A Hidden Gem

by HEAB on February 16, 2012

Things got a little fancy around here for lunch today.  Normally, I put Summer down for her nap and then scarf down some type of wrap sandwich and afterwards, attack the ice-cream carton with a fork while trying to knock out my to-do list before nap time ends.  Random fact: I like to eat my ice-cream with a fork, and scrape around the edges of the carton when the ice-cream starts to melt.  The BEST!   Anyway, today I took the time to actually cook something, and it was well worth the effort.  I made fish tacos…

Chris and I are both trying to eat more fish and recently bought some wild cod at Costco.  I followed this simple recipe but next time will add a little salt.  The tacos were good, but my favorite part of the meal was hidden underneath…

Ashley’s Black Bean Crema.

Oh my Ashley, you have outdone yourself with this one!  I followed her recipe but browned my spices in pastured butter instead of olive oil.  Delicious!

And now it’s time for ice-cream.  Today’s flavor of choice: Heavenly Hash.  Mmm, heavenly. :)

Jennie (the gf-gf) February 16, 2012 at 2:59 pm

So glad I’m not the only one who eats ice cream with a fork!! So much better than spoons for getting all the frozen bits off the container :-)
Hope you enjoy your ice cream!

HEAB February 16, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Jennie,
I did, and we are not alone. Other commenters are fans of the fork as well. :)

Stephanie February 16, 2012 at 3:13 pm

We also buy our cod from Costco. This recipe looks very tasty! I am also a lover of ice cream, but I have never used a fork. I like your thinking though. I will have to try Heavenly Hash next time I go to the grocery store. Have a great day!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 16, 2012 at 3:14 pm

This looks absolutely divine!!

liz dean February 16, 2012 at 3:23 pm

that looks awesome!! I now know what’s for dinner!!! :)

Have you tried B&J’s Dulce Delish??? Holy smokes….I am in love. If I’m not careful, I’ll eat the whole pint in one sitting…

HEAB February 16, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Liz,
No I haven’t, but I’m pretty sure I would eat the entire pint in one sitting. It’s been done before. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 16, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Apparently the craving for fish tacos is going around…or maybe Max is really you kid since he was craving them too recently. These sound amazing and look delicious. The seem so fancy, but come together so quickly. We need to cook fish more often here too.

Katie February 16, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I do the same thing with ice cream. I thought I was the only crazy person who likes half-melted ice cream and eats it with a fork.

I do the same thing with my nut butters – I store them in the freezer and eat them with a fork from the sides as the nut butter starts to soften. After a while, it starts to resemble a tornado, so I have to let it sit out and thaw, and then I pop it back in the freezer and start over.

Wacky, huh?

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli February 16, 2012 at 9:37 pm

GENIUS with the nut butters! I’ve got to try that!

HEAB February 16, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Katie,
Not wacky at all. In fact, it’s pretty darn brilliant if you ask me. :)

Sophie February 18, 2012 at 10:50 am

I think I’m going to have to try this too!

P.s. Never thought of combining tacos and fish-genius!

Joss February 16, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I had the best fish tacos awhile back at the cheesecake factory..of all places!

HEAB February 16, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Joss,
Have you tried their avocado egg rolls? It’s been years since I’ve had them, but they come with the most amazing tamarind sauce. Next time I go, I’ll have to try the fish tacos! :)

Robin February 16, 2012 at 4:31 pm

That is so funny that you eat it with a fork…I thought I was weird for doing it! The melty parts are indeed the best. Whenever my husband and I get frozen yogurt, he lets his sit out in the kitchen until it melts. I, of course, have no patience and eat mine immediately, but I will pretend to go to the kitchen for something else and steal bites of his half-melted portions before he eats it.

Anyway, congratulations on your twin pregnancy! Not sure if you remember me, but we exchanged a few e-mails back when you were pregnant with Summer and I with my now 10.5 month year old daughter Sam. We have a very similar backstory, and I’m currently trying for #2, so I am just really happy and excited for you.

HEAB February 16, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Hi Robin,
Thanks so much, and I can’t believe Sam is already 10.5 months old. It goes by way too fast, huh? I’m excited that you guys are trying again, and I hope things work out for you. Won’t it be amazing to watch our kiddos grow up together so close in age? I really hoped for that! Oh, and just so you know, pregnant women are entitled to all half melted frozen yogurt in the house, especially when left unattended. :)

Ashley February 16, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Oh my my!! I thought I recogized that sauce!! :) So glad that you liked it. Cooking the herbs in butter was a great call. I think I used safflower oil the first time. Will use butter next!

Jill February 16, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Heavenly Hash-totally had a deja vu moment because when I was growing up, we went on vacation every summer to a cottage on Lake Huron and made daily visits to an ice cream place (called Wallygator’s-LOL) that had that flavor! It was their best-well, along with one called Tiger Tiger (orange sherbet with black licorice flavored ribbons).

