Letting Go

by HEAB on July 10, 2012

This blog has been my creative outlet for over three years now, and I’ve decided I NEED a creative outlet in my life.  So, in-between cuddle time, diaper changes, play dates, and walks with the stroller(s), I’ve decided to pop in when I have something to say, and today I have something to say.

I was not in a good place after I had Summer.  However, I didn’t realize that until I gave birth a second time.  The recent arrival of our twins has been an entirely different experience.  With Summer, breastfeeding didn’t work out, and I was devastated.  As grateful as I am that Summer got six months of my milk (I pumped), looking back, I put way too much pressure on myself.  We were on such a strict feeding/supplementing/pumping schedule, that I rarely left the house those first few months, and I didn’t want people coming over for visits.  It was hard.  I promised myself that if we had another baby, I’d go easier on myself, and with the twins I am.  I’ve let a lot go, and fortunately, we have help, lots of help.  In the past, I did not like to ask for or accept help.  Again, had to let that go.  Other things I’ve let go…The laundry.  Sometimes it gets done and sometimes not.  Sweeping the floors.  There is dog hair accumulating in the corners of several rooms.  Oh well.  Being anti-media.  Summer sometimes watches more than 30 minutes of her Veggie Tales DVD, and that’s okay.  Breastfeeding.  I am not going crazy trying to pump every 2 hours.  However, do you know what I am doing?  I’m enjoying every second that I can with our newborns.  We’re babywearing and cuddling, and it’s pretty amazing.  We’re inviting people over, and I’m getting out of the house when I can.  I’m taking Summer to play dates and story time at the library.   I”m making our children my number one priority, and everything else can wait. I’m listening to everyone who told me to enjoy every second of our new baby(ies) because they grow up way too fast.  It’s so true.

You know what else I’m doing these days?  Enjoying some good food,  Last night, our friends brought over quinoa casserole and 2-ingredient fudge.  Love when people stalk my blog and make recipes we love.  Thanks Tonya and Nate!

The quinoa casserole is similar to Ashley’s recipe, but with cottage cheese instead of chickpeas, and thyme instead of parsley.  So delicious!

And of course I enjoyed the 2-ingredient fudge over a bowl of warm cinnamon oat bran.  Some things never change. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 10, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I’m so glad things are easier this time around. I’m sure as a first time mom, I would be the same way. You were just looking out for Summer’s best interest, but it’s good to hear you say that this time around you’re doing the same thing but with a more relaxed approach. I want more pictures of those cutie pies! Are you doing a newborn session with the same photographer?

HEAB July 10, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Chelsey, and yes, the newborn photos with Emily Smallcomb are scheduled for August. We can’t wait. :)

Heather @ Bake, Run, Live July 10, 2012 at 5:59 pm

The saying “Live and Learn” is very true! Nothing that you did when Summer was born, was wrong. Now you are learning that there are different ways to approach it, and still be the best, loving mom to your precious babies and your beautiful little girl! People can offer advice, but sometimes we need to live through it to understand and grow. Sending you a big hug for learning to let go!
P.S. can’t wait to see more pictures!

HEAB July 10, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Thanks Heather – great advice. :)

Kate July 10, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Was so excited to see another post from you! You sound like you have grown so much since Summer’s birth — way to go Mama! Motherhood is so rewarding, but so challenging. Keep up the great work!

katie @KatieDid July 10, 2012 at 6:50 pm

So happy to see you pop back up and say hi, I enjoy your blog whether you’re blogging once a day or once every other month. And I’m so happy that you’re in a good place, I can only imagine how motherhood changes a person for the better.

j3nn July 10, 2012 at 6:54 pm

It sounds like you have found peace, the crucial component of a happy AND healthy life. That’s awesome! Enjoy your new level of happy living with your little ones. Glad to have you back. Hope you feel the need to release some pent up creativity more often. :)

jessie July 10, 2012 at 6:59 pm

So great to see you back and to hear you are making the effort to release yourself from the unneeded pressures and enjoy being a mommy! Look forward to more pics of all 3!!

Joy July 10, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Heab!
I love seeing a post from you pop up in my google reader! I’m glad your enjoying your kids! You and they deserve it!

