A Colorless Lunch

by HEAB on March 9, 2012

This is why I haven’t been blogging about food much…

My meals are ugly and colorless (except for maybe the buffalo wing sauce).  Pictured above is the 1st course of today’s lunch: chopped turkey burger with provolone and sauce.

2nd course…

Toasted everything bagel with whipped cream cheese.  I like to tear apart the bagel and smear it around in the leftover wing sauce.  Seriously, why do I only consume bagels when pregnant?!?  They are so freakin’ good!

So, to make up for my unphotogenic lunch, here is a painting I worked on while eating…

Happy Weekend!

Ashley March 9, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Seriously LOVE that painting!!!!!!!

Jenny March 9, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I’m right there with you Heather. All of my favorite foods are brown. Nut butters, oatmeal, chocolate. Green is overrated ;)

Ana March 9, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Haha, I like this comment Jenny! You cited one of my favorite foods too, but I do love quite a bit the green ones too! :-)

HEAB March 14, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Jenny,
Concur…100%

Kerry @ Totes My Oats March 9, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Beautiful painting! I can down some bagels… they’re delicious!

j3nn March 9, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Colorless or not, I still think your lunch looks DELISH! Love that squooshy bagel.

Jeni March 9, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I think that is a great lunch.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm

This is why I haven’t posted much about food lately! I’m not sure how many times I can post over easy eggs on a salad covered with nutritional yeast. BORING! Wing sauce though…that is definitely a great addition to bagels with cream cheese.

katie @KatieDid March 9, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I would probably pick lunch course #1 at a restaurant to be honest, I think it sounds awesome haha! color or not.

HEAB March 14, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Katie,
Well, that makes me feel much better. I’d be happy to serve it to you. :)

Ana March 9, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Your food is never ugly Heather, I love all your posts!
Hope everything is going well with this pregnancy, I can’t imagine how different it might be to be pregnant with twins… and commenting regarding my other comment this week, no puffins this time around? wow! Well, I am here enjoying them for you three, haha! We just finished the box of PB puffins today and Matheus was already asking if we could try the cinnamon one next – I want to try the multigrain too.. didn’t I tell you we are enjoying it for all of you?!
Take care friend and have an awesome week with your lovely ones too!

HEAB March 14, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Hi Ana,
This pregnancy started out just like my first one, and I was hoping that like last time, the nausea would subside around week 15 or 16, but nope, still there. However, it is much better than it was those first few months. I just have to eat smaller meals throughout the day to keep from getting sick, and nights are still no fun. So happy to hear you guys are enjoying some Puffin love – ha, you can have ‘em! ;)

Cate March 9, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Actually, that turkey burger looks pretty brilliant. =D I think I need ground turkey and wing sauce now.

HEAB, have you ever considered writing and illustrating a children’s book? I can see you doing that.

HEAB March 14, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Cate,
No, I haven’t, but I think I would love to do something like that one day. Who knows? :)

Katheryn March 9, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Ah, I’m the same way with bagels. When I’m not pregnant I never order or buy bagels. Gross! But when I’m pregnant – watch out. That is all I want. No veggies and lots of bagels.

Emily March 9, 2012 at 5:57 pm

::in Homer Simpson voice:: mmmmmm, baaaagels…….

Cara (Twinthusiast) March 9, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I subsisted on white carbs for months, haha. Ok and prenatal vitamins…you’re doing great!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 9, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Such a cute painting!!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon March 9, 2012 at 7:36 pm

So…I was going to comment that your painting is definitely more beautiful than your lunch…but i figured a more hefty compliment was in order (no offense to your lunch!)
I love love love love the painting–it is absolutely adorable and I’d pay money for it!

HEAB March 14, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Thanks so much Jamie. :)

Gina March 9, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Your painting is beautiful!! When I was pregnant I went through a period where I just wanted potatoes. White potatoes. Cooked in any possible way. Bagels seem good too though!

HEAB March 14, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Gina,
I love white potatoes – been eating them as snacks with nothing but sea salt. So good!

Mama Pea March 9, 2012 at 11:22 pm

When I was pregnant with Gigi, I ate a cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese every morning for breakfast. And a root beer float for dessert. Yowza.

Have a great weekend!

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 10, 2012 at 1:04 am

colorless food is ALL I ate for so much of my pregnancy..saltines, bagels, toast, crackers, pizza crust, yeah…it was white carb central. It’s the only thing I wanted!

