What’s Up?

by HEAB on August 6, 2012

A few weeks ago, I posted on Facebook that the time had come.  Yes my friends, it is time to embrace the crockpot, and I asked my friends for their favorite recipes.  Several of them recommended this site, and after perusing, I decided to try the Honey Lentils.  Verdict: Delicious!

Not only have I embraced the crockpot, but I have also embraced taking all photos with my iPhone.  It’s just so darn easy, but I hope to get out my DSLR soon.  I miss it!

For the lentils, I used chopped carrots rather than shredded, cut the amount of salt in half, left out the soy sauce, and only used about 1/4 cup honey.  Got all that?  Anyway, it turned out great, and we ate it atop roasted eggplant.

In other news, I finally made it back to the yoga studio.  I’m taking a Mommy & Me yoga class with Charlie and Katie once a week throughout August.  I did the same class with Summer, and I’m grateful that it worked out for me to go with the twins.

The babes slept while I got in a great abs workout.  I’m going to be sore tomorrow!

Oh yeah, I also cut off seven inches of my hair, went super blond, and got bangs.  Then, thinking my new do made me look too old, I got my nose repierced.  Third life crisis much?  Perhaps, but oh well, it was time for a change. :)

Oh, and look who came to town yesterday…

My favorite photographer and her husband, Chris.

We spent all morning shooting the babies and their big sister and then celebrated with lunch at Chipotle.  Three hours of photos with a 21 month old and two 7 week old infants had me craving chips and guac in a major way. Emily, it was so good to have you guys back in town, and we can’t wait to see the photos!

So, that’s what’s up in my life.  Your turn.  Oh, and do you have a favorite crockpot recipe to share?  Nothing too stinky please.  I once tried making an Indian dish in our slow cooker, and our house smelled like curry for a week.

carrie @ gingerlemongirl.com August 6, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Oh Heather, I’m so glad you’ve embraced the crockpot!! I luuuvvvsss the crock pot! So much I wrote a book about it and it’s coming out this October!! Email me and I’ll send you a copy — no review needed, I just want to send you a copy because i love you so much!! :-) I’d love for you to try some of the recipes in it!! My favorite meal lately to make in it has been chopped turkey barbecue. You basically just cook turkey legs in the slow cooker until they are really well (falling off the bone) done and then remove all the meat from the bones, chop it up really fine (it will resemble chopped pork bbq) and then add the BBQ sauce of your choice. I love an eastern NC vinegar based BBQ sauce recipe! And you’re right about those honey lentils! they are yum!! I love stephanie’s recipes! She’s the one who turned me on to the slow cooker!!

JaimeFNP August 6, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I get so excited when you put up a new post! :)
LOVE the hair – I happen to be a fan of blonde, if you haven’t noticed ;)
So glad you are doing well and enjoying your beautiful family <3

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Thanks Blondie. ;)

Sarah August 6, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Yay! I am so excited to learn the names of the new twins– Katie and Charlie! (Maybe you posted this right when they were born and I just missed it, but man, I was so curious.) Glad to see that things are going well.

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Thanks Sarah. :)

Carbzilla August 6, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Your bangs are super cute. I don’t think you look older at all.

My hubs still thinks the crockpot *might* burn down the house so I only use it on Saturdays. {silly} We’re finally having summer here, but can’t wait to use it come fall.

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Thanks Carb, and that is pretty funny. Hope your house stays intact this fall. ;)

Jules August 6, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Your hair looks great! Love it.
My dad makes the greatest chili in the crockpot- just a plain ol’ chili recipe, but he uses bison meat and skips the beans. Mm :)

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Thanks Jules, and I love bison. Bet it tastes great in chili.

Lara August 6, 2012 at 5:58 pm

What a fun class! That’s so cool that you get to bring them both. I know you deny it, but you really are Supermom :)

I really do love your hair, Heabie. It’s so fresh and sassy.

I haven’t had the best of luck with my slow cooker. I’ll be checking out your comments to see if anything good turns up. My only suggestion is to check Pinterest :)

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Thanks Lara! Thinking about you everyday. Hope you’re feeling okay. You’re so close. :)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate August 6, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Do you know that I have a crockpot that was a wedding gift (over three years ago), and I have NEVER used it. I’m thinking now that a baby is in the picture and I’m going back to work in the fall, it might be time to dust it off!!

