Sourdough With A Swirl

by HEAB on February 7, 2012

I’ve been feeding my sourdough starter every three to five days, but I’ve only actually baked the bread once…until yesterday.  I think I got burnt out on my mom’s bread after eating it almost everyday for breakfast and lunch during the month of December as it’s usually all I could stomach.  So, sourdough and I took a break, but yesterday I decided to try my 2nd batch, with a little twist.  Following reader Jonna’s advice, I added a TBSP of butter (chopped into small pieces), a spoonful of sugar, and some cinnamon to one loaf while kneading the dough (click here for the full bread recipe).  I then rolled it up and placed it in my loaf pan.  The result was a slightly sweet loaf of sourdough with a touch of cinnamon.  Our kitchen smelled amazing.  Thanks Jonna!

This morning, I really wanted waffles, and by waffles, I mean the kind that go straight from the freezer to the oven.  Sometimes, there’s just something so good about toaster waffles.  However, I finished off our box a couple of days ago.  So, I made the next best thing, and I must admit it tasted 10x’s better than a frozen waffle!

Cinnamon Swirl French Toast

I cannot remember the last time I made French toast, but I’ve decided I really should eat it more often.  I whisked together an egg with a splash of almond milk, soaked two slices of bread in it, and then fried the bread in a little butter over medium high heat, flipping after about a minute or so.  Toppings included butter, plain yogurt, and maple syrup.  Delicious!  Sourdough, I’m so happy we’ve been reunited!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats February 7, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I love French Toast made out of sourdough! The cinnamon must have put it at a whole ‘nother level!

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Kerry,
It sure did. :)

Erica February 7, 2012 at 2:51 pm

mmm that bread. Seriously, homemade bread is amazing. Random- are you guys finding out the sex of the twinners?

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Erica,
We find out two weeks from Thursday, and I cannot wait. So anxious! :)

katie @KatieDid February 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm

ohhh what a combo! Sourdough is my favorite kind of bread hands down, but unfortunately I haven’t been able to have it in well over a year :(

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Katie,
Now that just makes me sad. I’ll eat extra for you.

the delicate place February 7, 2012 at 3:07 pm

adding butter makes it better? this is a surprise? lol especially if it’s kerry gold! nate is hooked and i’m glad he won’t ever go back to buying cheap generic butter! ah your breakfast takes me back! when i was little, my dad would toast 2 pieces of bread and apply his secret combo spice mix (it was really just that he liberally buttered the toast and sprinkled cinnamon & sugar on top). it made my elementary school mornings!

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Melissa,
Dads sure know how to turn the simplest recipes into pure magic, don’t they? My dad did it with scrambled eggs. His were and will always be my favorite!

Jonna February 7, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Hi Heather,

So glad to hear that you enjoyed the cinnamon sugar swirl! I’ve made french toast for my kids as well (by the way, I have boy/girl twins and
an older boy!) with both that one and the plain sourdough. It was so cool to get a mention on your blog! Hope you are feeling well. Thanks! Jonna

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Jonna,
Thank you for the tip – I’ve eaten half the loaf today! :)

Kristie February 7, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Hi Heather, I’ve visited your blog on and off over the past year or so and have enjoyed reading and rereading your success stories! You’re at a wonderful point in your life and you completely deserve it. I have been making an effort to keep all HEAB musings in the back of my head, cause they’re just so helpful :) the sugar-free mantra really stuck with me. I have adopted that lifestyle and it was one of the greatest decisions I have ever made, so THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I recently re-stumbled across your blog and have spent the past week perusing it like no other…easily spent 10 hours on it, oops. And it was totally worth it! You have an amazing general warmth and encouragement that exudes from all of your posts, and it is so comforting to me. The first few times I visited HEAB I thought your eats seemed a bit indulgent, but in reality they are delightfully simple, nourishing, and no-nonsense. I love it! I really can’t thank you enough for being an inspiration to me and would loooove to talk to you more. You have my email, hope to hear from you soon. Xoxox

Julia February 7, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Did you make your starter? I really love sourdough but I don’t currently know anyone who is making any so I am trying to find out how to start my own.

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Julia,
I didn’t, but my aunt gave my mom the recipe, and I’ve included it with the bread recipe here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/homemade-sourdough-bread/. It’s very easy to make!

Julia February 7, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Thanks!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 7, 2012 at 3:29 pm

The boys have started eating greek yogurt and it’s killing me! It looks so good. That is the only dairy I miss! My mom used to make cinnamon sourdough bread all the time and I LOVED it! It was all throughout though, not a swirl. It was my favorite! This looks amazing. I bet your house smelled incredible!