Kendra July 10, 2012 at 7:12 pm

When I saw the title of your post, I thought this was going to be a “goodbye post,” as in, you were letting go of your blog. I am SO relieved to be wrong! I’ve missed reading your blog, but have held onto the hope that you’d be coming back some day. :-) Glad that you are enjoying your time with your precious family!

Averie @ Averie Cooks July 10, 2012 at 7:21 pm

GREAT to hear from you! I almost thought when I saw this post title that you were going to say…goodbye. Letting go of the blog. But thank goodness (for all of us), you’re not. But if you needed to, of course, with 3 kids under 3, hello, we’d all understand! Not that you need anyone’s permission or anything :)

Happy that you’ve decided to just go with the flow more. And what a great perspective you’ve gained re your postpartum period with Summer, coming at you only after you’ve had more kids.

I am so happy for you and your family, Heather! Things sound so good!

Colleen Stewart July 10, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I love your attitude Heather!! Enjoy your beautiful children and life!!! It’s great to have you back :)

Elaine July 10, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Good for you girl!! Enjoy the little things in life and take it day by day! Glad you reconsidered the posting….it’s your grown up time!

Jennie (the gf-gf) July 10, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Aw, HEAB, so glad to see a post from you pop up in my reader today :-) I’ve always loved that the message of your blog is about letting go and going with the flow – with food, and now with being a mom.

Emily July 10, 2012 at 7:42 pm

yaay! u are back! i’ve missed your blog!

Hannah July 10, 2012 at 7:44 pm

This post makes me so deeply happy. I am so, so happy to hear you’re going easy on yourself and letting the world ebb and flow around you as it will. Even though anxiety sometimes takes over my brain and burrows down into my stomach, I truly believe that life is about glorying in the little moments of happiness, accepting help when others truly want to give it, and focusing on enjoying each day as much as possible. Helped along, of course, by laughter and chocolate.

P.S. In three weeks, your land will become my land (for a few months, anyway). Squeee!

HEAB July 10, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Hannah,
so, will you be anywhere near Nashville?!?

Sara Lake July 10, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I totally missed all the blog action! BUT now I’ve learned to use Google Reader and am subscribed to everyone. I’ll never miss a post again ;) Congratulations, they are super cute and I bet you are busting with happiness. I have the ingreds. and I’m making that fudge today. Two ingredients is definitely my style.

Jane July 10, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I think those are all good things :) Congrats!

Felicia July 10, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Its so nice to see you pop up in my reader :) the babies are beautiful and I’m so happy they’re home and healthy. Its so nice to read that you have such a different approach this time around. Keep taking care of yourself any enjoying the moments with the little ones! Always look forward to your posts, no matter when they’re written, we’ll always be around :)

ClaireRoseC July 10, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Welcome back!! I remember watching Veggie Tales with my 2 oldest nieces. Great stories. ahh the days of Madame Blueberry.hehe…

Chris Hill July 10, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Hi Heather,

Yes, Sometimes it is best to let things go! =)

Take it easy friend!

Chris =)

lindsay July 10, 2012 at 7:50 pm

it sounds like you are growing as a mom as well. It’s beautiful and the time you spend with your children, with less pressure on yourself, is creating even more love. If that’s even possible. I love that you updated. thanks HEAB!

Jessica R. July 10, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Yay Heather! I am so happy for you that the arrival of the twins has been so joyful. It really brings me joy to be around you!

Jennifer July 10, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Hi Heather!
Congratulations on those precious babies! Glad to hear you will be blogging when it feels right. OOh I really want to make that fudge! Yum!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 10, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Letting go is the key to finding happiness! I swear, it’s really so true! We’ve talked, so I completely understand. I love that you’re enjoying your new family! That’s what it’s all about!

Amanda Y. July 10, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Glad to hear you’re doing better now and happy to hear from you!

Cherie July 10, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Hi Heather! It’s great to hear from you and that you’re doing well. I find it so interesting and comforting to see how so many of us go on a very similar path when it comes to motherhood. I’m happy to hear you have embraced the “letting go” a lot sooner than I ever did. This time together is so precious and I’m glad you’re enjoying it! And I can’t wait to try the recipes. Take care and have fun!

Debra July 10, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Heather, I was worried when I read this title. I continue to love reading your blog whether it’s daily or as a surprise when it pops up. Congratulations on learning to let go and love what’s important in live.

Kerri O July 10, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Good for you! I think the first is always the hardest, we try to be too perfect.