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Anna,
Yes, definitely time for some dusting. Slow cookers make dinner prep so much easier!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 6, 2012 at 6:32 pm

The lentil recipe sounds great! And crockpot season is coming up soon, so I’ll definitely try it out! Love your new haircut and color–looks great!

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Thanks Michelle. :)

katie @KatieDid August 6, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Heather, you’re awesome. The fact that you’re making yoga a part of your life still with 2 newborns (and another!) is incredible, and I love that you got your nose re-peirced. Maybe when I have three little ones running around one day I’ll feel inclined to have my eyebrow redone, never say never I guess!

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Katie,
Nope, never say never. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks August 6, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Pics with an iPhone is how I blogged about half my posts for about a year…so convenient! And glad to hear you’re loving the crockpot and are back in the yoga studio. And all those babies, and all those pictures, better you than me :) Love the blonde hair and nose ring – I don’t currently have one, but did in h.s. and college!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 6, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Love the haircut!!! It’s adorable!

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Thanks Liz. I’m liking it too. :)

Colleen Murphy Stewart August 6, 2012 at 7:34 pm

First of all you look fantastic! Love the new hair :) I joined a yoga studio 8 months ago. I do 5-6 classes a week. I’m now in better shape then when I was doing aerobics and weights! Who knew? :) I’m making meat loaf in my crock pot tomorrow. Grass fed beef and whatever I feel like throwing into it. It’s never the same twice :) Oh and as I’m typing I’m eating your chicken enchilada’s. It’s now a staple in our house! Can’t wait to see your pictures!

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Colleen,
Tell me about it. Nothing has done more for my body than yoga. NOTHING, and I so miss it. I’ll get back someday, and I really should start practicing on my own more often at home. It’s just not the same though. Missing my favorite teachers at the studio.

So happy to hear you’re loving the enchiladas. That is CD’s most requested recipe around here. :)

Heather August 6, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Long time reader, first time commenter just to tell you to put the crockpot in the garage so it won’t stink up your house while cooking. I learned this when pregnant and the smell of all food made me want to throw up! Now it’s the only way I use the crock pot :)

Jessie August 6, 2012 at 7:48 pm

No crockpot recipes, mine always come out funny. I love the hair (and so funny about your nose)! I pierced mine with a safety pin when I was 14 (idiot) but kept it in for almost 5 years. I miss it sometimes…

I miss yoga! I used to go to an early a.m. class but my hubs’ schedule changed & now I don’t have anyone to watch Lyric. Someday…

Glad to see you are rocking at motherhood. Lara is right, you are Supermom!

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Jessie,
A safety pin – ouch. You are brave!

I totally understand about missing the yoga studio. I used to go all the time as my massage therapist work schedule allowed me a ton of flexibility, and most of my favorite classes were mid-morning. My dream is a yoga studio that offers childcare. Someday… :)

purelymichelle August 6, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I thought something look different with you hair!! I am going tomorrow to get my hair cut!

sadly no crockpot recipes, never really used one besides stuffing

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple August 6, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I too will need to embrace the crockpot soon. My brain isn’t able to come up with any recipes. But here’s one from my blog.

The baby turns 1 month tomorrow, my hubby is out of town on a business trip. Luckily, my MIL is in town. But he leaves again next week and she’ll be gone and I’ll be solo with the boys.

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Marcia,
Yes, it it time for some crock-pot lovin’. Happy 1 month birthday to your little one, and good luck when you go solo. Also might be time for some DVD player lovin’. ;)

j3nn August 6, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I can’t wait to see the latest HEAB family pics! I hope you’ll share some.

Change is good! I love reinventing and improving myself. Keeps life interesting.

I was just looking at a crock pot bone stock recipe. Bone stock is so rich in nutrients, I am working up the courage to make it. It soubds easy enough, but then again, that’s the point of crock pots. :)

You look fantastic!

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Jenn, Thanks so much, and yes, bone stock is so good for you. My mom made some for us once, but the gelatin-like texture kind of frightened CD. I cooked some quinoa in it loved it. Added so much flavor!

Natalie August 6, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I’ll be coming back to check out the ideas! love the honey lentils idea. Hair looks super cute and glad things are going well. Love the yoga pic with the twins sleeping!

