Out of Bagels

by HEAB on March 14, 2012

I ran out of my beloved everything bagels earlier this week and decided to bust open the huge box of Kashi blueberry waffles I bought at Costco a few weeks ago.   During my last toaster waffle phase, many of you told me that Kashi makes an excellent waffle (but they’re hard to find!), and so when I saw spied them in the freezer aisle, into the cart they went.  Yes, I’m willing to buy in bulk if you guys say it’s good.

First Kashi waffle experience…

Topped one with whipped cream cheese and the other with peanut butter <–YUM.

Today, I went a different route and made my first ever wafflewich…which I’ve been meaning to try for years.  ’Bout time HEAB!

A savory sweet combo of blueberry waffles, scrambled egg, melted provolone, and maple syrup.  Scarfed it down.  My first wafflewich, but definitely not my last!

I’d put the Kashi frozen waffles right up there with Eggo (the best in my opinion).  Van’s texture if just too funky – they never get crisp on the outside – too cakey, but maybe that’s just because I’ve only tried their gluten free versions.  So, that’s my waffle rant for the day. Bye now. :)

Kim @ Spoonful of Sass March 14, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Wafflewich sounds right up my alley. Egg and cheese sandwiches are by far the most satisfying and filling breakfast for me, and adding sweet waffles just sent that breakfast to the top of my list! Perhaps a stop at the store is in my near future…

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Kim,
I hope so. It was a delicious combo! :)

Jennie (the gf-gf) March 14, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Sounds yummy! I think I ate a PB&J wafflewich for breakfast just about every day when I was in junior high (before I knew I can’t eat gluten). And I agree, the gf waffles just can’t compare!!

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen March 14, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Wow, I need to get on board too. Looks delicious!

Stephanie March 14, 2012 at 2:14 pm

We bought the very same waffles at Costco last weekend!!!

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Stephanie,
Great minds think alike. :)

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat March 14, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I love waffle-wiches! My favorite is peanut butter and banana smooshed in between ‘em :) I agree about Van’s Waffles, their “light” ones are a little better than the GF but still not very crispy. I’m so glad to know that the Kashi waffles are at Costco, I’m going to have to get on that!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama March 14, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Love that sweet and salty combination! Waffle (or pancake) sandwiches are the best.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 14, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I haven’t bought waffles in years. I’m a waffle freak and I like them super toasted. I love my savory waffles (made with chickpea flour and oats) and I’m also loving my peanut flour waffles for a treat with hemp fudge smeared in the grooves. Now I need a waffle!

Lindsay March 15, 2012 at 9:15 am

What is hemp fudge? I’m intrigued!!

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Lindsay,
Here is Sarena’s recipe for Hemp Fudge: http://www.thenondairyqueen.com/2010/06/weird-foods-and-hemp-protein-powder.html. I’ve made it before, and although I’m not a fan of hemp protein powder, I really enjoyed this recipe.

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Sarena,
…and I need tome peanut flour waffles with fudge. :)

Katie March 14, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I used to eat pancake sandwiches all the time. Best use of leftover pancakes in my opinion – with a little slice of turkey and some avocado? YUM. Add some bacon and we’re talking about heaven.

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Katie,
Yeah, that does sound pretty heavenly. :)

jill March 14, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I like van’s and Nature’s Path. I’m always open to new ones in the freezer, but there’s no kashi around me. So many topping options and great with breakfast or to add into any meal or snack. But , yeah, Eggo is the best and my “go-to”.

the delicate place March 14, 2012 at 3:04 pm

the breakfast-wich is a thing of beauty. never tried those frozen waffles, the only ones i’ve ever had were growing up with EGGO! ha ha, i never blogged about this but i used the coconut flour pancake recipe and sandwiched in eggs, lingonberry jam (yes from ikea lol) & gruyere cheese. i was mystified but it was hideous!

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Melissa,
That combo does not sound hideous to me. Not at all!

Raychel March 14, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I used to love freezer waffles when I was a kid – blueberry all the way. Just this last weekend, I was at Natural Products Expo West at which Ezekiel brand had us sample their new sprouted grain blueberry waffles. AMAZING! Super crunchy, juicy blueberries – everything I remember from Eggo ones. I can’t wait until they come to stores this June/July!

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Raychel,
Good to know – I’ll be on the lookout!

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 14, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I haven’t a waffle, frozen or otherwise, in years! I did *just* get a waffle iron last week and need to bust it out. Or just buy some frozen ones :)

Your first wafflewich looks stellar! Love the diversity of flavors and textures going on.