Rachel July 10, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I’m also so glad to see you will be back here and there. You have been an inspiration to me for years and you continue to be one now. I wish you and your family lots of peace and happiness in this wonderful time!!

Tonya July 10, 2012 at 8:39 pm

You caught me…I’m a stalker of your blog! : ) So happy to help you out and that you are doing so well. You look fabulous! What a treasure to be able to hold precious Charlie. Your such an inspiration on so many levels. Can’t wait for our coffee date for more HEAB time : )

Ellen C. July 10, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Hello, friend Heab! I’m glad as always when you pop in for updates. What a pleasant surprise! As a mother, and one with my share of creative endeavors, I know exactly what you mean by trying to hard. There are just some beautiful things in life that work better when we stop trying. Like love, babies, sleep, and creativity. You know, the most beautiful things life offers are gifts from God; they come without any effort on our part. XXOO

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance July 10, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Hi Heather! It’s me–who bugged you about xanthan gum and oat bran a couple of years ago . . . and then we figured out that I student taught at the high school your husband attended . . . and we both adore Colorado. So good to hear from you! I’m happy that you are becoming more comfortable with everything going on in your busy world, and seem to be embracing living in the present. Good for you!!!

Also, I wanted let you know that after all these years of reading blogs, I’ve decided to start my own . . . and also, I’m pursuing a certification as a health coach. I’m so excited. If you have some time, I’d love for you to “stop by”. :)

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple July 10, 2012 at 9:08 pm

This is such a good lesson to learn. We can be so hard on ourselves. I understand the (internal) pressure to want breastfeeding to work out. I’ve seen people be so devastated when it doesn’t, and others to take it in stride.

My own little one was born on Saturday, and I am having the same breastfeeding struggles I had last time. I want things to work out “perfectly”, and they aren’t. We’ve found ourselves co-sleeping a few hours every night – I *SO* want my son in his own bassinet, but I’m trying to just go with the flow.

Enjoy these times. They go so fast as you well know.

HEAB July 10, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Marcia,
Ahhh, many congrats. I wanted things to work out “perfectly” this time around as well, and they didn’t. I pumped for the twins while they were in the NICU, and I’m grateful they got lots of colostrum. They were so small and BF was too much work for them. So, when they came home, I weaned myself off the pump so that I could spend more time with the kids. I was sad at first, but I know I made the right decision. I’m sorry it’s not going as you’d hoped, but we can only do our best. Sounds like you are doing all you can, and please know I’ll be thinking about you and your new baby boy. :)

Meagan July 10, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Hey Heather :) I’m glad to hear it!

Jenn (eating bender) July 10, 2012 at 9:10 pm

So wonderful to hear from you, Heather, and what a great post. It was beautiful to read and I have so enjoyed having the chance to see pictures of your incredible twins and of course, Miss Summer. I couldn’t be happier for you and your family. Love you!

Ana July 10, 2012 at 9:32 pm

It is not just letting go my friend, you are loving yourself more! We grow with each experience, you were awesome with Summer and now even more with this new phase of your life. It makes me really smile to hear that you are enjoying yourself and your beautiful family to the most! You are an amazing girl and mom Heather, I am more and more inspired by you with each one of your posts!
Hugs and lots of love to you and your beautiful kids!

maggie July 10, 2012 at 9:41 pm

you know what’s funny – i haven’t had oat bran in probably over a year! i will have to make some soon. glad to have you back even if it’s just occasionally :)

Cara July 10, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I’m so glad things are going so well and to hear that you’ve got lots of help. And visitors can be critical to your sanity! :) The house, the floors, the dog hair – eh, it can all wait. Important thing is that you’re feeling well and the babies are doing great. So glad the bf is easier this time. I found I really hit my groove around three months, and then it was a cinch going forward. (And I was thrilled to finally ditch the pump eventually.) Sending good vibes and look forward to your next post when the mood strikes you ;)

critty July 10, 2012 at 9:46 pm

This makes me so happy for you and me! I’ve missed your blog! I’m also glad to hear that you are letting things go and making family the priority. It’s such an important thing to learn/practice. I’ve had to do it a lot over the past few years.