Weirdly enough I cannot eat ice cream with a fork. It kind of sets my teeth on edge the same way scratching fingers on a chalk board does. I know, I’m crazy :-)

HEAB February 16, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Jill, they really know how to do ice-cream up around the Great Lakes, huh? I’m going to miss our Michigan trip this summer, but I think I might be too busy to think about it. :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb February 16, 2012 at 6:06 pm

that ice cream sounds delicious!! i still remember those amazing cones you would get in michigan when pregnant with summer :) i think two babies means two times the ice cream this time around…

HEAB February 16, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Kathleen,
I agree. :)

Alyssa February 16, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Perhaps they should change the name to Codco?
OK, sorry, that was REALLY bad.
But the tacos look yummy!
(Why does everything taste better with peanut butter?)

HEAB February 16, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Alyssa,
Hehe, yeah that was pretty bad, and the tacos were indeed yummy. :)

STUFT Mama February 16, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Your lunches make me hungry everyday. :) I’m going to have to try that black bean crema. Mmm…… :)

STUFT Mama February 16, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Oh, and now I want to try eating ice cream with a fork (a small for though). :)

Mindy - Clueless Nutrition February 16, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I need to get fish back in my diet asap! I’ve been considering a Costco membership. Do you love it?

HEAB February 16, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Mindy,
Yes, we usually go once every two weeks and stock up on chicken, spinach, Greek yogurt, blueberries, quinoa, salmon, and whatever fresh produce they have that looks good. We also buy a lot of paper products and toiletries there. Totally worth it!

j3nn February 16, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I have been loving wraps in all forms lately, especially Boston lettuce! I used to hate corn tortillas, but now tacos aren’t the same without them. I changed my mind after having authentic Mexican carnitas. :)

HEAB February 16, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Jenn,
Love my corn tortillas. So good!

Natalie February 16, 2012 at 8:48 pm

oh I could not get to that black bean crema link and it looks like something I need to have immediately. :)

HEAB February 16, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Natalie,
I just checked the link and looks like Ashley’s blog is down. Hopefully it will be back up soon, but if not, here’s the recipe:

Blend 1 cup black beans (drained) with 1/2 cup half and half in food processor. Then melt 1/2 T olive oil (I used butter) in a pot on the stove-top. Add 3/4 tsp minced garlic, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp chili powder, pinch of cayenne, and 1/4 tsp salt. Saute until garlic starts to brown. Add black beans and cook through – about 3 to 4 minutes. I think that’s right, but I would double check when Ashley’s blog is up and running again. Delicious and simple recipe. Enjoy! :)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli February 16, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I just got some wild cod from WF a few weeks ago so I could make fish tacos…then I forgot about it in the fridge and it went bad! :( I’ve been craving them so bad since the discovery of the smelly paper wrapped present in behind the spinach…you just intensified that craving times 10! And I hadn’t seen Ashley’s bean recipe…sounds like the perfect side.

Hope you are doing well. Sorry things haven’t worked out for us to get together. Just want you to know you’ve been on my mind lately…hope you and the twins are doing well! :)

HEAB February 16, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Heather,
Oh now – next time you come to Nashville, we should go to Baja Burrito. Best fish tacos in town. Of course they’re fried, but so so SO good! Miss you too, but I know you’ve been busy. We’ll catch up one of these days. :)

Meagan February 16, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Heather – there’s trans fats in the ice cream??

HEAB February 16, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Meagan,
Yeah, I’m not perfect. Nor is my diet. :)

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family February 16, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I love fish tacos! I like them better than ground beef or chicken for sure! Although mine are always smothered in cheese

Ameena February 16, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Ice cream with a fork? I love it. I eat rice with a spoon which confuses some people. Not sure why?

Hope you had a great Valentine’s Day Heather!

HEAB February 17, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Ameena,
Makes total sense to me – you get more rice in your mouth that way. :)

Emily February 16, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Totally how I eat ice cream!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 17, 2012 at 1:00 am

The way you eat ice cream is the way I eat anything frozen..except I do use a spoon. But I attack the melty parts around the edges first, then move onto the middle/center.

The fish tacos look great! YUM! And good for you for actually making something for yourself…you’re worth it :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 17, 2012 at 10:58 am

Fish tacos are my absolute favorite type of tacos ever. I’ve made some at home that are okay, but the best I’ve ever had were in Sausalito, CA and Victoria, BC- both from little shacks on the water. I’m going to have to try Ashley’s Black bean crema… oh man. I made tempeh tacos last night and wish I had that recipe then! :)

HEAB February 17, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Lauren, the crema would be amazing with tempeh tacos! :)

HEAB February 17, 2012 at 7:38 pm

P.S. The best fish tacos are always from hole-in-the-wall type places. :)

Moni'sMeals February 17, 2012 at 12:33 pm

wow those look good HEAB. It is all about the tortilla too. :)

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City February 17, 2012 at 4:18 pm

these look great. i always order fish tacos when they’re on a menu. i should really try to make them!!

teabagginit February 17, 2012 at 4:44 pm

i’m completely obsessed with the fish tacos at this place called taco temple. they cover the fish in a HUGE mound of shredded coleslaw and, i don’t know why, but that makes it 1000x more delicious! :)

HEAB February 17, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Tea,
I love it. My favorite fish tacos here in Nashville are served with shredded cabbage and Mexican crema. Oh, and the fish is fried. They are absolutely amazing!

