I Cannot Stop Eating…

by HEAB on February 2, 2012

Macaroni & cheese.  I present to you my breakfast this morning…

Leftover rice pasta macaroni and cheese with a chicken apple sausage (another favorite these days) and topped with lots of pepper.  One of my favorite dinners growing up was Kraft shells and cheese + a hot dog, and the above meal brings back so many memories.  Why I don’t eat mac & cheese more often, I have no idea.  Isn’t it the best?  Oh, and when cooking any boxed mac & cheese with powdered cheese, skip the milk and add 1/2 cup whole milk yogurt + 2 TBSP butter instead.  It’s much better that way.  So creamy!

Another winner this week?

Christin’s Peanut Butter Explosion Chickpea Cookies. In fact, I just finished off the batch today, and I’m quite sad about it. I had no peanut flour and subbed coconut flour.  It worked great – just had to add a little more almond milk, and instead of peanuts, I added toasted walnuts.  Oh, and I skipped the honey too as the batter tasted sweet enough with just the stevia, and trust me, I did lots of batter sampling. :)

Julie February 2, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I’m on a chicken sausage kick too!! I get mine from Trader Joe’s, and I did the chicken apple one’s last week. This week i’m on chicken spinach! Lastly, I haven’t had macaroni and cheese in so long and it looks tasty!!! I’m thinking I need to buy some. :)

Lara February 2, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Ah, mac and cheese. One of my favorite foods right now, too :) And yes! Black pepper makes it so much better!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 2, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I have not had mac and cheese in FOREVER! I think I now need to fix that! YUM!

kathleen @ the daily crumb February 2, 2012 at 9:34 pm

that mac n cheese tip sounds amazing!!

Sarah Condon February 2, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Get it, Mama!

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 2, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Mac ‘n cheese is the best!

j3nn February 2, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I love Annie’s rice pasta mac + cheese. I also love Road’s End gluten and dairy-free mac ‘n cheese, it’s so delish, especially the alfredo! It’s basically flavored nutritional yeast, but I buy it by the case from Amazon which is cheap and convenient.

I’m looking at the chips in those cookies… Mmm!

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 11:59 am

Jenn,
I’ve never heard of Road’s End – will have to find some on Amazon. Thanks for the tip! :)

Katie February 2, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Some people ate ramen in college. Kraft mac and cheese was my ramen. I ate so much of it that I couldn’t look at it for years after graduating. I still don’t like to eat it, but the smell gets me every time.

With hot dogs, broccoli and salsa. Try it.

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Katie,
Can’t do the broccoli quite yet, but I’ll keep that combo in mind for the future. :)

Joelle (on a pink typewriter) February 2, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I’m not pregnant, but that sounds aaaaamazing! I used to adore mac and cheese in hs, and haven’t had some in ages. Maybe it’s about time!

Pure2raw twins February 2, 2012 at 10:35 pm

your breakfast looks great! as does those cookies!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) February 2, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Mmmmmmmmm chickpea cookies. I bet those were delicious…and your twins loved them, too.

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Victoria,
They were. All three of us loved them! :)

jennifer February 2, 2012 at 10:58 pm

so funny! my first child was MADE of that exact meal. I ate a box of that stuff every other day when I was pregnant. its just the perfect thing.

for some reason, our fancy “treat” dinner when we were kids and got to cook ourselves was mac and cheese with hot dogs and green peppers and cherry tomatoes. its magically delicious! chicken sausage is way better. i also add lots of jalapeños now too.

congrats on the bambinos! we had number two a year ago and its SO much more fun the second, if you can even imagine that. its just so relaxing and not scary and you will be amazed at your superpowers of juggling it all.

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Thanks so much for the encouragement Jennifer. As excited as I am, I do get a little nervous about having 3 kids under the age of 2, but I know we’ll manage. And yes, mac & cheese really is perfect. Absolutely perfect. Loved your “fancy” version.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 2, 2012 at 11:28 pm

The cookies look so good. I still have never tried beans in cookies or brownies or anything sweet but you may have me convinced.

And mac ‘n cheese…along with the white carbs like pizza crust and saltine crackers, I ate mac ‘n cheese like crazy my 1st tri. And honestly, today is Skylar’s 5th bday and I dont think I’ve had it once since. It’s so not my kinda thing…but it was the only thing I wanted back then!

Burnsy February 2, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Averie – I found a recipe for Black Bean Brownies awhile back that is absolutely amazing! Especially with a little vanilla ice cream. :) If you ever had the Brownie Obsession from Friday’s, it tastes like that without the gut-ball an hour later. If you are interested I’ll send it your way. I made if for my family of boys one night and didn’t tell them what the ingredients were and they went on and on about how incredible they were. :)

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Averie,
I have to say Christin’s cookies are the BEST chickpea desserts I’ve tried thus far, especially these PB ones. I think you would love them.

