The Twins’ Room

by HEAB on March 16, 2012

Well, nursery #2 is all ready.  When we decorated Summer’s room, we kept everything gender neutral so that we could use it again for future children.  However, Summer won’t be vacating her room for a while, and so we transformed our guest room into a room for the twins.  We wanted to go ahead and get everything in place so that I can get plenty of rest during my last few months of pregnancy.  When looking for nursery inspiration, it was really helpful to read where all items were purchased.  So, I’ve listed the details below each photo.

• Curtains – Pottery Barn Kids Mini Dot Panels with Blackout Liner in Grey (A gift from Nonna.  Thanks Mom!)
  • The painted unit used to house an old TV but now holds all the baby blankets.
  • The storage baskets are all from Target.  The smaller ones were on clearance a couple of weeks ago, and the two larger baskets are from the Smith & Hawkin line.
  • The chair is on loan from my mom…although it’s been a part of our guest room for a while now.  Since it matches, we decided to keep it in the twins’ room until we move them upstairs.  For the first several months, we plan to keep the babies down in the master bedroom with us.  So, we’re moving the LaZBoy from Summer’s room downstairs to use as a rocker/glider and will then put it in the twins’ room once they start sleeping upstairs.

The best advice I ever received regarding nursery furniture was to get a LaZBoy recliner instead of a rocker or glider.  I can’t tell you how nice it was during those middle-of-the-night sessions with Summer, and we often reclined back and took naps together in it during the day.  It’s big and comfy and is perfect for a breastfeeding pillow as well.  Plus, you can use it again in another room when you’re done rocking babies.  Thanks again to all of you who told me to go for the recliner. So glad we did!

This old entertainment center was left behind by a friend when she moved from Nashville to Seattle, and I happily claimed it.  It’s old and the paint is chipping, but I love it.  Again, we’re storing baby and swaddling blankets in the spot where the TV used to live.  There are a lot of blankets shoved in there, and it wasn’t very pleasing to the eye.  So, I bought some fabric and made a curtain using the no-sew method.  Yes, I ironed, and it was really easy!  The brushed nickel curtain rod and rings are from Target.

We thought it would be nice to have a bed in the twins’ room, and so we swapped out the double bed that used to be a part of our guest room with an old twin bed we had stored out back.  The bedding is all from Target, except for the alphabet pillow which was another gift from Nonna.  The nightstand consists of two crates I purchased at Michael’s years ago, and the bedside lamp is from Target.

So, that’s it.  I’m really pleased with how the room came together, and I hope the twins will be happy in it. :)

P.S. For all my fellow Nashvillians, we hired ModerNash to pick up our IKEA furniture in Atlanta.  They were great to work with, and I highly recommend them!  No affiliation with the company, we were just really pleased with their services.

Mandy March 16, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Looks FABULOUS! So smart to get it done in early days so you can rest rest rest! Thinkin’ ’bout ya all the time. xo

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Thanks Mandy. :)

Abbey March 16, 2012 at 3:28 pm

We had that yellow chair in our playroom when I was little! I loved it, so comfy! & btw I’m a twin :) congrats!! Room is too cute!

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Abbey – I love hearing from twins. All the twins or moms of twins I’ve heard from have only good things to say, and that gets me so excited about having twins of my own.

Jenn (eating bender) March 16, 2012 at 3:35 pm

The room looks INCREDIBLE, Heather! I love the entertainment center and curtain. The alphabet pillow is super cute, too. Basically I love it all. So excited for you! :)

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Thanks Jenn, we’re excited too. :)

Erica March 16, 2012 at 3:36 pm

SO cute Heather! I love it. I still don’t have a full bedding set for Kaylin. I’m going to check out amazon!

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Erica,
Amazon has some great crib bedding, and it’s pretty affordable compared to other places – especially for entire crib sets.

kristen @ verbs and vignettes March 16, 2012 at 3:44 pm

ADORABLE! I’m not looking for nursery ideas or plans, but I gotta say, the wrap-around LaZBoy couch I bought off my boyfriend’s dad is my favorite thing in my whole apartment. :-)

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Kristen,
LOVE our LaZBoy. It is the best!

Ana March 16, 2012 at 3:45 pm

The room look beautiful and I am sure the twins are going to love! And I see Summer also enjoying that bed you guys put in there :-)
Now you need to show us more pictures of your growing belly, you looked so pretty and glowing when you were pregnant with Summer Heather!
Love and hugs to you all!