Sarah August 6, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I too am addicted to iPhone pics only. I have no newborn twins to excuse such behavior.

Have you tried our African Peanut Stew? I still love it, though it’s a little hot here for that now…

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Sarah,
I’m always surprised at how good some of my iPhone photos look, but then others will come out completely blurry. Oh well, it’s just so much easier. I have not tried your African Peanut Stew, but a friend that lives in Germany sent me the recipe in an email telling me I should make it. Must listen to my European friends more often. ;)

Katie August 6, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Love the hair and the nose ring. I’m in a bit of a mid-life crisis myself. Good timing right?

My favorite crockpot recipe is from my mom and I request it every holiday meal at home. Take a big turkey breast and thaw it. Cook on low in the slow cooker (you may need to add water if the breast is really dry) on low until it’s starting to fall apart. Take it out and shred it, then put it back in the slowcooker. Add in two packets of turkey gravy mix with however much water the packets call for, making sure the turkey is covered completely. Cook on low for another 2 hours.

I eat this on sandwiches, on salads, straight off a fork from the crock pot, you name it. It is so good!

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Katie,
Thanks for sharing – sounds easy enough. Love turkey leftovers, but ours are often kind of dry. Your version sounds…moist. ;)

Cherie August 6, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Love the pictures and nice to see you with Katie and Charlie. I think your hair looks great! I don’t think it makes you look too old….just fabulous!

I love my crockpot. Usually do grass-fed roast and root veggies with rutabaga instead of potatoes or whole chickens with veggies. So good!

Glad you’re back at yoga!

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Thanks Cherie, and I need to make that roast. I love rutabagas, but my family only ever ate them at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Why?!? Definitely worthy of year-round eatin’. ;)

Julie August 6, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Heather! You look great! I love the hair!
So we grilled peaches last night for about 10 min and put them over Greek fro yo and it was DE LISH! You gotta try it! I probably should take out the crock pot, but I am sticking to easy Trader Joes stuff and it is great!! Keep the updates coming!

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Thanks Julie…and forget the crock-pot. Bring on the grill. I need some of those peaches! :)

Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) August 7, 2012 at 5:45 am

Aww, so glad you got back in the yoga studio! Cute photos :D

Crockpot recipes… can’t beat brisket, chicken, or root vegetables.

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Liz,
Brisket!!! Dare I say it…Holy Yum. ;)

Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) August 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm

HAHAHA yes you may ;) I forgot about that phrase until now, haha.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 7, 2012 at 6:59 am

You most definitely do NOT look old! I blame your thoughts on lack of sleep! I love the hair! You are incredibly beautiful! I love that you repeirced your nose. I am so ready for another tattoo now! I’m waiting until we aren’t able to go to the lake anymore so it won’t be out in the sun or in the water too much when I first get it. It’s happening this fall though! I am with you on life changes though. Jay started high school yesterday and Max started middle school. I feel like time is passing too fast!

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Sarena,
Well, if I had your young looking genes, I wouldn’t worry so much. ;)

Thanks for your kind words and can’t wait to see the new tatt! What are you going to get and where? Can’t believe Jay is in high-school. Wha?!?

Kim August 7, 2012 at 7:11 am

Yeah for being back in the yoga studio!!! ( now if I could get back…) See now when we both get back to AZ we can all go to yoga!!! Love your new hair and color! You look beautiful as always. Being a mom myself and having 17′ cut off my hair ( so NOT by choice) I do totally understand the 3rd life crisis thing. However, your new “do” makes you look younger and even more beautiful!

Look at how adorable the twin look sleeping next to each other! Miss you!

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Kim,
Miss you too. Are you guys back in AZ for good? I rarely check FB anymore, and I’m behind on your life. Don’t like it.

Kim August 7, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Ha! No we are in Nevada still. Spending LOTS of time at Lake Tahoe. When you have 2 mins (ha) look at the pictures. It’s so beautiful in Tahoe, our new escape !

