Our New Favorite Dinner

by HEAB on February 6, 2012

CD and I have eaten enchiladas three times over the past couple of weeks…and he doesn’t even really like Mexican food.  So, that’s saying a lot about this meal.  It all started when I tried Jenna’s Chicken enchiladas, and then I tried Kristin’s idea of using Trader Joe’s boxed Organic Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup instead of enchilada sauce.  Good call Kristin!  We loved the enchiladas with the soup, and the soup ingredients are better than any canned enchilada sauce I’ve seen.  So, thanks to Jenna and Kristen for inspiring the follow quick, easy, and delicious recipe!

Beef enchiladas make for a very happy belly. :)

Laura @ She Eats Well February 6, 2012 at 2:30 pm

You look glowing and healthy!

I just have to say that the TJ’s Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper soup is my absolute favorite. I love to have a big bowl, with some sauteed spinach (in earth balance) added in, along with some dried oregano and basil…and a grilled cheese on the side. You can add a lot to that soup to spice (pun intended) it up. Love the enchilada idea too!

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Laura, that sounds amazing, and I think you might like these: http://pinterest.com/pin/21181060716992231/. Dying to try them myself!

JessicaE February 6, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Its so fun that we are both 16 weeks along!! And those look great and SO simple! My Husband works a night job so I always have a meal waiting for him when he gets home… from a tired, head achy pregnant gal, recipes like this are a lifesaver! :)

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Jessica,
Yes, I love it! Hope you’re feeling well, and that you’re able to get some cooking in. Honestly, other than the enchiladas and a lasagna here and there, I’ve really been skimping on dinners. Just not into it these days…unless we’re talking mac & cheese. ;)

Amelia February 6, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I love how happy you look! :) SO beautiful.

Then enchiladas look divine. What a great idea to add the TJ’s soup instead of enchilada sauce! I would need to add a lot of guac to mine, although I’m not sure if that is something that sounds good to you at this stage in pregnancy right now.

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Amelia,
Guac will always be a constant in my life. :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 6, 2012 at 3:10 pm

You look awewsome as I said on Instagram to you. You and Kath will probably end up delivering about the same time since I’ve read twins tend to be early. Wow…so many babies in bloggie world!

And you’re cooking. Like real dinners and real food. Pass the Saltines was about all I could say at 16 weeks :)

Ashley February 6, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Just had to tell you that my good friend [also a Heather!] had twin boys on the 2nd! She’s a first time mom and the boys were 4lb 8oz and 4lb 11oz, both doing really well. They were born right around 36 weeks. :) She doesn’t have an update on the blog yet, but I’m sure she will sometime soon. http://girlbytheseashore.wordpress.com/

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Ashley, Thanks so much as I’m obsessed with reading about twin birth stories lately. Many congrats to Heather. Will you be taking any newborn photos? :)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate February 6, 2012 at 3:28 pm

You look great! Sidenote– I love that sweater :-)

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Thanks Anna! The sweater is about ten years old – from J. Crew. I love it too. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 6, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Aren’t her enchiladas amazing???!!! Yum! You are absolutely beautiful! Pregnancy definitely treats you well!

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Sarena,
Yes, amazing, and the soup was so much better than the enchilada sauce we tried the first time I made them.

Erica February 6, 2012 at 3:51 pm

SO fabulous. You look adorable. I am THRILLED for you :) . And enchiladas are incredible. We have them on the menu this week. Probably turkey or chicken

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Erica,
I told CD I wanted to babymoon in Charleston. So, you better bake an extra batch of enchiladas! Haha, not sure if we’ll get there or not, but I really want to go somewhere warm before my travel is limited starting in April.

Katie February 6, 2012 at 3:54 pm

CONGRATS! I missed this announcement post somehow! I am so happy for you guys! How sweet your daughter will be a big sister!

I swear It seems everyone is pregnant right now in blog land! So exciting! <3

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Thanks Katie! Summer is going to be a big sis x 2 as we’re expecting twins in July, and yes, so many bloggers are expecting. Makes me happy. :)

Lorne February 6, 2012 at 4:24 pm

You are looking well Heather (hope you feel as good as you look).

Blessings
Lorne

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Thanks Lorne. Hope all is going well with you guys. I’m feeling much better these days. Still not a 100%, but the worst is definitely over!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama February 6, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Im so excited to try this as that is one of our favorite soups! Yum.

You look fantastic–thanks for sharing a belly pic! :-)

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Thanks Mary!

Jen {The Wholehearted Life} February 6, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Ok – that looks and sounds absolutely amazing.

And oh my goodness….huge congratulations to you!!!!!! I have twin nephews and they are an absolute blast :) .

