It’s Been A While

by HEAB on February 12, 2012

Howard, this one is for you. :)

Pancake Sunday is back, at least this week.  My early morning breakfast…

A good friend sent me her favorite pancake recipe, and I made it this morning.  It’s easy and delicious.

I topped my pancakes with maple syrup and my failed coconut whipped cream.  So many people have told me to try this recipe, and I finally did this morning.  However, my can of full fat coconut milk did not yield much whipped cream.  I followed the directions to a tee, but the cream did not separate to the top.  I refrigerated the can overnight and did not shake it.  Not sure what happened.  Maybe some brands work better than others?  I used 365 brand from Whole Foods.  Any tips?  Oh well, my drizzle of full fat coconut milk was still delicious!

Howard From Seattle February 12, 2012 at 10:21 am

Thank you Heather! They look delicious and super easy to make. Yum!

katie @KatieDid February 12, 2012 at 11:11 am

The same thing has happened to me before trying to whip up coconut milk. It thickens in the can but then when I went to whip it, it thins out. Instead I just spoon it straight from the can on top and it stays put a little better. These pancakes sounds hearty, glad to see pnacake sunday back!

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Katie,
Me too, and others have recommended Native Forest, Goya, or Thai Kitchen brands of coconut milk for the whipped cream. I was told they all separate really well.

Tabitha February 12, 2012 at 11:26 am

For a minute I thought you wear breakfasting in black pudding – hmm, you don’t want to know!
Whole Foods has finally opened in Scotland, I bought a little bag of Fleur de Sel to try – I nearly died when they rang it up and I had to act as if I always pay £7/$12 for salt.

Michaela February 12, 2012 at 8:26 pm

haha, but I am sure it will be worth it!! I am always happy to pay more for a good quality salt.

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Tabitha,
Yeah, CD thought the pancakes looked like sausage patties. Very exciting that you guys finally got a Whole Foods…better start saving up! ;)

Bidcake February 12, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Perfect food/dish color combo.. at least they tasted good.. :-)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 12, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Some brands of coconut milk will not separate easily (manufacturers put various stabilizers in products to prevent that and perhaps the 365 brand was one of them….TJ’s will separate much more easily I have found).

The pancakes look awesome! Chocolate for breakfast is always a good idea :)

And you always make the most tempting looking pancakes!

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Averie,
Thanks for the support. CD told me those pancakes in particular looked like sausage patties. :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 12, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Oohh, these look great!! Love pancakes!

Penny @ Big Spoon, Little Spoon February 12, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Heather, I think Katie (CCK) suggests on her blog that Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk works really well for the whipped cream. I haven’t tried making the cream with it, but their coconut milk is really thick and delish!

Chrissy February 12, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Thai Kithen works Made it a few times and it’s awesome… My first time was a flop too:)

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Thanks Chrissy, that makes me feel better. :)

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Thanks Penny – Now I remember reading that on her blog…too bad I didn’t remember when I was out coconut milk shopping! ;)

Greta @ Staying Lost February 12, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I’ve never tried whipping coconut milk, but coconut butter is always delicious on pancakes. Maybe I’ll have to have these for dinner. :D

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Greta,
Agreed, and at least I never mess up the coconut butter! :)

lindsay February 12, 2012 at 1:02 pm

bring back the pancake love. I always liked your Pancake recipes. Now i just need you to make them for me.

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Lindsay,
Well, just fly on over to Nashville, and I will along with a fresh homemade batch of toasted coconut butter. :)

Joss February 12, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Looks delish! Pancake sunday..a great idea :)

Maria February 12, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Yum they look great!! I need to have a pancake morning soon.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 12, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Things may not always turn out as expected, but at least it still tasted good! The pancakes sound incredible! Great way to start Sunday!

sterhymeswithtree February 12, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Yes! Any coconut milk brand with a lot of stabilizers (like the gums) will keep the coconut milk from separating. Native Forest should be great. Even though Thai Kitchen does have some guar gum it still seems to separate really well. You could also make your own! Coconut + Water + Vitamix left in the fridge is definitely filler free and will separate easily.

