Favorite Dinners As Of Late

by HEAB on August 2, 2012

A friend set up a meal delivery schedule for us on MealBaby.com after the twins arrived, and we have been spoiled with delicious dinners three nights a week.  Thanks friends – you have introduced Chris and I to some new and delicious recipes.

On Sunday night, we were treated to buttermilk roast chicken and broccoli slaw.  Both recipes shall be repeated soon.  Seriously, I could not get enough of the slaw, and bonus: you don’t have to cook the broccoli.  Woo-hoo, no broccoli stank!   The battle in our house continues: Does the goodness of broccoli outweigh the fact that our house smells like pooh for a few hours after cooking it?  In my opinion? Yes.  CD disagrees.

Last week, we received a King Ranch Casserole on our doorstep.  I had never had it before and decided to make it myself last night.  Thanks again for the recipe Darcy!  For my version, I baked 1 1/2 lbs of chicken thighs and served the casserole with roasted eggplant.

Last but not least, we’ve been loving on lots of peaches.  When our friends brought dinner over on Sunday night, they stayed to dine with us, and I made a peach crisp for dessert.  We had so many peaches leftover, that I made the same crisp again on Monday night…

I used Chelsey’s recipe, subbing butter for the coconut oil and honey + brown sugar for the agave.  It was a hit, and I recommend serving it warm with vanilla bean ice-cream. :)

All kiddos are asleep, and there is a hot shower waiting with my name on it.  Enjoy your day!

j3nn August 2, 2012 at 8:04 am

All of those meals sound really tasty! How thoughtful of your friends. Three sleeping babies… that’s SO adorable! :) <3

Averie @ Averie Cooks August 2, 2012 at 8:11 am

That’s great that you got some meals from that service and some great ideas. Broccoli slaw – I am a fan! And that peach crisp, mmmm! After having a new baby (babies!), having meals ready and made is heaven-sent!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate August 2, 2012 at 8:39 am

Haha…Ryan always complains about that broccoli smell too…I never even notice it!!! But once, on Halloween, I made some sort of veggie-heavy meal (broccoli or cauliflower, I guess), and one of the little kids who came to our house said, “What’s that SMELL?!?” So I guess there is a stink. :-)

HEAB August 3, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Anna,
Haha – hilarious! Totally sounds like a scenario at our house.

Heather August 2, 2012 at 9:00 am

Girl! You are looking fabulous and are doing a fantastic job with your sweet tinies. The fact that you’re getting out and about is just wonderful!

HEAB August 3, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Thanks Heather. :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 2, 2012 at 9:06 am

The peach crisp sounds outstanding–I’m going to mark that one to try sometime! :) And I hear ya on broccoli slaw. I love it!

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks August 2, 2012 at 9:32 am

Mmm, the broccoli slaw sounds really good — it’s nice to have raw, crunchy veggies in summer! Thanks for sharing, Heather — that meal service sounds wonderful.

HEAB August 3, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Coco,
You’re welcome. A lot of my friends have used MealBaby to set up meal deliveries for new moms. It’s great!

coco August 2, 2012 at 9:54 am

they all look really tasty, specialy that roasted chicken thighs. Just got some last weekend, you just remind me to cook them! :)

Heather August 2, 2012 at 11:39 am

Have you ever tried roasting your broccoli in a 450º oven w/olive oil, salt and pepper and whatever other spices? It’s delicious and only takes 15 min. No poo smell! I love cauliflower this way too and so does my 2-year-old daughter. By the way, I LOVE your blog. I cannot eat much sugar either (have a mild allergy that causes acne), had gestational diabetes while pregnant, and have been pretty much swearing off eating much sugar ever again. I have never eaten a lot anyway but my body is way sensitive to it. Your recipes are an inspiration! I was already eating really healthy but your unsweetened chocolate ideas and coconut uses have opened up a whole new world for me. Thank you!!!

HEAB August 3, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Heather, I have, but CD still complains about the smell. Ha, that boy cringes as soon as he sees me taking the broccoli out of the fridge. I haven’t tried roasting it that way in a while, and so perhaps I’ll give it another go. As long as I don’t steam it, he doesn’t complain…to much. ;)

Thanks for your kind words regarding my blog, and I’m happy to hear you’re enjoying some new chocolate and coconut combos. That makes me smile. :)

Katie August 2, 2012 at 11:51 am

Broccoli is worth it. My mom and dad hate when I go home because I cook it at their house too. But they love to eat it when I do, so I say they have to deal.

I always bring a meal to new parents. I try to make them freezable in case they aren’t in the mood for the Thai Corn Chowder or whatever.

Ooooh – I had an omelet with my homemade jam yesterday. You were right!