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free August 7, 2012 at 7:12 am

You look great, Heather! And I hope the twins and Summer are doing well, too (and CD!). I actually do have a favorite slow cooker recipe you might like, Slow Cooker Chicken with Olives and Artichoke: http://www.spoonfulofsugarfree.com/2011/11/16/slow-cooker-chicken-with-artichoke-and-olives/

Cherie August 7, 2012 at 7:29 am

Love the new “do”, Heather! Definitely doesnt make you look old! But glad the nose earring is back! I didn’t realize it was gone though! :-)

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Cherie,
Haha – yes, took it out 4 or 5 years ago. Come to think of it, you went with me when I got the first one – remember? It was after the Country Music Half. We had the most random crew with us and then celebrated with DQ Blizzards.

Felicia August 7, 2012 at 7:34 am

You are too funny with the nose piercing! Change is good :) Love the new haircut! I keep using my phone for pictures too, it just makes everything easier, even though I feel slightly guilty posting semi-decent photos haha. Have a good week!

ashley August 7, 2012 at 7:48 am

You are too funny : ) And yay for nose piercings!! I totally understand the haircut thing – I usually keep loooong hair, and just recently cut mine all off, like boy short. Never in a million years would I have imagined wanting to do that, but I had some breakage issues from pregnancies, and wanted to start over. Anyway, your’s look great!! And it does not make you look old. But that’s how I feel about mine, and since I already have my nose pierced, I’ve just been wearing my big earrings to help me feel young. Funny the things we think about, huh : )

That website looks great, and crockpot meals would be a really good way to go right now…we just had our third child, who’s now 8 weeks. My youngest two are the same ages as Summer and your twins, so I really enjoy reading about your experiences. So happy things are going well for you!!

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Ashley,
Congrats on #3 – we both have our hands full, huh? That is so awesome you cut your hair that short – I would love to get a pixie cut, but my hair is thick and wavy, and instead of looking all cute, I’m afraid I’d be a frizzy mess. Going short must have felt so freeing. Perhaps I’ll try it someday. I mean it’s just hair, right? It will always grow back, and if I totally hate it, I’ll just wear big earrings to distract everyone. ;)

Ozlem August 7, 2012 at 8:08 am

I am so glad you are back and you look amazing – so happy!! Here is my favorite crockpot recipe. I realize it is sort of Indian and vegan but I promise it does not stink the whole house and for the kids I just fry up some groundmeat on the side and they love it with some naan. Enjoy and take care.

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Thanks Ozlen. That sounds delicious – lentils and sweet potatoes are two of my favorites, and I’ve never met a Jenna recipe I didn’t like. :)

lindsay August 7, 2012 at 11:31 am

way to get back into yoga, your body will thank you. And the babies, well, then will get their ZEN on with the zzz’s
;-)

Tracy August 7, 2012 at 12:07 pm

The Honey Lentils sound delicious!

Your hair looks darling! I’ve been feeling rather “older” looking lately. Maybe I should pierce my nose?! Did it work for you??

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Tracy,
Yes! Do it. :)

Liz August 7, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I love your new haircut! Normally I’m no a huge fan of the crock pot (my Dad made some horrible creations when I was a kid which has made me biased) but this Vietnamese chicken is delicious! http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/06/crockpot-vietnamese-roasted-chicken.html

My friend who does not have my crockpot issues also loved the recipies on that blog.

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Thanks Liz – pinned the recipe. Sounds easy and tasty – my kind of meal prep these days!
P.S. Sorry your dad ruined the crockpot for you. Hope my kids don’t say the same about me someday. ;)

Meagan August 7, 2012 at 2:51 pm

How wonderful! You’re doing so well :) I love that photo of the twins :) For crock pot I would suggest doing oatmeal (overnight), sweet potatoes casserole (for breakfast, lunch or dinner), and beef bourginone (for a dinner meal) in the crock pot. I did the beef b that way once and it was fabulous!

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Meagan, someone else suggested beef bourguignon, and I can’t wait to try it. Then how about sweet potato casserole for dessert? :)

Meagan August 8, 2012 at 11:01 am

That sounds great! With vanilla ice cream on top of the sweet potato casserole? I’m coming over! I just need to book a flight from Seattle to Nashville… ;)

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) August 7, 2012 at 7:54 pm

ahahaha i love your hair chopping/nose piercing story :) i’m going through a ‘should i get a tattoo or drastically color my hair’ phase right now. good thing i’m so indecisive lately lol. i don’t even own a crock pot. what is wrong with me?!

