Goodwill Frame Project

by HEAB on March 3, 2012

A few months ago, I bought several photo frames at Goodwill.  I should have taken before pictures of them (they were old blah brown wood but only $.99 each), and here are some of the finished products…

The two front frames came from Goodwill, and the other two are actually craft frames from Michael’s .

First, I spray painted the one below with spray paint leftover from this project.  Easy.

Next up, I painted several layers of paint on the following frame alternating between yellow and white.  I then roughed it up with some sandpaper and finished it off with a tiny bit of brown acrylic paint mixed with clear gloss.

For the Michael’s frame, I covered the first one in tissue paper that came with an Anthropologie purchase.  Just cut the tissue paper into squares and brush onto frame in overlapping layers with a glue + water mixture. Again, finish off with a coat of clear gloss.  I also painted the sides and back of the frame with brown acrylic paint.

The above three frames took less than an hour of to make, not counting drying time.  The yarn covered frame took a while longer, and you can read more about it here.

Now I have four new frames all ready for Emily’s future pictures of the twins. :)

Nikki March 3, 2012 at 11:31 am

I just want to say I love how your blog has evolved! The food and recipes were always good, but it’s great to see your other creative side to give us ideas in the other areas of our lives! I love the colours for the twin’s room!

HEAB March 6, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Thanks so much Nikki. The blog is kind of all over the place these days, and it makes me happy to hear that you’re enjoying the randomness. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 3, 2012 at 11:38 am

Love the frames! I really like the antiqued look on the blue and white frames. I need to start doing more around the house. I’m hoping to have the time soon. I can’t wait to see the twins’ pictures in there too!

I hope you’re feeling better this week. Have a great weekend Heather!

HEAB March 6, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Thanks Sarena.
I’m trying to get all my crafting in now…I have a feeling I won’t have much time for it come this summer. :)

Ashley March 3, 2012 at 11:39 am

Look at you and your craftiness. Love it!

Mindy - clueless nut March 3, 2012 at 11:42 am

I love DIY! The frames look great.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga March 3, 2012 at 11:45 am

You are so prepared…you already have (homemade & adorable) frames ready and waiting. They look great!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli March 3, 2012 at 11:48 am

I love it when you get all crafty! I still haven’t unpacked most of my picture frames from when I moved into the new house…almost a whole year ago! My how time flies! I love the tissue paper idea…might have to give that one a go! Hope you have a great weekend my dear friend!

robyn jones clark March 3, 2012 at 12:47 pm

i’m in love with the yarn one! i’m going to have to do that!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats March 3, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Those look so great! I wish I could be creative. By the way, I hope you weren’t affected too badly by yesterday’s weather!

HEAB March 6, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Kerry,
We weren’t – thanks for the concern. We had some crazy sized hail, but no major damage. We were fortunate.

Jen March 3, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I’m just redecorating my apartment and this is such a great and inexpensive idea, Heather! Thanks!

HEAB March 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Jen,
Welcome – have fun with your frames! :)

Samantha March 3, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Love them all, the yarn one just screams ‘fun!’ I pinned a anthro/uo knockoff recently I need to try. And have been rolling paper beads to recycle mags and want to do a frame out of those too. Must add the tissue paper frame to my ‘to do’ list.

HEAB March 6, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Sam,
I want to learn how to roll paper beads – I love the paper bead jewelry!

Health Bee March 3, 2012 at 7:05 pm

They’re beautiful! Love the tissue paper one.

Natalie March 3, 2012 at 8:27 pm

love them! you’re so creative and thrifty!

Felicia March 3, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Loving all of these DIY posts :) they look great!

Ashley March 3, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Hey Heather,
Your frames are beautiful!
I have another agenda with this comment though. I just discovered a piece of Heaven at Trader Joe’s. I know you love ice cream and I know you went through a thing with TJ’s mini peanut butter cups. Well, in case you haven’t checked in their freezer, they sell the two COMBINED with CARAMEL. I think you’d love it. I hope you can get your hands on some soon!

HEAB March 6, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Thanks again Ashley – it’s so good! :)

Sophie March 4, 2012 at 6:58 am

Hello,

They are so beautiful and creative!

I just want to say a massive THANK YOU! Since eating more HEAB like and embracing my fats as number 1 my skin, hair, mood and strength are amazing. I’ve never felt this good in my life!

I find myself eating numerous eggs, 100% chocolate and fish every day! What’s your favourite way to prepare fish?

THANK YOU!

HEAB March 6, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Sophie,
Oh good – I’m so happy to hear it. It’s amazing what a little more (or a lot more in some people’s case) fat will do for you body, especially the skin, hair, and energy levels. Glad you’re feeling better and as far as my favorite way to prepare fish goes, I usually keep it pretty simple – a little butter and a squeeze of lemon and bake. Nothing too fancy. :)

Emily @LivingLongfellow March 4, 2012 at 7:28 pm

That colorful string one is gorgeous. I bet I could do this with my students.

HEAB March 6, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Emily,
I loved how the yarn covered frame turned out, but it took about 2 hours. I would definitely use smaller frames with your students. Hope they enjoy the project! :)

Stephanie March 4, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I should focus on the lovely, crafty frames, and be impressed with your creative mind… and I am, partly, but I’m also thinking how much more I would like shopping at Michaels store if they punctuated it correctly, like you did here. :) Happy week, HEAB!

HEAB March 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Stephanie,
Ha, you’re so right – I never noticed that before.

Em (Wine and Butter) March 5, 2012 at 6:30 am

I love your photos! They seriously are so beautiful!

HEAB March 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Thanks Em. :)

Riss March 5, 2012 at 8:17 am

So charming! And they would make lovely gifts, too. Oh, the things I wish I could do if I just had a little more TIME!

HEAB March 6, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Riss,
I know. I’m trying to fit it all in now – before the twins arrive. I could spend all day doing arts and crafts – if only I didn’t require sleep. ;)

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites March 5, 2012 at 3:18 pm

you need to put your adorable crafting and photos on craftgawker :) I am obsessed with all of the good ideas over there! Your frames are very cute Heather

HEAB March 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Jasper,
Craftgawker – addicting!!! Between that and Pinterest, I could do craft projects all day. Very inspiring. :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 5, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I love the frames, but really my comment is for the last post (since comments are closed). I made the flourless muffin this weekend and it was amazing. I added in some walnut meal (just walnuts that I ground finely) which was ahhh-mazing. :) My husband loved it too!

HEAB March 6, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Lauren,
Thanks for sharing. So glad you and your husband enjoyed it. I bet it was amazing with the walnut meal. I’ve been on a walnut kick lately. Yum! :)