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Sarena,
Yeah, I missed it too when I was completely off dairy, but it’s slipped back in. Coconut milk yogurt just isn’t the same. I’m sorry you’re missing it. :(

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 7, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Wow that bread looks and sounds amazing….cinnamon and sugar swirled throughout, and made up into French Toast. GREAT JOB! Wow, in between art projects, growing two humans!!!, raising a toddler, you’re making your own sourdough from a starter. Amazing :)

nicole February 7, 2012 at 3:54 pm

YUM!!!!!! Another reason I need to get over my fear of sourdough.

Eden February 7, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Sourdough is heaven on earth!

My all time FAVORITE breakfast are these sourdough waffles. I’ll email you the recipe if you want. ;)

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Eden,
Duh, of course I want the recipe! Thank you. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog February 7, 2012 at 4:11 pm

You’re killing me with this sourdough. You know that, right? :)

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Christin,
Yeah, I know. You’re doing the same to me with the chickpea cookies, but I guess it isn’t really fair since I can eat those. Find a good gluten free sourdough recipe yet?

lisa February 7, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Have you tried cooking French toast in a waffle iron? This would be so good that way.

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Lisa,
No, but I really should. Thanks for the idea. Time to dust off the ole waffle iron! :)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 7, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Nothing beats sour dough. And the added cinnamon sounds amazing too!

liz dean February 7, 2012 at 6:47 pm

YUM!!! That looks awesome!! Man I miss bread!

glidingcalm February 7, 2012 at 8:06 pm

my mouth is watering!

Tracey February 7, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I’ve been on a huge French toast kick lately!!! I bet it is so much better on homemade sourdough than sprouted grain!!!! I actually eat it for lunch and I can give it to Evelyn too!

HEAB February 7, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Tracey,
Yeah, it is. I bet Evelyn loves her French toast! Unfortunately eggs and wheat bother Summer’s eczema, but hoping she’ll grow out of it soon. It’s so much better than it used to be! So, until then, just means more French toast for mama. However, I should try making her an eggless version with gluten free bread. Yes, that’s what I shall do! :)

tracey February 8, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Can’t wait to hear how the eggless/gluten free bread turns out. Evelyn can’t do dairy- congestion, eczema when she was younger (because she’s so old you know!!!)

Laura February 7, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Yum! This looks amazing. I love French toast made with sourdough and I love cinnamon swirl bread. So this sounds (and looks!) pretty much perfect to me. :)

Pure2raw twins February 7, 2012 at 10:18 pm

oh my gosh this sourdough french toast sounds wonderful! sourdough was always my favorite type of bread. as much as i loved bread, i do not miss it that much. but after seeing this recipe i sure do!!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com February 7, 2012 at 10:22 pm

French toast with sourdough is always a bomb! Delicious! :D

BTW, congrats on your pregnancy — Summer would be delighted to have brothers or sisters :)

HEAB February 8, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Thanks so much Kiran!

Mama Pea February 7, 2012 at 11:55 pm

You can just bring me a sourdough starter right? Because you really want to visit Oregon :)

HEAB February 8, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Mama Pea,
Will do. :)

burnsy February 8, 2012 at 1:14 am

For the last month I’ve been making pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes once a week for dinner (with scrambled eggs and fabulous chocolate shakes to boot) for my boys. Well, okay, honestly I do it alittle for them and mostly for me. There is something so perfect about breakfast for dinner and I might break the streak and do up some of this here sourdough french toast. Sourdough bread is the key to my heart. (Too bad my husband doesn’t read your blog because I’d go for a loaf of sourdough bread over flowers on Valentine’s any day!) And back to our earlier cheese discussion – grilled cheese on sourdough anyone? Mmmmmm. Thanks for the starter recipe Heather – I’ll be putting that to good use.

HEAB February 8, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Burnsy,
Nothing like breakfast for dinner…or lunch. LOVE breakfast foods, and if you give me your husband’s email, I’d be happy to start dropping sourdough hints. :)

STUFT Mama February 8, 2012 at 6:14 am

Well shoot, I missed my chance to comment on the last post with those yummy enchiladas. So glad you tried the soup with them. I’ve been eating my fair share of them lately. Oh, and your tummy. Sooo cute! You look great! And so does this French Toast. I’m also very impressed that you baked your own bread.
I thought I sent you an email last week, but it’s showing me the draft still in my inbox. Did I never send it? Soooo much to talk about. :)

HEAB February 8, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Kristin,
I could eat those enchiladas every night. So good, and we love them with the soup. Must buy more soon! Never did get your email, but no rush. I’ll still be here. :)

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free February 8, 2012 at 8:42 am

I just saw this fabulous sourdough recipe using buckwheat flour, and I am excited to try!!! I’ve never made my own sourdough before!

HEAB February 8, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Alex,
Really? Please let me know how it goes as I’ve had several people ask me about gluten free versions.

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen February 8, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I feel the same way about Eggo’s…I grew up on them and they are more comforting than the homemade version sometimes!

HEAB February 8, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Aylin,
I’ve tried all the frozen waffles out there, and Eggo’s are definitely the BEST!