Worth Repeating

by HEAB on August 14, 2012

Vegetables used to compromise about 75% of my diet.  Then I got pregnant and could not look at anything green for months.  I used to freak out if I didn’t get in my daily quota of spinach, broccoli, etc., but now I’ll go days without eating anything from the garden…not that I have one.  I leave the gardening up to Katie and Rachel.  Anyway, I do enjoy a good salad or plate of stir-fry, but they no longer happen everyday.  So when I do prepare vegetables, it feels a little more special.

Last week, my friend Kari delivered this amazing meal for dinner…

Adzuki beans with kale, roasted veggies, and basil quinoa.  Not pictured: grilled peaches with mascarpone cheese (b/c they disappeared too fast!)

I was a little obsessed with the bean + kale dish and decided I had to recreate it myself.  However, the grocery store was out of kale.  So, I bought a bag of turnip greens and tried my hand at the recipe.  I soaked the beans overnight so they cooked up a bit faster and used low sodium soy sauce and only about half of what the recipe called for.  I love my salt, but I always use half when trying out a new recipe.  I’d rather have to add salt in the end than serve a too-salty dish.  I also used red beans instead of Adzuki beans.  Verdict…

CD: What did you cook in here?!? Our house stinks.

Me: Yummy vegetables and a stinky house.  Success!

Leftovers served with a mozzarella filled omelet.

CD, it’s time to invest in some nose clips as I will be making this again. :)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 14, 2012 at 7:22 am

Anything with mascarpone would disappear really quickly around me!

Maggie @ say yes to salad August 14, 2012 at 7:44 am

It certainly looks delicious! I love me some adzuki beans. The quinoa and the peaches sound great too.

I think it’s perfectly ok to eat less veggies… They are great but not when they take up so much of our diet that. We miss out on other fun things.

HEAB August 16, 2012 at 2:30 am

Maggie,
Agreed. Veggies are totally overrated…except when it comes to kabocha of course. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks August 14, 2012 at 8:17 am

I remember your stinky-house recipes and us chatting about the best way to NOT stink up the house when cooking broccoli like….3+ years ago. Wow, time flies. And stinky houses remain :)

This looks great and bravo to you for even cooking with 3 kids under 2 years! :)

Katie August 14, 2012 at 8:57 am

Turnip greens and I do not get along. Sadly, my garden this year is a complete mess. I’ve been having too much fun decorating my new house to give it the proper time and TLC that it needs. I’ve got cukes, chives, chard, radish, green beans, and yellow squash so far. And I have 2 cute butternuts and 4 huge hubbards hanging on for dear life.

Suddenly it sounds like I have a lot of food out there! Wanna come over for dinner? I’ll make a plate of veggies and a nice big steak!

HEAB August 16, 2012 at 2:29 am

Katie,
Yes, but how about veggies and a brat instead? I’ll bring the mustard. :)

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) August 14, 2012 at 9:02 am

we had grilled peaches with balsamic last night! they were a side car to our cedar plank grilled salmon we got from a whole seller. so good! CD sounds like he has a sensitive nose haha!

HEAB August 16, 2012 at 2:29 am

Melissa,
Very very VERY sensitive. Last night’s dinner sounds amazing – any leftovers? :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 14, 2012 at 9:07 am

I would totally bring you food if I was closer! I’m so glad you have great people around you to help out! Oh and I grilled peaches with olive oil and fresh rosemary last week…I was in heaven! They were so good!

Abby August 14, 2012 at 9:09 am

I had to chuckle, as I’m always lighting incense in my kitchen due to the fact that I’m always steaming broccoli, Brussels sprouts or other “fragrant” foods. And when it comes to garlic? It’s basically my perfume ;)

Christa @ Edible Balance August 14, 2012 at 11:15 am

Always good to relax about food in general… I used to freak out with not getting enough veggies in every meal, but there other amazing nutirent-dense foods out there to enjoy :) the dish looks delicious!

