11 Things & Granoaties

by HEAB on February 20, 2012

Brandi tagged me in her 11 Things post.  I’ve had fun reading other blogger’s random facts about themselves, and so here are mine…

1. When I’m done eating an apple, all that’s left is pretty much the seeds.  Love a good crunchy apple and hate wasting any of it.
  2. Pre-Summer, I thought I wanted two kids at the most, but after having her, I decided I wanted three or four.  Guess I got my wish. :)
  3. I think I’ve shared this before, but light bulbs always go out in my presence.  In fact, just changed one less than an hour ago.  It’s actually kind of creepy and used to drive my mom crazy.  Now it drives me crazy as I am constantly changing light bulbs.
  4. I do not iron. Ever.  In fact, I have not ironed anything since CD and I got married, and I know this because I found the iron my mom gave us unused in the closet the other day.  Sorry mom.  When working as a massage therapist, I lived in yoga pants, and all of CD’s work clothes are wrinkle resistant.
  5. I refused to wear dresses growing up and insisted on wearing a green football jersey everyday for a year.
  6. I loved high-school but was not a huge fan of college.
  7. I used to manage fundraising events for the American Cancer Society and before that I worked in fundraising for Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital.  I decided to get out of non-profit and became a licensed massage therapist 7 years ago.
  8. My dream house would include a laundry room, a pantry, and a mud room.  We currently have none of the above, and with 3 kids and 2 dogs, I’d like one of each.  All CD wants is a basketball hoop in the driveway.
  9. I wasn’t a huge fan of chocolate growing up and was more of a candy girl: Sweet Tarts, Nerds, gummi bears, etc.  Now, I always choose chocolate!
  10. I drive a ’97 Honda Accord (Well, actually CD currently drives it.  We switched cars when Summer came along, and I now drive his ’96 Jeep Cherokee).  Anyway, we refer to my car as The Beater.  The paint is peeling, and it’s pretty rough looking, but we’re both kind of attached to it.
  11. I don’t like perfume.  It makes me ill.
Now, I must answer the set of questions Brandi posted…
Q: What movie can you watch over and over again, no matter how many times you’ve seen it?
A: Oh gosh, the list is long.  I love Say Anything. Lloyd Dobler can do no wrong.
Q: What’s your favorite band right now?
A: The Civil Wars and Snow Patrol
Q: If someone made a movie of your life, who would you want to play you?
A: Jennifer Connelly or Zooey Deschanel.  Unfortunately, I don’t look a thing like either one of them, but they’re my favorites.  Loved Jennifer ever since Labrynth.
Q: One food you wouldn’t eat as a kid that you love now?
A: Sweet potoates…what was I thinking?!?
Q: Last book you read?
A: Just finished Steve Jobs’s bio, and I’m about 3/4 of the way through Truth & Beauty by Ann Patchett.  So good!
Q: What is your favorite memory from high school?
A: Another long list.  My friends and I were so silly but always had so much fun together.  For Christmas one year, three of us got together and made a video for another friend.  Hours of laughter involved, but when I watch the video nowadays, I cringe.  So embarrassing.
Q: If you could have a dinner party and invite 5 people (famous or not), who would you invite and why?
A: Well, it would have to be people CD would want to meet as well.  So, Warren Buffett & Milton Friedman (not alive anymore but that wasn’t specified) for Chris. And for me, Patty Griffin (my favorite musician), Ellen DeGeneres (b/c I love her giving spirit, and she makes me laugh), and John Cusack (again, Lloyd Dobler can do no wrong).  You think that would be an awkward gathering?
Q: Scariest movie you’ve ever seen?
A: Hands down The Changeling – the 1980 horror movie.
Q: What song is stuck in your head right now?
A: Cantaloop by US3 because I just sold my CD collection today and somehow that album got left behind in my CD holder.  It’s taken me years to let go of my music collection, but it was time.   So freeing.  Love cleaning out and organizing, and I love iTunes.
Q: Quirkiest thing about you that most people don’t know – go!
A: I am a pluck-a-holic and carry tweezers with me everywhere I go.
Q: What do you love about yourself?
A: I love my hair, most days anyway.  Thanks to my dad, I have very thick hair, and I can wear it straight or curly.  Thanks Dad!
Thanks for the tag Brandi, and now I’m supposed to tag 11 people and come up with my own list of questions for them, but I don’t wanna.  So, how about a new Oatie recipe instead?
The recipe is quite simple.  Make a double batch of Butterfied Oaties and add 1 cup Love Grown Foods Cocoa Goodness.  So crunchy, so chocolaty, so delicious!