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Melissa,
Color your hair. Tattoos – so permanent. I was about to get one last year but then got pregnant. Took that as a sign I’m not meant to have one. ;) Can’t believe you don’t have a crockpot – I was counting on you for some yummy lamb recipes in the slow cooker!

tracey August 7, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Again, so glad you’re back! Hope you will have some pictures soon! I go through phases with my crockpot…This is really not a “recipce” but I put chicken in the crockpot (you don’t even really need to add liquid) for several hours on low, then mix in some BBQ sauce when it’s finished. Easy chicken BBQ. I like to serve it with sweet potato fries (you can cheat and use frozen ones!)

HEAB August 7, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Tracey,
That sounds super easy and delicious! Thanks. :)

Alyssa August 8, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Look at those 2 cuties!!!!!!

Kelly August 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm

The crockpot is such a good thing! A life saver indeed! I love making chili in mine because it makes the house smell amazing! HA! Now you are making me crave chili in Texas, in thee summer, in 104 degree heat. Thanks Heather! ;)

HEAB August 9, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Kelly,
Leftover cold chili is pretty darn good…just so you know. ;)

Kelly August 9, 2012 at 6:27 pm

You sold me. Looks like chili will be making an appearance this weekend. :)

Bree August 9, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Hello Heather! I recently came across your blog and had to say congrats. I gave birth to b/g twins in April. I am in awe of the MoM’s with a toddler as well! I have done some abwork while mine sleep, too. It’s amazing what you can get done very quietly during nap time.

Deirdre @ Oh Well Whatever August 9, 2012 at 10:55 pm

So cool that you get out to yoga, good job. I love the hair and I have my nose pierced too! Haven’t had anything in it forever but everyonce and a while I will put a little stud in, it’s fun. Can’t wait to see new photos!

Beyond simple. Pork roast, can of BBQ sauce. Serve over brown rice.

HEAB August 10, 2012 at 7:24 am

Thanks Deirdre, that sounds easy enough. :)

Lisa Lisa August 10, 2012 at 11:56 am

Hi Heab, So glad you’re blogging again, missed you. I have a easy tasty pork tenderloin recipe that is at home of course, but will update tonight, involves cranberries. Anyway, did you change your site somehow. When I go to heathereatsalmondbutter.com directly, it shows your most recent post as “life with twins”, via facebook I see your address is networkedblogs.com/AHs92 from here I can see your new updates, but if I click on home on your page, it brings me back to “life with twins” as most recent post. Just wanted to let you know something seems odd.

HEAB August 10, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Lisa, Thanks for the recipe and for letting me know that something is not working properly with the blog. I updated my version of Wordpress, and I’m wondering if that’s the problem. Everything seems to be working from my end, but if you notice the problem continuing, would you mind letting me know? Thanks again!
-Heather

Joelle (on a pink typewriter) August 10, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Bahaha love that you repierced your nose!! Happy Friday Heather!

PS. What type of yoga are those ‘Mommy and Me’ classes?

HEAB August 10, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Happy Friday to you too Joelle! The Mommy & Me yoga classes I am taking are taught by a Naam yoga therapist. This is an explanation of Naam yoga from her website: Naam Yoga is a dynamic fusion of Eastern yogic wisdom and the Western practice of Divine Spiritual Wisdom, or Universal Kabbalah. It incorporates the practice of divine sound (Naam) with yogic movement, stretching postures, breathing, mudra and meditation. Through the practice of Naam Yoga, the self-healing mechanisms of the body are activated, restoring health, youth and balance.

I’m used to doing vinyasa flow type classes, and the Mommy & Me sessions are much different – we do a lot of abdominal work and maybe some down dogs, but no sun salutations. It’s different, but in a good way and a nice change.

Jess August 11, 2012 at 6:55 am

I just started reading your blog! I wanted to say you look and sound like you are doing amazingly well after having twins!! I have twin girls and I found it almost impossible to get out of the house for the first 6 months. Go you!!! :)

HEAB August 11, 2012 at 7:21 am

Jess,
So glad you found me and thanks for reading. I’m often late to wherever we’re going, but the important thing is is that I eventually do get there…well most of the time anyway. ;)
We love having twins – they’re just so sweet and already miss each other when separated. Warms my heart.