XOXOXOXO
C

Laury July 10, 2012 at 9:50 pm

This is so wonderful to hear, Heather! I am so glad you are just soaking it all in and enjoying being a mommy! It does fly! I believe my Ella and your Summer are around the same age. The newborn stage was so difficult and that’s one of the reasons I am putting off number 2 for now. It is so refreshing to see your update and hear how much better this time around is for you! With twins let alone! Sending lots of blessings to you and your family!

Maria Pirone July 10, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I am so happy you are back!! I have been following your blog for the past few years and I have a 15 month old daughter now myself. I can totally see myself in you and I am so happy that I can read about you again. Thank you and congrats!!

Katie July 10, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Some things change and some don’t, but you are always going to be Heather, you will always have adorable kids, and you will always have a dedicated group of readers to listen to and respond to your musings, whatever they may be.

Take and enjoy your time with the cuties! All three, four, no SIX! Lucky you!

Ameena July 10, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Love the honesty Heather. I was in a terrible place after I had my daughter. Terrible. People tried to tell me that I had postpartum but really, I was just miserable because I felt like I had zero control of anything. And it seemed like nobody could relate!

Anyway, I really admire you for handling things so well with 3 kids! Truly amazing. You make it all seem effortless.

HEAB July 10, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Thanks Ameena, and trust me, I get the control thing. I really struggled with that after having Summer. It was not fun, but it also taught me to relax, and I’m more laid back these days…well a little anyway. ;)

Liz @ iheartvegetables July 10, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Heather, I’m SO glad to hear things are easier this time around!!! I’m sure you’re crazy busy, but I’m glad you’re still able to have this creative outlet :)

SO awesome hearing about how you’re doing!!!

Kathleen July 11, 2012 at 2:52 am

Enjoy your time with the kids! As a mum of twins, beautiful 7 year ols girls now I didn’t enjoy their baby time, because I was too stressed out… Living on a strict schedule… which is impossible with two babies…
I missed a lot of the happiness because of the worrying and stressing out, so I appreciate the time with them even more now, and yes they grow up so fast… they are off on their first summercamp until Friday and I miss them!

Hugs,
Kath

Natalie July 11, 2012 at 4:50 am

such a great post! you sound like you are in such a good place. So happy for you! xo

Kellie July 11, 2012 at 5:03 am

So glad to know you are enjoying your sweet kiddos! As a mom of a 15yr old and a 23 yr old (yikes!) I can vouch that they grow up way too fast. Mine were babies just yesterday! Snuggle and hold them as long as you can as much as you can…despite what some might tell you, they won’t spoil LOL
Enjoy every minute!

Tita July 11, 2012 at 5:49 am

Heather! Congratulations!
Somehow I missed the post about the twins and tears are rolling down the chicks right now from happiness… what amazing news!!!!
I just adore reading your blog and I am super super appreciative you are still posting…
And yes – learning to LET GO is amazing.

Sometimes I think we are the only beings that we try and try and keep trying…until we run out of options…and when we let go…things fall into the place…
Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS and soooo happy to read you!!!! :)

crunchylittlebites July 11, 2012 at 6:28 am

You’re the only blog for which I still have a subscriptions Heather. This is why.

SHHHHHHHHHHHH … don’t tell anyone ;)

It’s so nice to hear that you are doing well and that your priorities are with family.

much love to you – Jasper

Chandra July 11, 2012 at 8:10 am

So glad to see you back! Your babies are beautiful!! There is no right or wrong way with babies. You just do what feels right for you. Let things pile up, they will still be there. Snuggle your kiddos as much as you can, because soon enough they will be grown. Letting go is hard, but it is freeing!!

brandi July 11, 2012 at 8:29 am

i’m so happy to hear that things are going good with the new babies :) I remember your posts from right after Summer was born, and you guys sounds like you’re figuring out what YOU need and what the babies need which is the whole point, right?

can’t wait to see more pictures of the little cuties :)

Heather @ Fit Mama Real Food July 11, 2012 at 8:50 am

I’m so glad you’re just getting to enjoy your time with your sweet new little ones. As a first time mom, I know I definitely still struggle with letting things go… like cleaning! For some reason I think that since I’m home all the time I need to have a clean house. Not the case.

Keep enjoying those babies!

STUFT Mama July 11, 2012 at 9:13 am

I have totally been thinking about you Heather. You look and sound so great. Oh man… letting go. You have to for at least the first 6 months. After that it gets a little bit more manageable. :) I wish I was closer, I would totally come over with treats. :) Enjoy every single minute with those amazing babies of yours. Hugs!