Health Bee February 20, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Love the 11 Things! Thanks so much for sharing. :-)

Lorne February 20, 2012 at 9:37 pm

a pluck-a-holic! That is just the funniest thing I have heard today, giggle-athon in progress ;0)

Lorne February 21, 2012 at 12:10 am

Ps – what is a mudroom?

Bidmud February 21, 2012 at 5:57 am

oh god dont ask.. they will change your life…! Ok i will tell you.. It’s a room between the outside and the house, usually the garage is the outside part. It’s a break .. It’s a dumping, storage organization area for coming and going… shoes, coats, closets…drawers… place for wet dogs to dry off.. place for dirt to be stopped before entering the house.. Place to leave keys, purses. Staging area for not forgetting things on the way out. Grocery dumping ground midpoint when unloadig the car.. Might even have your washer and dryer in there although that takes up a lot of room.. Ya really need to dream big and want the laundry room too..

In cold climates they are a god send.

Mine is stellar.. I would die without it.. or at least my house would take a large hit..

HEAB February 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Lorne,
Answer from another commenter: It’s a room between the outside and the house, usually the garage is the outside part. It’s a break .. It’s a dumping, storage organization area for coming and going… shoes, coats, closets…drawers… place for wet dogs to dry off.. place for dirt to be stopped before entering the house.. Place to leave keys, purses. Staging area for not forgetting things on the way out. Grocery dumping ground midpoint when unloadig the car.. Might even have your washer and dryer in there although that takes up a lot of room.. Ya really need to dream big and want the laundry room too..

And here is mudroom I dream about: http://pinterest.com/pin/198299189812152800/

Emily @LivingLongfellow February 20, 2012 at 9:41 pm

We just bought a house with a mudroom, and it’s a lifesaver! I don’t know how we ever survived before without one. I too can’t stand ironing. Instead of ironing I hang my clothes outside the shower and let them steam themselves. Gimme wrinkles over an iron.

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Emily,
Love the steam from the shower trick. :)

janetha @ meals & moves February 20, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Granoaties! Love the term, they look so good. I was the same with sweet potatoes! You have beauuuutiful hair.

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Thanks J.G. Bean. You do as well. :)

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 20, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I LOVE the Civil Wars!! I was so excited for them at the Grammy’s!!!
I also, I am graduating college in May. I am thus starting the process of searching for and applying to jobs and I actually just yesterday applied for a fundraising position with the American Cancer Society! So, I have to ask, how did you like that job?

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Jamie,
Well, let’s just say the non-profit world was not for me, and I much better suited for massage therapy. :)

Christin@purplebirdblog February 20, 2012 at 10:26 pm

So many things to say! I have the light bulb thing too! And electronics hate me and always do weird stuff (computers and cars included, which is TOTALLY ANNOYING). Someone once told me healers emit more kinetic energy, and the fact that we are both massage therapists might put some weight into that theory. ;)

LOVE that yoga pants are my standard massage therapy uniform also.

I saw Labyrinth for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I couldn’t not look at David Bowie’s tight pants and prominent bulge. Oh my.

CANTALOOP. OMG. Taking me back, right there.

I have a love/hate relationship with my crazy thick hair. Mine is wavy, and I go through phases where I like it wavy and phases where I like to blow it out straight, usually dependent on the weather. I still want to shave it all off occasionally, and it’s on my bucket list to buzz my hair off at least once. I hear it’s a very liberating experience. :)

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Christin,
I love the healing energy theory – makes the light bulb changing (which I just did – that’s two this week!) not so tiresome. :)

Two of my closest friends have shaved all their hair off, and both said it was the most freeing and cleansing thing. They loved their bald heads. That being said, they did not like growing their hair back out.

Danielle February 20, 2012 at 10:30 pm

HAHAHHA Pluck-a-holic! Me too! Or maybe I’m just a hair-o-phobe :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) February 20, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Great answers Heather! Love Lloyd! I could seriously watch Say Anything over and over…”I gave her my heart, she gave me a pen”. Breaks my heart every time!

