Bring Your Own Topping

by HEAB on February 8, 2012

This morning, I made another one of Christin’s chickpea cookie recipes.  Thus far, I’ve made her Cocoa Caramel cookies, the  PB Explosion cookies, and today I made the chocolate mint version.   I know I say that each version is my new favorite, and I’m going to say it again today…although the PB Explosions come in a close second.

I doubled the recipe, added toasted walnuts, skipped the honey, and only used 1/4 tsp peppermint extract.  Thanks Christin – I’ve decided I need to start buying chickpeas in bulk. :)

After our morning cookie baking session, Summer and I joined our friend Tonya for a frozen yogurt date,

and while Summer snacked on her blueberries…

I enjoyed a cup of peanut butter and coffee frozen yogurt with whipped cream and two of the chocolate mint cookies.

Yes, I brought my own toppings.  Couldn’t resist and managed to save myself a few bucks too.  Those toppings always drive up the cost of my cups.  I like the heavy stuff – yes, brownie chunks, I’m talking to you!

Laura Warden February 8, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Well, thank you for making me hungry! :-P

Jennie (the gf-gf) February 8, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Love this idea – frozen yogurt places never have gluten-free cookies, but I’ve often wished they would! Now I’m thinking about Pamela’s chocolate cookies and peanut butter froyo … mmm …

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Jennie,
I like your plan. Pamela’s cookies are so good, and it’s been way too long since I’ve had them. Next time I don’t feel like baking chickpea cookies, I’ll have to run to the store and pick some up…or just pick some up anyway. One can never have to many chocolate cookies on hand. ;)

Erica February 8, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Amazingness! I must try this chickpea cookies. And now I want froyo ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 8, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Everytime I’m about to make those cookies she comes up with a new one! The choices! I need to get to baking! I hope you enjoyed some of that frozen yogurt for me! I miss it so!

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Sarena,
Trust me, I did. :)

Lorne February 8, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Three of my most favourite foods – chickpeas, chocolate, and mint.
I feel a little baking coming on :0)

Way to go you for taking your own topping.

Victoria (District Chocoholic) February 8, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I think that’s totally reasonable because 1. the cookies look delicious and 2. I think the yogurt shops make a really big profit margin on yogurt compared to toppings, so they made even more $$$ off you :) .

lindsay February 8, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I would have brought Hokey Pokey for my topping. Yes, go look that up.

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I just did. Peanut brittle without the peanuts? Yeah, I bet that would be amazing atop ice-cream…and now I want to try Hokey Pokey flavored ice-cream. Might just be time to whip out the ice-cream maker! :)

j3nn February 8, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Summer looks just like you!! So adorable.

I wish we had a froyo place nearby. But then again, I probably don’t, lol.

Ameena February 8, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Love your hair Heather! I have to pay a very talented Japanese man a substantial amount of money to make mine looks decent. But it still doesn’t look as effortless as yours!

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Ameena,
Thank you! Takes about an hour to dry and flat-iron. My secret: when my hair is straight, I only wash it about once a week. The grease weighs it dow, and it always looks better a few days after washing. No Japanese man required. :)

Maggie @ Say Yes to Salad February 8, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Well now you are making me hungry. I just subscribed to the purple bird blog. Looking forward to making my own chickpea cookies soon. And P.S., I bought brewers yeast the other day – good stuff! Love the taste of it.

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Maggie,
Sad you’re no longer blogging, but I totally get it and good for you. Just means you’ll have more time to bake chickpea cookies. Namaste my friend. :)

P.S. So happy you’re liking the Brewer’s!

Mama Pea February 8, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Why have I not made Christin’s cookies, why?!

Summer looks like a little Strawberry Shortcake! (mmm…shortcake.) I will not eat your child.

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Mama Pea,
I used to have a Strawberry Shortcake doll that blew strawberry kisses. Remember those? And I have no idea why you haven’t tried Christin’s cookies. I think the Pea family would love!

Melissa @TryingtoHeal February 8, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I have been known to bring my own toppings too…no shame! They make the fro-yo that much better!

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Melissa,
Agreed! :)

Christin@purplebirdblog February 8, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I keep saying the same thing… that each new batch is my favorite. Let me know if you have any other flavors you’d like me to work out! I have definitely been buying chickpeas in bulk. ;) I’m so tickled that you love these so much! <3

Katie February 8, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I just posted a mint chocolate chip cookie recipe the same day as christin! I keep meaning to try her chickpea version, but I just can’t get over the legumes in my cookie thing. I’m not conventional by any means with my food either. It’s just….I don’t know.

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Katie,
Try the cookies – I think they’ll change your legume mindset. :)

katie @KatieDid February 8, 2012 at 11:36 pm

BYOToppings! Love this idea, too bad there isn’t a self serve froyo place in my entire state!