Kelly August 14, 2012 at 11:27 am

Oh CD and Keith are so much alike!! :)

Rachel August 14, 2012 at 11:55 am

Ohhhh my gosh. That looks so good! I’m thinking that would be the perfect detox meal after a long weekend of fudge, ice cream sundaes and burgers on vacation… And grilled peaches with mascarpone? Just stop it. I’m drooling!

Purelytwins August 14, 2012 at 12:33 pm

we enjoy many fragrant foods ;)
our family always knows when we have been in the kitchen by the way it smells haha

Hannah August 14, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Travelling as I am, I’ve had to let go of my need to eat enormous quantities of vegetables every day too. You know what? You’re right, the world doesn’t dissolve if the plate isn’t green every day :P

That said, I do really want to try this dish, except with kale, because I’ve heard so much about the wonders of kale and still haven’t had it!

lindsay August 14, 2012 at 2:21 pm

the stinkier the house the better the meal, right? like curry!

HEAB August 16, 2012 at 2:26 am

Lindsay,

katie @KatieDid August 14, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Yup I stunk up my house with roasted broccoli today. Turnip greens… brave of you! I try new greens but always coming back to my kale and spinach stand bys.

Marcia @frugal healthy simple August 14, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I love my veg but my hubby thinks I’m crazy for trying to Use up all the CSA veggies with a five week old infant.

I admit, he’s traveling, and the squash blossoms are going into the compost.

HEAB August 16, 2012 at 2:26 am

Marcia, that’s ok. I won’t tell anyone. ;)

Cherie August 14, 2012 at 10:22 pm

This is one of my favorites, but I usually use cannellini (white kidney beans)! I also love to add some onions, garlic and organic ground chicken to my turnip greens or kale. Oh, and thanks for reminding me to grill some peaches this weekend!

HEAB August 16, 2012 at 2:25 am

Cherie,
Love the idea of adding ground chicken. Bet that is delicious!

Lou August 15, 2012 at 3:14 am

I love me some stinky veggies and beans. I’m always cooking beans and Viper complains at the “farty” smells. Ha. He’ll be coming home to a house fragrant with brussel sprouts tonight ;)

Tracy August 15, 2012 at 12:11 pm

hahaha! CD and his stink detector! Nothing gets by him does it?!

HEAB August 16, 2012 at 2:24 am

Tracy,
No, nothing. :)

Ameena August 16, 2012 at 6:30 am

Typical subtle husband comment, right? I get more than my fair share around here!

Miava August 17, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Congrats on ur twins!! They are precious! I love being a mommy… I’m glad you still blog every now and then, it’s a great blog.

Food and kids, what a trip. Sheez. My Mia loves veggies, soups and stews, my Ava would starve without Greek yogurt and fruit. I don’t think a days go by without using either the blender, food processor, cutting board, or all of the above.

HEAB August 17, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Miava,
A trip indeed. Summer used to eat whatever we put in front of her, but now she is so picky sometimes. Last week, all she wanted was cheese and Larabars. Today it was frozen blueberries and rice crackers. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. ;)

Sara Lake August 17, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I love kale, but find it (and most leafy veges) sooo time consuming. I realise the the washing, chopping, inspecting for bugs procedure probably only takes.. 10 minutes max, but it’s enough that I don’t eat kale that often. What can I say? I’m lazy/busy.

HEAB August 17, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Sara,
I usually buy the pre-cut and washed bagged greens Let’s hear it for Team Lazy. Just so much easier. :)

beth August 18, 2012 at 8:01 pm

very fun idea, recycling these knobs?? whow, wonders never cease. looks like you might have (the) hoses on your mind, often. an outside joke…i think somebody’s got fresh air and the like in their future.

if you are interested in soaking beans to reduce phytic acid, making them more digestible, providing nutrients, let me know; it will take up a few extra lines of space, that’s all. i’m guessing and will say this reduces the fumes.

HEAB August 18, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Hi Beth, I am interested in soaking. Read Nourishing Traditions a few years ago and always try and remember to soak my grains and beans, but I don’t always remember. Definitely so many benefits to soaking.