Love this post! I think you’re pretty awesome! xoxo

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Thanks Sarena – I think the same of you. :)

Karlee @ BringingBackBalance February 20, 2012 at 10:46 pm

FINALLY someone who doesn’t think that college is the greatest thing ever! I am taking an extra long time getting my degree (6 years to be exact), and I can’t wait to be done! I have had fun, but I am soo ready for bigger and better things. Everyone keeps telling me that I am crazy that college is the most fun I will ever have, but I don’t think that writing endless papers and cramming like there’s no tomorrow is very much fun :P

Lou February 20, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Ha, we are too similar… I shaved off my eyebrows when I was about 6, so now they grow back so so quick I carry tweezers too :)

Same with the apples.

Opposite with the kid thing… I think Misty’s gunna be an only child!

Never iron, and I hate perfume too…. Fun, love finding out quirky little details!

J3nn February 20, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Haha, I like CD’s choice for dinner guests! Milton Friedman definitely appeals to my Austrian tastes, but Warren Buffet just confuses me. :) Interesting mixed company, indeed!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 21, 2012 at 12:16 am

We plowed through a bag of Love Grown Foods Cocoa Goodness last week. So good! Your oaties sound fabulous!

And perfume would make me ill if I were preggers, too…ugh! Just thinking of it and I get sick for you. And I do like perfume but it has to be the right kind..the wrong kind and I get the worst headaches!

lindsay February 21, 2012 at 1:56 am

I gave my iron to my husband as a wedding present. He loves ironing, i do not. Its called wrinkle guard, right?
;)

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Lindsay,
Right on. :)

STUFT Mama February 21, 2012 at 2:27 am

Ha ha! Loved this post. I don’t iron either. I have literally driven Andrew’s pants to my mom’s house to have her iron.
Labyrinth- I totally forgot about that movie. Must watch soon.
You all better get on that minivan. :)
I need to try these oaties (and do my 11 things post).

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:41 pm

STUFT,
Yeah, the only time our iron has been used is when my mom used it to help me make curtains with iron-on hem tape. :)

Erica February 21, 2012 at 3:57 am

Loveeee these posts :) . I eat the entire apple too-no meed to waste!

Hannah February 21, 2012 at 4:05 am

I eat every part of the apple. Seeds, core, stem… all of it. I find it really hard not to stare at people who don’t in absolutely disbelief. WASTAGE!

Also, amen to pluckaholictown.

TweezerBid February 21, 2012 at 6:05 am

Tweezers…would die without mine.. sometimes i think it’s a control thing..

And because i am so tweezaholic i really want to see someone have the guts to do a Survivor TV series with no hair removal on the women.. THEN we would see what true suvival is…

I mean who are they kidding “off into the wilderness with nothing”.. I have yet to see a unibrow on any of those girls.. ;-)

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:42 pm

TweezerBid,
Yes, I’ve always wondered about these hairless wonders on those types of reality shows.

Susan February 21, 2012 at 7:50 am

I was the same way with sweet potatoes as a kid! I had this “thing” with mixing sweet and savory foods. Now I can’t get enough of that combo!

Deirdre @ Oh Well Whatever February 21, 2012 at 8:52 am

Love these random fact lists. I used to say I hated Brussels then I realized I never tried them they are now my favorite.

brandi February 21, 2012 at 8:54 am

love it!

glad to know I’m not the only one who doesn’t iron. I haven’t since we got married, either – almost 8 years! Nick irons, but I do not.

also – I love that you love The Civil Wars :) they’re incredible!

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Brandi,
That makes me feel so much better. I sometimes feel lazy about not ironing…but then I quickly get over it. :)

Ameena February 21, 2012 at 9:33 am

I’d rather clean my kitchen floor than iron so I am 100% with you on that one. And I actually love the Jeep Cherokee. I’m sort of contemplating that as my next car.

Love learning more about you! And yes, sweet potatoes…never thought I’d like those either.

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Ameena,
Do it! Chris’s family all drive Jeep Cherokees and have for years. Great cars. :)

Rufus February 21, 2012 at 9:40 am

HA! I haven’t ironed since I’ve been married either…I despise it!