Katie A July 11, 2012 at 9:25 am

I have 8 month old twin boys and I understand what you mean, I was so stressed in the beginning that I was missing everything! I have really tried to relax about certain stuff! Good luck and they are so cute!!

Heather July 11, 2012 at 9:47 am

I’m so happy to hear you’re having a more enjoyable time now. Everything you wrote rang so true with me. I too put so much pressure on myself with my daughter – I had to do everything “right”, by golly. And I also didn’t really see that until I was pregnant with my son. Here’s to all of us just letting the Spirit guide us in being intuitive to the needs of our children and enjoying every moment of the miraculous blessings that they are! (And that casserole looks delicious!)

the delicate place July 11, 2012 at 9:58 am

isn’t funny how you have twice the ‘work’ but are enjoying it all the more? i am so happy that you have found your peace and balance in your life and current role! nothing is more satisfying i’m sure :) take your time and stop back in when you can! i love your blog, you’ve always got a reader in me :)

p.s. thank you for reminding me about 2 ingredient fudge! on the grocery list this week…somehow i have neither cocoa or coconut oil in TDP household right now?!

HEAB July 11, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Melissa,
I’ve missed you! Thanks for always sticking by me…now get thyself to the store for fudge ingredients. :)

Kelly July 11, 2012 at 10:16 am

GOOD. FOR. YOU. Sometimes I think we put entirely too much pressure on oursleves that we end up missing the point. I am glad you’ve found the point. :)

jenny July 11, 2012 at 10:22 am

I am so glad you posted this. Even more thrilled that you are experiencing it.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning July 11, 2012 at 10:30 am

Hey! So glad to hear from you!!
And since I can’t comment on the last post- CONGRATS! They are so beautiful (and Charlie is one of my favorite names in the world- what I’d love to name my future son, if that happens, after his grandpa!)
And the fudge/oat bran combo looks pretty darn delicious. :)

Tracy July 11, 2012 at 11:04 am

Yay! Heather. I am so so glad to have you back on the blog! I’ve truly missed your posts and look forward to the future.

After I had my twins (with a 3 year old and 19 month old), I finally learned that it’s ok to say NO to outside pressures and YES to help. I was the same as you and had a difficult time accepting help prior to their birth. We could NOT have survived without all the help we received.

You are so so wise to enjoy this time with your little ones. My kids are now 16, 14, 13 and 13. I get teary when I think that college and beyond is so close. Enjoy <3

Tracy July 11, 2012 at 11:10 am

Also, the first 6 months with twins is a bit of a blur but once you hit a certain point it truly gets easier. Somewhere between 8 months and a year it was a blessing to have 2 babies. I thought it was easier than my singletons. They always had a playmate, always had a friend at nap and bedtime. It was so fun to watch their special bond grow and all this is still true at age 13.

HEAB July 11, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Tracy,
I must admit there are some days that I kind of wish Summer had a twin. Hehe…she wears me out and could use a playmate her age. :)

cynthiasolc July 11, 2012 at 11:22 am

Good for you and for your family! Again congratulations and I hope you continue to keep taking it easy on yourself.

Sarah July 11, 2012 at 11:25 am

I think letting things go is a beautiful approach—not just to parenting, but also to life in general. You are a good mom…and this time you are able to enjoy it more. If we ever have another one, that is the major thing I would do differently. Letting go of so much!

Hope you guys have a great day!

Katie July 11, 2012 at 11:47 am

I love that you’re embracing the messiness of it all. Love your attitude and your approach this time around! Blessings to you all. <3

deirdre July 11, 2012 at 11:57 am

Congratulations on Letting Go!!! It is such a liberating feeling and so good for you.

The Dainty Pig July 11, 2012 at 12:10 pm

you’re such a gem :)
so happy for you and your lovely family!!!
have the sweetest summer ever, Heather, you deserve it!
And SO nice to read a HEAB post :)
xoxo jess

Liz July 11, 2012 at 12:28 pm

It’s so nice to have you back on the blogosphere from time to time. I’ve really missed your posts — I think you have such a unique perspective and a lot of kindness and compassion comes across through your writing. I’m glad you’re giving you’re giving yourself a break too! I think your advice in this latest post is useful for a lot of things — I know whenever I try to lose weight I tend to focus on that and to cut myself off from othe people, etc. to focus on healthy eating and exercise, but that often doesn’t really serve me very well. Thanks again for posting — I know your time is very limited so I will look forward to these when you have the time (which may be rare!).