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Thanks Jen,
I’ve only heard good things about having twins – makes me so happy. :)

Bid February 6, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Look at that cute little baby belly…
Prettiest baby mama ever…

;-)

dinner looks good too…

katie @KatieDid February 6, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Mmmmm love some enchiladas! And what an awesome idea with the soup- a chili over enchiladas would be amazing too I think. You look so happy :)

Sarah (I Dream of Beets) February 6, 2012 at 5:47 pm

You look so happy and healthy! And the recipe looks darn good too.

I wonder if you feel different carrying twins that just one? Gah, twins! My boyfriend is only up for 2 children, so I told him I plan on having twins my second pregnancy:)

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Sarah,
I like your plan. :) Thus far, this pregnancy has felt the exact same as my first. The first trimester was tough – same nausea, cravings, food aversions, etc. With Summer I started feeling better right about 15 or 16 weeks, which is where I am now. Still not feeling 100%, but definitely getting there.

Natalie February 6, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Heather- I made my own version of chicken enchiladas last night for the first time. Thy were very good! Yours look and sound delicious too! I never realized how quick and easy they are to make. I will definitely be making them again soon!

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Natalie,
I didn’t either – such an easy recipe, and they will definitely be making a regular appearance at our dinner table from now on!

RunEatRepeat February 6, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Just catching up! Congratulations :)

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Thanks Monica! :)

Mama Pea February 6, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Could you BE any cuter? Does Summer know what’s cooking in there? :)

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Mama Pea,
Thank you and nope, I often point to my belly and say “baby”…but all she sees is belly button. She’s obsessed with belly buttons. :)

Shelby February 6, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Looks like I’ll be making a 4th trip to Trader Joe’s in 5 days ;)

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Shelby,
A nice walk in good weather ending at TJ’s? Sounds good to me! Enjoy. :)

teabagginit February 6, 2012 at 8:51 pm

i’ve been making tamale – enchilada casseroles with enchilada sauce but instead of tortillas, i make a grain free corn flour layer that tastes like the tamale base! sooooo good!

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Teabag,
Now that sounds amazing!

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple February 6, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Wow, those look delicious! So easy too!

Ameena February 6, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I love that soup…never thought to use it anyway but as a soup! Great idea.

You look fantastic Heather. I wish I had some of your calmness…send me your extras please. :)

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Thanks Ameena, and sending calmness vibes your way. :)

Burnsy February 6, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I’m not pregnant! And totally good with it (but thrilled for all you ladies that are!) :) I had to laugh about everyone in blog world being pregnant. The idea at the moment scares me to death! The other scary thing is that there is no Trader Joe’s in Utah! Last time I went to Newport I stocked up on everything and packed it in my suitcase coming home. How ridiculous is that? Needless to say, my gigantic suitcase was over the weight limit. But now I know what to get when I make my yearly trip to Newport and what I’ll be making when I get home! Love it as always!

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Burnsy,
I know – seems everyone is expecting these days! Oh, and I’d could totally fill an entire suitcase with goodies from TJ’s. No shame! :)

Hannah February 7, 2012 at 3:45 am

Brilliant idea to use the soup as sauce! One of these days I’ll get to try enchiladas :)

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Hannah,
We have such a long list for when you come visit. :)

Mandy February 7, 2012 at 3:49 am

LOVE the soup idea! I’ve been using salsa instead of enchilada sauce too as I find them to be uselessly oily and bitter. Gonna try the soup next time. You look ethereal! Blissful mama. xo

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Thanks Mandy, and definitely try the soup. We enjoyed it so much more than the enchilada sauce!

Jessica R. February 7, 2012 at 9:41 am

Heather these look REALLY good. I think Travis might even try these – lately he is super into red pepper everything! I have some leftover chicken around too, so I might try this with shredded chicken instead of beef! Gracias! ;-)

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Jess,
De nada. :)

Colleen Stewart February 7, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Last comment I made was about how much we loved the chicken enchilades! Now I must try some with grassfed beef! :) Wish we had a Trader Joe’s nearbye.
You are just glowing :) Love your little sweater!

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Thanks Colleen. Sweater is from J. Crew, and although it’s probably 10 years old, it’s still one of my favorites! Hope you try the beef enchiladas – CD and I ate the entire pan the other night. So good, and I’m pretty sure you can find a similar soup at any sort of health food store. Pacific makes a roasted red pepper & tomato, and I’m betting it is very similar in taste to TJ’s soup: http://www.pacificfoods.com/our-foods/creamy-soups/organic-roasted-red-pepper-and-tomato