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Katie,
So no sourdough or self serve fro-yo? I’m very sad for you. Come visit me in Nashville. Yogurt on me! :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 9, 2012 at 12:21 am

Glad you’re in total love of the chickpea cookies. I would bring my own cookies to top my fro-yo if I had cookies that looked as yummy as yours.

And Summer…holy cuteness. What a little lovebug. She’s gorgeous, Heather!

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Thanks Averie. :)

Shelby February 9, 2012 at 1:21 am

I just had froyo today! Salted caramel froyo with toasted almonds and chocolate chips on top. Swooooooon :)

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Shelby,
That’s it. I need to move to LA! ;)

STUFT Mama February 9, 2012 at 1:35 am

Oh man, I have got to try Christin’s cookie recipes. They’re on my list, but my darn list just keeps getting longer and longer. :) So smart to bring your own topping and man is Summer getting big.

Hannah February 9, 2012 at 3:25 am

Bahaha! You’re my hero for bringing your own toppings :D

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 9, 2012 at 7:25 am

Glad I’m not the only one obsessed with Christin’s chickpea cookies. I’ve been making them nonstop and then developed my own recipe for coconut-lemon ones (I posted it yesterday). Everytime she posts a new recipe, I’m like “Oh! I have to try that one now!”
I’m going to attempt black bean brownies next. As I pulled out my dry black beans to soak last night, I looked over at the big jar of kidney beans and thought “hmm.. wonder what I could do with those?” :)

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Lauren,
I’ve made a sweet pancake topping with red beans, and I’m sure you could pull it off with kidney beans. I think it was just beans, almond milk and vanilla stevia blended together. Really good atop cornbread too. Coconut lemon cookies sound so good – love that combo!

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous February 9, 2012 at 8:39 am

I love frozen yogurt, but you’re right, it does get pricey!

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Rebecca,
I know! I complain about how much a pint of coconut milk ice-cream costs but will then pay the same amount for a cup of soft-serve. I make no sense.

Sarah February 9, 2012 at 10:31 am

Hi Heather!

First of all, congrats on the pregnancy! I am so happy for you! We, too, are trying for Baby #2… Julian’s almost a year old and I want him to have lots of siblings!

Random question: I’m planning his 1st birthday party (next Saturday 2/18) and I was wondering if you had any advice on a game we could play (mostly for the adults I suppose…). His party is only 2 hours long, but I feel like I should have a game or something organized like that? What do you think?

It’s a Very Hungry Caterpillar party… because J is my little hungry caterpillar!! :)

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Sarah,
Thank you and so excited your guys are talking more babies. After Summer came along, I was definitely on board for more. We were hoping for 3 or 4, and all close in age. Looks like we got our wish. :)

Game for the adults – hmm, that’s a tough one. So many kids games out there, but can’t think of any for the parents. At Summer’s party, there were so many parents and babies there, that the 2 hours just flew by. We all ate, talked, and had so much fun watching the kids play that I don’t think there would have been any time for the adults to play something. However, I made sure to have an activity table for the older kids – sheets to color, markers, crayons, etc., and I covered the table with butcher paper so that they could color on it too. Oh, and stickers. Lots of stickers, which are always a hit. You can order Hungry Caterpillar sticker off Eric Carle’s official website – lots of cute party decor on there. Let me know how it goes and Happy Birthday Julian! :)

P.S. Here are some party game ideas I found on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/Kukucouture/party-games/. Maybe some could be adapted for adults.

Sarah February 11, 2012 at 9:36 am

Thanks so much, Heather! I’ll send you some pics from the party:)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood February 9, 2012 at 10:49 am

Mmm, I haven’t had froyo in some time now. Now I’m jonesing for it :-D

the delicate place February 9, 2012 at 11:02 am

now i’m hungry lol. i bring my own condiments sometimes so why not toppings? you are totally right though, they drive up the cost! i always have 50% resees cup chunks i just need to make these cookies and i can enjoy cheap froyo haha. ahhhh how cute is summer in her little hat! she looks like a mini rainbow brite :) too sweet!

Clementine February 9, 2012 at 11:49 am

HEAB – Did you see this? http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-bacon-milkshake-jack-in-the-box-20120208,0,4234279.story

You are the undisputed queen of deliciously weird concoctions, and I bet you could HEABify this bad boy – if you want to. I’ve had a dark chocolate bar with bacon in it, which was amazing, but I’m not sure the dairy/bacon combo has the same potential – chocolate bacon milkshake perhaps?

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Clementine,
Haha – no I hadn’t heard about that. I’ve seen bacon ice-cream before, but never a milkshake, and at the moment, I’m not sure if I think it sounds delicious or disgusting. Haha. I’m on a weight gaining mission as I lost some during my first trimester, but I think I’ll stick with cookies n cream for the time being. ;)
P.S. I’ve had the Vosges bacon bar, and yeah, I agree. I think a chocolate bacon milkshake is the way to go!

Marisa @ Mind Over Booty February 9, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I never think to bring my own toppings! I’m so doing this next time I go to get froyo!