Good luck! Keep us updated if you try again!

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Thanks so much. Heard good things about both Native Forest and Thai Kitchen. Will definitely try the whipped cream again. :)

Eden February 12, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I don’t even bother with alternatives. I like the heavy cream and if my grandma had it, how bad can it be ;)

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Eden,
Right on. Grandma always knew best. :)
P.S. Ate the sourdough waffles this morning with apple cider syrup. THANK YOU!

Colleen Stewart February 12, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Grains just don’t agree with me anymore so I’ve cut them out. Now these I could eat! I love all things coconut (thanks to you I always have coconut butter in the house and am now using coconut oil daily :) ) I must buy some almond flour this week and try these. Thanks Heather!

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Colleen,
Happy to hear you’re keeping all the coconut products stocked, and I hope you enjoy the pancakes! :)

Pure2raw twins February 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm

oh man now i really wish i made pancakes this morning, i have seen them everyone

never made whipped cream, i love putting yogurt on top of pancakes, guess that is my whipped cream
xoxo
M

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Pure2Raw,
Yogurt is so good atop the cakes!!!! :)

Mama Pea February 12, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I’ve been wanting to try that coconut whipped cream, but now I’m scared!

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:53 pm

MamaPea,
Don’t be scared. I will try again. Others have recommended using Goya or Thai Kitchen brands of coconut milk.

Felicia February 12, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I just made the whipped cream the other day and it came out perfect! I used the classic unsweetened organic coconut milk by Native Forest (has a green label). It actually was pretty hard when I took it out, and I added some raw honey when I whipped it up.
By the way- definitely adding brewers yeast next time to the oaties for extra nutrition! You know those are mine + my families favorite cookies of all time :)

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Thanks for the tip Felicia. I’ll be on the lookout for that brand, and I can’t wait to hear what you think of the Oaties with Brewer’s. It just adds a little something. Especially amazing in the butterfied recipe! So happy to hear you and your family love them so much. :)

Emily @LivingLongfellow February 12, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Bummer it didn’t work! I’ve had my eye on it for awhile now and wondered if anyone else had tried it. If you try again with another brand that works, let us know!

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Emily,
If you do decide to try it, others have recommended using the Goya or Thai Kitchen brands of coconut milk for the whipped cream.

Janknitz February 12, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Were you using CANNED coconut milk or coconut milk in a steripack carton? It’s the canned coconut milk that is thick to begin with. The stuff in the cartons is drinking consistency.

I’ve been using a brand I buy at a Mexican market called Goya (but I believe it originates in the Phillipines) and it is so thick to begin with that when you shake the unopened can at room temperature you don’t hear any liquid sloshing around. When you open the can there’s some liquid in the center and a lot of thick coconut “cream” clinging to the sides and the lid. Overnight in the fridge and it has the consistency of soft whipped cream with no whipping whatsoever. It’s delicious. It uses some potassium as a preservative, no gums in this brand. Unfortunately, I think the can is lined with BPA, but I’m not 100% certain.

Yesterday I bought 6 cans of 365 Brand at WF, and now I’m a little worried as you can definitely hear sloshing in the can when you shake it. I hope I like this brand, after buying 6 cans worth! Does anybody know if the 365 cans are BPA lined?

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Jan,
I was using the canned coconut milk. The 365 brand tastes good, but it definitely did not separate overnight in the fridge, and I’m not sure if the cans are BPA lined or not.

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free February 12, 2012 at 8:07 pm

oh my. Those sound like my kind of pancakes. seriously. We should trade off making each others breakfasts each morning. I have been loving buckwheat pancakes lately. Have yet to post a recipe, but the flavor is great and it yields a lot of pancakes (super fluffy, too).

Thai kitchen and goya brands work best. I’ve tried some others, and they never seem to yield much cream.

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Alex,
These pancakes were good, but my all-time favorite gluten free pancakes are your brown rice ones. THE BEST. :) And thanks for the coconut cream tips!