Coco March 14, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I agree–Eggo and Kashi Blueberry > Van’s.

kathleen @ the daily crumb March 14, 2012 at 3:52 pm

out of bagels?! i can’t imagine anything worse :) your breakfast sammie looks delish!

nicole March 14, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Whhhaaattt??? this is your first time trying those things??? Dang girl! I’ve been eating those for yearrsss with PB and banana or as an eggwich (which sounds so good right now, it’s been a while) they have been my go-to on-the-go breakfast forever! So glad you’ve finally jumped on the bandwagon!!
I actually enjoy the Vans GF ones. They do have kind of a funky texture but I actually like that. I think I may have tried those Vans ones through you..ha
Now go get yourself some bagels!!

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Nicole,
I know – been so outta of the waffle loop. Oh, and bought some Thai Kitchen coconut milk to try the whipped cream again. Wish me luck. :)

Gina M. March 14, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I love wafflewiches. When I make gf waffles, I usually do a double batch and freeze some and then I make sandwiches. I like blueberry with uncured ham, egg, and sharp cheddar…so good. Sorry you were out of bagels but, IMO waffles are superior. :)

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Gina,
I bet the addition of ham is amazing. Must remember that for next time!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss March 14, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Sweet and savory is the way to go!!

Bridget March 14, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I’ve tried Van’s regular waffles and they have the same texture problem. You’re right, never crispy. It’s not just the gluten-free!

Jasper March 14, 2012 at 4:28 pm

you could buy bagels in bulk, too ;D

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Jasper,
Yep, they’re on the Costco list for this weekend. :)

Hannah March 14, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Aaaaah wafflewich sounds so good!! I don’t know if I can get frozen waffles in Aus. Probably can, but I reckon they’d be pretty terrible. A girl can dream though…

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Hannah,
The list of things for you try when you come visit just keeps growing and growing! :)

Erica March 14, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Ive never tried the waffle egg sandwich. I’m so intrigued. Glad you’re enjoying :)

Shelby March 14, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I love the idea of sweet blueberry waffles with savory fillings. I’m definitely adding bacon though ;)

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Shelby,
Good call. :)

Baking Serendipity March 14, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I haven’t made a waffle sandwich since…high school, maybe?! You’ve definitely inspired me to make a grown up version with better ingredients!

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Baking Serendipity,
Enjoy the wafflewich love once again. It’s time. :)

robyn jones clark March 14, 2012 at 6:32 pm

i enjoy the kashi ones, but love the eggo whole wheat ones.. they toast up just right…. I like them crispy :)

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:21 pm

RJC,
Yes! Crispy is key, and one does it better than Eggo. :)

Caitlin @livelovenyc March 14, 2012 at 6:39 pm

yum!

i am a fellow bagel enthusiast. i should sent you some nyc bagels! they’re crazy :)

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Caitlin,
I wish. I had one once. Most amazing bagel ever.

kristen @ verbs and vignettes March 14, 2012 at 8:14 pm

oh my goodness! i just bought frozen waffles this week. they’re always the thing i impulsively buy and immediately forget in the back of my freezer. i don’t understand why. WAFFLES, on a weekday, is a good way to start the day.

this routine ends now. :-) your cream cheese + pb waffles look stupendous.

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Kristen,
Hope you’re enjoying the waffle love. :)

katie @KatieDid March 14, 2012 at 8:32 pm

mmmm to that wafflewhich. Throw a little avocado on there (if you’re into them these days!) and that would be perfection. I miss cinnamon apple mini eggo waffles from my childhood (frozen straight from the freezer!).

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Katie,
Totally into avocados. Good call!

Katie March 14, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I made your lactation cookie. They are soo soo good. I keep telling myself well Its ok to have another…good for the milk supply haha.

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Katie,
It’s totally okay. Making milk uses a lot of energy. So, eat up, and I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed the recipe! Thanks for letting me know. :)

Chris March 14, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Gotta agree with you, I love Ego waffles…my favorite waffle ‘wich , 1 egg plus 1 egg white over easy on with a smear of avocado and chipotle gouda cheese melted on top!!! This is my go to combo! It’s also yummy on raisin bread and whole grain english muffins!

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Chris,
OK, that sounds amazing. Heck, the chipotle gouda cheese sounds amazing all on its own.

lindsay March 14, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I use to eat Kashi waffles like there was no tomorrow. Until i got deathly sick and found out part of it was gluten allergy. But you know what, I still crave the darn thing! Van’s is just too dry. Oh me oh my, enjoy it for me HEAB!
xoxo

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Lindsay,
Will do, and hopefully someone will create an amazing GF toaster waffle soon, and if not, Sarena has some great GF homemade waffle recipes!

Lou March 14, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I’ve never tried a frozen waffle… I can’t remember the last time I made waffles. BUT I do have a waffle iron that makes penguin shaped waffles, with a a little hollow in it’s tummy for a scoop of ice cream ;)

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Lou,
That is freaking brilliant. I want one…or maybe I just really want some ice-cream right now. ;)

Chris March 14, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Bagels? Bagels? We don’t need no stinkin’ bagels! lol

Okay, I am not sure if you would get my lame joke.