Kim February 17, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Heather,
I’m not sure if you have addressed this before…
But I was wondering if you started eating sugar because of your pregnancy (congratulations!) or have simply found a way to work it back into your diet?
Thank you!
Kim

HEAB February 17, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Thanks Kim. I started allowing more sugar into my diet when I was pregnant with Summer b/c A)I was craving it, and B) I was struggling to gain weight after being so sick my first trimester. Same thing with this pregnancy. I’m behind on weight gain and doing whatever I can to catch up as I’ve been told I must gain more with twins. After having Summer, I ate less sugar than when I was pregnant, but I still allowed myself to eat it when I really wanted it, and my body seemed to do okay as long as I didn’t go overboard. So, when not pregnant, I don’t eat a lot of it, but I decided life is just too short to always turn down birthday cake and the occasional ice-cream cone. :)

Riss February 17, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I have to ask, Heather… What brand of corn tortillas do you buy? I’ve had some that I’ve LOVED in restaurants. But I just can’t find any in the grocery store that I’m crazy about. I need your great foodie wisdom!

HEAB February 17, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Riss, I love the ingredients of the Food For Life tortillas, but they break apart so easily. The ones picture above are the Mission brand. Better texture, but I still prefer the taste of Food For Life.

Mel @ Mel Runs February 17, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I.love.black.beans. I followed that link from your site and the recipe looks awesome. Thank you for sharing Heather!

HEAB February 19, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Mel,
You’re welcome. Hope you try Ashley’s crema soon – I just bought 2 cans of black beans to make more this week. Can’t wait. :)

Tasha @ Voracious Eats February 18, 2012 at 2:27 am

Fish tacos are on a regular rotation around here. They are one of my very favorite things to have for lunch. Yours look incredible! And oh wow it has been too long since I’ve had black beans…

Colleen Stewart February 18, 2012 at 8:21 am

We love fish tacos over here too! Once we were on vacation in Seattle & Bainbridge Island and had them every single day. We would search out a new place each day! YUM! Oh and I made your Almond flour/cocoa pancakes. So good! I drizzled them with Nutiva’s coconut manna. I could only eat half. SO filling! Next time I will add more stevia. Good thing I have 2 hours till my yoga classes this morning :) I shared your recipe for them on my facebook page :)

HEAB February 19, 2012 at 11:59 am

Colleen,
So happy to hear you liked the pancakes and thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

Amelia @ Eating Made Easy February 18, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I love your description of your “normal” lunch — and boy can I relate to the post-lunch ice cream snacking (though I’m a spoon girl). Isn’t breastfeeding awesome? Ice cream after lunch without feeling any heavier or more exhausted than usual :)

HEAB February 19, 2012 at 11:58 am

Amelia,
Well, I stopped breast feeding a while ago, but being pregnant with twins is pretty awesome when it comes to the ice-cream cravings. :)

sophie February 19, 2012 at 6:57 am

I adore your eating style so much. I just came across your posts regarding hormones and it so speaks out to me! My hormones are literally everywhere. Like you I’ve tried all diets and am just starting to try your style-with higher fats. From all the what you have described-dry skin, hormones etc-chimes with my own experiences. I’m still not sure if I’m getting enough fats for my hormones or too much? I’ve started with salmon, eggs (at least one a day), goats products and nuts. How do you make sure you get the ideal amount? Really want to get my balance with hormones and have my periods again after the pill! Like you carbs are fine, fruit makes me angry (don’t know why?), but fats are starting to feel good!

I do cardio and find that its making me uncomfortable, if that makes sense. I’m considering going cold turkey with that. I’m starting to wonder if it is actually all that good for me?

I find your embracing of fats, against the grain of others, so inspiring!

Thanks for the fab blog and if you do reply for that too!

HEAB February 19, 2012 at 11:57 am

Sophie,
Thanks so much for reading my blog, and I hope you’re able to get your hormone issues straightened out soon. I know that can be tough, and honestly, mine are still wonky. I tried everything, from bioidentical hormone therapy to changes in diet/exercise to various vitamins & supplements. What helped me the most were changes in my diet and cutting way back on cardio. My hormone issues weren’t why I stopped running. I quit running b/c I no longer enjoyed it. However, I do think that less cardio helped. My body completely changed when I started doing more yoga and just walking or hiking – and for the better. I was so toned and hope to get back there someday again. As far as eating, I read the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and Real Food by Nina Planck and both kind of opened my eyes in regards to my diet. Right now, I’m pregnant and not always eating how I normally would – trying to gain weight and just kind of going with the cravings for the time being, but yes, I do think more fat will help you. I’m not sure how much is right for you, but if your skin, hair, and nails are looking better and you’re feeling good, then I’d say you’re on the right path. Just keep listening to your body and thanks again for reading!

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen February 19, 2012 at 11:19 am

fish tacos need to be reintroduced into my kitchen. and i like your style with eating ice cream — the softened sides…work from the outside to the inside!

HEAB February 19, 2012 at 11:39 am

Aylin, thanks! The only way to eat ice-cream in my opinion. :)