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Ana, that is so sweet. Not feeling so glowing this time around, but I promise a belly photo soon! Hope you had a good weekend. :)

Grandma Honey March 16, 2012 at 3:58 pm

The room is so cozy beautiful. I wonder if you will want to put them in the same crib at first. It will be so fun through the months to see them interact. I have 2 year old grand twins, boy and girl, who have quite the conversations from their cribs.

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Hi Honey. Yes, we do plan to put the twins in one crib together for their first few months. I can’t wait to hear them talking to one another – that must be so adorable. Twin babble. :)

Ashley March 16, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Perrrrfection. Still LOVE those paintings!!!

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Thanks Ashley and good to know we picked out a good dresser. I’ve heard only good things about that line of IKEA furniture.

Ashley March 16, 2012 at 4:11 pm

p.s. we have that dress in brown/black and love it :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss March 16, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Very nice! It looks fantastic!

Abby March 16, 2012 at 4:40 pm

That’s not a room, that’s an apartment! It’s huge! Everything looks so great and I’m so excited for you guys…and I kind of want to crash in that chair.

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Thanks Abby, and you are welcome to crash in the twins’ room anytime. :)

maggie @ balance nyc March 16, 2012 at 4:55 pm

love it! i had that dresser but sold it when we moved cross country. it’s great – just make sure that you don’t overfill the drawers, because the bottoms will pop out. the curtain on the entertainment center is so cute.

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Thanks Maggie – good to know. No drawer stuffing! :)

j3nn March 16, 2012 at 5:15 pm

It’s beautiful, Heather! Looks like it could be straight out of a magazine. You have a knack for decorating, but then again, you are highly artistic, so I’m not surprised. The babies are going to love it! :)

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Oh wow, thanks Jenn. :)

robyn jones clark March 16, 2012 at 5:25 pm

love, love, love!!!! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) March 16, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I love repurposing furniture! We have a cabinet that we took the doors off of and it is a perfect bookshelf. The twins’ room looks perfect. Great call on the bed in there too. I’m guessing that will come in handy for late night feedings!

Matthew March 16, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Very cute! We are looking at LazyBoys thanks to your advice! Do you have any suggestions on whih model? Oh, and is yours a rocker-recliner? Thanks in advance, HEAB!

HEAB March 16, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Matthew,
We love our LaZBoy, and I believe this is the model we purchased: http://www.la-z-boy.com/Product/5516-7264/Maverick-Biscuit-Back-Recliner/, and yes, it rocks and reclines. Good luck with your nursery decorating – have fun with it! :)

Natalie March 16, 2012 at 7:09 pm

it looks amazing! love that you can fit a bed in there and made your own canvas prints. You’re so talented. Looks like a great and spacious room!

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Thanks Natalie. It is a big room. We live in an older home (built in the 1920′s), and the upstairs was a later addition. So, the kids have the big bedrooms, and us parents get the tiny master downstairs. It worked out great though since we don’t have a playroom. Their bedrooms are big enough to house all the toys!

Lindsay March 16, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I absolutely love the colour! Now I’m getting inspired… everything looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Shamima March 16, 2012 at 7:55 pm

It’s wonderful!! I love the paintings!!

Casey March 16, 2012 at 8:05 pm

It’s perfect! And I love that you did it in a realistic-budget manner. Precious. Just precious.

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Thanks Casey…I’m going to show CD your comment when he sees the AMEX bill from Target. ;)

Cara (Twinthusiast) March 16, 2012 at 8:13 pm

LOVE it! Love how it isn’t all boy=blue, girl=pink. So stylish and fun. Good call on having the bed in there too. At the very beginning the girls were sleeping in our room in a Pack N Play and Jim and I alternated sleeping in their room, haha. A bed would have been nicer than the mat on the floor! Seriously though, kudos for getting this done in advance so you can put your feet up (as much as you can with Summer) and relax in your 3rd trimester.

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Thanks so much Cara. We’re thinking of doing the same thing – keeping the twins down in the master bedroom with us, but I wasn’t sure if we should just bring a crib downstairs or put them both in the Pac-N-Play. With Summer, I just slept upstairs in the guest room (now the twins’ room). It was great b/c it was right next to her room and getting up with her in the middle of the night was not a problem, but now with two, both Chris and I will be getting up. So, I’m thinking just keeping the babies downstairs with us for a while will be easiest. I’m sure we’ll get it all figured out – just going to take some trial and error. :)

Lara March 16, 2012 at 8:13 pm

So cute Heabie! I love how you pull the whole room together without looking TOO “matchy matchy,” you know? It’s absolutely perfect :)

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Thanks Lara. I really like how it all came together as well – the colors just ended up all flowing together. It’s a happy room and makes me smile whenever I walk by. :)

Debbie March 16, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Thanks for letting us peek into your beautiful nursery. It’s darling. I love that you did the paintings above the beds. I’ll be waiting to hear the good news of the kiddos’ arrival! Rest up!