Felicia February 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Bring you own toppings…genius!

By the way- I finally got brewers yeast! Just ate it with eggs and I actually barely tasted it- very comparable to nutritional yeast. It is so nutritious! I’ll definitely be eating it on a daily basis :)

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Felicia,
I’m so glad you liked the Brewer’s. People don’t believe me, but I find it kind of addicting. Really love the flavor it adds, and it’s my secret ingredient for Oaties now. Add 2 TBSP to every batch. Try it. :)

Nikki February 9, 2012 at 2:06 pm

WOW, those cookies look amazing!! I think they will be on my make list for the weekend!

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Nikki,
As they should. :)

I Dream of Beets (Sarah) February 9, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I’m GOING to make those cookies – they look delicious. You look so beautiful!

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Thanks Sarah, and I hope you enjoy the cookies. They’s so good!

Ana February 9, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I love the looks of your cookies, man I need me some of those! Definitely making some chickpea cookies this weekend, I can’t wait to try them, look too delicious!
You look great Heather, totally glowing! And Summer as always is precious!!!! (I truly like seeing pictures of her!)

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Ana,
I think you and Matheus will both love the cookies. My new favorite baked good, and thank you for your kind words regarding Summer. She is pretty darn precious if I do say so myself. :)

BethT February 9, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Summer is too, too cute. I wish she and Lucy could be friends!

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Beth, me too. Just move across the country, and we’ll make it happen. :)

Laura @ She Eats Well February 9, 2012 at 11:29 pm

I used to think I was a chocolate peanut butter gal…but for a few years now, I’ve been cheating with chocolate mint. I think it’s kind of my favorite.

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Laura,
I love both combos – can’t decide which one is my favorite. They’re both too good!

Em (Wine and Butter) February 10, 2012 at 9:09 am

I once brought my own fresh heirloom tomatoes to top my pizza with!!!

BEAT THAT!!!

I miss American Fro Yo – Happy Weekend Heaby!

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Em,
Haha – you win. :)

Jenny Taylor February 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Heather,
Love, love, love your blog! And congratulations on your big news! How exciting!

Was wondering if you take any vitamins or supplements and if so, which ones? I was thinking of non-prenatal! =)

Thank!

HEAB February 10, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Jenny,
When not pregnant, I usually just take vitamin D3 and a probiotic (when I remember). I don’t take a multi-vitamin or anything.

Thanks so much for reading. :)

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City February 10, 2012 at 2:09 pm

this looks like a great fro-yo date :)

i recently traveled to Europe with my Celiac pal, and boy was it hard to find suitable options for her. next time, we’ll pack some of these :)

Jillian @ LaDolceVitaVegan February 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Hi heather! I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. I’ve linked to you in the post, and if you want to check out the nomination, its here:

Have a great weekend! :)

Britne @ Shabbott's Habits February 10, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Hi Heather! Congrats on your recent exciting news :)

I just wanted to say that I love reading your blog and that I made your Maple Nut Oaties for my 1st yr-Blogiversary and they were absolutely fantastic! They’ll be many more batches to come in my household. Thank you for the great recipe and your inspiring take on healthy living.

Erin February 10, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Totally Heather! It’s a resourceful and healthy option! You are looking absolutely radiant and how about that peanut of yours! xo

TeenyLittleSuperChef February 10, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Heather, you rock my socks. Only you would bring her own toppings to a fro-yo joint :) That’s awesome. Oh, and could Summer be any cuter. Seriously, that kid just keeps getting more adorable and more beautiful all the time. Loving her little pink outfit. She’s such a fashionista.

HEAB February 12, 2012 at 9:52 am

Thanks Teeny, and you should totally BYOT next time – I’ve brought carob chips and raw macaroons before too – no shame!

Leah February 11, 2012 at 9:34 am

I have to apologize for being a few weeks late to the party but I just wanted to say congratulations on your pregnancy! and twins! sooo happy for you.

HEAB February 12, 2012 at 9:51 am

Thanks so much Leah. :)

Erika - The Teenage Taste February 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Oh my gosh, fro-yo is the bomb! I have a bit of topping addiction though, maybe I should try sneaking a few of my own toppings in there. The cookie dough bites and crushed oreos are my favorites!

Katherine Acronym February 11, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I bring my own protein powder for starbucks to put in a frappichino! I’m all for BYO

HEAB February 12, 2012 at 9:50 am

Katherine,
Ha, love it!

Alex @ Raw Recovery February 11, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Ok, when I go back home to Colorado this weekend I AM MAKING the chickpea cookies. But I won’t tell anyone what’s in them….My family and friends are already freaked out by my green smoothies

HEAB February 12, 2012 at 9:50 am

Alex, make them the PB ones. CD liked those the best, and he’s pretty picky when it comes to my different (read odd) cookie recipes. Peanut butter covers all wrongs. :)

{ 1 trackback }