Burnsy February 2, 2012 at 11:47 pm

If you like cheesy mac and cheese (and OH! how I love cheese!) add some freshly grated cheddar, stir it until it melts and it is like a party in your mouth. When I was pregnant this last round I ate nothing but eggs (mostly denver sandwiches) for the first trimester. It was pretty much the only thing I cooked. I had no desire to be in the kitchen and every afternoon it would hit me like inspiration where I wanted to eat out that night. Then of course after the first trimester I couldn’t stomach eggs again until after I had the little critter. At least you are eating my dear! If I wasn’t eating eggs I wasn’t eating at all – didn’t gain a pound until about 20 weeks.

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Burnsy,
So funny. I went through an egg phase too but wasn’t as intense as yours. They didn’t sound good for a few weeks, but I think I could go for some now. Need to pick some up soon…and of course I’ll eat them with cheese! :)

Meagan February 2, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Chicken maple apple sausage is MY FAVORITE flavor. SO good. I love how unprocessed it is too!

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Meagan,
Yeah, that’s a good one! Can’t beat a good savory sweet combo.

Mama Pea February 3, 2012 at 12:00 am

Have you tried the Trader Joe’s GF mac and cheese? It’s quite good! The noodles aren’t rubbery at all!

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Mama Pea,
Good to know b/c I just bought 4 boxes! :)

STUFT Mama February 3, 2012 at 2:04 am

Ahh… Mac and cheese. I ate the Annie’s whole grain one like it was going out of style when I was pregnant. :) Never thought to add chicken apple sausage though. And I’ve been meaning to make Christin’s cookies. They look and sound delish. hugs!

Erika bryant February 3, 2012 at 7:37 am

I make this mac and cheese for my girls. I will scoop some out for me and put in a ramakin and add buffalo sauce and put a slice of pepper jack cheese on top and put in the broiler. So yummy. I also add half and half to the mac and cheese plus a couple of slices of white american cheese. I know it’s a processed but it makes it extra creamy.

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Erika,
I like your little ramekin idea, but I think I’d rather have it in a large bowl. :) Good call on the half and half too. I need to try that or heavy cream.

katie @KatieDid February 3, 2012 at 7:48 am

I still have a box of that annies sitting in my cupboard that I’ve yet to use. Thinking of sending it your way. Then again I’m sort of digging this mac n cheese n chicken sausage deal you have here.

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Katie,
Oh my gosh, you must try it. My favorite combo lately.

Greta @ Staying Lost February 3, 2012 at 9:14 am

Maybe I’m crazy, but mac and cheese for breakfast sounds pretty good to me. :) I love chicken sausages with lots of garlic in them.

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Greta,
Not crazy at all in my opinion. :)

Mallory February 3, 2012 at 11:11 am

“Kraft shells and cheese + a hot dog, and the above meal brings back so many memories.”

haha someone asked me the other day what my final meal on death row would be(odd i know lol) and this was my answer. my momma made this all the time! or, kraft mac n cheese with ground beef….prolly still my fav foods!

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Mallory, I’ve been asked that same question, and I have a feeling my answer probably involved cheese and some sort of ice-cream. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog February 3, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I am so stoked that you love the chickpea cookies so much! I might take a stab at the chocolate mint this weekend… I’ll definitely keep you posted! ;)

I picked up a pack of bison hot dogs at Costco a while back, and they were the perfect mac-and-cheese companion. Such a great combo! Another favorite of mine is hot dogs in scrambled eggs. My dad used to make me that when I was a kid.

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Christin,
Yes, I remember your bison dogs but never saw them at my Costco. I should put in a request!

TeenyLittleSuperChef February 3, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I don’t care how old one gets, mac and cheese will forever be a winner. I’ve tried the gourmet stuff using real fancy cheeses but I still think Kraft’s kind with the powdered “cheese” is by far the best ever. There’s just something about biting into a big chunk of the powder that didn’t get blended in well enough, that takes me back to my childhood. I guess I’m just a simple soul with her simple bowl of orange-y goopy noodles.

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Teeny,
Ha, good to know I’m not alone – love those goopy balls of powdery cheese!