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Thanks Debbie. :)

kath March 16, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Looks great HEAB! You’re smart to get it done so early :)

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Thanks Kath. Looking forward to seeing your little one’s room. Nursery decorating is so fun. :)

pure2raw twins March 16, 2012 at 8:52 pm

love the twins room!!! adorable!
you make such an amazing mom!!!
we are loving your posts about the twins, it just makes think about our mom and if that is what she was feeling or thinking when she was carrying us :)
HUGS
L&M

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Pure2Raw,
I love that my posts make you think about what your own mom was thinking. Sometimes, I wish our moms had had blogs…but then I think about my tantrum stage at age 2 and perhaps having no record of that on the Internet is a good thing. ;)

Laurie March 16, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Heather~
I haven’t commented in quite some time, but I have been reading your daily blogs when I get them. CONGRATS on your pregnancy!! The twins’ room looks awesome – great job : ) You have great decorating ideas and I love the idea of a bed in your nursery – great idea!

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Thanks so much Laurie. :)

charlotte March 16, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Wow, what a beautiful room!!! You can tell already how much those babes are loved:)

Kellie March 16, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Wow! Heather, the room looks great! love those sweet beds with different bedding…your paintings just top everything off! Great job!

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Thanks Kellie. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 16, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Awesome job on their room!

Nothing like going from a family of 2 to a family of 5…in like…24 months :)

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Averie,
I know, kind of crazy, huh? I’ve been meaning to email you about your new blog – it’s exciting and a really good direction for you. Photos are beautiful as always. :)

Kay Rasmussen March 17, 2012 at 12:36 am

Just some twin Mom sharing. My twins b/g slept together in the bassinet for the first several weeks. They needed to still have that tight closeness. When they did go into their cribs, I had put them end to end against a wall, no matter how I layed them down, they would eventually be head to head against the crib walls. When my twin son figured out how, he would always get in to his sisters crib to sleep. Those were the days:)

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Kay,
That is so sweet. We plan to put the twins in one crib until they start moving around a lot, and I arranged their cribs so that they could see one another once they’re sleeping separately. I love that your son would crawl in with his sister…kind of melts my heart. :)

Samantha March 17, 2012 at 12:40 am

The whole room looks lovely…I love that you’ve used vivid colors! The fabric on the blanket storage is stunning, I’d kill to have some of that for a random project day. And you know I love your birdies painting. Great job and so nice that the two of you tackled it early!

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts March 17, 2012 at 1:56 am

This is a beautiful room – I would love to sleep in it so I’m sure your twins will :)

kara March 17, 2012 at 7:13 am

Looks so cute! When do we get to see baby bump pictures?? :-)

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Kara,
Soon. Promise! :)

Leah Anderson March 17, 2012 at 9:29 am

Wow – what a beautiful nursery! Love it!

Meagan March 17, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Heather – I love this! Thanks for the update and for sharing :D

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Thanks Meagan,
I love it too. :)

The Delicate Place March 17, 2012 at 1:44 pm

oh it looks great heather! i love the bird mobile, are you nesting yet? :)

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Melissa,
Been in major nesting mode over here for the past couple of months, and now it’s time to rest. My doctor told me to try and have everything in place by April 1, and we’re ready for the most part. Well, besides the fact that we still need a new car…but I’ve got CD working on that one. :)

jenna March 17, 2012 at 2:04 pm

It’s beautiful, Heather! You are so prepared! Now, just put your feet up and wait :) Twins must be less overwhelming when you’re all ready. We welcome belly photos whenever you feel like posting them..!

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Jenna, roger that. Belly photo coming soon. It finally popped. :)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood March 17, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Omigod, the twins’ room looks great! Now you can just relax until they come :)

Connie M. March 17, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I am fairly new to your blog, have gotten a few recipes from you(loved the flaxseed cake in a cup).
The babies room is ADORABLE! Great colors,a very cozy and warm room,and smart thinking to be ready for whats to come.
Great suggestion about the recliner.