Actually I LOVE bagels. Your food always looks great! I need to start my blogs!!! I haven’t started yet! lol

Chris =)

lena March 15, 2012 at 4:02 am

Just the combi i love too!, I usually have the Ego waffleswich with microwaved-scrambled eggs! Best combi! :)

Gina March 15, 2012 at 7:57 am

Mmmm….I LOVE a wafflewich! That is the main reason I always double or triple waffles when I make them. I like to freeze them to use for wafflewiches!

Jill March 15, 2012 at 8:17 am

When you do get around to replacing your bagels, you should get an asiago cheese one (or more :-) ) from Panera for your sandwich. Even just scrambled eggs and melted cheese is delicious but somtimes I’ll add a little spinach and/or tomato-if vegetables even sound edible to you now!

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Jill,
Oh my, I had the Panera asiago bagel a few months ago when my mom and I were at the GH Mall. It was around Christmas and so crowded, and I started feeling really sick. Had to eat and had to eat a bagel. It was exactly what I needed! I should go buy a whole bag b/c your combos sound great! Have you gone on your trip yet? Been thinking about ya, and if so, hope you had a blast!

AllieNic @ Frisky Lemon March 15, 2012 at 9:22 am

Love waffle/pancake sandwiches! I usually do a coconut flour pancake sandwich with almond butter and thin apple or nectarine slices…OR an egg and some delicious bacon. I call them “NicGriddle” sandwiches…You should call yours HEABgriddles… ;)

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm

AlliNic,
Ha – HEABgriddles. I love it! Also loving the sound of your coconut flour pancake almond butter apple sandwich. That sounds amazing.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 15, 2012 at 10:23 am

I have Kashi waffles in my freezer right now, and have been making a “wafflewich” using greek yogurt, fruit and peanut flour butter in the middle. I’ve got to try them with egg!
The waffles are good, but they’re a bit too flimsy (would that be the right word?) I don’t know- I’d like something more HEARTY with more of a bite to it I guess. They’ve been really handy in a pinch, though. :)

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Lauren,
Yeah, they were a bit floppy to use as “sandwich bread” but still delicious. :)

Ameena March 15, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I’ve never tried Kashi waffles before. Or Kashi anything for that matter…apparently I’ve been living under a rock?

Looks delicious. Waffles are fantastic!

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Ameena,
No, you live in LA…the land of no-carb breakfasts. ;)

Stephanie March 15, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Waffles can really substitute for anything in cooking. For example, I didn’t bring any fruit to bring in my at-work yogurt breakfast one time, so I just cut up a waffle to put in it. Many people would have served the yogurt ON the waffle and had a different kind of meal, but that kind of power shift seemed too extreme for breakfast. ;)

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Stephanie,
I’ve done the same thing with ice-cream. Topped it with bits of toasted waffle. So good – waffle cone topping DIY. ;)

Alyssa March 15, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Yum!!!!!
I buy my husband Julian’s Recipe frozen Belgian waffles. They’re SO good, but no nutritional value whatsoever, lol!

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Alyssa,
Surely there is an egg in there or something. Protein & fat. ;)

Ana March 15, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I like Kashi waffles, my favorite is the original/7grain ones, they are good! I don’t have a toaster, or toaster oven, so I toast mine on the regular oven and they turn out delicious! I like spreading butter and lightly sprinkling salt on them as soon they come out of the oven, so good!
And of course, they are awesome with AB too.
Take care dear friend, hope all is well with you and the babies!

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Ana,
Yeah, I baked mine on the oven setting in our toaster oven. They come out much better that way. I really want to try the strawberry flax Kashi waffles. Must find some soon!

Leah Anderson March 16, 2012 at 7:55 am

Yum! That looks awesome! I love waffles! Your food combinations are awesome! I wouldve never thought to put provolone egg & syrup on a waffle! Love it

What brand bagels do you like? Everything bagels are my favorite!!

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Leah,
It was pretty tasty – like a waffle McGriddle. :)

I’ve just been buying the Thomas everything bagels, but the one pictured in this post was a generic plain. So tasty though.

Ammera March 16, 2012 at 9:33 am

Hi Heather! You’ve discovered the joy of wafflewiches! I know exactly what you mean about Van’s gluten-free waffles, but their regular ones are super tasty. My favorites are blueberry, multi-grain, Belgian and powergrains. I love the short ingredient list :o )

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Ammera,
OK, you’ve swayed me. I’ll give Van’s another go – but will definitely buy the regular ones. :)

STUFT Mama March 16, 2012 at 9:47 am

Oh that wafflewich- that soudns amazing! I’m going to have to copy you! :) Hope you’re feeling well! I think about you every day!

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Thanks Kristen. Think about you often too, and yes, try the Wafflewich – I think it would be great with some 3-ingredient fudge sandwiched in the middle. :)