Quick & Tasty Fish

by HEAB on March 15, 2012

A few weeks ago, Foodbuzz contacted me with an offer to sample Mrs. Paul’s and Van de Kamp’s ParchmentBake Fish.  Since I’ve been trying to eat more fish, I thought, Sure, why not?   A few days later,  some free coupons for the products arrived on my doorstep as part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program.

I decided to try both the Classic Grilled Tilapia and the Garlic Butter Tilapia.  First up was the Classic Grilled.  Preparation could not have been more simple: place parchment bag containing fish and sauce on baking sheet and bake 22 to 24 minutes.

It comes out of the oven all puffed up…

That’s it.  I opted for 24 minutes, and I was afraid I overcooked it since some of the fish stuck to the parchment paper.  I ate it atop a bed of steamed chopped broccoli with hot sauce.  Yes, I’m craving broccoli again…just have to make sure CD is at work when I steam it. :)

The fish was definitely not overcooked.  It smelled great and tasted delicious.  The sauce had a mild flavor, and the fish came out moist and flaky.  Perfect.

I love lox and cream cheese on bagels…so why not Garlic Butter tilapia and cream cheese?  Yep, the bagels have been restocked.

For the above fish, I went with 22 minutes, and this time, nothing stuck to the parchment paper.  However, I didn’t like the flavor as much as the Classic Grilled.  It was quite garlicky, and the fish didn’t taste as fresh.

What I really liked about the Mrs. Paul’s ParchmentBake fish was the ease of preparation along with the taste for the most part.  What I didn’t like was the long list of ingredients – I’m more of a simple girl when it comes to fish.  A little butter and a splash of lemon is all I really need.

P.S. And just so you know, Mrs. Paul’s Crunchy Fish Sticks are really good with mustard. ;)

Heather @ Bake, Run, Live March 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I had the Lemon Pepper Tilapia the other night! I am not a big pepper person, so it was a little strong on the pepper for me, but the lemon flavor was really nice.

Burnsy March 15, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Hey Heather!
I’m sorry I’m not commenting on the above – although the fish atop the broccoli looked absolutely amazing. I’m still making the sourdough bread every three to five days – absolutely delicious. I was wondering how it works without having to add yeast to the starter. As I started to wonder that, my bread has begun to not rise very much. The three loaves I made tonight are quite small. Just wondering if I am doing something wrong. Thanks for always taking the time to respond. Thanks and have a great night!

Burnsy

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Burnsy,
Hm, I’m not sure. Are you allowing the bread to rise in a warm place? I literally plug my Coscto Heat Dish in whenever I make it and point it directly at the rising loaves, and my mom always kept her rising bread atop her oven with the oven turned on low. Hope that’s the problem b/c it’s an easy fix. Otherwise, I don’t know what’s going on with the bread. Sorry. :(

Mama Pea March 15, 2012 at 9:53 pm

So I’ve heard that if you cook celery with broccoli it doesn’t stink so much. I always forget and just stink up the joint anyway. :)

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Mama Pea,
Really? Never heard that before. Definitely worth a try – thanks!

Katie March 15, 2012 at 10:16 pm

What isn’t good with mustard? Come on how. :D

Katie March 15, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Come on *now*

Lara March 15, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I’ve been eating my fair share of fish sticks lately so I’ll give these a try :) Van de Kamps was a childhood favorite of mine…

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Lara,
So funny that I am loving on the fish sticks these days as I refused to eat them growing up. I hated anything involving seafood until college, and now fish sticks are all I want every night for dinner! :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 15, 2012 at 11:52 pm

I got the fish too and Scott & Skylar ate it this week…the portions were SMALL though. Scott ate two packets! And Skylar got a bite, and then, I cooked another dinner for her. :)

Yours is gorgeous on top of the greens!

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Averie,
The portions were small, and I could have definitely finished off two with no problem…wish more came in the box. :)

j3nn March 16, 2012 at 9:06 am

OMG, the fish and cream cheese bagel is classic. It sounds so yummy! I love out-of-the-ordinary combos like that. And the little fillet atop of the broc looks delish, too. I <3 seafood!!

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Jenn,
The bagel combo was delicious – better than the broccoli. :)

Felicia March 16, 2012 at 9:10 am

love fish! cod and salmon are my favorite, and its so quick and easy to make. have a good weekend heather !

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites March 16, 2012 at 9:34 am

Foodbuzz’s Tastemaker program should send you some mustard coupons

Maria March 16, 2012 at 10:18 am

I got those coupons too! I definitely give what you suggested a try when I get them. Were you able to use all the coupons in one shopping trip?!

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Maria,
I used three all at once with no problem, and I still have one left. I think I need more fish sticks. :)

Maria March 16, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much!!

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood March 16, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Omigod, I love fish sticks! I haven’t had them since my college days… which is probably for the best since tartar sauce? Not good for my round tummy, haha ;)

I’m sending you something in the mail again… but I don’t know when it’ll arrive… because I don’t know when I’m mailing it… but it should be sometime in the upcoming week. So keep an eye out for it? I think you’ll like it… I hope, lol! =)<3

HEAB March 17, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Sylvia,
Oh my goodness – you know I love my packages from you, and so I’m pretty sure you won’t disappoint this time around. Thank you as always for thinking of me. You’re so very thoughtful. :)

Emily March 17, 2012 at 8:16 am

you got me started on kerrygold butter…help!! :D

Emily March 17, 2012 at 9:52 am

and mustard, Heather! :D

ps: can’t wait to see pictures of the twins. :D

HEAB March 17, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Emily,
Haha – nothing like a little butter and mustard to make a girl happy, no? Or a lot in my case. I always tell people once you go Kerrygold, you’ll never be able to buy generic butter again. It simply does not compare.

We can’t wait to see the twins either. I’m so curious to know what they’ll look like, if they’ll look alike, and if they will resemble their older sis. :)