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Connie,
Thanks so much for reading my blog and for your kind words. So happy to hear you’re enjoying the flaxseed cake. I ate a chocolate one last night. Yum. :)

Mama Pea March 17, 2012 at 11:01 pm

You have done such a great job. It’s just adorable.

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Thanks Mama Pea! :)

Marty March 18, 2012 at 4:43 am

Heather, how you’ve found the time amazes me! It’s adorable, and your paintings your kids will cherish forever! I love the re-purpose for the TV stand and the colors. How relieved you must be to have the room done early! Yeah! Xoxo

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Marty,
I had to work on it in bits and pieces here and there, and I tried to get most of it done on the weekend when Chris was home to watch Summer. We had help with painting and the furniture – that saved us lots of time! Definitely relieved it’s all done. Now it’s time to take it super easy. :)

Colleen Stewart March 18, 2012 at 7:15 am

You did such a great job with the new nursery! So cute!! Just love the old TV cabinet and what you did with it :) I’m just in love with the alphabet pillow :) You are very smart to get things done early Heather. You are going to need all the rest you can get :) Enjoy!!

Alisa March 18, 2012 at 8:24 am

Noticed both cribs have bumpers – any thoughts on the safety concerns w them? I’m shopping for nursery now so would be curious to know your thoughts. Thanks!

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Alisa,
Personally, I am a fan of the bumper as when Summer started moving around in her crib, we took it off, but she would get her chubby little thighs stuck in-between the crib railings and was not happy. So we put her’s back on and then took it off for good once she starting pulling herself up into a standing position. I know you can buy mesh bumpers if you’re worried about your baby rolling into them and want something a little more breathable, but we never had that problem with Summer.

katie @KatieDid March 18, 2012 at 8:39 am

Simple and gorgeous and from what I can tell, very your style. Lots of beautiful moments and memories to be made in there!

Alex @ Raw Recovery March 18, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Ikea rules! We got one near Denver about 8 months ago and luckily I live about 10 minutes away from one here in Pennsylvania. Great job with the twins’ room! I have family in TN and GA and know they are excited about the Atlanta Ikea.

HEAB March 18, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Alex,
So jealous of your IKEA options. Grateful for the one in Atlanta, but really hoping Nashville gets one of our own someday…or perhaps we should just move to Denver. That would work too. :)

Alyssa March 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm

It looks beautiful!

Jennifer March 18, 2012 at 5:04 pm

That’s a wonderful nursery! Very thoughtful and cozy.

beth March 18, 2012 at 8:33 pm

heather,
i’m amazed at your energy level, would you call yourself goal oriented? congrats on the final results, great to hear you are feeling well about it; smile time. thank you for making an effort to continue posting, at the same time, as well.
beth

HEAB March 19, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Beth,
Yeah, I’m pretty goal oriented and very stubborn. So, when I set my mind to do something, I get it done. Also, going to bed around 8 PM every night helps. I’m getting a lot of sleep these days. :)
Thanks for reading!

STUFT Mama March 19, 2012 at 1:04 am

Oh the room looks amazing! I love it! I got a wide recliner (after reading what other twin moms suggested it). It was a lifesaver. It was the only way I could feed both boys in the middle of the night.
Um….. I would also like to hire you as my personal decorator. :)

HEAB March 19, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Kristen,
Love my LaZBoy so much, and I would love to be your personal decorator. Now I just need to move to San Diego. :)

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites March 19, 2012 at 9:20 am

word! that entertainment center is precious! I’d carve out the back and stage puppet shows :)

HEAB March 19, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Jasper – I love that idea. :)

Nikki March 19, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I love the Nursery! It is neutral yet has GREAT punches of colour! I love the paintings you did in the room with the bedding, it all came together really well!

HEAB March 21, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Thanks Nikki. :)

Allison March 20, 2012 at 6:58 am

With my twins I noticed it was best to keep them in the same crib—they seemed more comforted that way. My mother told me when one wakes up you wake up the other. She had two sets so I found out she knew what she was talking about.

HEAB March 21, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Allison,
Yes, we plan on keeping them in the same crib for at least a few months. Cannot believe you have twins and your mom had two sets. Wow – so fun..and a lot of work I imagine. :)

Sabrina March 21, 2012 at 11:43 am

The room looks fantastic! I love it. Seems like it’s a pretty big room which is great since you’ll end up with lots of fun toys as they grow up! It’s going to be so much fun to have 3!

HEAB March 21, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Thanks Sabrina! Yeah, it is a nice sized room which works out great since we don’t have a playroom or anything. Plenty of room for both sleep and play time! :)

{ 2 trackbacks }