Sarah July 11, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Oh Heather–thank you for being so open and honest. This is why I love reading your blog. I’m so glad that things are going so well for you and your family! Can’t wait to hear more about how everyone is doing :)

charlotte July 11, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I love reading these updates and am SO HAPPY that you are going easier on yourself this time around. Amazing what a little hindsight can do:)

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free July 11, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Heather,

Good luck with everything! Your family, your kids, your dogs, your life….have fun. Enjoy. You are a great mother already because you care so much, and your children will grow up to be amazing people.

So does the 2-ingredient fudge mean you are back on the bitter chocolate wagon? :P

Brittany July 11, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Heather! Katie and Charlie are gorgeous and I absolutely loved this post simply because I have been there myself in a different realm. I have a step-son that lives with us full-time, a 9-year-old with severe anxiety and ADHD and 18-month old toddler and my husband just returned from a military deployment. I love a clean, organized house and being mom, step-mom, housekeeper, cook, homework aid, dog poop scooper, weeder, errand-runner, basketball mom, and everything else in between, I had to learn to be okay with letting alot of things go. I also am working hard on focusing on the positives and what I DO have instead of all the struggles and hardships. It’s good to give myself some props for what I do and admit that it is dang tough, but time goes too fast to let it become all-consuming. Congratulations and so glad we’ll still be hearing from you! Lots of love, Brittany

Anita July 11, 2012 at 5:50 pm

good for you Heather. It’s all a process anyway. Be well. xoanita

Syndie July 11, 2012 at 7:06 pm

You are doing a fantastic job. So glad you are taking time for you family and for yourself! Enjoy it all :)

Lara July 11, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I’m so happy to read all this :) That’s my MO with my blog, too….when I can, when I want to, when I have something to say. It’s all about me anyway, right? ;)

Letting go. Oh man, Heabie, I’ve had to deal with that so much in the last 24 hours. The baby is breach. That natural childbirth I’ve been planning for months? Not likely to happen now unless we can get our little guy to turn soon. I’m going to try everything, but it’s been a huge lesson in control and letting go.

dorry July 11, 2012 at 7:57 pm

love your honesty! I know so many of us benefit from hearing about others who learn to let go! it’s life-changing. I’m sure your house is full of so much love, and I’m really happy for you!

Alisa July 11, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I couldn’t be happier for you – sitting here smiling from ear to ear :)

Jana July 12, 2012 at 6:54 am

Been reading your blog since you were pregnant with Summer but have never commented! So glad you’ll be back for updates every now and again! I am going through exactly the same thing at the moment and couldn’t agree more! Granted, I haven’t got twins but I am writing this whilst cuddling my 3 week old 2nd daughter. With my first I put so much pressure on myself with breastfeeding and refused to give her any formula. I had huge trouble getting her to latch on properly but was adamant it would work for me eventually. It got so bad that after 3 weeks she still hadn’t regained her birth weight and caught an infection. This time round I started pumping and bottle feeding from day 3 and I have a plump and healthy little cherub!! Letting go is important- I haven’t had much time to get hooked up to the breast pump lately and my supply is dwindling now but guess what- it’s ok! I know my babe will be fed and thrive on formula just as well…and get loads of cuddles from me! Enjoy your beautiful babes. Congrats!!

Christa @ Edible Balance July 12, 2012 at 7:24 am

welcome back Heather :) I’m a long time reader, and so happy to see your posts again! your honesty and grace are inspiring, letting go is one of the most hardest lessons to learn in any situation. Your babies are very blessed to have you as their mom <3

Holly July 12, 2012 at 7:56 am

So glad you are having a better experience this time around. I had the same experience with my first and the second was a lot easier because I was able to stay home with him and didn’t have to go back to a full-time job. I’m looking forward to more posts about the twins…and more recipes, of course.

Cat July 12, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I’m so glad to see you posted & that you & the family are doing well!

Rachel C July 12, 2012 at 12:09 pm

By the title, I thought you were giving up the blog entirely. I am pleased that you will still pop in when you have something to share. I am also pleased to hear that you are “letting go” of somethings that were not good for you and your family. Wishing you all the very best. :)

Alyssa July 12, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Congratulations on your gorgeous babies! And good for you for taking the time to enjoy! Sometimes it feels like i all goes by in a blur, and you’re doing exactly what you need to!

Caitlin @livelovenyc July 12, 2012 at 4:44 pm

So glad that you’re doing well! I’ve missed your posts :)

Laura I. July 12, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Glad to see a post from you:-) All posts are welcome; even if infrequent, they are always worth the read.

Congratulations on the two beautiful little babies! They must have been in a hurry to meet you and the rest of the family;-)

Riss July 12, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I could not be MORE THRILLED that you are going to be popping back in more regularly! I sure have missed you. So glad to hear the second time around is going a little more smoothly for you. You’re a FANTASTIC mother, Heather. Happy you are allowing yourself a little slack.

Monica July 12, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Good for you Heather, that is fantastic and great reminders for ALL moms. I look back at pictures of newborn Wrigley and wished I would have just taken a deep breath. I wish I would have understood then that enjoying a newborn and showering them with endless love is all that matters. I thought perfection as a wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend was what mattered.

I hope to follow your course and let go to enjoy the next time around.

Enjoy! You are such a wonderful mom!

Stephanie July 12, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Oh, this just makes me HAPPY! I’m so (selfishly!) pleased to see you back—super-interested in how raising twins goes, super-interested in your approach to life… I really missed your blog when you left, and I think it’s more than just a nosy, voyeuristic need to see how others live, it’s that I really really how *you* see the world. Welcome back, HEAB—and the many HEABlets, too! :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} July 13, 2012 at 6:36 am

It’s so nice to hear from you! I’m glad to hear that things are going well for you. The transition from 1 to 2 kids was very difficult for me. It sounds like you are handling the 1 to 3 transition like a rock star! :-)

Andrea July 13, 2012 at 7:52 am

So happy to hear from you Heather. What a fabulous perspective to have. I agree about letting go and enjoying every minute of your kids. It goes way too fast and how nice to decide to slow down and soak it all in!

Claudine July 13, 2012 at 9:30 am

Heather, I really loved this deeply thoughtful and honest post, and I thank you so much for sharing — especially with two newborns and one busy toddler on your hands. Reading this post also made me realize how much I miss you, but I am glad that you are taking time off from blogging to do what you need to do! It’s good to let go of that too. xoxo

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily July 13, 2012 at 10:19 am

I was the same with my first and drove myself and everyone crazy, with the second I relaxed a bit more, but by the time the 3rd one was born, I tossed any and all baby books, stopped looking at forums online of what I “should” be doing and just let go and lived.

Susan July 13, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Thanks for this lovely post. I’ve always had a hard time letting things go, and as we prepare for the arrival of our twins (probably in the next week or 2!), I really need to remind myself of this more often!

Congrats again, and hope everything continues to go well!

Purelytwins July 13, 2012 at 4:39 pm

yay for Veggie Tales :) our niece loves that!
and we are so happy to hear that the second time around is going much better for you, as you deserve all the happiness in the world! so glad you have more help too, as our Mom had a ton of help when we were born as she had to still take care of our 2 older sisters! Moms are amazing!!
congrats again with the twins, we are so happy and thrilled for you and your new family!!! can’t wait till we can come and visit!!!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli July 14, 2012 at 12:32 am

This post made me smile so much! I’m so glad to hear that things are going better this time around…sometimes we just need to get out of our heads, ya know? And I remember feeling the stress come through in your posts when you had trouble breast feeding. Honestly though, I probably would have done the same thing, but that is the beauty of having more children…you live and you learn…and you love and snuggle those little sweethearts for as long as you can!

I love you so much my dear friend and someday soon, I’m taking you to lunch…or froyo! ;)

Karen July 15, 2012 at 6:44 am

You look fantastic. The babies are beautiful. So glad that you will be stopping in. I love your blog. My “babies” are now 20,15, 8 and 5 so I feel like an older “Auntie” in relation to some of you young bloggers who I enjoy reading but I love food, reading, fitness and anything that smacks of authenticity. I am excited that you will be stopping in from time to time. Live your life and enjoy it and I will keep stopping in and cooking your recipes.