Also, thank you for the reminder of how much I love Snow Patrol, i think I’ll go listen to them right now :)

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Rufus,
Welcome. :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 21, 2012 at 9:44 am

Love the surveys!!
I’m the same way with apples. I swear, my husband leaves half the apple left when he’s “done.” Drives me crazy- and I usually eat the rest of his. :)
I’m a huge John Cusack fan too- always have been.
And I’m impressed that you’ve made it that far through Steve Jobs’ book- that thing is massive! My husband got it for Christmas from his boss, but I don’t think he’s cracked it open yet.

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Lauren,
CD is the same way – leaves the entire middle of the apple there on the counter whenever he cuts up his apple – like so much more than the core, and I nibble on what’s left. I swear he misses out on at least a 1/4 of every apple! Hope your husband enjoys the Steve Jobs book. I was never sure how long it was since I read it on the Kindle, but it was a fascinating read. He was a very interesting man.

Liz February 21, 2012 at 9:54 am

I’m with you on ironing! I don’t even own one. :) My mother is so disappointed, lol.

My BF is a paranormal investigator (of the skeptic variety), and the light bulb phenomenon you described is called being a “SLIder”. SLI stands for “street light interference”. Is it “paranormal”? Who knows. It might just be a coincidence, but regardless, it’s cool! :)

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Liz,
I’ve heard the SLIder theory before – pretty cool, indeed. :)

Emily February 21, 2012 at 10:19 am

congratulations on the twins :D i’ve been following yr blog avidly, but held off replying :D hehehe.

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Thanks so much Emily! :)

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 21, 2012 at 11:14 am

I’m the same way with apples, I eat everything but the seeds. I always get weird looks but I don’t want to waste any good apple!

Jennie (the gf-gf) February 21, 2012 at 12:20 pm

This was so much fun to read! I was the same way with sweet potatoes, but I don’t think anyone in my family really ate them (except with marshmallows on Thanksgiving) so I didn’t even think there was an “other” potato! Say Anything is my all time favorite movie, too, I think I’ve pretty much got it memorized by now :-)

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Jennie,
Yes, it was the same way with my family. Sweet potatoes were only served at Thanksgiving and Christmas, sometimes with marshmallows and sometimes with pecans, but I thought they were completely disgusting. I’ve come a long way. :)

Monica February 21, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Haha, you crack me up! Tweezers are a must, I have to agree. And glad to hear that we aren’t the only family rocking a Honda from the late 90s.

Jasper February 21, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I could watch You’ve Got Mail one million times in a row…why is that? :)

Samantha February 21, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Random facts are so fun! It’s nice to hear someone else actually drives a car >10 years old…so many people look at us like we have third eyes when we tell them my Guam truck was 12 years old and now my VW is 13 years old.

Thankfully our tastes evolve! When I was a kid, only the starchiest veggies made my cut list and none of them ever green. Now I LOVE veggies of all kinds!

Jill February 21, 2012 at 5:42 pm

1.) I’m the same about apples. I think my roommates this it’s gross but are too nice to say anything!

2) You were sooo right about The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. It is getting so good in the strangest/most addicting/creepiest way. I read until I fell asleep last night…and feel like I will probably end up watching the movie (even if it scars me for life)

3) I wish I was better about plucking my eyebrows-it makes me sneeze so much that I avoid doing it until I’m on the verge of a unibrow.

3) I wish I was more a

Jen February 21, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Oh my gosh – I am the same way about the Dragon Tattoo books! I never thought I’d read them, but was convinced and became hooked on the first one. But I have no idea why…I was creeped out/scared to death through half of the first one – and yet couldn’t stop reading it. Weird. I stay up late reading (the only time I have) – but it’s giving me problems actually getting to sleep. I think I’m going to need a night light! The 2nd book is getting off to a good start.

And Heather – (sorry to hijack haha!), I think Jennifer Connelly could definitely play you! You both have a sophisticated, down to earth type feel and warming quality. But I think Naomi Watts too for some reason – have no idea why! Also – WHEN are you going to start marketing those Oaties?! Seriously girl – you have a franchise on your hands there :)

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Jill,
So glad you’re enjoying the book – took me a while to get into it as well, but then I didn’t want to put it down!

