Happy Hardware

by HEAB on August 17, 2012

I’ve never been a fan of our upstairs bathroom.  It used to be for guests only, but now it will be the bathroom for all three kids.  When CD and I moved into our house 5 years ago, I went to Target and bought a neutral colored shower curtain plus guest towels and then never set foot up there again accept to clean. Well, because I can no longer avoid said bathroom,  I decided it was time to add some cheer and make it a little more kid-friendly.

Boring bathroom…

First up, I bought this toothbrush holder from Target as Summer is now brushing her teeth…THREE TIMES A DAY.

Child is obsessed with brushing her teeth.  Actually, she’s just obsessed with eating the fruity kids’ toothpaste, but whatever.   Since then, I’ve only made one small change, but the bathroom is now a lot more fun.  Not sure if you can tell in the photos above, but the drawer pulls were these outdated shiny brass knobs.  So, I decided to contact this artist on Etsy to see if she could put together some of her vintage salvage water knobs to match the toothbrush holder.  She obliged, and voila, new knobs…

Next up, towels to match the new color scheme and maybe a simple white shower curtain.  Will my trips to Target ever end?  Sure hope not. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks August 17, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I love those little knobs – too cute! And great job on the bathroom.

I think it takes quite awhile to outgrow wanting to eat fruity toothpaste. I mean, it just tastes better than mint, right :) I still have to tell Skylar to spit it out, don’t swallow it!

j3nn August 17, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Cuteness! Simple changes can make all the difference.

And Summer brushes her teeth now? My mind is blown! But, she was JUST born like yesterday! :)

HEAB August 26, 2012 at 12:54 pm

j3nn,
Well, sort of. She just kind of chews on the toothbrush, but it’s a start. :)

Liz Dean August 17, 2012 at 11:20 pm

So Cute!!! I love, love, love the knobs! (not the old brass ones!) ;)

btw…gabby used to eat the toothpaste by the tube…have fun with that! lol

xoxo

Amanda August 17, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I love the knobs, such a cute idea. Fun too. My trips to Target will definitely never stop. I love redecorating bathrooms, much easier than bedrooms in my opinion.

Sara Lake August 18, 2012 at 12:28 am

Does it have a bath? You can’t really tell by the picture. I found the most awesome thing, which is crayons that are made of SOAP, and it’s the sort of soap that can be used for shampoo. End of screaming about not wanting to get in the bath / wash hair. :D

Sara August 18, 2012 at 12:29 am

To be clear, the purpose of them is for kids to draw all over the sides of the bath and themselves. Non-toxic.

HEAB August 26, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Sara,
Yes, the bathroom does have a bath, and I’ve seen those soap crayons. Will have to get some for Summer. She’s just now starting to love bath time again. For a few months she was not a fan. Funny how one day they like something, and the next they don’t.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance August 18, 2012 at 6:10 am

The knobs you chose are really cute! I love the idea of the vintage look, and each one being a different color. I wish I had better decorating skills!

Amanda, RD- The Nutritionist Reviews August 18, 2012 at 6:21 am

Love the water knobs! What a clever idea. I bet that Summer will love the new kid friendly bathroom.

Anna @ On Anna's Plate August 18, 2012 at 7:15 am

Hahaha…that’s too funny about Summer and the teeth-brushing. Better three times a day than to have a kid who hates it, right?!?

CUTE knobs!!!!

HEAB August 26, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Anna,

Rachel August 18, 2012 at 7:26 am

LOVE those drawer pulls! Such a fun little addition to a kids’ bathroom. Also, can I just say I always get a little jealous when stumbling into the kids’ bathroom section at Target? Is it sad I don’t have children, yet want to decorate my bathroom with every single Target kids bath accessory ever?? Don’t answer that.

HEAB August 26, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Rachel,
Haha – so true. Target has the best kids’ accessories.

Lauren (PB&G) August 18, 2012 at 8:11 am

I LOVE those drawer pulls! So unique and fun!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 18, 2012 at 9:16 am

Oh I love the pulls! Those are so cute! I am in desperate need of some changes here too. I am so ready to paint the downstairs, but kind of avoid it because it is a HUGE job to take on. The thing is, once I get going, it doesn’t take too long and I feel so much better about how the place looks. We still have the boring flat neutral builder’s paint on it and I hate it as it shows EVERY mark on the wall!

HEAB August 26, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Sarena,
Ugh, I painted a bathroom once…red! Big mistake. I put a primer and 3 to 4 coats of paint, and it still could have used another coat or two. I was traumatized and vowed to never paint another bathroom again with all those little nooks and crannies. Now, I stick to big rooms with nothing but 4 walls, and even then, I usually hire someone else to do it. ;)

Kelly August 18, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Cute knobs!!

Marty August 18, 2012 at 7:55 pm

OMgosh! I love it! The knobs are awesome, colorful, playful and great re-use idea!!! And the toothbrush holder, might just convince me to start brushing 3xday not one! Wonderful! xoxoxo m

purelymichelle August 18, 2012 at 8:18 pm

love that toothbrush holder, need to get that for my niece

Jess August 19, 2012 at 3:25 am

I love those knobs! Subtle but cheery! We are always going to Target too! :)

Tracy August 19, 2012 at 11:28 am

Cute updates! So fun to cheer up a space that is meant solely for kids. Love the knobs. Have fun!

Glad to hear Summer has clean teeth!!

Meagan August 19, 2012 at 1:04 pm

That’s so cute! I love it :) You’re so creative! What did you do with the old shower curtain? I love that too!

HEAB August 19, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Hi Meagan,
The original shower curtain has yet to be replaced. Gotta keep my Target trips spaced out – otherwise I spend too much. ;)

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) August 19, 2012 at 3:16 pm

3x! dang. girl is gonna kill em with her smile :) i love those knobs! very shabby/chic with a hint of steampunk haha. yeah i have one of those bathrooms too—no one uses it except guests and it has a beige/bamboo thing going on /snooze/

Samantha Angela August 20, 2012 at 7:41 am

Cute knobs!

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily August 20, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I wish any of my kids were obsessed with brushing their teeth, I hate fighting with them all the time!!

Cutest knobs EVER.

Sophie August 21, 2012 at 1:20 pm

This is a complete get with the programme but so great to have you back blogging :) . A per chance check & you are here yay!

Your babies are gorgeous-I’m so happy for you!

Summer brushes her teeth 3 times a day? We could all learn from her!

HEAB August 26, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Thanks Sophie, and yes, I’m back when I have something to say. :) Summer is definitely going through a “brush teeth” phase. Hope this one lasts! :)