Stephanie February 12, 2012 at 8:13 pm

The pancakes look and sound amazing. I have not experimented with coconut milk enough to know about its consistency. Have a great night!

Gina @ Oatsandbeansandbabygrow.com February 12, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I have been working the whipped coconut milk a few times this week, first trying to make a frosting for Simons birthday, once making cck’s frosting shots, and then I finally got to post about the raspberry mousse I made with it, today. I went through so many cans of coconut milk! Only one really separated. The others got set aside for smoothies. What I tried today though, for the mousse was that even if some of the cream falls to the bottom, if you whip it up with some xanthan gum, it gels it together pretty much just as you would want it to.

Cherie February 12, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I can’t wait to make these tomorrow! I also have some buckwheat on hand and will have to experiment with it, after Alex’s recommendation.

Lindsay @ fuel my family February 12, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Those pancakes look so simple to make and I love every ingredient used!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats February 12, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Yum! I bet the chocolate and the coconut were a great combination of flavors!

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Kerry,
They were. :)

Heather February 13, 2012 at 12:30 am

365 Whole Foods is the worst. It’s just not as good as Mae Ploy, Chao Koh or even Thai Kitchen. It’s funny how into coconut milk one becomes when they go paleo, lol! Those pancakes look fab though!

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Thanks Heather! Will definitely try one of those brands next time.

STUFT Mama February 13, 2012 at 1:41 am

Pancake Sunday? Love that it’s back and can’t wait to try this recipe. I’ve been all about pancake/French toast goodness inthe morning lately (mostly thanks to your delicious French toast last week). :) Wish I could come over and have breakfast and chat twin talk.

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Kristin,
Yeah, I saw your baked French toast – totally drool worthy (ask my keyboard). :)

Hannah February 13, 2012 at 2:43 am

I think it does depend a bit of brand. But then again, we’ve always just had normal whipped cream, as my mum maintains that it doesn’t affect her lactose intolerance. It does mine, but I’ve never been big on cream anyway :P (I prefer a peanut butter icing ;) )

Em (Wine and Butter) February 13, 2012 at 3:17 am

YUM! Im actually really craving pancakes now AND (for once) we have all the ingredients!!

But don’t yours need any liquid!? xox

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Em, Nope, the two eggs provided enough liquid. Enjoy! :)

Emilia February 13, 2012 at 5:44 am

These pancakes look so good, almond flour and coco powder? Delicious! That’s disappointing about the coconut whipped cream though. I’ve heard that some cans simply don’t work for it, luck of the draw I guess. Gotta keep trying! (though I’m sure a drizzle of coconut milk was still fantastic)

nicole February 13, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Heather-I tried using a few different brands of the coconut milk, but the one that worked the best was Thai Kitchen. About 3/4 of the can should be scoopable flesh. When I make it, it ends up making at least a cup of cream. Try it one more time with Thai Kitchen brand coconut milk. I did not need to use anything to help with the consistency. Let me know when you try again!!

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Thanks Nicole – that’s the brand others have recommended. :)

Burnsy February 13, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Hey Heather,
The Thai Kitchen brand coconut milk even without being refrigerated has the cream at the top. I always have to stir it when I open it. I apologize as my question today doesn’t pertain to this post (despite how wonderful an idea is chocolate pancakes!) – I have been trying various bread recipes for lunch sandwiches for my boys. Most breads are great out of the oven but dry out quickly and can be quite thick which is mostly in part because I try to use a mixture of flours. At any rate, your sour dough bread – have you ever tried making it with half sugar and half something else like maple syrup? Do you use evaporated cane juice crystals for sugar? I’m trying to keep sugars to a minimum and cutting things where I can without too great a sacrifice to flavor and end product. Thoughts?

HEAB February 13, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Hi Burnsy,
I’ve never tried making the bread with anything but good ole fashioned white sugar. So, I’m not sure if it would work, but definitely worth a try. The bread is never dry and so delicious. Please let me know if you try it.

{ 1 trackback }