas. So, no gluten. :)

Felicia February 2, 2012 at 10:22 am

I just ordered brewers yeast yesterday! Very excited to try it :) And kerry gold is the best butter, ever.

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Felicia,
Oh good – hope you like it. If not, I’ll gladly take it off your hands. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog February 2, 2012 at 10:53 am

That bowl sounds perfectly delicious. My lunch for the last few days has been quinoa (cooked in chicken broth, the best!, with coconut oil stirred in at the end), sprouted lentils, leftover roasted broccoli, and either dino kale or red chard with a hefty pour of tahini. I just added brewers yeast to my shopping list… I need to see what all the fuss is about. ;)

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Christin,
I think you will love it, and then I think you should develop a chickpea cookie recipe with Brewer’s yeast. I now add it to all my Oaties – my secret ingredient. Just 2 TBSP – but it adds this certain flavor that everyone seems to love.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 2, 2012 at 11:29 am

I’m sure you eat enough veggies the rest of the time to balance it out. And just the description of your lunch is enough to make my mouth water! I keep reading about how wonderful rice cookers are and have been resisting the urge to buy one (because I have so many small appliances in my kitchen already!). But, the more I see them pop up on blogs, the more I want one!

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Lauren,
I bought my rice cooker over 10 years ago – it’s a cheap one from Target. I think I paid about $20 for it and use it all the time. Cook all my grains in it – makes things so easy!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 2, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I’ve been the same way! I used to have a HUGE bowl of veggies at least once a day..and now I’ll maybe have a sweet potato here and there. :/

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Mary,
Veggies are totally overrated. ;)

Lara February 2, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Way to go, Heabie! When I’m not feeling well, even a chicken breast won’t fly. I haven’t tried brewer’s yeast, but this meal overall sounds pretty good! I think it’s the butter that makes it, right? :)

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Lara,
Totally the butter. :)

laura February 2, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Ha! I remember the no vegetables in the beginning of my pregnancy.. thank goodness that is over! My new lunch obsession- roasted brussels sliced thin baked with nutritional yeasted and a sweet potato slathered with nut butter, butter, and raisins. I’m sure it will be something else next week- ha!

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Laura,
Not quite there yet…hopefully in a month or so. :)

Sami February 2, 2012 at 3:08 pm

first of all, the previous post = love.

secondly, i think i found your twin:

xo.

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Sami,
Haha, yes, I can see the resemblance. Too funny.

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen February 2, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I tend to make the same concoction as above only without the meat. The butter somehow turns from a complement into a the main ingredient. Can’t get enough!

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Aylin,
I know – the butter makes this bowl!

Heather February 2, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Hello, Heather! I haven’t commented in ages (largely because I’ve been caring for my new little one), but I had to comment that your food desires lately so exactly mirrored mine for the first trimester of both my pregnancies that I laughed. My favorite veggies were the enemy, too. I’m happy to hear you’re finally enjoying some of your other favorite foods again and congrats on the twins! Such blessings.

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Heather,
Congrats to you! So happy to hear you’re enjoying your new little one. I’m looking forward to those newborn snuggle sessions so much!
P.S. Veggies are totally overrated. ;)

elizabeth @ the kitchen counsel February 2, 2012 at 7:09 pm

this looks like a fantastic lunch. i love quinoa. but i also love cheese. a lot. however, i can’t use pregnancy as an excuse.

HEAB February 2, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Elizabeth,
That’s okay. If it makes you feel any better, I’ve been tempted to stick a straw directly in the bowl of queso dip…and that’s when I’m NOT pregnant. ;)

{ 1 trackback }