HEAB August 3, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Katie, you are a good friend, and I so knew you would love the jam omelet. Glad you enjoyed. :)

the delicate place August 2, 2012 at 11:52 am

did you know that if you slice your eggplant and put salt on it for 30 mins in a colander that it will roast nicer without getting mushy? draws the water out! good food smells bad sometimes…buck up CD! enjoy that shower…perhaps the steam will break up the poo stank ;p

lindsay August 2, 2012 at 12:15 pm

your genius, i am trying that!

and HEAB i bet your king ranch casserole is much better than the one i had in the dorms 10 years ago.
;-)

HEAB August 3, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Lindsay,
Yeah, I’m pretty sure it was. ;)

HEAB August 3, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Melissa,
Yes, I do know that and wish I would have done it tonight. Ran out of time and just threw my eggplant in the oven. Good but a little on the mush side. :(

maggie August 2, 2012 at 12:18 pm

great gift idea. thoughtful + USEFUL.

cobbler is so good. must make some soon… maybe with blueberries!

Sylvia August 2, 2012 at 12:52 pm

What a great gift! Thanks to you though I don’t think I’m going to be able to get the words “buttermilk roast chicken” out of my head today.

HEAB August 3, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Sylvia,
Make it – that recipe was delicious! :)

Tracy August 2, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Ahhh…the little things. Nothing like a hot shower!

So nice of your friends to shower you with meals!

The stank of broccoli is so so worth it. To bad I’m the only one in my family of 6 that thinks so!!

Amanda August 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm

That is such a nice idea for a gift after bringing home the babies! Broccoli slaw is one of my favorites. Though, I don’t mind the smell of roast broccoli. Steamed is a whole different story though!

HEAB August 3, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Amanda,
Haha – yes, steamed is the WORST. I went through a steaming phase back before I was married and living with roommates. I’m surprised they didn’t kick me out of our apartment! ;)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 2, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I think of you often Heather! I hope things are starting to move into some sort of normalcy or a least manageable chaos. Your meals look perfect. Looks like everyone is fueled up well! Many hugs to you my friend! xoxo

HEAB August 3, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Thanks Sarena, I think about you too Hope all is well in Atlanta. :)

Anita August 2, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I agree about the broccoli. I got a bag of broccoli slaw and threw some tomato sauce on it. It was very good. Saw that on Hungry Girl. I fully understand when my friend gets chicken and broccoli from the Chinese place and tells them to pack up the broccoli separately. Boy does that stink. Glad you are doing so well Heather. You should be plenty proud of yourself. Do you remember that Dr. Oz or Jorge Cruise 3 ingredient muffin we were all making there for a while? The one with the flax seeds and blueberries. I’d bet that mix would make a nice healthy crumble topping also.

HEAB August 3, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Anita,
I will never forget the 3-ingredient muffin. Love that recipe! :)

purelymichelle August 2, 2012 at 7:55 pm

everything looks great!! must check out that broccoli slaw recipe

Ameena August 2, 2012 at 10:48 pm

The smell of broccoli is rather nauseating but love the taste. Not sure how that’s possible?

Thanks for the link…I love peaches and have a whole bunch sitting around. Perfect timing!

Have a great weekend Heather.

Cherie August 2, 2012 at 11:17 pm

It’s good to here you’re all doing well. Showers are such a treat!

Thanks for the MealBaby link. I can’t wait to forward it to a friend.

HEAB August 3, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Cherie,
You’re welcome. Love that site!

Sarah August 2, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I hope you enjoyed every second of that shower! And every bite of all those delicious meals.

Nicole August 3, 2012 at 10:42 am

Your peach cobbler looks and sound amazing. I still credit you for putting fresh peaches in my oats.
Glad to see you’re eating well!! xoxo

HEAB August 3, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Nicole,
Can’t beat a good oat/peach combo! Glad you’re enjoying it. :)

katie @KatieDid August 3, 2012 at 11:14 am

I cant get enough peaches lately either, and considering I’m down in Georgia traveling right now, I’ve been spoiled. That was incredibly kind for your friends to do that, I can only imagine how appreciative you feel!

Kelly August 4, 2012 at 8:34 am

The broccoli conversation made me laugh because Keith and I have that same conversation about brussels sprouts all the time. I totally think it is worth and he does not. Usually we compromise by me making a HUGE batch of roasted brussels and then that way I have them on hand for a while.

HEAB August 4, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Kelly, that’s a good idea. I should bake broccoli in bulk more often. :)

Ana August 5, 2012 at 8:00 am

Such nice friends you have Heather!
All meals look amazing, and that buttermilk chicken looks delicious, plus the recipe sounds great and easy to make. I want to try it as I am imagining it makes for a delicious chicken dish!
And the peach crisp… oh my, it is one of my very favorite things, I looove peach crisp!!

HEAB August 5, 2012 at 8:56 am

Ana, oh my goodness, make that chicken. It was some of the best I’ve ever eaten. So tender and flavorful!