Rachel @ I'm Loving Today February 21, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Ahhh.. can I pplleeeaasseee come to your dinner party? That sounds very much like my list of five I’d invite to mine! So, I guess it’d actually have to be “6 people you’d invite to a dinner party.” I could just hide under the table or in the corner behind a big plant or something….

At this dinner party, I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t be the only one sucking down apples to their seeds… I do the same thing and I think it grosses people out a bit to witness. Love me some apples!

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Rachel,
Yes, you are welcome to our dinner at our house anytime! I’ll make sure to have the apples stocked. :)

teabagginit February 21, 2012 at 9:00 pm

man, i’m in love with your oaties and have devoted many a posts to them! :) so good – now i’ll definitely need to try and add granola to them!
ps – the last time i ironed, i burnt my hand. that was 14 years ago!

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Tea,
I love your love of Oaties…much more fun than ironing. :)

Marty February 21, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Light bulbs weird! Apple, same same! Perfume same same! Plucker, not as much! Agree with mudroom, et al ESP with your two new Heablets on the way! Love the list and answers, good one to send around to your friends! Xoxo

Em (Wine and Butter) February 22, 2012 at 3:24 am

I love YOUR giving spirit! I think you are just about the nicest blogger Ive come across!

I also eat every part of the apple – even the bottom and the top. I do the same with mangoes and kiwis and their skin. Something about seeing apple cores (especially discarded on public transport) just totally grosses me out. SO I try not to put other people through that (but only do the mango, kiwi thing when I buy organic!)

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 9:28 am

Aww, thanks Em! I eat the whole kiwi too. :)

Catalina @ Cake with Love February 22, 2012 at 11:12 am

When I eat an applea I eat the seeds too, sure the apple has to be local or organic. I started doing this many years ago, after I read an article that the seeds contain iodine, which is very good for the thyroid gland. It is a small habit that stuck with me.

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 9:28 am

Catalina,
Interesting – I’ve never heard that about apple seeds.

the delicate place February 22, 2012 at 12:32 pm

ha the beater! i do the same thing with apples and i never iron either! we are cut from the same cloth ;) i love my miss cherie by dior perfume but i am very particular in that i only can handle a very light mist. i hate when you get into an elevator with a smoker or old lady who has drown herself in a wank stench. yeeeech!

joelle (on a pink typewriter) February 22, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I love learning random things about bloggers! SO fun.. i love crunchy apples too. I cannot stand soft fruit.

Laura February 22, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Awww, the part about your wish coming true with the 3-4 babies gave me chills. :) I also hated sweet potatoes as a kid! Now I can and do eat them for every meal (cold with almond butter and cinnamon for breakfast is a favorite :) ).

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 9:30 am

Laura,
Love that breakfast. :)

jenna February 22, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Ohhhh dear! I’ve just made your chocolate chip oaties recipe and I think I might be gaining some weight in the near future! I see you’ve made a few other oatie combos (maple nut!!!!), and I can’t wait to try them next.

I used coconut oil instead of butter (I try to keep as vegan as possible) and they are a bit crumbly. This won’t be enough to deter me from eating these oaties daily, but I’m wondering if it’s the coconut oil substitution that caused this. I notice that you wrote that you always use butter butter, Heather, but I’m wondering if anyone has had the same experience. Maybe I’ll try adding flax egg next time.

Also, if people want to make these sugar free, you can omit the syrup and use 3 drops of vanilla stevia instead like I did. Maybe this caused the crumbliness?

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 9:37 am

Jenna, so glad you tried the Oaties, and I would guess it’s the absence of maple syrup causing them to be crumbly. I would add a little liquid to the batter – almond or coconut milk. A flax egg would probably help as well. Hope this helps!

Nikki February 22, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I feel like an odd man out here… I iron all the time.

Did you at least rip all your tunes to the comp before you sold your CDs? I did that a few years ago, and meant to sell mine, but instead I keep hoarding them. I really need to get on that!
I hear you on the mudroom! don’t have one, but hope one day to add one on.
Thanks for all the insight on you! It is neat hearing about random things about people! :)
And oaties… email me when you start taking orders and shipping! :)

HEAB February 24, 2012 at 9:40 am

Nikki,
Yes, I downloaded all of my CD’s years ago and never listen to them anymore. Just couldn’t give them up, but it was finally time. We need the space. :)

Oh, and if I ever go mail order with the Oaties, you’ll be the first to know!