Joss February 3, 2012 at 4:12 pm

mmm mac n cheese + weeners…can’t beat it :D

Alaina February 3, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I love mixing Greek yogurt into my mac and cheese! And I love to put hot dogs and corn into the mix. With pepper! Great meal. :-)

Clementine February 3, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Oh man, mac n cheese is irresistible – when I do indulge, I usually go with Annie’s too, somehow makes me feel slightly less guilty after dominating the box. My ultimate favorite though, is Stouffer’s: my mom was pretty strict about me eating only organic whole foods when I was growing up, and while I’m thankful for that now, as a little kid I wanted the ‘junk’. Anways, when I would spend the night with my grandma she would get the Stouffer’s and cook it in the oven very slowly, and my favorite part were the areas around the edge that got aaaaaalmost burnt – so good with the ooey gooey cheesy glory. Drool.

Thanks for the post, I’m eating vicariously through you!!

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Clementine,
I don’t think I’ve ever had Stouffer’s Mac & Cheese…and I know I think I need to try it. Looking forward to some of those crispy edges! :)

Kilee February 3, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I used to eat Kraft Mac & Cheese as a kid and then, Annie’s gluten-free version when I found out that I needed to avoid wheat products. However, it’s been on my avoid food list lately because the calories are pretty high and I cannot keep my portion size to the itty-bitty serving size recommendation. However, if I were pregnant with twins, I would be eating it a lot more ;)

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Kilee,
I know, the box says 2.5 servings. It’s one big lie.

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple February 3, 2012 at 9:07 pm

There’s something about macaroni and cheese when you are pregnant. It’s gotta be the carbs and the fat. I mean, I’m finally up for eating vegetables again (at least, before I caught this cold, now I can’t taste them so I don’t want them). Or toast with cheese. Or anything with cheese, really. No wonder my son likes cheese. I think his baby brother will too. Maybe I need to start hitting the broccoli and kale again.

And peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. That’s what I’ve been eating. My version of your mac and cheese tonight is going to be cheese quesadillas.

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Marcia,
I craved cheese like crazy last pregnancy, and Summer loves it too. :)

Alex @ Raw Recovery February 3, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I have to say the concept of chickpea cookies is intriguing, although a little…frightening? I don’t mean that in a bad way! I’ve just never tried chickpeas in cookies but I guess they’d be high in protein, right? Hope you are doing well, Heather!

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Alex,
I’ve tried chickpeas in several dessert recipes, and these cookies are by far my favorite. Nothing to fear – I promise!

Marty February 3, 2012 at 10:30 pm

OH my! Mac’n'cheese’pleeze! Not made it in a while, but I’m trying these chickpea PB cookies first! May add the walnuts like you as I’m out of any chips. Thank you for the treats! Xo

Doris @ vanillacocoberry February 4, 2012 at 1:59 am

Whenever I am in the US I have to ship over an entire package with mac n cheese in it because my parents love it so much!! We dont get the prepackaged kind over here in Austria which is quite sad :(
Never tried it with yoghurt before, but I will pass on the word! xo
Thanks!
and we need more pics of your baby belly!!!!!

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Doris,
Yeah, I need to take some more belly shots. I always forget. Soon, I promise. :)
P.S. You’re a good daughter. :)

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness February 4, 2012 at 7:51 am

One of my favorite meals lately is mac&cheese, chicken sausage and roasted broccoli and sometimes if I’m feeling crazy I’ll add in some spoonfulls of rotel spicy tomatoes. Yumm!

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Jen,
Another commenter mentioned that exact same combo – she ate it with salsa, and as soon as I’m loving broccoli again, I will try it! :)

Kerry @ Totes My Oats February 4, 2012 at 9:27 am

Mac and Cheese! The ultimate comfort food – just seeing that picture makes me happy… but sort of sad because I’m not eating it right now!

Kylee February 4, 2012 at 9:42 am

I love adding butter or tahini to my mac and cheese. A quick and comforting meal.

I’m actually on a tahini kick. A time-saving snack for me while on the job is a smoothie: protein powder or yogurt, almond milk, 2 TBSP tahini, rolled oats (1/3 – 1/2 cup), and a banana. The tahini takes it to another level.

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Kylee,
Tahini is by far one of my favorite nut/seed butters, but I never want it when I’m pregnant. Will have to remember to add it to mac & cheese and try your smoothie when I’m craving it again.

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen February 4, 2012 at 11:04 am

No gourmet mac and cheese can beat the store-bought brand — it’s simply a classic off the shelf!

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Aylin,
I agree – nothing like the boxed stuff!

Anita February 4, 2012 at 11:22 am

Go Team Heather Go !

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl February 4, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Would you believe I’ve never had chicken sausage?! Looks delish!

HEAB February 4, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Michele,
No, you must try. Quite delish. :)

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl February 4, 2012 at 12:33 pm