Health Bee March 10, 2012 at 1:59 am

Love the beautiful painting.

Marty March 10, 2012 at 4:32 am

Dang, I miss bagels! No GFV ones anywhere…!

Love, love that painting!

The Delicate Place March 10, 2012 at 9:40 am

oh you should see some of my meals…that’s usually why very few end up on my blog haha. as long as it tastes good right? i really like the painting you are working on, very cute & spring like :) is it for the nursery?

HEAB March 14, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Melissa,
Yes! Hope to post pics of the nursery soon as it’s just about finished. :)

Stefanie March 10, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Did you know that I had a bagel with yummy full fat whipped cream cheese just about every day of my pregnancy? It was glorious. Keep up the good work! Love ya!

HEAB March 14, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Stef,
Love it and love you. Still owe both you and Kate Happy Birthday calls. Oh, and we got the IKEA dresser. It’s perfect!

pure2raw twins March 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm

love the painting!
and Gary loves his everything bagels :)
xoxo
~Lori

Sara Lake March 10, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I have the same problem since really increasing my vege consumption and cutting back on sugar. How many plates of veges do blog readers really want to look at?
Your painting is so cute! It reminds me I must get back to it (along with piano playing, and revising German and Italian). So many things just slide by the wayside. It’s less effort to just flop in front of CSI every night…

HEAB March 14, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Sara,
I know – if I posted what I ate everyday, people would get so bored of me! :) Hope you get back in touch with your creative side soon…you can always practice German and Italian on the couch. Would probably be best though if you weren’t watching CSI…or better yet, I think some TV’s offer subtitles in different languages. ;)

Lou March 11, 2012 at 3:54 am

Oh I hear ya… I was all about white/yellow when pregnant, bread+ cheese. Green? You’re dreaming!

I do like a good blueberry bagel, that’s colourful!

You make up with the lack of colour in food with lovely pretty colours in your art :) CUTE

HEAB March 14, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Lou,
Well, you’d be proud. Just ate a lunch full of greens. Actually wanted broccoli and then balanced out the veggie intake with some Oreo mint ice-cream. :)

Cecilia March 11, 2012 at 6:45 am

Love that painting!!! And I still love your colorless meal regardless.

callie March 11, 2012 at 12:51 pm

haha! I feel like I’ve been sans food post because I’m eating the same dame thing 3 times a day… Or at least, that’s what it feels like! Smoothies, smoothies and more smoothies! Cute painting, btw!

Alex @ Spoonful of Sugar Free March 12, 2012 at 7:48 am

LOVE the painting :D the dots!!!

Joss March 12, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Cute painting! You are tres talented ;)
mmmm everything bagel..so good SO GOOD! Enjoy what you enjoy ;)

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites March 13, 2012 at 8:55 am

you’ll know you’ve arrived when your kiddo’s artwork begins to surpass your own…not that mine was any good but I remember after nannying for one year when the 8 year old started cranking out these gorgeous paintings…I kept buying her canvas to try and keep the genius

HEAB March 14, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Jasper,
Love that you kept encouraging the little one. Must always encourage the genius. :)

Samantha March 13, 2012 at 4:39 pm

That plate is so beautiful, the birds are precious! I wish you took commissions. :) I’d love to have you paint pieces for my class!

Speaking of, I know you looked into ChildLight for your desires down the road. Let me just say the training this weekend was amazing! Our instructor was Sally Delisle and she is nothing but lovely. The course was affordable (although my plane ticket was 4+ times the cost of the workshop!), the materials were comprehensive, resources list very extensive, the flow of the weekend was easy and conducive to learning with a good blend of sitting and learning as well as actual yoga. I’d never done partner poses before so I was nervous, and excited to be the top part of a double down dog! I would highly recommend taking it at Wilmington Yoga Studio if they offer your desired course there when the time comes. Really really great studio with an attentive, zen and positive staff, beautiful, calming facility, and amazing CoOp and restaurant downstairs.

HEAB March 14, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Sam,
I so wish I had the time to paint more – I’d love to paint for others, and thank so much for the teacher training info. Sounds like you really enjoyed your time there. How was the test portion? I know you were nervous about that.

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness March 14, 2012 at 12:36 pm

What a gorgeous painting! You are very talented!!!

HEAB March 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm