Life With Twins…

by HEAB on July 25, 2012

involves A LOT of caffeine…

Playing barista.  Not pictured: half-n-half.  I like my coffee white.

Getting out and about…

Clockwise from top left:

A trip to Trader Joe’s with all three kids.

Out on a walk with the girls. Summer in the stroller and Katie in the K’tan.

The twins’ first trip to Fido for coffee with our friend, Tonya.

Eating some good stuff…

Clockwise from top:

Loving tahini once again (never want it when I’m pregnant).  In the bowl: quinoa, cinnamon, brewer’s yeast and tahini.  A delicious lunch.

No-bake goat cheese cheesecake bites.  A friend made these for us based on this recipe minus the coconut.  Oh my…amazing.

Last night, two of my best friends came over to see all the kiddos, and we dined on black bean enchiladas, roasted veggies, chips and guac.  I made our favorite enchiladas with black beans instead of beef.  A quick and easy Mexican feast.

Time to begin the day.  Coffee…need more coffee. :)

Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life July 25, 2012 at 8:09 am

Om my gosh, congrats on your twins!!! I’ve always wanted to have twins! :)
It looks like you are doing a great job with them! You make going to TJ’s look easy! I still struggle juggling one baby in a stroller in that store! I’m glad to see you’re doing good!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 25, 2012 at 8:24 am

“With the girls” gave me chills! I am just so happy for your family! I don’t know how you do it…that is a lot of work with the twins and Summer! Caffeine really is the only way to go. May there be tons of it in your life! I’m glad you are getting into the swing of things. I know this is a HUGE change for all of you! I love seeing your smiling face! Hugs!

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Thanks Sarena. The caffeine helps, but we also have family and friends lending a hand, plus two amazing part-time nannies. Without them I’d be going crazy. Ha, I don’t think I could possible drink enough coffee if I had to do it all myself! Love you. :)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate July 25, 2012 at 8:28 am

You look awesome!! You are seriously my hero– I just had my first baby in April, and I feel so overwhelmed by it all sometimes– I can’t imagine having Lila…PLUS twins on top of that!!!

I was wondering– and if this is too personal a question, feel free to ignore me :-) – how is breastfeeding going? I read your posts on breastfeeding a LOT in my first month with Lila, because I really struggled with it and it helped me immensely to read about a blogger who had gone through the same thing. I didn’t make it nearly as long as you did– I threw in the towel after about 2.5 weeks when I still wasn’t making more than an ounce in a pumping session. Anyway, I’ve heard stories about moms who really struggle with it the first time around, and then are able to do it with subsequent babies. I was just wondering if you were having better luck this time– again, feel free to tell me to mind my own beeswax if you don’t feel like discussing your boobs on the interwebs. :-)

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Oh wow, thanks so much Anna and congrats on the birth of Lila. What a beautiful name! You know, so many people say that the transition from one to two kids is the most difficult, but for me it was definitely the transition from zero to one that proved to be the most challenging. Being a new mom is hard, and at least for me, it’s been much easier the second time around. :)

Now, onto my boobs. Hehe, I talked about them so much in all of my breastfeeding posts, why not talk about them some more? No, but seriously, I don’t mind answering your questions at all. I’m sorry that you struggled with making enough milk, and please know you are not alone. Charlie and Katie were too small to consistently breastfeed while in the NICU. They were just too small, and it wore them out. The doctors and nurses did encourage me to try once a day at first and then twice a day after they gained a bit of weight. However, it was more about just getting them used to being at the breast and for the skin to skin contact. I pumped every two to three hours, and I did make more milk this time around. That being said, I was still going to have to nurse, supplement and then pump after every session, and I couldn’t keep up. Plus, I knew it wouldn’t be fair to Summer as I’d be spending 24/7 feeding the twins. So when they came home from the hospital, I weaned myself off the pump, and we’re doing all formula. I was sad at first, but it is such a weight lifted off my shoulders. If we’d had a singleton, I’m curious to know if everything would have worked as it should, but we ended up with two instead of one. :) If you do have another baby, I would encourage you to try again, but if breastfeeding doesn’t work out, don’t be hard on yourself. Letting it all go has been such a relief, and happy mama = happy everybody. :)

Tabitha July 25, 2012 at 8:36 am

Wow, I remember the days when it was just you and the dogs – your life really got bigger! Oh the vanilla stevia, I tracked it down because of you – on Ebay – nothing prepared me for its potent sweet magic, thank you so much.

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Tabitha,
You’re welcome very much. :)

the delicate place July 25, 2012 at 8:45 am

trader joes with all 3 kidlets?! you deserve a medal! i can barely make it through alive on a saturday in this city with nate haha. it is WALL TO WALL chaos! everyone loves TJS! i am so happy you found tahini again! i don’t know what i like better tahini or coconut butter? both jars are literally gone in 7 days with me. cannot keep my spoon out of it haha!

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Melissa,
Yeah, that’s a tough one. I think if I’m more of a dessert mood, I go for the coconut butter, but either make me very happy. :) Honestly, you could not pay me to go to our TJ’s on a Saturday. Going with three kids in the middle of the week is much easier!

Jessie July 25, 2012 at 9:09 am

That photo of you in TJs with all three is insane. Did you get stopped by well-meaning old ladies every 5 seconds? I get stopped all the time and I only have one kiddo!

Good job mama, you’re kicking butt at motherhood!

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Jessie,
Oh my gosh, yes! We were like the main attraction. People were very sweet though. Everyone seems to go crazy over twins.

Angela July 25, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Bless your heart! I am dreading the attention I’m going to get with just twins, I can’t imagine having a toddler too. I’m sure you handle it with grace-I am already annoyed with all the twin questions and mine aren’t even here yet….”are they identical or fraternal? Or my personal favorite-are they PATERNAL? Do twins run in your family? And on and on and on. I know people are curious about twins but come on!!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance July 25, 2012 at 9:20 am

Oh. My. Goodness. Wow–you are a superstar! Always makes me smile to see that you’ve posted. :)

Sarah July 25, 2012 at 9:59 am

What a lovely surprise to see a new post from you! Your babies are beautiful and you are a super hero. I almost lost my mind with one newborn – you make twins and a toddler look effortless and gorgeous. Enjoy that coffee :)

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Sarah,
I just mentioned to another commenter that the transition from zero children to one child was much harder than the transition from one to three, at least for me anyway. I was completely clueless when we had Summer, but with the twins, I kind of knew what to expect. Plus, we have a lot more help this time around, thank goodness! I was stubborn and didn’t want to accept any help when we had Summer. Lesson learned. ;)

Katie July 25, 2012 at 10:23 am

Always more coffee.

Love to see that you are already getting out and about! Way to go. And that dinner sounds like something I would eat every day for about a month.

I have one last jar of Joyva in my cabinet and an open, half- full jar of East Wind tahini in my fridge. I can’t bring myself to eat the East wind though, because it just isn’t as good. Nothing compares to the joyva!

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Katie,
My fellow lover of Joyva – I totally get it. I had one can left from a bulk order we placed on Amazon before I got pregnant. So happy it was still good! Must order more soon. :)

Cara (Twinthusiast) July 25, 2012 at 10:48 am

Go girl! You are doing awesome! I swear I went through more jars of Trader Joes instant coffee than I care to remember in the early months…

Lara July 25, 2012 at 10:59 am

“Life With Twins…AND a Toddler!” is more accurate ;) I don’t know how you do it but you do it beautifully :)

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Lara,
We have nannies. Otherwise, I would have lost my mind weeks ago. :)
P.S. So so SOOOO happy he flipped!

Lara July 25, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Thanks Heabs….me too! Now we just have to get him to stay put!
Oh and you’re still Supermom ;)

Deadra July 25, 2012 at 11:27 am

are you back to posting? YAY YAY YAY!

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Deadra,
Every once in a while. I need HEAB – it’s my creative outlet! :)

Christa @ Edible Balance July 25, 2012 at 11:38 am

And you deserve every single drop!! So amazing, so great to wake up to a post from you with pics of you and the wee ones :)

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Thanks Christa. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks July 25, 2012 at 11:39 am

Glad to see a post from you and I always get a kick out of pregnant women saying, oh, they don’t know if they’ll drink coffee after the baby is born, on account of ‘keeping them awake’ or nursing or whatever; fast forward to baby being born, and coffee never tasted so good :)

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Averie,
AMEN.

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama July 25, 2012 at 11:51 am

Wait… what??!! I feel like I have been gone for years! Maybe i have… i think i have some catching up to do!
XxOo

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Tasha,
Yep, three kids in 19 months. Can’t quite believe it myself. Welcome back. :)

Sara July 25, 2012 at 11:55 am

Congratulations, Heather! I’m a twin, yet I can’t imagine having twins…and a toddler! Enjoy your beautiful children!

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Sara,
Really? That’s so exciting. I hear only good things about twins from twins themselves. Makes me happy to hear it. :)

Liz @ IHeartVegetables July 25, 2012 at 12:19 pm

You look amazing, Heather! It sounds like things are going well :)

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Thanks Liz. They are. :)

Amanda July 25, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I like my coffee white too. No shame!

You look great and it sounds like life with the twins is going well. 3 kids at Trader Joes? I am seriously impressed!

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Amanda,
Yes! I basically drink dessert in a mug every morning. It makes me happy. :)

lauren July 25, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Glad to see things are going well! Life looks perfect :) Enjoy it!

Tracy July 25, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Great to see you’re out and about, Heather. Looks like things are going very well! Enjoy your family.

Paige July 25, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Ah! I randomly checked in today to see if you had posted any updates and to my surprise you had – and you had the babies! Congratulations!

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Thanks Paige. :)

Courtney July 25, 2012 at 1:45 pm

So glad to see everyone looking well and happy!

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Thanks Courtney. :)

robyn jones clark July 25, 2012 at 2:21 pm

healthy, happy, babies (& toddler) and momma :) this makes me happy! you are superwoman. you nanny seems so sweet, very blessed. i hope we can find someone special when our time comes. that’s the pains of a new town.

will send you an update soon :)

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 9:42 pm

RJC,
Would love an update – been thinking about you! And as far as our nanny goes, we found her on care.com, and she is wonderful! She comes every morning and stays until Summer goes down for her nap. I can actually get stuff done around the house as well as spend time with the kids. I’m so grateful. We also have a night nanny that comes two nights a week – she was recommended to me by several other parents of twins. We LOVE her – it’s amazing what a few uninterrupted hours of sleep can do for ya. :)

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) July 25, 2012 at 2:57 pm

So great to “hear” from you! Looks like life is treating you well; so happy for you :) :)

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Thanks Alison. :)

Purely Twins July 25, 2012 at 3:37 pm

wahoo twins ;) and caffeine…and tahini, oh my all our favorites!! we would fit perfectly into your family
xoxo
love seeing all the cute little faces…and your beautiful face too!

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Purely Twins, yes you would. Come visit! :)

Sarah July 25, 2012 at 3:51 pm

You are a champ. A beautiful, amazing, spectacular champ. Well done.
And when you are at TJ’s again get some of the vanilla chai coffee. So good.

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Thanks Sarah, and roger that. Vanilla chai coffee is on the list. Sounds right up my alley!

Rebekah July 25, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Congrats on beautiful twins – and Summer looks like SUCH a little lady. Such a beautiful family. If Summer needs a playmate I have a little boy who loves the playground!

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Rebekah,
We love going to playgrounds. Dragon Park is our favorite. We should do a play date when the weather cools off a bit!

lindsay July 25, 2012 at 5:00 pm

You are one busy mama. But you look happy. One big happy family. one big healthy happy family. Thanks for always showing us how to live your priorities.
Cheers!
LC

Jennifer July 25, 2012 at 5:14 pm

You look great, Heather. :)

How is Summer adjusting to her new siblings?

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Thanks Jennifer. Summer is very interested in Charlie and Katie, and loves going to peek over the edge of the Pac-N-Play at them. She is my little helper, and is constantly trying to give them their pacifiers and says “uh-oh” when she hears them crying. It’s very sweet. :)

Katie A July 25, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I understand! My twins are 9 months old, and its crazy but we love it!! Congrats and you look amazing!

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Thanks Katie A. Twins are so fun. :)

Anita July 25, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I’m glad that things are going so well and that you have at home help. You look great !

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Thanks Anita. Hope you are well. :)

Em (Wine and Butter) July 25, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Oh sweet friend – your life must be crazy… in the best possible way.

SO you know how much I love and respect you as a person and how (if I was choosing a mama for my 29 years younger self) you would totally be in my TOP 3 Mama Choices. EVER. Well, that was when you just had Summer. Now seeing you take all this in stride, plus sort of creating my fantasy Full House style house (I was a bored only child) youve basically shot up to number one. The twins and Summer are lucky kids indeed and I can only hope Louis and I will create such a loving and wonderful family someday.

And that the predicted world coffee shortage (!!!) hasnt reached too catastrophic already…

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Oh my gosh Em – this is one of the best comments I’ve ever received. Thank you, and I have all the faith in the world that you and Louis will be wonderful parents to a full house yourselves someday. :)

P.S. Let’s not talk about any possible coffee shortage. No no NO!

Jasper July 25, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Time and time again, they’ve said it but I still want to: Heather, you look beautiful. And you are glowing.

an aside: last week I pick one pound of fresh basil and blended it with tahini…it made an incredible condiment for any and every savory dish. Just sayin’ :)

enjoy life! – Jasper

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Thanks so much Jasper, and I am loving that idea for tahini pesto! Pesthini….or tahesto maybe? ;)

Jasper July 26, 2012 at 7:03 am

pestohinihesto

Living, Learning, Eating July 25, 2012 at 8:43 pm

The quinoa lunch looks delicious! I’m a big fan of unexpected combos :) And congrats on the twins – my mom is one and I always thought it’s so cool!

HEAB July 25, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Thanks LLE, twins are pretty cool. :)

Kelly @ Leafy Not Beefy July 25, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Wow, what wonderfulness! :)

Critty July 25, 2012 at 10:18 pm

You are my hero, Lloyd!! You look like you are having a blast. Love you guys!!

XO
Critty

HEAB July 27, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Love you too Critty! :)

Health Bee July 26, 2012 at 1:47 am

Thanks for the wonderful update! So glad to hear you’re doing well. Big hug to Summer & the twins.

Marty July 26, 2012 at 2:55 am

My heart is beaming from chamber to chamber seeing you, Summer and the twins!!! How sweet that she’s adores them. I can’t wait to hear when she’s more able to understand that they are HER little sister and brother! Love to you all and Chris!

Hannah July 26, 2012 at 5:23 am

Coffee is the universe’s way of telling us love exists.

I’ve been twisting my brain to try and fit Nashville into this coming jaunt into America, but it keeps beings very far from other places and quite expensive to fly to. Booo! But hey, eventually my flight home will leave from America again ;) (And I might still make it work! If only I was hiring a car, but I think that would be lonely by myself.)

HEAB July 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Hannah,
I know – Nashville is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but if you happen to make it here, we’re waiting with open arms, and if not, you’ll be back. :)

Hannah July 28, 2012 at 1:04 am

I liked Nashville the last time I went, and now that I know it has you, three mini-Heather-babies, and frozen yoghurt? Very enticing :)

Ameena July 26, 2012 at 6:27 am

I couldn’t get out of the house with one…not sure how you handle 3 and make it seem so effortless! You deserve coffee and lots of it. :)

HEAB July 27, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Ameena,
And you inspire me with all your globe trekking. Hope to take these kiddos all over the world someday! :)

The Wholefood Mama July 26, 2012 at 6:49 am

Hi Heather, I just found your blog via Leonie Dawson’s site. Your blog is fabulous! Congratulations on the birth of your twins, that is just so special.
I think that your honesty and clarity about your journey with food, health and fitness will inspire many people on their journey. With so much poor quality processed food available so cheaply, and so many people being ‘time poor’ many people find it difficult to eat well. Your blog goes a long way to showing it can be done and it is worth doing. Well done and happy times to you and your family. Nikki x

HEAB July 27, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Hi Mama,
So cool you found me through Leonie. I love her! Thanks for reading my blog and for your kind words. :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} July 26, 2012 at 8:52 am

You make it look so easy. :-)

Meagan July 26, 2012 at 10:57 am

Hi Heather :) I’m so happy to see your blog pop up in my Blogger feed! What a trip to Trader Joes! But looks like you’re doing well :D

HEAB July 27, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Thanks Meagan. I am. :)

Jennie (the gf-gf) July 26, 2012 at 1:25 pm

You look so great, HEAB – being a mom to twins (well, to three!) suits you well :-)
I keep looking for the cinnamon sugar grinder at Trader Joe’s but mine doesn’t seem to carry them. I know I could just make my own … but where’s the fun in that?!

HEAB July 27, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Hi Jennie,
I’m not sure if my TJ’s carries the grinders either as my MIL sent them to me from Arizona. Hope you find it soon – you should ask your TJ’s to start carrying it!

alli July 26, 2012 at 3:32 pm

oh, i love you! so happy to see you posting again :) life looks wonderful! xo

HEAB July 27, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Thanks Alli. It is pretty wonderful these days. :)

Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) July 26, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Glad to see you’re doing well!!! Long time no see/chat….

HEAB July 27, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Liz!!!! I think about you often. Can’t find you on FB anymore. Did you cancel your account. :( Miss seeing your pics! Are you on Instagram?

Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) July 27, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I’m on Twitter – click on my name! :)

Sara Lake July 26, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Look at you, out and about! You even look like you have showered and brushed your hair! You amaze me. You don’t even look like you just had twins. You look fab, really, and just glowy with happiness.

Thanks for linking to the no-bake cheesecake. That looks right up my alley :D

HEAB July 27, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Thanks so much Sara, and I hope you enjoy the cheesecake. Delicious!

Jonna Green July 27, 2012 at 8:29 am

Hi Heather,
So glad to see your post! Looks like things are going great. Brings back memories for me of the double stroller and a toddler in tow! It’s great to get out and about. I found doing that made the kiddos so flexible and they still are to this day! Enjoy every minute, I know you are!

HEAB July 27, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Thanks Jonna, and I hope my kids continue to love getting out and about with me. I go stir-crazy at home!

Pam Rausin July 27, 2012 at 8:32 am

Just wanted to drop you a note to tell you that you look GREAT!!!

HEAB July 27, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Thanks Pam. :)

Marisa July 27, 2012 at 10:51 am

so glad to see you out and about! You look awesome!

HEAB July 27, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Thanks Marisa. :)

Erin July 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Heather, I’m so right there with you on the coffee! It has to be a certain color! Does this mean Coffee Mate is behind you? I can’t remember if you mentioned a change on here. I have been cooing over your photos on instagram. Thank you for indulging us in your sweet children :) Love!

HEAB July 27, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Erin,
I usually just buy half n half, but still love me some sugar free vanilla Coffee Mate on occasion.

P.S. Instagram obsessed over here. Love seeing your photos too. Mississippi looks beautiful, and Rob is hot as always. ;)

Lou July 28, 2012 at 4:06 am

Heather, kindred spirits are we…. I have the same “sugar” container as you (and the same stevia) although Viper took it upon himself to write “poo” on the little chalkboard bit ;) LOVE seeing you back here, missed you!

HEAB July 28, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Lou,
Haha – that’s why I keep the chalk hidden from CD. ;)

Maria July 28, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I saw pot about kombicha an butternut squash are different very helpful :)

How fo you cook kombicha squash? I have 2 small ones.

Thanks

HEAB July 28, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Hi Maria,
You can read how I cook my kabocha here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/roasted-kabocha-squash/, and I have several kabocha recipes on my recipe page: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/. Scroll down to the bottom. There is an entire kabocha section. Enjoy! :)

Marie-Sophie July 28, 2012 at 1:31 pm

You sound so so happy, Heather! :-) Great to read! Looking forward to reading about all the adventures that you’re going to take your kids on! :-)

HEAB July 28, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Thanks Marie-Sophie, we are very happy. Busy and tired, but happy. :)

Marie-Sophie July 29, 2012 at 8:34 am

Sending you some caffeinated chocolate hugs then! :-)

Kelly July 28, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I can not even imagine. You are SUPERmom!! For real. Your family is precious! How is Summer handling the new twins??

HEAB July 28, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Thanks Kelly. Summer is so cute with Charlie and Katie. She is very interested in them – no jealousy or anything. She always says “uh-oh” if they are crying and tries to give them their pacifiers. :)

Kelly July 28, 2012 at 4:29 pm